main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Legacy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by nom_anor_no_more, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nom_anor_no_more

nom_anor_no_more Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2007
    Does anyone have any inkling as to what will be covered post Legacy of the Force? And I do mean novel-wise. Nevermind what's in the comics...

Where will Del Rey go? Will they concentrate in the post ANH and pre Thrawn?

I'm so curious.

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Del Rey's current contract ends with LOTF, I believe, so they might not do anything after it; it could be another publisher.

3. nom_anor_no_more

nom_anor_no_more Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2007
    Oh... what about all of the novels upcoming, then?

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You mean the other ones on this contract? Check out this thread, if you haven't.

Besides LOTF, there's Death Star, Shadows of Mindor, the Darth Plagueis novel, and the Coruscant Nights non-trilogy. Plus the Republic Commando books, though they're on a separate contract. So in all, one in the pre-prequel era, one in the immediate post-ROTJ era, four during Dark Times, and two in the Clone Wars.

Looks like I was wrong about the contract ending with LOTF; the Plagueis novel and Coruscant Nights are all scheduled after it ends (Republic Commando 4, too, but again, that's a different contract).

5. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    There's also the Force Unleashed novel

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    After LotF (which, I hope, will just be about *establishing* Jacen Solo as a Sith Lord to be feared, rather than his entire rise and fall), I'd like to see the next in-universe decade or two devoted to the forces of good trying to bring him down. Whilst I think it should probably be Jaina who knocks Jacen down a peg or two in LotF, I feel that it's Ben Skywalker's destiny to be the major Jedi who opposes him.

After Legacy, which'll be years and years from now, I'd like the comics to focus on a jump backward 25,000 years to the formation of the Jedi and the Republic. I figure they'd draw stuff from Lucas' original drafts too, so there is bound to be a Skywalker ("The Skywalker"?) involved.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing Jacen as a Sith Lord, but with how LotF is going, I doubt it. LotFT is a series, just like the NJO was. The NJO began with the Yuuzhan Vong invading, and it ended with the Yuuzhan Vong defeat. There was the Dark Nest trilogy, but that was mainly a side-story tying up loose ends compared to the entire NJO series.

Anyway, Luke and company can only let Jacen run loose so long. Another two, three, maybe four books, and then Luke will hopefully start gunning for Jacen seriously. If it was just another villain, they could end the series with the villain's plots falling apart and the villain appearing to die, but instead just disappeared. But this is Jacen Solo, and despite all his fancy Force training in various traditions, Leia and probably Jaina could still feel if he died, so unless they feel that, they'll know he'll still be out there, and they probably couldn't leave a loose thread like that out too long, especially as he's a relative (an estranged one, but still). Or there's always the old theory of Jacen being Darth Krayt, but that's unlikely (for now anyway). And this isn't like the prequels where it ended on a sad ending, as we already know how Episode 4-6 goes when Episode III ended.

And I think the current KotOR comic is already far enough back. Some of the old Tales of the Jedi comics went even further back, but not that far. Anyway, we still haven't heard of a Skywalker before Anakin and his mother, and we probably don't need one anyway. Its not like they'd have Force potential (probably), and they can always just invent another powerful Jedi.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think you're probably right. It'll all be tied up in a nice little bow, with Jacen either dead or redeemed.

Pity.

:confused:
    So?

If Jacen becomes the Sith Lord I want him to be, then he'll be able to take his family "gunning for him seriously" in his stride.

Another thousand years back in the case of the Golden Age of the Sith stuff.

Heh.

Normally I'd be the first to say, "Oh, god, not another Skywalker", but I'm not talking about a Skywalker. I'm talking about "The Skywalker", the legendary figure who founded the Jedi according to ancient (and presumably non-canon) Lucas scripts.

9. Jedi_Earnhardt

Jedi_Earnhardt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2006
    I seen several questions like on the VIP thread at the Official site and Sue Rostini always said more than likely their will be another series after LotF.

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    well of course there will be.

And the Big 3 will just get older, but not seem like it.

Galaxy will get more messed up, but not seem like it.

Sith will get stronger, but not seem like it.

And then eventually, the novel publishers will reach the LEGACY timeframe and have to decide if they want to incorporate it or work around it. Since Luke will still be alive in the novels, it will probably be a work around. [face_frustrated]

For the love, DARK HORSE, GET THE NOVEL RIGHTS!

11. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Unless i'm grossly mistaken, Dark Horse -- a comic company owned by DC -- doesn't publish novels. Why would you want an inexperienced novel-publisher getting the rights? Sure, Dark Horse does great stories -- because they have great comic writers on-staff. But novels from Dark Horse? No thank you. Let them stick to what they know and do best.

12. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    First off...they do publish novels...mostly adaptations of comic licenses they carry.

2nd...what better way to launch into the bigger industry then with a HUGE license that practically promises 3 or 4 bestsellers a year.

3rd...It's star wars that is the attraction to writers...not who publishes.

4th...it would be the editorial strength at Dark Horse that would improve the novels.

Dark Horse, through the myriad of titles, has always maintained a certain level with Star Wars...the product wasn't always the greatest, but it never sullied other titles or the saga at large. Put another way...Dark Horse knows how to contain damage. Bantam was clueless and Del Rey intentionally markets it as "exciting and new twists".

