main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After just watching TPM 4 years removed I noticed....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -maynard-, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remhuck

remhuck Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    TPM means much more to me now after ROTS. I know people bash cause that means it's not a stand alone movie, but as GL said: These are all one BIG movie. I really do look at them that way. But, I still cringe at Anakin's "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" line. Uggh, my friends and I made fun of that for months in '99. Just straight up lame and takes me out of the film.

Word

2. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2004
    Hmmm...very good posts here. But in the PT Box set, some of Jar-Jar's more stupid lines and scenes are being cut, Puppet Yoda, although still there in the long shots the facial expressions are being overhauled in CG and some other stuff.

3. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    My take on the Qui-Gon visiting Anakin thing is like a counter-point for why the Jedi are clouded by the Dark Side.

When Anakin first tastes the hatred for the death of Shmi, I think Qui-Gon did try to reach out to him, but he was so consumed by the hatred to the Tuskens, he didn't hear it.

Cut to the Jedi Temple. Mace and Yoda are at peace meditating, so they were receptive, and heard Qui-Gon's plea.

As Anakin falls further and further into darkness, he's blinded from seeing the light.

Of course, this doesn't explain how Anakin becomes a glowie at the end of RoTJ, but I kind of have a theory on that. When Anakin looks onto Luke with his own eyes, maybe just before he passes, Qui-Gon passes on the knowledge.

As far as TPM, I've always liked it, cept the pod race was just a tad too long.

4. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    I know Liam Neeson`s voice was used for the Anakin part (probably lifted from the part on TPM when he tells Anakin to drop), but I don`t believe the voice that says "Noooo!" is him; the tone and voice inflection just don`t sound like Liam at all.

The voice IS supposed to be qui-gon, but your right. The "Anakin, Anakin" part, is a clip from TPM when he says "ANAKIN, DROP" when Darth Maul shows up on his bike, they just rolled back the clip and played it. The "NOOOOOOO" is from one of the sound guys and it was digitally edited since they didn't have a clip of him saying NOOOO. The reason why Liam neeson didn't record any dialouge is, i believe, because he was injured in a motorcycle accident and was unable to come to the studio to do a recording session, his schedule also kept him from recording any lines for ROTS. I'm hoping that in the Next release, at some point, he'll have the time to come in and do his recording.

5. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    interesting. i didnt know that about Liam. that explains alot. Laim couldnt come to do some voice work or appearance work in AOTC or ROTJ. so there was really no opportunity for some spontaneous thought by Lucas to be like, "Wait! Lets have Qui-Gon visit Anakin to try and steer him from his path to the dark side!" there just wasnt the option according to that

6. jediknight22

jediknight22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    TPM is all about Qui-Gonn if you think about it. He's the jedi master, the one who discovers the chosen one, and the one who passes it on the obi-wan. Liam Neeson did a great job, he's one of my favorite jedi.

I especially like the part where Qui-Gonn was melting the door w/ the lightsaber. Just shows how powerful yet classy the weapon is.

7. jeromew

jeromew Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    This thread made me rewatch PM. It is a little better now after RotS but I also have some new qualms with it.

One thing I liked about III was how much it tied in with the other movies and how much context was given. For example, we see a lot of the other jedis die because of Order 66. I feel like we learn more about the star wars universe in II and III. In PM, we get too much focus on the situation in Naboo.

8. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    OK - right on. That makes sense now. I knew the "NOOO!" voice was someone else, but hearing Qui-gon from TMP and the other guy saying "No," I always assumed that Yoda was having a Force vision of the past and the future (the "NO" guy being a Jedi Anakin was to kill in the future.)

9. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    Sorry my reply's so late, Wolfguard...

If you strip everything away, you have a silly alien who's a bit clumsy but has nothing but the purest intentions. Actually, that's exactly what he was in the movie, as well. JJ is such a strong character that he works the same in and out of context. You don't need to strip anything away. JJ was what we was ALWAYS meant to be: that part of ourselves that is unsure about ourselves, that isn't particularly talented, but that part of us that wants nothing but to be accepted, and nothing but the best for others. I want to spend time with JJ, because he is pure. There are no ulterior motives with him. He is an honest individual with a pure heart. Frankly, I wish more people were like that.

And an exiled warrior doesn't work as well because it isn't as innocent. It doesn't represent our human vulnerabilities in the same manner. The plot would remain unchanged, but the story, which encompasses character, tone, voice, setting, etc. would be drastically changed and, ultimately, less effective.

As for the deaths, this is true. Perhaps "upset" was too vague a word. Like I said, George created tension, for sure, but he manipulated it in a manner where it became more about rooting for the good guys, as opposed to fearing for them. George never wanted a feeling of impending doom (not outside of the subtext, that is), he wanted it to remain a hopeful picture. We hit the low with QGJ's death, but then we are immediately concerned with Obi, and how Anakin will be trained. George was careful to always keep a sense of hope. Think about it, with QGJ's death, we learn that Obi WILL train Anakin, and QGJ once again reassures us that Ani WILL bring balance. In this movie's own limited context, even with QGJ's death, things look hopeful. Juxtaposed with the rest of the series, it is a very different story.

10. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004

AOTC had too much CGI, whereas TPM had, perhaps the right amount, only enough to do the scenes that needed that magic...NOT EVERY SCENE like AOTC. Let me me see the so-called Geonosis arena was a large scale model, not CGI. There were a lot of models.

One can feel Tunisia, Geonosis and Kamino just look absolutely fake. Tunisia? The Lars Homestead looked fake? It was actually there!

11. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    -Maynard-, I completely agree with you. TOPM is so much much better after RotS. I even realized that TPM had the better acting even

12. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    The more time passes the better the PT will be received. So many things have happened in the world since '99. Much of what GL wanted us to experience was tainted by our own expectations. Very soon people will be able to see Star Wars in chapter fashion. There wont be a 3 year wait for what happens next. I didn't realize that so many people disliked Padme's "Queen voice". I actually dug it a lot. I felt it gave her a certain level of authority when she spoke. "I did not come here to discuss this in a CO MIT TEE" I love that line.

13. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    TPM is actually a wonderful movie. I'm sad that the media and many upset people still continue to bash it. I agree with the first post. I saw TPM after a break of a year and was amazed by it. I felt all sorts of emotions, excited, sad, happy, scared. A really great movie experience that seems to be a constant pinata. Even Jar-Jar wasn't that bad, he amde me chuckle a few times.

14. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Unfortunately for me, I used to love TPM. Used to be up there with ESB, and ANH for my favorite SW movie. But, unlike others, as time went on, I grew less and less fond of it. It's just too kiddy I think, and uses simple dialogue to display the emotions of the characters. I wouldn't call it a good movie anymore, only an average one. But, I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread, as that's just my opinion on Menace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.