main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After New Jedi Order, do you think they should make a all new alternitve Star Wars galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Make the SW books even less Star Wars than the NJO? No thanks. I think I'll pass.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Eh? What do you mean?

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I think the only thing the success of the Ultimates shows is just how badly Marvel Comics has dropped the ball with their core properties.

The Ultimates series is good. But, the simple fact is, the Ultimates line is everything they should be doing instead with the core property, and it is unneeded.

The reason that the Ultimates is doing so well is not the idea, but because Marvel Comics ****** up the core universe so bad with Spider-man clone stories and X-Men continuity that's more complex than the fabric of the universe that people quit supporting it.

I see the Ultimates as nothing more than curing a symptom of a larger problem, not solving the problem itself.

Which is what I would also see an EU reboot as doing, as well.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Look, who want universe a 100 or 1000 years later without Luke, Han, or Leia?<<

Well, we've had Star Wars stories set 5,000 and 4,000 years before Luke, Han or Leia were even born- the Tales of the Jedi series; and that series has what is generally considered to be one of the best Star Wars stories ever (Redemption).

Also, don't forget we have movies now set 30 to 20 years before Luke or Leia was born and Han was but a wee boy [face_batting]

In other words, they're not an integral component required to tell a good story in the SW universe.

I don't mind having limited Infinities series (I think it'd be great if we got a sequel to Infinities: ESB that continues that storyline), but I wouldn't want an entire ongoing Infinities galaxy created to compliment the existing EU- it would devalue the EU and imply there are serious problems in it like in the Marvel universe. Truth be told, yeah, we have a couple continuity problems here or there, but it's nothing major, and most of them are problems that can be easily solved. It's nowhere near as convulted as Marvel to the degree where an entire reboot would be required.

Also, a reboot harms the EU- basicly saying that, regardless of which you read (EU or AU) neither is now the definitive continuation of the Star Wars universe. That's what I want. If I wanted whimsical what-ifs or coulda-beens, I'd read fan fic or regulate it to message board speculation.

5. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Excellent post, 2ndQuest.

I, too, would not mind a continuous AU series, so long as it doesn't usurp the EU's position as the official continuation of Star Wars, or go Star Trek and be as equally real as the EU, only set in an alternate dimension (I HATE those things). I also would not want the EU dumped and all attention focused on the AU. If they were to do it as they do Infinities, except make all its stories continuous, I might be interested in it.

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Star Wars 6554 I think Lucas does not care if the mane chacters from the movie die at all. He lets the people make there own storys into Novels. I would also love to see more star wars books after The New Jedi order. NEVER END STAR WARS!

7. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    black_saber: He does give the final yay, or nay on any EU decision.

Well, this whole concept is nothing new in Anime, off the top of my head I can think of a few that have had similer things happen:

1. Gundam (UC, Ac arecs ect...[May have been merged into one story with Turn-A Gudnam, I'm not sure though])

2. Zoids (May be radically diffrent times on the same world, I doubt it)

3. BubbleGum Crisis/BubbleGum Crisis 2040 (2040 is a remake of the original simply)

4. Tenchi Muyo (Theres the first OVA, a TV retelling in Tenchi Universe, another TV series called Tenchi in Tokyo, all in diffrent universes)

5. X (It's had 4 tellings, Manga, a movie, an OVA, and a new TV seres)

6. Dirty Pair/Dirty Pair Flash (Flash is basically a remake thats well, from what I know, dirtier)

7. Digimon (Not told in the US, but they are diffrent series with diffrent characters and sotry lines, following some of the same concepts)

8. Transformers (THe orginial and Armada are diffrent universes, there are more, I forget hte names)

9. Robotech/Macross, Soutehrn Cross, Mospeda (Three sereis were merged to make Robotech for America, most Robotech fans know this, and have no arguments about it)

10. Many of these and Anime in general are bassed of of Manga, (comic books) and thats really as close to Canon Wars as it gets.

My point is that having an alternite telling of the exact same story is nothing new, and can be done well. No real continuity arguments should occure, there diffrent versions of the same thing. Also, as to Canon or not, Star Wars would end up with two canons, the "Ultimate" one, and the "Original" one. Nop oen is more, or less official, they simply are.

8. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    This was a good topic. What happened to it? :(

9. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Edit: Don't ask.

10. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I don't like the whole concept of continuity. I think it is a straightjacket that stifles the creativity of the authors. For example, Tom Veitch had to make some changes to his Dark Empire trilogy so it would fit in with Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. One of the changes was having to make Leia pregnant, even though the story called for her to do some physically adventurous things that pregnant women don't do. It also required Han and Leia to already have children, resulting in some forced visits with them. If Veitch had had his way, Dark Empire would have been set only a few months after ROTJ, instead of six years later. Which highlights another problem: Why would the Emperor wait six years and allow Thrawn to run around like that? It would make more sense for the Emperor to reassert his authority shortly after Endor. And on and on it goes...

The pesky devil here is named Continuity. The authors have to file down many of their best ideas simply because Mr. Such-and-So wrote a comic six years ago that said Such-and-Such. Sorry! Your idea would contradict the established continuity. Here's a canned replacement idea we came up with in committee...

