main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    Hehe, Ben's got the right idea... women are the most frightening beings in the Universe.

2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Here's the next chapter. Thanks to all for reading and reviewing and here's the dinner scene: Gemma, Sokolniki, Falcon, Briannakin, and Nyota's Heart.

*​
    Chapter 36​
    *​

Luke had ordered a pre-prepared meal for six from a five star restaurant near the Solos’ apartment ad had it arranged to be delivered. Leia had gotten ahold of Jaina, but Jag had unfortunately not been able to come do to pressing matters with the Imperials—well, that and being several light years away. Ben had been able to get Myra to agree on the dinner on such notice—which surprised Luke frankly, he knew how busy Myra’s schedule was due to her studies.

Though, he was sure he heard the exasperation and subtle displeasure in her voice at Ben’s faux paus.

When he got off the comm system, his son wore a visible hang dog expression. Luke was quite familiar with that Luke and he couldn’t help but grin.

“You’re enjoying this.” Ben accused.

“Not so.”

“You lie badly, Dad,” He stated. “You should learn to cover that tone if you’re going to do it.”

He grinned and slipped an arm around his shoulders.

“What?”
    He looked at his father curiously.

“It’s…just that, I’ve always dreamt of this day. When you’d meet a woman that completes you the way your mother completed me.” He hugged Ben tightly. “You always
    seemed so…distraught over…well, you know.”

Ben nodded.

“You told me there would be another.”

“There always is….” Luke dropped his arm and walked over to the side table to retrieve a glass of water. “Son….when Calllista first left me, I began to despair that I’d ever find that special someone whom I was meant to spend the rest of my life with. I gave up the notion of children…of having a family. Then your mother came along, or more like she’d always been there…and I’d been too blind to see it.” His eyes started to mist over ad his voice to clog. “She was always there for me; when I felt the lowest…even when I was beyond arrogant and I’m sure she wanted to hit me upside the head. “ He smiled sadly, but Ben could hear the happiness enter his father’s voice.

Ben put a hand to his father’s arm.

“I honestly thought I’d never find anyone else to feel that way for again, then I met Melinda. I realized even though I would never share the same feelings for her I had for your mother, I could feel again. I could give my heart to another—something I thought was impossible back then.” He turned to his son. “We are capable of loving more than one person, caring for more than one…you were…and so was I.” He raised a hand to his son’s cheek. “You’ve got something wonderful, Ben, and I’m happy for you. Always be happy, my son.”

“Dad, I...”

“No, this is not about me.” He corrected, as if knowing where Ben’s thoughts were headed. “This is about you.”

“Still, your happiness means a lot to me too.”

Luke laughed. “Very well. I suppose I can’t argue with you, no more than I could with your mother.” He clapped a hand on Ben’s shoulder. “But let’s leave that discussion for later. Tonight is your night.”

Ben slid a sidelong glance to his father.

“Very well,” He mimicked.

Luke cuffed him behind the ear gently.

“Let’s get to that ready shall we. Didn’t you say you needed to pick Myra up?”

“Yeah, you’re right. I better book it. She hates it when I’m late.” He grinned. “Maybe Sev’s right.”

“About that?”

“Being whipped.”

He shook his head.

“You’re not whipped, Ben, as Sever so eloquently put it. You simply love Myra.” He paused. “But I would recommend not being late. Now, go.”
    After Ben left to pick up Myra, Luke received call on the comm unit. It was Diana Landon. He thought he’d heard the last from her two days prior; apparently he’d been mistaken.
    “Master Skywalker,” she greeted with a slight nod. “I know you didn’t expect to here from me, but I wanted you to know the article will be hitting the HoloNet tomorrow morning.” She gave a considerable pause I hope you’ll read it.”

“I look forward to it.”

He thought she would sign off, but Landon remained on the line, looking as if she wanted to say something more, but wasn’t sure how to broach the subject.

“Is something wrong, Ms. Landon?” He asked, concerned.

“No.” She said, then as if changing her mind, “Yes, there’s something bothering me. It’s about the connection I feel, it’s a little bit more.”

Luke held his tongue, letting her speak, but still dreading it nonetheless.

"I feel as if there's something I should know, but don't. I was hoping you could help me..."

"I'll do what I can, Ms. Landon."

She gave him a relieved smile, pushing her hair behind her ear: a nervous reaction.

“I thought I'd resolved everything in our last meeting, but I've still had this lingering feeling.I'm not sure what it is...but I always tend to go with my gut."

He nodded understandingly.

