main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks, it took be quite a bit of brainstorming to figure out how to end things between them. I wanted their to be no lingering feelings. But Diana had to come to her discovery herself without Luke's help

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nicely done! Everybody is happy...except Leia who is mad about being kept in the dark about Ben's engagement. :D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    that last line Luke is so busted

more soon

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Very plausible explanation for Diana's subtle nonverbals. =D= And LOL I guess Luke indeed has some explaining to do. ;)

5. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    WOW --- it's taken me several nights to read through what you have here. I am absolutely enthralled with this story and am enjoying all of the twists and turns you have taken. I loved the poster boy moment. The emotions that Luke shared with Melinda and how understanding she is of Luke's love of Mara - touching to say the least. And all of the sub characters of the children - just adore them and the family relations. I am looking forward to see what happens next please tag me so I will know when your next post occurs (I think that's what it is called -- I new here). I love your portrayal of all of the major characters --- they are dead on.

6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Wow thanks so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Note: Here it is, folks, the new chapter. Worked on this for a few hours tonight. I'd like to thank all who waited patiently and have reviewed: newdawn12, Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, Falcon, Nyota's Heart...and thank you to Gemma, for taking time (several nights) to read my fic all the way through up to this point.

Chapter 34​
    Ben stared off into the distance, restlessly drumming his fingers.

“Ben,” his fiancée nudged him gently. “Are you there?”

He came out of his stupor. “Sorry, Myra, were you saying something?”

“Yes,” She sighed, “I’ve been asking you for one straight minute to pass me that mathematics book.” She smiled sardonically. “And all I got is a blank look for my efforts. Surely, I’m not boring you.” Her tone was reproachful yet playful as well.

He looked abashed. “Sorry. I called Dad and well, he sounded pretty anxious.”

“Problems with that reporter?”

“No, I don’t think that’s it.” He scratched his head. “But I felt this foreboding….it’s still tickling at the back of my mind.”

“Did he say what it was?”

“That’s just it. He said he was busy and that he’d call me back.”

“Hm.” Myra lifted the stylus to her mouth and began to chew on it.

“And I felt something dark….scary.”’

“Like a Sith?”

He shook his head. “No, I don’t think that’s it. This was something….different.”

“Hope it’s nothing too serious.”

“Me too.” He looked to the mathematics book. “Now, you wanted this?” He offered it to her.
    Leia stood, letting her arms drop.

“I suppose I can’t be angry with you if Ben wanted to tell us himself.”

Luke thanked the Force he had such an understanding sister. She possessed Anakin’s temper as much as he did, and the aura he had felt had been slightly unnerving. He wouldn’t say it had darkside tendencies, but Leia was not to be trifled with.

He nodded. “Now, where exactly did you hear about this? I haven’t told anyone.” Well, except Melinda, but he thought it best not to open that can of worms.

“Jaina.”

“Jaina?!”

“Yes, apparently little Fel ears were wide open. Jett just had to tell me a secret.” She paused. “That was after Jaina told him to keep it quiet. The boy cannot keep a secret to save his life.”

“Where was this?”

“Jaina figures Jett was lurking in the Room of a Thousand Fountains, when the conversation took place.”

Luke sighed. “Well….” He ran his hand through his hair. “I suppose the nexu is out of the bag; nothing I can do about it now. “ He looked to her. “Only please keep this quiet. He really wanted to tell you himself.”

She made a face. “I can keep a secret, don’t worry. Only Jaina and I know, and she had a severe talk with Jett afterword.” Leia shook her head. “She ended up bribing him not to say a word to Han.”

Luke smirked at this, trying to hide his grin behind his hand.

“A method we’ve all had to use.” She reminded him as if he might object.

“Yes, as much as I hate to say it. It did happen more the once.” He smiled wistfully.

“They group up so fast don’t they? One minute they’re your little child and the next they’re grown up and married.” Tears pricked Leia’s eyes.

“They had to grow up someday.” He said quietly. “And I know that I did everything I could to ensure he grew up right.”
    Leia leaned in and hugged Luke tightly.

“You’re a good father, Luke,” She said. ”I always knew you would be.”
    Ben spent his day at the Temple, teaching his scheduled classes. His father hadn’t called him back, so he was starting to get worried. The only comfort he had taken was that he’d seen the Grand Master milling about the Temple grounds. He ended his class on basic lightsaber forms and headed to the dining hall for lunch. He entered, searching for that familiar form—the old man had to eat sometime. He didn’t spot his father at first, then, as he was proceeding to the food line, he spied him seated at a table in the corner with three other masters; Kyp Durron, Kyle Katarn, and Corran Horn.