Blech.

11. SkywalkerChild

SkywalkerChild Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2002
    I think the only way a new set of SW books would work was if George Lucas became very involved with the process. While he may be "approving" of some things in the EU, I don't think he's been given a full picture of exactly what is going on.

If, however, he sat down with a publisher and said "look, after ROTJ, these things happen and in this order", and had more control over the content of the books, it would be good.

Otherwise, you just get the EU: Redux...and nobody wants that.

Skywalker Child

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Otherwise, you just get the EU: Redux...and nobody wants that.

You mean like noone wanted Avengers Redux, X-Men redux and Spiderman redux? Nobody told the people who are putting these top of the bestseller charts.

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "One of the changes was having to make Leia pregnant, even though the story called for her to do some physically adventurous things that pregnant women don't do."

Actually pregnant women are capable of doing all sorts of things and did all sorts of strenuous things in the old times up to a certain point of the birth. It's just that in the modern society that men are overly protective of women, and try to make them rest all throughout the pregnancy because they believe the baby and the mother need to be protected.

Also where did you read that the change was to make Leia pregnant? As far as I've read he always intended to have leia pregant with a child. But he had to add in scenes that acknowledged her twins she had already. He also had to move the story past TTT because if he had his story before TTT, ttt would have contradicted it.

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Valiento asked: "Where did you read that the change was to make Leia pregnant? As far as I've read he always intended to have Leia pregant with a child."

In an e-mail interview conducted by Mark Monroe, Tom Veitch said: "The Dark Empire series was originally supposed to take place directly after Return of the Jedi. Later, with the decision to create Star Wars novels, it was decided to move it to a period about six years after the Battle of Endor and the death of Darth Vader." [emphasis mine]

Based on that timetable ("DIRECTLY after Return of the Jedi"), I assumed there wasn't really time to have a pregnant Leia. I might, of course, have made an incorrect assumption. :)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Leia would have been pregnant regardless- they just added in the twins and had this be a third child.

And, if you think about it- Dark Empire and Zahn's stubborness was a good example of how continuity can be beneficial. Anakin's sacrifice would have been lessened significantly had the Emperor came back "the next day". With Veitch forced to move it to 6 years after Jedi, it gives time for the Empire to crack and crumble.

16. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    IMHO (Sorry about overuse of this (Phrase), in all me' posts but ONLY just discovered what it means!) any new Star Wars material is good and welcome....

17. Vhon_Gaerikks

Vhon_Gaerikks Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2000
    I think there are two options:

1. An entirely new post-ROTJ EU (Ultimate). Perhaps something which is set about 30 years afterwards which has a non-EU history i.e. Han and Leia have had a happy marriage without the burden of constant conflict. They are now background characters as a new generation picks up the torch...

2. An entirely new saga set a number of years after the NJO with an entirely new set of characters and NO cameos from Jagged Fel or whoever. i.e. Something which only acknowledges prior events in a very general sense, so it can be taken as something new by canonists and EU fans alike

In both cases there would have to be a well planned story arc crafted in advance with some LFL limitations on authors running wild with pet characters. No supervillain of the week and no rent-a-superweapon themed novels.
    I think there should only be a new trilogy of books which provide the main thrust of the story and then other material, comics, character driven novels etc.. could be written around that.

Either way, it has to be something worthy of a Lucas envisioned future to the GFFA and he would need to be involved for any fans to take it seriously.

18. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

Dec 6, 2002
    Has anybody read Star Wars: Infinites? It's in an alternitive universe, and it's awesome!

19. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

Dec 6, 2002
    Has anybody read Star Wars: Infinites? It's in an alternitive universe, and it's awesome!

20. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    IMHO, I'd like to see one of three things happen:

1. They go back & fill in the gaps b/t ROTJ & VOTF (There's a LOT that could happen in that timespan). (Heck, there's a lot that could happen b/t ANH & ESB...)

2. They start a new universe that branches off from TTT that goes a completely different direction (preferably Vong-less).

or...

3. They declare the Vong storyline apocryphal & go a different direction starting at VOTF.

My personal preferences are 1. & 3.

(Tugging the waistband of my asbestos underwear). OK, flame away...

21. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    errr hasn't the gap between RotJ an VotF been filled with EU lit already? No harm in more I guess

22. Qwert_Squadron

Qwert_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2002
    why do some people want the vong storyline to be non canon?

I hope that they do make a large number of novels between ANH and VOTF...i would be so happy.... :_|

23. mmirales

mmirales Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm sorry Qwert_Squadron but the...YV invading the GFFA is interesting however...it seems non-starwarish... :p ... It seems more like Star Trek and besides the GFFA has enough problems w/o the YV.

24. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd love to see an Alternitive Star Wars galaxy. One with Jedi more like they are in the movies rather than Jedi that pass out using the Force and no Vergere!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>(Heck, there's a lot that could happen b/t ANH & ESB...)<<

Alot did happen- so much in fact, that arranging it in chronological order seems to have become just barely possible ;;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.