"Master Skywalker..." She was cut off, by a muffled voice in the distance behind her. “Shoot." She sighed. "It seems I'm needed. We'll....talk about this at a later date. And don’t hesitate to call me about the article.”

“Ms. Landon...” Luke started to protest.

She quickly logged off before Luke could say a word more.

Luke stared at the blank screen in consternation.

What had that been about? What was Landon going to say, if anything?

He thought back on what she had said.

Feeling. She’d used that word before.

It was a hard word to ignore; almost as if she knew.

He’d tried to convince himself he was imaging things, but now he was certain he hadn’t been. No, he was one hundred percent certain that Diana Landon was Force-sensitive—whether she recognized it or not.

He also knew that she wouldn’t easily leave it be; that left him in a major dilemma. He sighed deeply, and rubbed his temple absentmindedly.

He’d think about it later. Right now, he other pressing matters.
    Luke arrived at the Solo apartment early and was greeted by his sister, who gave him a warm hug and kissed him lovingly on the cheek. She ushered him, pointing him toward he living room.
    “Han’s with Jaina and Jett," She looked past him as if trying to see something. “Where’s Ben?”

“He went to pick up Myra, he’ll be here shortly.”

Luke went and joined them, kissing his niece on the cheek and ruffling Jet’s hair, before seating himself.

Ben and Myra arrived several minutes later. It was obvious Ben was barely able to contain the smile that threatened his face. Seeing this, Myra sent him a silent reprimand with his eyes. He was going to blow it before he even had a chance to tell his news. Luke chuckled and Han slid him a look. He simply smiled as if to say, ah, youth.

Han didn’t look convinced. Instead, he raised an eyebrow.

Leia, as if sensing Han’s skepticism, spoke up:

“Well, now that everyone’s here, shall we eat?”

“That sounds good.” Ben said. “I’m starved.”

Myra rolled her eyes and gave him a gentle shove. Ben looked back and gave her a lop-sided smile; one that shone from down deep in his soul.

Leia stepped up to her brother and gently leaned next to him. He looked to his sister, catching her gaze, before they both returned to watching the young couple. Ben still held a wild grin on his face and devil may care gleam in his eyes as he and Myra clasped hands. In the young man’s eyes, the siblings could see the utter love ad adoration he had for the woman before him.

Leia smiled softly.

“Just look at him, Luke. He’s happy.”

He nodded. “And she makes him that way.” He paused. “As if she’s the only thing in his world.”

She nodded this time then turned to him.

“Are you happy, Luke?” She asked.

“You know I am.”

She reached out and squeezed his arm. “Good, now let’s get down to that dinner. I’m almost at my limit.”

Leia was barely concealing her excitement—and it didn’t take the Force to see that. They were only lucky Myra wasn’t Force-sensitive.Luke turned his gaze to Han--his brother-in law was a different matter entirely. The Corellian was too suspicious for his own good.

They all made their way to the dining area and took their seats around the oval table. Well, all but one, Luke noticed. His brother-in-law hadn’t seated himself yet and instead was scanning the faces around the table. He then picked up his glass filled with wine and raised it slightly.

“Ahem,” Han made a grand gesture of clearing his throat. “I’d like to make a toast.”

Leia and Luke exchanged glances. What was he up to?

“A toast to my nephew…”

Ben gauged his uncle and felt Myra squeezed his hand tightly.

“For gathering us here today.” Han paused. “I’m not the best at this sort of thing….but when family gets together, it’s a reason to celebrate.” He shrugged slightly and sat down.

"Cheers," Jaina said cheerfully, barely concealing her grin behind her glass.

Luke blinked twice, trying not to gawk at his friend, but knew he was failing miserably at it when, Leia nudged him gently. He looked to his sister and caught then knowing look in her eye,

….when family gets together, it’s a reason to celebrate.

The meaning behind Han’s words couldn’t have been clearer than crystal: he knew.

Luke caught his son’s gaze and both knew that the jig was up.

And apparently so did Myra judging by the hold she had on Ben’s upper arm.

Yeah, I know it seemed like I'd put the Diana thing to rest...but I wanted it to be brought back up again..not sure how its going to go...

Falcon likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great chapter. I loved the father/son moments, but Diana - UGGGGH. Can't wait for more.

4. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

I know, I know. I'm thinking of doing it like this one book I read...Sometimes all the strings don't get tied up...maybe..just maybe..