In reality, I hope LFL realizes the value of the people at Dark Horse...if DH ever decided they WANTED to do the novels, LFL should hand it over double fast.

13. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    My mistake, then. Though i suspected that may have been the case.

True.

Yes, but then it doesn't matter if it was Dark Horse or Del Rey or Bantam again; the liklihood is that many of the same stable of authors (Zahn, Traviss, etc) will again pen books under the next publishers contract.

But we can't say that for sure. Randy is a solid editor, but again, he works in the comic medium. Being the supervising editor on a novel series is a far different task. Dark Horse certainly might be up to the task, but it's not correct to compare successful handling of SW comics as necessarily indicative that a novel contract would be handled with the same success -- or better than Del Rey has handled it (which in and of itself is all opinion based on differing individuals' feelings about how the NJO and LotF arcs have been handled)

But again, this is all based on opinions of different readers. Some might think Del Rey (and Bantam before them) have done great jobs with their handling of the license. And even in that regard, it must be remembered that Del Rey (or Bantam before them) are not the ones specifically penning the stories (that's the authors) or co-ordinating things like continuity-issues or final story approval (that's LFL). Far too much blame, IMO, is placed on the publishers when people don't like certain directions that the novels may take (as true now for Del Rey as it once was for Bantam).

Meh. I'm not saying there's any reason to think they couldn't do a solid job, but likewise there's no reason to truly believe that they'd handle a novel contract any better than Del Rey or Bantam has.

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm sorta leaning towars Shpydar on this one. Comic books and novels are two completely different beasts. I might like Luceno more if his endless lists were replaced by nice pictures, and maybe Ostrander isn't that great at writing prose. Because someone can write good scripts doesn't mean they'll be good at the novel level. I enjoy Dark Horse's output more, but regardless of the publisher the novels should still be released by a publishing house that is mainly novels.

15. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    i have never heard of this "original sywalker" but it sounds like a really good idea. It would change a lot but i think it would be very interesting.

I suspect whoever wins the rights after delrey, there will be another series with the big three as sue said.

Otherwise someone like bantam could possibly choose to ignor all of the njo and start again after votf.

Or maybe a new company will decide to do something that overwrites everything, even if that is extremely unlikely.

16. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Whoever it is, I'll be happy just as long as they avoid the long series-style publishing (eg NJO, LotF). Go back to the Bantam-era style of trilogies, duologies and one-shots. There's nothing inherently wrong with a long-style series, but it does in a sense limit what story options are available.

17. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    That's not how it works. LFL controls continuity, not the publishing companies.

18. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Just a note -- DC is owned by Time/Warner. DH is an independent and not owned by a parent company.

-- John

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    But the PT was a series too, as was the OT. The PT was about the Rise of Darth Vader and the Empire (Or fall of Anakin Skywalker) with the OT being about the Fall of Darth Vader and the Empire (Or the rise of Anakin Skywalker). Similiarily, LoTF could be about the Rise of Darth Solo (Or the fall of Jacen Solo)

Carnage

20. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Sue has said in the VIP Thread that negotiations for a contract after the current one ends are underway but it'll be a while before anything is finalized.

21. StaryKnight

StaryKnight Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2006
    If this is the Rise of Darth Who and the fall of Jacen Solo then expect this to be just like the PT with most of the central good guys dead or in exile.

22. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    Then a post-LOTF series will be about the fall of Darth Jacen by being taken on by an adult Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo.

LOTF will be the PT about the fall of Jacen Solo and the rise of Darth Solo.

A post-LOTF series will be the OT about the fall of Darth Solo.

23. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Dear lord, please let it be so.[face_praying]

24. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    We can only hope :p

But not necesarily. Who says that when Jacen becomes Darth Who he has to completely kark over the Galaxy right then and there. After all, Palpatine's machinations took decades to really overthrow the Republic. If Darth Who survives LOTF, that doesn't automatically force all the good guys to do their best Kai Huddorra impressions. Quite the contrary, unless there's been some drastic alterations in characterization, I envision most of them going down fighting, even if they're all alone against a Darth Who-controlled GA, they will continue to have stories about them as living, participating members of the good fight until the bitter end.

25. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    After Legacy? Personaly, I'd rather see some duologies, trilogies, stand alones and maybe even some small series about certain time frames, like maybe a stand alone novel about any of the wars of the Old Sith Wars.

I mean, let's have a book about Kreia or Exar Kun or Ulic Qel-Droma or maybe a book that takes place just after or even a few hundred years after the Jedi Civil War.

Maybe have a novel that explains more about the Sith during their Golden Age or have a book that explains the events of the Hundred Years Darkness or even a book about Xendor and the first Dark Jedi.

I wanna see more of the Jedi before the Prequel era, and sure, maybe even explain who the first Jedi were and the Force Wars of Tython.

I wanna see books about the Pre-Republic era, about how the Rakata truly rose to power and how they fell so hard (possibly due to a light side Force faction predating the Jedi), a book about Xim's rise and fall.

I wanna see psuedo biographies about people like Adas, Andeddu, Freedon Nadd, Marka Ragnos; I wanna know more about Yoda, Yoda before te Prequel era.

I wanna see some more stand alone novels about new people, Sith, Jedi whatever. Yes Luke has done much, but give us something else. Maybe even some books about lesser used characters who fascinate people.

And of course, my personal favorite, maybe a stand alone novel that truly sets Revan's canonocity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.