main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After New Jedi Order, do you think they should make a all new alternitve Star Wars galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Dont ask why(or yyyyyyyyyyy), ask why NOT :)

2. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

But if you mean go back in time I don't think it's possible, unless they do TOTJ era in to novels.

3. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    Ya gotta admit,they're gonna run out of ideas sooner or later!

Though I enjoy the Tales Of The Jedi stories,Nomi Sunrider is one of my favourite EU characters!Prehapes they could do some proper novels for that time period!

4. Ysanne_Isard

Ysanne_Isard Jedi Master star 5

Oct 27, 2002
    i think that instead of making a new universe, they should go back and fill in the gaps in the one they already have. I'd love to hear more about the Rogues and Wraiths, and about all the characters who are mentioned but never expanded. that way we can still get more stories, but dont have to create a new universe

5. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Love how if you merge the opinions of those that dont like the idea, you get that a new universe is confusing, we should instead go backwards at random positions :)

6. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    Hee.

Seriously, I don't see any problem with another EU. As long as it was prominently displayed on the covers, so people didn't get completely confused between the two. I think that they should keep going with the NJO, but I think there are lots of possibilities to work with that can't be explored in the current EU. Besides, who *wouldn't* want to see an excuse more Star Wars books(besides purists)?

Besides, a new EU, guided more actively by George Lucas, might even get purists into the whole scene.

7. JediMaster41589

JediMaster41589 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    No. Than it would be too confusing to differintiate from EU and AU. also, i don't think many people would buy the new story.

8. david_of_duncaster

david_of_duncaster Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2002
    I wouldn't like to see the current EU changed in any way. I think most of the stories work well together and should continue after NJO.

I would like to see another galaxy with stories. They could do a galaxy where the Yuuzha Vong attacked and the few survivors are trying to pull their universe back together.

Maybe a galaxy where they just figured out how to use the force. There could be stories about people tring to teach themselves. Then a war between ones who use it for good and those who use it for evil.

9. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Why don't you think many people would buy the new stories? It's not like they have any reason to not buy Star Wars stories. If anything, they could probably bring in peole who aren't die hard fans, who are more interested in Han, Luke and Leia than they are in Mara Jade, Jag and the twins.

Just because the EU fans here wouldn't buy a new alternative universe storyline doesn't mean that the mass of people who buy EU books wouldn't. I for one would buy *anything* with Star Wars and the major characters in it, with the possible exception of the Glove of Darth Vader series. I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there who would rather read books where the original heroes aren't old and being replaced by other, non-movie characters. Not that I have anything against non-movie characters: I like most of the characters in NJO and hope it continues for a while, but a lot of people would really like to see the heroes in their prime again.

Merely filling up the space left in the immediate post-RoTJ EU doesn't seem to be very effective to me(even if it is producing good stuff like Tatooine Ghost); it only takes so long to fill up the years that haven't already been scripted by previous EU books. Why not just start from scratch? Tell a whole new story, where we rely less on the Imperial bogeyman, and focus more on the challenges of creating a new government in a shattered galaxy. No more villian of the month(or series), but rather no villian at all. Rather, the heroes would be facing off against the galaxy in general, occasionally running up against evil people, but no 'masterminds' or anything. Besides, I think the EU has pretty much established that "masterminds" are almost always dissapointing, because the heroes *have* to defeat them.

And how would this be confusing? I don't think people could quite miss something on the cover of a book saying, essentially, "This is Star Wars Infinities, which has nothing at all to do with the current EU" or whatever they choose to call it. Of course, Lucasarts would phrase that differently, but it would take a pretty dull person to confuse two completely different series of books.

10. Sticks220

Sticks220 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Personaly i don't like this idea. First off even if the two series were complete different and seperate they would get confusing after 20 or so AU books people would be like was that AU or EU. Secondly I would like to see what happens to the second generation star wars characters(Jacen, Jaina, Ben)and I really don't need large parts of the books to be devoted to the orginal characters. I also like the 1000 years after NJO idea too.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Oy, think of the canon debates that break out if there were completely two different versions of continuity that start where the movies left off, [face_plain]...

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Has anyone managed to get Elf Bowling 3 yet?

13. DarthKyp99

DarthKyp99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    a way they could do it in a non confusing way is first off start with an alternative end to RotJ such as Luke joining with Vader to rule the galaxy together. Call it the New Sith Order. i think that would be interesting. Maybe have more sith knights later on and thrown in the Vong and see what the Empire would do them

14. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I think I'm mistaking some people. What I mean is forgetting about this whole storyline of Star Wars and making a whole new one. There all ready may be a alternitive time, but I'm talking about one big alternitive galaxy.

I already think of the EU as one big alternative galaxy. I would have no problems with another one. Maybe they would not ruin everything in the other one. The entire galaxy is totally destroyed in the NJO. it sucks.

15. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Didn't The Gatherer start a topic like this a few weeks ago?

16. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    No. Than it would be too confusing to differintiate from EU and AU. also, i don't think many people would buy the new story.

1- Does Infinities ANH confuse you with ANH? No? Exactly :)

2- The Ultimate line sells more than the normal line for Marvel. Same arguments stood.

Oy, think of the canon debates that break out if there were completely two different versions of continuity that start where the movies left off, [face_plain]

They'd only be by stupid people who couldnt get their head round the fact that there's a seperate universe.

Does this happen with Marvel comics? Nope.

17. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Look, who want universe a 100 or 1000 years later without Luke, Han, or Leia? Also who wants to see Luke and the grow old? I sure as heck don't. I would love to read about if Luke was able to save Darth Vader, or what would happen anyone else that was killed off lived in the another Star Wars galaxy.

18. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Thanks, Fett; you said what I wanted to except without insulting anyone. I mean, really, how hard could it be to tell one universe from another? Especially if it were clearly labeled? The only way people could possibly confuse two series that work in different universes would be if the cover fell of.

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, being a person who likes to take little pieces of Star Wars such as the jedi and write totally different stories just using that idea, I believe it could be done. You just have to be the type of person who could trust that something might be good even though it didn't have the big three in it. (All of you Tales of the Jedi readers, think about how you sort of got attached to Ulic and co. That's what I'm talking about)

There are plenty of other possibilities, plenty of other conflicts that could happen. I have to ask why something from a different galaxy or universe would be able to mess with continuity. If it's from a different universe then wouldn't that mean that anything could go? See, it really does have infinite possibilities, and it would be much better than reading about all the little uber babies that Jaina and Jag make after the Vong war. Yeeeuck!! :p

Jae Angel

20. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Let me use a picture to show how confusing it is.

[image=http://www.needcoffee.com/html/comics/images/uxmen12.jpg]

See the word "Ultimate". That means it is in the "Ultimate" universe. If that wasn't there, it isnt in the "Ultimate" universe.

So, confusing? :)

21. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Fett, you're my hero.

22. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    So what if LFL decides, to say the old EU is no longer the continuity, and they decide to do a "do over" with the new continuity being the "canon"? Hmm?, or they say they say "Both versions of the universe are real continuity,so choose the series you like best to be your version of continuity"(A kind middle of the road comment so as to try to not make any fans upset)?

23. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    In the first case: big deal; so the new series is canon. The old(current) series is AU. It's the exact same thing.

-----

In the second case: also, big deal. The only people who would argue about which is the real continuity would be the die hard fans, who don't really matter to the book buying public anyway.

Saying that they're both equally continuitious(probably not a real word) with the movies wouldn't matter because, well, they're both continuity: it means they have equal weight, and neither series is superior to the other. People would *find* places to argue, but these would be petty people who don't understand the meaning of the word 'equal.'

24. OwenSkywalker3

OwenSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    Hey guys...

Let me star by saying that I love the EU stuff; I'm old enough to remember the long cold wait between the end of the Marvel series and Heir To The Empire, so I'm just tickled to death to have books come out every few months. And comics. And DVDs, Beneath The Dome, Soundtracks, etc. That being said...

Aw, hell, let's kick off a brand new universe. Label it different, just like Marvel did with the Ultimate line (just finished reading The Ultimates TPB, btw, and whoa, did it rrrrrrrrrock!). Let whatever publisher wants it next retcon the hell out of the whole EU. Keep some stuff, change some stuff. Another layer of fun, another layer of stories.

Look at it like this. The original Spiderman comic and the Ultimate Spiderman have conflicting ideas, but both tell good stories. And when push came to shove and they filmed the movie, they used concepts from both, AND had the gall to add stuff of its own. And guess what? It was a good movie. It was no AOTC ;) , but hey, nobody's perfect...

I might like to see this, actually. Start it off after the battle of Endor, and have the entire 6 film saga at your disposal. Then go from there and explore. Who would Luke train after Leia? Who would assume control of the Empire upon the report of Palpatine's death? How long would it take the Rebellion to defeat the Imperial Navy? What would the new government be like? How would Luke, Leia, et al. recreate the Jedi without the weaknesses of the past returning? I think it would be cool, just my 2 cents...

Late,

OS3

PS... Check out the Virtual Sequels at TFN; we LOVE the EU!

25. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    So what if LFL decides, to say the old EU is no longer the continuity, and they decide to do a "do over" with the new continuity being the "canon"? Hmm?, or they say they say "Both versions of the universe are real continuity,so choose the series you like best to be your version of continuity"(A kind middle of the road comment so as to try to not make any fans upset)?

So basically, your problem isnt with the series, it's with one persons opinion higher up?

(just finished reading The Ultimates TPB, btw, and whoa, did it rrrrrrrrrock!)

Preach on! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.