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi. I loved the Ben/Luke moment ... so warm and real and IC. =D= The dinner :D Bless Han. He doesn't miss a thing! [face_love]

~~

I was absolutely surprised about the Diana thingy. I thought it was Melinda calling. EJF, I thought you were the last one to leave loose ends. You're so good at collecting any that might dangle in other fics, including Crossing [face_laugh] [face_thinking]

6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I decided that wouldn't sit well with me so I figured how to tie it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved the dinner - can't wait for the end of dinner. And the thing with Diana - did not see that one coming. And I want more Melinda, please.

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    More Melinda shall come. Ive planned for her to be in the next chapter. Its going to be a big step

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    And here it is: took me awhile to get this done. Thanks to reviewers: Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, and Gemma.

*​
    Chapter 37​
    *​

After his toast, Han sat down as if he hadn’t said a thing.

“Let’s eat.” He had said, ending the toast.

Myra was sending a questioning, almost scathing look in Ben’s direction, while the youth was trying to play it off calmly. The young woman restrained herself though, as if holding off the chewing out her fiancé was sure to receive for later.

His son, he decided, was a dead man.

Despite all this, Myra handled the rest of the evening with aplomb in the light of Han’s insinuation. She graciously thanked Leia for having her over and commented on the food.

It was Corellian.

“It’s from that café a few streets down right, Luke?” Leia directed the inquiry to her brother.

“Right.”

The place Luke had ordered the food from was a Corellian restaurant Han favored. The meal was also significant because Myra herself was a Corellian; a fact that Han was over the moon about.

So, needless to say, it was very significant to Myra herself.

Han began serving himself. “Nothing better than some good spicy food, right, Myra?”

She smiled. “Absolutely,” She looked it over with a pleased look. “The looks wonderful, I always enjoy some good Corellian food.” Myra started to pick up her fork, but then seemed to think better of it and placed it down.

Luke caught the look in her eyes; determination clear.

“But...”

His sister’s mouth formed an O, and he saw his son’s muscles seize as if waiting for the other shoe to drop.

“But, before we eat, I’d like to thank you, for including me in this. For making me feel a part of your family, I love mine and I’d love to be a part of yours.” Tears barely glistened in her eyes. “That’s part of the reason Ben and I have gathered you here today…” She looked to her fiancé and he reached over to squeeze her hand.

Ben smiled, looking deep into her eyes for a moment, returning the squeeze before turning his attention back to the others.

“Myra and I are getting married.” He announced, pride in his voice.

Luke simply smiled, noting the light that entered his son’s eyes. He had no doubt the boy loved his fiancée, but now he saw the happiness, vivid in his clear blue eyes.

There were whoops of joy and pleased gasps.

Most of the party was already privy to the secret, and Han had obviously suspected the same, but still they did their best to disguise this. He could tell though that their excitement was genuine; to actually hear the news first hand from Ben’s own lips.

Leia and Han simultaneously let out their joy at the news.

“This is so wonderful.” Leia exclaimed, tears springing to her eyes.

She got up to embrace Myra then Ben.

“I knew it!” Han crowed

Myra looked up startled.

“That obvious, huh, Uncle Han?” Ben was positively grinning from ear tear.

“I had a feeling.” He said smugly, “Luke rarely calls a dinner, it’s usually your aunt that does it.” He shook his glass at them, sloshing liquor onto the table.

“Han!”

“Don’t worry, sweetheart, it’ll come out.” He gave a devilish grin. “Besides, we’ve got more important things to do.”

Ben lifted his brow.

“Like drink to this.” Han informed as he picked up a decanter of whiskey and generously began to pour his nephew a tumbler full. “Bottoms up, Junior. We’re going to have a true toast.”

Han refilled his glass and lifted it once more.

“I couldn’t agree more.”

Everyone turned to Luke to see him rising from his seat, a contented looking spreading across his face, reach all the way to his eyes. He crossed over to Ben and wrapped him in his arms, hugging him tight. His only child had become a man, but now he was about to become a husband. He sniffled, trying to stop the flow of tears that threatened to fall.

“Dad…” Ben ventured, “You all right?”

Luke released Ben, blinking away the tears.

“Yes, I’m just so proud of you…and I’ve always been.”

He touched the Ben’s hair briefly and in his mind he could see the freckled-face red-headed boy standing on the bridge of the Jade Shadow. He was grinning mischievously, revealing that he’d cleverly duped his “dumb” Nanny droid.

Ben cocked his head.

“What’s that look for?” He asked.

“Oh, just reminiscing…” He patted his son on the shoulder then went to embrace his daughter-in-law. “Welcome to our family, Myra, but know this…you always were.”

