main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After New Jedi Order, do you think they should make a all new alternitve Star Wars galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Large scale sanctioned AU? God, no!

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Why "God, no!"?

3. david_of_duncaster

david_of_duncaster Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2002
    Instead of a different story. What about stories from other people, like the X-wing series.

Stories from the empire (even though most have been about them.)

The Chiss and their adventures in the unknown regions. With hundreds of worlds and different kinds of aliens. They could write it like a mirror to the X-wing series. Give them names and show them in dog fights. They could write an entire series just on them trying to start a new government in that region.

The Yuuzhan Vong, have stories of them in a different galaxy against a set of heros who lose the battle but put up a good fight.

The Force, stories about people in another part of the galaxy or in another galaxy all together teaching themselves the force and fighting against each other.

I feel that rather then rewrite the whole thing there should be more stories about the people we already read.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ReaperFett: It would be just way too confusing. AU should be left to Fan Fiction and the Infinities comics.

5. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Confusing?

Let's play a game

These are all Marvel comics. Guess which are in the ULTIMATE universe:

Ultimates
    Agent X
    Ultimate X-Men
    Ultimate War
    Thor
    Deadpool
    Ultimate Deadevil & Elektra

Have fun :)

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Touche, ReaperFett. I cannot hope to match wits with the likes of you, but here goes:

I was referring to individual events, not the ability to tell the AU books from the EU ones. Besides, why make Star Wars any harder for newbies to follow than it already is?

7. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    But theyre not with marvel, which does this :)

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Yes, but look at some of the newbies who come onto the Lit forum asking which books they should read and then getting a giant flood of info. Much more than they bargained for.

I seem to recall a newbie who came on asking for recommendations and turned out to be unaware that Heir to the Empire and The Last Command were in a trilogy with Dark Force Rising.

Imagine how much more confused these people would be if people started throwing alternate story lines at them.

9. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    A alternative time wouldn't be that confusing if they simply put a big AU sign on all covers, and if the Del Rey really focused on this new saga and announced about it until everone wanted to puke. Then everyone would know which one is AU and which one is EU. The reason Marvel is so confusing, because there are so many Alternate Sagas now that know one knows which one is the correct timeline

10. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    I wouldn't worry about the main characters getting to old. There is plenty to write about. There are "Rozencrantz and Gildenstern" type scenarios they could do that parallel action in the existing films and EU (e.g. Lando during ANH, etc.) And the new stories that will grow up between Ep II and Ep IV will keep the Star Wars machine alive well into the next century without mucking around in a AU.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

The reason that the Ultimates is doing so well is not the idea, but because Marvel Comics ****** up the core universe so bad with Spider-man clone stories and X-Men continuity that's more complex than the fabric of the universe that people quit supporting it.

Oh, man, don't get me started on this! The Spider-Man clone story damn near killed the comic. IIRC, there was a massive sales drop literally from one month to the next on that one. And the X-Men? Or should I say, the Angst Men. Since when did they become a villain team with the addition of scum like Marrow (can you say 'cop killer', I knew you could), and the bug guy, what's his name, Parasite? Yeah, that's heroic! Dark Beast? The last good X-comic Marvel did was GenX and then only for the first 25 or so issues, then they went to hell when they're plots just got silly and they began ruining characters.

X-Men hasn't been a good comic since the early 200s and the 11 or so issues Jim Lee did before quiting to become a businessman instead of an artist.

I quit reading X-Men when it stopped being fun. Sounds like things haven't changed.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Uncanny 300 through the Age of Apocalypse was pretty good, I can attest ::)

13. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Well, Uncanny 300 through the Age of Apocalypse was pretty good, I can attest ::)

No, it wasn't, and so can I.

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    The last good X-comic Marvel did was GenX and then only for the first 25 or so issues, then they went to hell when they're plots just got silly and they began ruining characters.

Great X-Comics, from my top 11 comic list:

1. Agent X
    2. Deadpool
    3. The Ultimates
    4. Ultimate X-Men
    5. Daredevil
    6. Star Wars Redemption
    7. New X-Men
    8. Star Wars X-Wing
    9. Spiderman/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do
    10. Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra
    11. Elektra

Over 1/3 of the best comics are X-Comics, and three are still going :)

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The four best comics being published today in this order are...
    1. Agent X - Marvel
    2. Red Star - Crossgen
    3. Empire - Dark Horse Comics
    4. Y, the Last Man - Vertigo (DC)

I would add Chris Gossett's "Railverse" (or whatever it's called) when he finally gets that up and running on some sort of consistent basis.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, seriously, Reaper... you don't have Watchmen or Dark Knight on that list for... what reason?

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    [qi]So, seriously, Reaper... you don't have Watchmen or Dark Knight on that list for... what reason? [/i]

Watchmen doesnt intrest me,Dark Knight I dont read. Read a few Batman though :)

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Holy crap, Batman, DK2 sucked.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was talking old-sk00l DK, Genghis... ;)

20. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    I'm not really sure that it is fair to compare a proposed Star Wars AU with DC comics AU problems. We all know the story, that continuities became so intermingled that DC did a reboot in Crises on Infinite Earths. Later, in the mid-nineties another continuity fix, Zero Hour, was executed.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but DC had almost 50 years of storylines to deal with. When a character got stale, writers simply created a new, revamped character based loosely on the original. When fans got their undergarments in a bunch over continuity issues, writers contrived the "alternate earth" theory. Later there were alternate earths and alternate dimensions.

In Star Wars we are only dealing with 25 years of one time line. this time-line does not involve any type of "sliders" action . . . meaning, the Star Warriors never visited parallel universes where they met doppelgangers of themselves (note: I do believe that some Marvel tales and west end games sagas do include some pocket universe action). To sum up: The SW timeline is not the mess that DC was dealing with in the early 1980's.

A proposed SW AU would have to be clearly marketed as such. IMO, it would be more like the aforementioned Ultimate line at Marvel.

IMO, Marvel's answer to the "classic characters are going stale" problem is to create a totally new continuity where we can explore new avenues that may bring in new readers. I suppose that the reason they don't actually clean up the core titles is to avoid oldbie meltdown. Unfortunately that is what happens when popular characters have been around for 20-50 years. Writers simply run out of fresh ideas and readers lose interest.

Now, the question is this: will the Star Wars universe be vexed with staleness? the franchise is inching ever closer to the 30 year mark. I submit that once the fervor surrounding the prequels dies down and reader interest slowly wanes, we will see major changes in SW novels . . . that is if the novels are even still being produced. I think this is a logical progression. A good example is the NJO itself. IIRC, Del Rey has gone on the record admitting that they wanted to change the direction of the EU novels by creating a darker tone. IMO, this is the SW franchise changing to keep up with the times: ex. Darker Sci-fi/Fantasy is en vogue.

So there may come a time in the future that the EU (still existing in the same time line) is so different than current or past EU that it will appear to us to be AU. I think that is why fans of the EU have such a hard time accepting the Marvel comics and Glove of Darth Vader. Their tone and direction seems slightly "different" than the current EU . . . so much as to perhaps come across as an AU.

21. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Preach it Jedi Law! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.