He debated whether to wait for lunch to finish or to confront his father directly. He observed the conference of masters; their heads were bent together comradely. It didn’t look like a particularly serious moment as evidence by Master Horn’s gamin grin and his father’s amused smile. A certain light glinted in his blue eyes.

Like a feral canine, Ben’s hackles seemed to rise in slight irritation. Here he was worried about what was going on and his father was just carrying on as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

He was just about to cross the room when something stopped him. His own voice of reason. Wait, the last time I went off halfcocked Dad bit my head off. He’d been severely in the wrong if he recalled. If he didn’t want a repeat of the Melinda fiasco he wouldn’t confront his father like a surly teenager, but a reasonable adult. He drew in a breath and got in line for lunch. After he had gotten it, he found a seat next to Valin and a young Jedi Knight named Sever Rune.

“Afternoon, guys,” Ben greeted, setting down next to Sever.

“Hey, Ben.” Sever greeted him.

Sever, a blond haired, blue eyed youth, was a recently knighted Jedi whom Ben had taken under his wing. He was five years younger than Ben and up until recently hadn’t had any close friends at the academy—Ben suspected it was because of Sever’s overly cautious nature. When he had arrived at the Temple, Ben had been the first one to notice how ill at ease the young man seemed. He’d pulled him aside one afternoon after class and told him that if there was anything he had a problem with he was free to come to him.

“We’re like family here, Sever, you can trust us.” Ben had assured.

Sever had thanked him for his concern, and that was the last Ben heard from Sever until three weeks later. He had asked Ben to meet him in the garden, whereupon entering it, finally let it all out. Ben had been relieved that Sever had finally felt comfortable enough to entrust someone with whatever was bothering him.

“Thanks.” Sever said.

“That’s what friends are for, Sever.”’

The young Knight gave a considering look. “I’ve never had a friend…” He responded with a smile.

And Sever had stuck to Ben ever since.

“-en.”

His musings were disturbed just then when an object pegged him gently in the side of the head. Semi-startled, he broke out of his reverie and looked down to the table were a tiny balled piece of foil had landed.

“That got his attention.” Sever chortled gleefully.

“Naturally.” Valin said.

Ben touched his head where the foil had bounced off and looked to Valin. The older Knight was wearing a large grin, looking far too pleased with himself for Ben’s liking.

“You have my attention, Valin.” He said dryly.

“Good, because, I was tired of talking what might as well been a brick wall.” He picked up a piece of meat and shredded it with his fingers.

“Sorry, I was just taking a trip down memory lane.”

Valin groaned. “Please tell me you’re not going to start lamenting times gone past like some old man.”

Ben made a show of bristling.

“Are you calling me an old man, Horn?” He challenged.

“Never.” Valin promised with a grin.

"If anyone's old around, here it's you."

“Fellas, fellas,” Sever interjected. “Let’s agree to disagree….” He paused meaningfully. “That you’re both old.”

Valin and Ben waded up their napkins and chucked them at him.

“Smart mouth.” Valin shot back.

“Thanks.” Sever rejoined, a smirk on his lips.

Valin started to ball up another piece of foil. “You know, Ben, if you really want to talk to your dad instead of dealing with this clown...”

“Clown!” Sever seemed to squawk.

Valin finished, “You’re welcome to leave us…we’ll still be here when you get back.”

Ben looked at him, surprise visible in his eyes.

“I saw you looking at the Master’s table from the food line.” He explained.

Ben shrugged nonchalantly. “I just need to talk to Dad about something, but it can wait until he’s finished.” He picked up his fork. “Plus, I’m starving."

“All right, Sever announced. “Now, that that’s settled, let’s get down to business.”

“Business of what?” Ben asked.

“Throwing you a bachelor party of course.”

Ben almost choked on his meat. After he had quit coughing, his eyes darted around the room as if to see who’d heard Sever’s words. He shot a look at Valin.

Valin looked around, then dropped his voice low. “Well, how the kriff am I supposed to throw you a party if no one knows?”

Ben frowned. “But how…”

“You and Myra were meant to be together. I thought eventually it would come to a head for you two.” He rubbed his hands together. “So I made it my business to be prepared.”