Now it was Myra’s turn to start crying.

“Thank you.” She sniffed.

He nodded warmly, before releasing her.

The three remaining members took turns embracing the coupe and wishing them the best, then took their seats once more.

Ben leaned over and gently wiped his fiancée’s tears away with his fingers. It was such a gentle act.

Han cleared his throat, signifying Luke wasn’t the only one who had noticed.

Jaina grinned.

“Let’s eat and get toasted shall we?” She announced merrily.

Jag gave a startled look in his wife’s direction, but Jaina was clearly oblivious in light of the moment. Luke couldn’t help but chuckle, the girl was so much like her father it was scary.

As everyone settled down to eating and drinking, he swept his gaze over his family. The joy and love was palpable in the air and in the Force as well. So much so it overwhelmed him and made his heart swell.

His life couldn’t have been more perfect then it was at this moment.

A sudden feeling niggled at the back of his brain.

Well, maybe…there was something more, he concluded.

Something that would make it more complete.

The dinner concluded three hours later--being extended by conversation, desert, and then caf in the living room. Ben and Myra took their leave first, hugging and kissing everyone, while his sister wrung a promise out of Myra to get together to discuss wedding details.

“Absolutely.” Myra said graciously.

Luke could see the ideas turning over in his sister’s brain like cogs. If there was one thing, Leia took pleasure in was wedding planning. And she was an expert at expediently putting one together. When Myra informed her of the desired date, Leia’s eyes lit up.

“I think we can pull that off,” She said with a wink. “Call me tomorrow; you have our number.”

“I will,” Myra promised then turned to her husband-to-be. “The dinner was great,” She added, then disappeared out the door with Ben in tow.

His sister beamed with pleasure.

“Look like you have your work cut out for you.” He commented, lingering in the foyer.

“Yes, it’ll be a tight, but I think I can do it.”

Luke leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

“OF that I have no doubt, you did have a lot to do with our wedding.”

“Only until Threepio took over.” She reminded him dryly.

“Still.” He stepped back, “You did a marvelous job, Mara and I would have been a wreck without your expertise.”

She rolled her eyes at his clear exaggeration.

Leia patted his arm. “Well, there won’t be any terrorists this time, so that’ll make my job a bit easier....” She jested.

Luke let out a light-hearted laugh; his sister did always know how to make him laugh—and now there was no better time to do so.

Luke had bid his sister and Han goodnight then took his leave as well. He stepped out into the night, feeling the cool air against his face, and stood there for a moment. He was still smiling and his heart retained the light feeling it had early in the evening. He looked back up at the building where his sister lived before stepping onto the pedwalk, starting for home.

He had taken a skycab there, but decided to take advantage of the beautiful night. As he walked, he couldn’t help but think of good things that had come to be; all the wonderful, new moments in life. He thought about all the people in his life who brought him great joy; his sister, his brother-in-law, Jaina, Jag and little Jett. He thought of his son and his new bride-to-be and the future that awaited them.

He stopped, his beloved Mara coming to mind, and he wished she could be with him now to share in his joy. He felt wordless caress as a particularly strong gust blew and reflexively squeezed his eyes shut. The wind whistled in his ears and tingling feeling raced up his spine.

Open your eyes.

His eyes opened at this, lashes fluttering, and Luke noticed the wind had died down considerably. He looked around searching for what he knew not.

Then there, off in the distance, a figured lingered. Female. She had long hair that was brilliantly reflected under the moon light and was dressed in a volumous coat that did poor job at hiding her figure. A hint of familiarity coursed through him as the sweet scent of blossoms wafted along the breeze.

His face softened, and his eyes lit warmly.

“Melinda…” He breathed.

“Hello, Luke.” She said softly.

He stared openly at her, his head spinning, his blood humming loudly.

“I… wanted to see you.”

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update! I loved the family moment and the mention of Mara. Can't wait for more!

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  11. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks a bunch, I enjoyed writing this part.

12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved this; but I'm going to be the Cookie Monster; I want more, please....

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I was grinning and melting from first to last. Fantabulous sweetness with the family and genuine welcome of Myra. The mention of Mara was perfect in tone and Luke's reaction to Melinda --- [face_dancing]

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    great update and poor Ben, Myra figured out he spilled the beans by her reactions.

More soon

15. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Loved the update.

One goof though, you previously said Jag couldn't be there and then have a line where he is a dinner?

16. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Crap, I thought id gotten rid of that cause I read through it and was like, oh yeah jag couldn't be there. Delete delete.

17. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    So you just want that dinner reference deleted on the running Word copy I have?

BTW, TFN is not giving me emails again for watched thread updates. GRRRR....

Sue

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Ah yea that would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I know it's been at least three months or more that I've posted a chapter for this story (shame on me). So I thank all those who reviewed, and have waited, Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, Gemma, Falcon, and jedi1952.

Chapter 38​
    Luke stared into her eyes with wonder.
    “I’m sorry, I know it’s soon but…” She approached him. “You’ve been on my mind a lot.”
    He smiled. “So have you.”
    “Would you care for a late night dessert and some caf?” She inquired.
    “I would love that.” He gently offered his arm to her. “I know a great place that’s open late. They serve the most aromatic caf. I go there for the hot chocolate though.”
    She looked at him, her eyes twinkling.
    “Of course,” Melinda laughed lightly. “You have quite a sweet tooth, my dear, don’t you?”
    My dear… The appellation startled him from a moment. Mulling it over in his head, his heart began to soften. It had been a long time someone had called him something with such fondness.
    It was…nice.
    “Not always,” He said with a shake of his head.
    “Well, I think you’re sweet.” She added coquettishly.
    Luke looked at her in surprise. In all the weeks he’d know her, he’d never known Melinda to act in a flirtatious manner. It was startling but also… quite refreshing.
    “Luke? Are you all right?” She inquired. “By the look in your eyes I see I’ve caught you off guard.” She tilted her head. “I do hope I haven’t embarrassed [SW1]you. It’s just that…it’s so refreshing to see a man blush at my age.”
    She place her hand gently in his.
    He shook his head, smiling warmly.
    “You haven’t.”
    “Good.” She leaned in close. “Now, let’s pop in to the café. I’ve got a craving for berry cake.”
    They arrived at the café five minutes later and ordered caf, hot chocolate, and two slices of frazberry cake. When they were left alone Melinda turned her attention back to Luke.
    “So, how did the dinner go?” She asked.
    “Good, though something tells me Ben has landed himself in a world full of trouble.” He went on to explain to her Han’s blatant suggestions; i.e. the fact he knew about the engagement. It hadn’t really surprised him. Han was always very perceptive, and it wasn’t easy to pull the Bantha wool over Han Solo’s eyes.
    “Oh dear...” Melinda said with a chuckle after he’d finished. “Well, I suspect he will survive. It’s all part of being married.”
    Their cakes arrived then. Luke properly thanked the waiter and sent him on his way. Melinda smiled happily as she added sucrose and creamer to her caf, turning it a pleasant light brown color.
    Luke watched her intently, paying attention to the graceful manner in which she prepared her caf. Her hands move with such fluidity. It should have seemed odd to be so entranced by such a mundane event but he was so engaged.
    “Melinda...”
    She lifted her head questioningly, setting her spoon aside.
    “Yes?”
    “As much as I love my family, I’d like to…take the conversation elsewhere.”
    Her eyes peered into his with curiosity. It was her turn to blush, such as the intensity of the look he was giving her.
    “What would you like to talk about?”
    “Nothing.”
    She smiled, and even without words, understood his meaning.
    “All right, that sounds nice.”
    Words spoke for themselves after all. They spent the remainder of the evening talking about nothing, but everything all at once. It was simply the enjoyment of each other’s company that made all conversation unnecessary; and caused everyone else to fade into the background. A chime sounded in the background, alerting them to the time.
    Luke looked up and took in the almost empty café.
    “It’s closing time.” Melinda commented casually.
    He turned his eyes to her. “Seems so.” Luke turned his gaze to his empty plate and cup. “I think it’s time to get you home, Madame.”
    She grinned in return.
    “I suppose so.”
    She moved to rise and was met by Luke who pulled her chair out. She smiled graciously, gently touching his hand briefly. Luke then pulled out credits out of his pocket and placed them on the table.
    “Shall we go?” He asked, turning back to Melinda.
    She looked to him then toward the back of the café.
    “I’m going to pop into the refresher first. Wait for me outside.”
    He looked as if he would protest but instead nodded.
    “All right, I’ll be outside.”
    Luke turned and headed for the exit. A server wished him good night and he returned the pleasantry, stepping out into the cool night air. He was waiting exactly a minute when Melinda joined him outside. Her cheeks were a light pink and her hair looked as if it had been recently primped. It lay in glorious mahogany [SW2]waves about her shoulders, shining under the light of the moon.
