main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After its all said and done....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by apache, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apache

apache Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    What impact will Star Wars have left on the world? 50 years from now, will star wars be talked about in a sense like we talk about famous literature today? Will George Lucas' name be brought up with Shakespear? This is something that I was thinking about earlier. Lucas goes to alot of different places for his work.

Give some examples of famous literature that you can find in star wars.

Thought this might be fun to talk about.

Enjoy.

2. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    Hell, the Bible for starters. We're still talking about that 4,000 years later. It's still the number one selling book(or novel, depending how you feel about it) in the world...

EDIT: I like your user name. :)

3. apache

Feb 16, 2005
    thanks man.

Yeah the Bible in some ways I suppose.

I remember someone saying Anakin was like what would happen if Christ had givin into temptation. I don't like Anakin being compared to Christ but I see where they are coming from.

4. target-maxfirepower

target-maxfirepower Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    Well I think the old trilogy will be still talked about in 50 years but I have to think I, II, and hopefully not III will be shoved aside. I think it will be like saying you saw the Holliday Special in '79 or '80 or whenever. It's technically Star Wars but not quite 'STAR WARS'.
    But to answer the question I think IV will be remembered as the biggest movie in history in terms of special effects, monetarily, and the influence it had on popular culture worldwide. V will be mentioned with Godfather II as the greatest sequel ever.
    I LOVE Star Wars, but Lucas is no where near Shakespeare, Goethe, or for that matter even Tarantino.

5. apache

Feb 16, 2005
    maybe not, but you have to look at some of the deeper meanings in the films. I agree that the OT at the time really was amazing, but the movie is more than Special Effects. Yeah Lucas uses them at every turn, but he I really believe is a great story teller and also good at bringing out moral lessons in Star Wars.

6. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Star Wars, 50 years from now, will probably be remembered for:

-Revolutionizing special effects wizardry
    -Being the most successful film saga of all time
    -Launching the acting career of semi-god Harrison Ford
    -Surviving decades for staying true to itself while other sagas crash & burn in just a few years for trying to be "hip" and "up with the times".
    -Making a would-be Nascar driver filthy stinking rich :p

7. apache

Feb 16, 2005
  8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's technically Star Wars but not quite 'STAR WARS'.

To you. Many people around the globe love the PT just as much as the OT(on some occasions, even more). The PT not only contains exciting events, but also adds a whole lot of depth to the OT.
    50 years from now, when somebody talks about Star Wars, it will, in most cases, be the Saga that they talk about, not one of the two trilogies.

Of course, there will always be those who claim that the only real Star Wars is the original original original original original original original edition of the Original Trilogy.
    Just like some religious fanatics claim that their interpretation of a particular religion is the only true one.
    These people will, of course, be wrong. What's true to you is true to you. Period.

EDIT: I believe that the Star Wars Saga will be regarded as a true classic among movies, years and years from now.
    It won't be famous on the level of Shakespeare's plays. Rather on the level of legends like Robin Hood. It's a grand adventure for young boys(girls too, but mainly boys) that I can see being passed on through the ages in many ways, not just with the movies.
    It's because this saga has so much depth and is so well thought out that I deem it impossible for it to be forgotten. It has everything that you could ask for from a myth of this kind.

Star Wars is relative
    /LM

9. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    The Original "Star Wars" Film (A.K.A. "Episode IV: A New Hope" - though, of course, not originally) WILL be regarded as a Classic in Film History, even though no one who does not have the richess of Fortune; and of Snobby Parents, to actually possess the Orignal "Star Wars" Film on Laser-Disc (or coming soon, Bluetooth) will rember just how loosely they fit into the Greater Star Wars Saga.

But who cares? Honsetly, I can't watch the "O-OT" on my paltry VHS, anymore, without wishing I had (at least) the SE's in my VCR.

Sorry. I like every change to the DVD version of the OT and the PT (Yes, even the Luke's green and Vader's "pink" lightsabers - I know they will be fixed, as you do, and I will buy the SWUE, undoubtedly). As has been said time and again, this is not about OT vs. PT;

The richness of the PT, and the darker, more contemporary themes it brings to the table "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." (i.e. human cloning - the subject of much fanboy whining, and much scientific bickering, the rise of tyranny, the proper place of 'da mechaniks' in society - again, the subject of fanboy whining, and much sub-cultural internet/late-night talk radio exposure, not to mention the U.S. Military and Japan's Honda Corp.), has not overidden the OT (only your phantasmagoric vision of the "O-OT"), but helped to bring out the wider scope of the STAR WARS SAGA.

Sorry, again.

George Lucas IS a Genius.

So There.

Ya savvy?

10. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::It won't be famous on the level of Shakespeare's plays. Rather on the level of legends like Robin Hood. It's a grand adventure for young boys(girls too, but mainly boys) that I can see being passed on through the ages in many ways, not just with the movies

You have seen "Reign of Fire", right?

That's the legacy of Star Wars... in an Apocalyptic Dead-Earth Scenario, anyway. lol

11. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I didn't get your point. Was all that in response to my post?