“So, you can’t say no.” Sever rebuked.

“He’d be an idiot to say no. What kind of man says no to a bachelor party?" He paused. "Well there is one man in mind that I think would have better off saying no...”

Ben rolled his eyes. He was all too familiar what Valin was referring to: i.e. his father’s failed bachelor party.

Sever looked confused, obviously missing the private joke. He shook his head. “So, are we green to go?”

Ben smiled foolishly. “Of course.”

“All right.” Sever crowed.

Valin lifted his glass. “Here’s to Ben.”

“To Ben.” The younger Knight concurred.

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    cats out of the bag and I can't wait for more :)

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What a nice blend here, EJF!!!! First the Ben/Myra gentle teasing and his foreboding ;) Then the Luke/Leia sibling warm/fuzzy. Then Ben with Valin and Sever -- bantering and snarking. You really are tops at the snarkness. LOL

10. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    It just occurred to me that I didnt describe Sever

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    A bachelor party. Nothing bad happens at bachelor parties. :p Nice update.

12. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    So I fully intend to do the bachelor party scene if briefly. And severs description is there now

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sever sounds nice and keeps up well with Valin and Ben snipping ;) That was sweet of Ben to take Sever on as a kind of mentoring relationship when he first arrived. @};-

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update. It's nice to see Ben with friends his age.

15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    There's more, I'll introduce those guys later.

16. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved the description of Nexu out of the bag --- I'll have to remember that one next time I can use it... This is very good but I'm anxious for more Luke/Melinda. And I like the rounding out of the history for the reporter later -- very nicely done.

17. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    Haven't been able to finished reading all you have up, got up to the second interview so far, but I'm loving what I'm seeing. If you respond to this, I'll not see it until I finished the rest of what you have up... just sort of getting my thoughts down before I head to sleep, and then into work and would rather not lose track of my thoughts up to this point.

Always wanted Luke to find a way to move on after Mara, and like his sense of uncertainty around women. For all his knowledge and wisdom, the female heart still eludes his comprehension... any man can relate to this... Especially when its a smart and witty woman like Melinda.

I especially love that Corran Horn (Who actually is my favorite character of the EU, thanks for including him in this story) is still unable to shake his CorSec tendencies of investigating anything he feels suspicious. Having had friends in the police force, I can actually relate to Luke in the sense that he feels his friend is maybe being a little paranoid.

The portion with Jaina and her son was adorable, and I found myself cracking up when Ben was breaking his father out of his meditation.

Edit after finishing what you have thus far:

I quite enjoyed the direction you made Diana's story regarding her feelings go. Quite looking forward to reading more in the future of the rest of the story.

That said, I was under the impression that Coruscant was liberated in 6/7 ABY in regards to the celebration that Melinda and her family participated in.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I.might have gotten the timing wrong

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Here it is, the long awaited next chapter

Sokolniki, Nyota's Heart, Gemma, Briannakin, Falcon, and Jedi_Lover.
    Chapter 35
    Ben had talked the guys out of actually throwing him the party right away. He knew if Myra learned the beans had somehow gotten spilled before he could tell his family, he’d be toast.

“Absolutely not.” He said adamantly.

Sever’s shoulders heaved in dejection.

“Man, you are so whipped.”

"Maybe, but at least I'm smart," He smirked. "Which is more I can say for some people."

Sever made a face. "Are you sure the Grand Master is your father?" He groused. "You can be so hurtful sometimes."

Valin snorted. "You forget who his mother was."

Sever had never actually met Mara Jade Skywalker since she had died way before his time here.

“Exactly, it’s a very charming characteristic.”

Sever sighed as this then changed the subject, “So, bachelor party. I was thinking this on place, got rebuilt and moved.The Red Rancor.”

Ben and Valin gaped openly at him , Valin letting out a loud guffaw.

“What?” Sever looked entirely confused.

“That’s….that’s...the cantina where...where…” Valin was laughing too much to finish his sentence.

“Where my dad has his?” Ben finished

Sever goggled at this.

“What?”

Sever examined their faces and came to a conclusion that they obviously holding back something.

“What is it you’re not telling me?”

Valin turned to Ben, asking conversationally. “So, how are your dad and his lady friend? They seem to be getting along well.”

“Good, I guess.” He wasn’t entirely comfortable talking about his father’s love life.

“Hey!” Sever objected, noting the abrupt change in subject.