    “Shall we?” He asked.
    “Yes, it’s getting late.”
    Although the hour was late, they strolled at a leisurely pace as if there was nothing pressing at the moment. Melinda remained close to his side, their shoulders brushing against one another as they walked.
    “You know, I spoke to my children tonight.” She said softly.
    He shot her a glance.
    “You did?”
    “Yes, they agreed to meet you.”
    “When?”
    “The day after tomorrow.” She set her lips. “Is that doable for you?”
    Luke’s brow wrinkled as if going over his schedule in his head.
    “Yes, that’s fine.”
    His eyes softened, taking on a quality of true bliss. He gently brushed the pad of his thumb against her hand and he brought it to his lips. She smiled slowly with her own eyes reflecting joy. Standing there, they both remained transfixed in the moment until a spattering of rain droplets pelted them.
    “Oh, dear!” Melinda uttered, as a cold drop hit her face.
    She raised her arm as if to ward it off. The rain then began to change from a light drizzle to a downpour—a very cold downpour.
    “Under the eaves,” Luke instructed, as he covered her with his robe.
    They hurried through the rain to the nearest awning in front of a posh restaurant. By the time they reached it they were soaked to the skin; Luke more than she. They stood under the bright red awning out of the rain, brushing off and squeezing out what excess water they could. Luke looked to Melinda, who was shrouded by his dark robes, looking quite flustered, yet lovely despite the sudden rain.
    “Are you all right?” He asked, brushing back hair from his forehead.
    “Yes, I’m fine.” She replied, letting the robe’s cowl fall to her shoulders. “A bit wet, but none worse for wear. You seem to have taken the brunt of it.” She looked on with concern.
    “I’ll be fine. A little rain never hurt anyone.”
    Melinda frowned.
    “Perhaps not, but pneumonia has been known to do just that.” She sighed heavily. “You didn’t need to do that, Luke.”
    “What sort of gentleman would I be if I let a lady get soaked?”
    She shook her head, laughing lightly.
    “Fair enough; this round goes to you.”
    “Well, it’s not exactly a competition.”
    She said playfully, “Too bad. I’ll have you know I love a good challenge.” Her eyes sparkled with mirth.
    He chuckled.
    “Sounds fun,” He reached up and touched her face. “Your skin is cold; why don’t we get out of the rain? I’ll get us a ride.”
    As they waited, Melinda tried to convince Luke to share the robe, frightened for him.
    “You don’t need to be so heroic all the time.”
    “Ah, but I do, I have a reputation to uphold.”
    Within a minute, a silver, hard-topped speeder pulled up. The door popped open and Ben leaned over the passenger seat.
    “You called for a ride.”
    “Yes, thanks for coming, Ben. I hope I didn’t mess up your plans.”
    “Nah, I already dropped Myra off at her dorm. Hop in.” He narrowed his eyes. “You looked like a drowned womp rat, Dad.”
    “Thanks…” Luke said dryly. “Get in, Melinda.”
    “But…”
    “I wouldn’t argue with him. He’s very stubborn.”
    Her shoulders sagged as she maneuvered into the front seat. Melinda opened her mouth to object and Luke slid in to the back seat.
    “Don’t mind me. I’ve handled worse.” He lounged back. “Let’s get Melinda to her apartment,” He gave Ben the directions. He leaned forward and turned on the heat to assuage the chill in his passengers.
    “All right,” He looked back to his father. “Thanks gods the seats are leather.” Luke leaned forward and cuffed him gently.
    “Smart mouth. Just fly.”
    “Righto.” He pulled up into the skylanes, taking care to fly slowly in the pouring rain. “So, you kids have fun?”
    Ben laughed as he ducked his father’s hand.

Gemma likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I loved the easy warmth and happiness between Melinda and Luke. They're savoring each and every second. [face_dancing] They truly deserve it. :D

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh! I love the warmth of those two. But Ben just cracks me up.

22. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Ben\s hilarious. Loved the scene between Luke and Melinda.

23. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Good filler chapter and it built up Melinda's and Luke's friendship. Nice touch at the end with Ben picking them up.

Now whatever happened to the blond reporter? You retired her once in the story and then reserected her. So where is she? Have we got a cat fight on the horizon? :p

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Nah I think that's the last we'll hear of Diana. I actually hadn't intends for the scene with Luke and Melinda to be so long, but it had a mind of its own.

25. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Nice update. Enjoyed the time Melinda and Luke spent together and the ease with which they seem to have for one another. Liked Ben's appearance at the end -- cute.