Star Wars fans - they can be confusing
    /LM

12. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Winston_Sith wanted to say that Star Wars will be remembered always because of it's mythical story-like nature :) I also agree with that - it's visual, it's interesting and it makes you live in a whole different world for a few hours, a place and time that never will be, but who knows, probably was.. *wink* Also people will always indentify with the characters. (Nothing's stopping them, after all they have been doing it since the time of Ancient Greece.)

13. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I certainly agree with that.
    Reign of Fire is nothing, and I do mean nothing, like Star Wars though :)

...except for big monsters!

Lightsabers - you can't beat them
    /LM

14. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Actually, I was going to bring up "Reign of Fire" if no one else had! :D That was my favorite part, and I think it holds a bit of truth.

I definitely think that Star Wars- while perhaps not on the long standing level of Shakespeare- will nevertheless somewhat embed itself in our cultural consciousness, especially and primarily because of its mythic nature.

15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I've always felt that the Star Wars saga is the movie worlds equivalent to what Lord Of The Rings is to the world of literature (not including the LOTR movie trilogy ofcourse :) ).

What I mean is that George has created an entire world filled with memorable characters, places, things and a mythology that is known and loved throughout the entire world. Just like the LOTR books I am convinced that the Star Wars Saga will be remembered 50 or even 100 years after it's creation.

comparing it to Shakespearer is perhaps a tad to much, since shakespeare is still relevant, loved and considered the best literature ever created more than 400 years after it was written.

16. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Star Wars won't die as long as we fans keep it alive. Pass it on to your children. Tell them to pass it on to theirs. Star Wars will die. Once we reach their technology the fantasy will be gone. Then it will truly die. But that shall be years and years from now. But it might live on if we keep it alive.

"Pass on what you have learned....."

17. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    ^ I don't agree that once we reach their level of technology that Star Wars will die. We've exceeded the technology level of King Arthurs and yet how many still long for Camelot? Quite a few.

The hardware was never relevant. It is the mythic tale of good and evil that will cause Star Wars to live on. The fallen dreamer Anakin Skywalker always struggling to hold on to everything and losing it all. The young hero Luke Skywalker reaching out to the father that is lost and pulling him back. The struggle between tyranny and the forces of freedom. All of that is classic and that's what will make Star Wars live. The relatable human themes and struggles that are relevant now will still be relevant a century or two or three or more.

The dream of Camelot and brotherhood and nobility never die out. Nor will the struggle for freedom and redemption in a galaxy far, far away...

18. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I've thought about this alot, independant of this particular topic...

This is what I think. Keep in mind that I am total hopeless SW fanatic and always will be. I am the self-proclaimed King of the PT Gushers.

In 10,000 years, historians will view Star Wars like we view the ancient myths of the Greeks and Romans, Beowulf, King Arthur, etc...

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I don't know. I have a feeling that something will happen in the next 10,000 years that will start things over, so to speak. The kind of weapons our species has created are entirely too powerful, and sooner or later will fall into the wrong hands (I'm sure they already are, but I'm talking about someone foolish enough to use them). Civilization as we know it hasn't even really been around for 10,000 years (only about half that).

Beowulf? Perhaps.

King Arthur? Incredibly doubtful, as Arthur's was a legend that many believed for some time to be entirely true.

Greek and Roman Mythology? Certainly not. Those myths were RELIGIONS for those people, and they believed in their gods. I would hope that most people who love Star Wars don't believe Luke Skywalker is a real person. I also don't think the opinion that Star Wars is great is such a unanimous one that it will earn an eternal following.

As for Reign of Fire, a large reason that the characters re-enacted the climactic scene from ESB is that the film was targeted at a generation for whom the Star Wars trilogy was a significant piece of pop culture. And more specifically, the movie was aimed at Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans, a category which presumably includes a number of fans of Star Wars. The mythology of Star Wars has proven significant to a generation and a half, but I don't necessarily believe it will be as powerful to those that follow. Also, while the OT are probably my favorite movies, but I don't consider it sacrilege to hope that another movie (or set of movies) will come out in the future that will be even more moving to me.

20. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    "I LOVE Star Wars, but Lucas is no where near Shakespeare, Goethe, or for that matter even Tarantino."

I disagree. Tarantino sucks, the fights are good the story is horrible. SW beats all Tarantino films combined.

Shakespeare was an anti-semetic sexist fool. He is considered to be the greatest writer, but I despise his work.

21. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I dont think you'll see it at the same level as Shakespeare, but it will definitley be talked about. Hell, it might be upgraded in terms of effects to that time period!

22. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::I didn't get your point. Was all that in response to my post?

No.

Sometimes... a lot of times... I'm really going off on a tangent.

It's all Obi-Wan's fault!!

<chucks iBook into the dark reccesses of the Lars' Garage>

See?

23. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    ****I have a feeling that something will happen in the next 10,000 years that will start things over, so to speak.****

I don't agree, but this is not the forum.

****King Arthur? Incredibly doubtful, as Arthur's was a legend that many believed for some time to be entirely true.****

How do we know that, because modern writers writing about things they have no first hand knowledge of say so?

****Greek and Roman Mythology? Certainly not. Those myths were RELIGIONS for those people, and they believed in their gods.****

In 10,000 years it may not be that aparent that we know SW is fake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.