Vain smiled a secret smile, as if relishing the moment.

“Good. But we really need to start planning your party at least. I’ll even foot the bill.”

Ben raised an eyebrow.

“C’mon, what could go wrong?”

“Don’t you know those are famous last words ‘not’ to use?”

“Hey!” Sever shouted once more. “Don’t you ignore me. Jerks” He muttered.

Ben and Valin smirked, their smiles bordering on humor.

Sever scoffed in disgust.

“You guys really suck.”

“I know.” Ben tossed an arm about his shoulders. “But what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t mess with your head once in awhile.” He slugged him in the shoulder good naturedly.

Sever sighed,

“I guess.”

Ben slapped him on the shoulder this time.

“So, now that that’s settled. How about some slingball? We’ll see who we can round up.” He looked to Sever. “As a show of good faith, I’ll even tell you all about that….if you can beat me that is.”

Sever shot back, “You’re on.”

“That’s the Sev, I know.”

They managed to round up a good amount of interested participants and commandeered an empty training room: complete with mats and protective gear. The match lasted two hours long and Ben’s team took the victory. In the end, much to Sever’s surprise, Ben offered to tell him about the bachelor party, reminding him much of what he was about to tell was hearsay.

Though, it was probably all was true.

“They still invite trouble.” Valin pronounced.
    After a shower, a snack to replenish his strength, Ben searched out his father.

“Do you think Aunt Leia and Uncle Han, could meet up for dinner on short notice?” He asked, finding his father meditating in their own quarters.

Luke opened his eyes briefly, saying, “I think so,” before letting them close once more. “Seeing how your Aunt already knows, that shouldn't; be too hard to arrange.”

“What?”

He opened his eyes and unfolded his legs.

“Yes, and she wasn’t very happy.”

Ben groaned.

“She confronted me this afternoon. in fact, I’d say not happy was an understatement.” His tone was light and joking.

“This is not funny.”

“I agree, I had to explain to her that it was your wish the news be kept a secret till the appropriate time.”

“So, you basically threw me to the rancor?”

“The truth is a harsh mistress, Son,” He shrugged. “I was left with no other choice.”

Ben sighed, running his hand through his hair.

“Except the truth, has landed me in deep poodo with Aunt Leia.” A certain light came into his eyes as a thought occurred to him. “Not to mention Myra.” He groaned again.

“You’ll survive. I have faith in you.”

Ben rolled his eyes. “Thanks for your support.”

“That’s what I’m here for after all.”

His father stood up..

“I’ll make that call to your aunt...I think she’ll be eager for this dinner.” He Walked over to the comm station and put in a call to his sister. Neither his sister nor Han picked up, but Threepio did.

“Ah, Master Luke, to what do I owe the pleasure of this communication?”

“I needed to reach Leia, I wanted to set up a dinner with them tonight at their place if possible. Tell Leia she doesn't have to cook; I’ll take care of everything.Her place has more space for multiple people.”

“I shall relay the message to her, Master Luke, at the earliest.”

“that will be fine. Threepio.”

Luke disconnected the call. “Well, I did my part. That leaves you for yours tonight.”

“Let’s hope Aunt Leia’s in a good mood this time.” Ben sighed.

“She loves it when we come over, so perhaps.”

“I’m banking on that, Dad.”
    Leia called back an hour later.

“We’d love to have dinner, it;s been awhile since we’ve had a family gathering.” Leia said, her face beaming with joy. “Should I contact Jaina and Jag?”

“Yes, this involves the whole family.”

His sister arched an eyebrow.

“Should I know what this is about?”
    “Yes, but let’s just keep what you're thinking between you and me. Myra doesn't know the surprise has been ruined.”

“Oh. I see. Well, you won’t hear a word of it from me..” She smiled happily. “I’ll see you tonight, brother.”

“See you tonight, Leia.”

Falcon likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Looking forward to the family time. Love the father-son banter as always.

21. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    “I agree, I had to explain to her that it was your wish the news be kept a secret till the appropriate time.”

“So, you basically threw me to the rancor?”
    Poor Ben I can't wait to see how the dinner unfolds and the bachlerlor party

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update, can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

23. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Great update, looking forward to the family dinner, I hope you can include Melinda.

24. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    I have been following this story on the other site. Didn't realize you have updated it here. I now have Both sites on alert for updates to the story. :)

25. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    That's great! I haven't updated fanfic ion.net yet I was at work during lunch