main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After NJO, will star wars literature shift to the past?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SAGA-fan, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAGA-fan

SAGA-fan Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    New Jedi Order is the largest story arc in the history of Star Wars literature. The galaxy has been ravaged, carved out and destroyed. Coruscant has fallen, heros have died and the Skywalker/Solo children are slowly becoming the heros of tommorrow and seemingly are being groomed to take over as the main characters. But are we going in that direction? There are basically two options.

The first, is make a MAJOR shift in Star Wars literature. Since the start of the SW Book craze, the OT character; luke, leia, han; have been at the forefront of most of the stories. However, the NJO has totally reshaped the Galaxy and set the stage for a new band of heros to take the forefront, while the OT heros quietly move into the background.

The other, is a shift into the past. This is the option I personally want to be exercised. The three years of the Clone Wars need to be fully explored. The beginnings of the New Republic and Palpatine's beginnings on Naboo and as a Senator. How about the prime of the Jedi Order? Yoda, Mace, Qui-Gon. More interesting, the 20 years between EP. 3 and a New Hope. I'd love to see novels about the Empire's golden age. Darth Vader's exploits and expierements throughout the galaxy. What about Leia and Luke's childhood. Specifically Leia, as the first daughter of Alderaan. Padame can be explored, and her torment over the fall of Anakin and the loss of her son for his own safety. The start of the Rebellion? There is a whole wealth of unexplored Star Wars cannon that needs to be addressed. After the NJO wraps up, and Episode 3 is released, i think Star Wars Literature needs to take a step back to take a step foreward.

2. yodafett_77

yodafett_77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Honestly, and I hate to say this... I expect to see SW die in the next 5 years... no new movies after EP3, I expect to loose a lot of fans afterwards... people will loose interest, less sales, less purchases... I hate to think like that, but it's what I see... just like the late 80's all over again...

3. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Man, there's been a lot of discussion on this lately. I only want a series set after NJO if it is original and interesting. Personally, I think the galaxy deserves a bit of peace, and while that doesn't leave any action to write about, I wouldn't mind a novel that focuses on the heroes and heroines taking a break from the duties of being heroes and heroines.

4. yodafett_77

Oct 25, 2001
    I whole heartedly agree... kinda a Tales of the Galactic Alliance at Peace type of thing.... buncha short intertwined stories of happy lives.... I'm just afraid we'll never get to see one... :(

5. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    I think after Episode III is released. Del Rey or whoever has the lisence then should do two ongoing novel series:eek:ne set between Episode III and ANH about Darth Vader,the formation of the Rebellion etc. and one set 40-50 years after ANH dealing with Jacen & Jaina as Jedi Masters and Ben Skywalker as a Jedi and a starship commander.

They can publish both story arcs simultaneously like Dark Horse is doing the Republic and Empire series.

6. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    These stories can be published between 2006 and 2010.

7. yodafett_77

Oct 25, 2001
    Well, no one can say you don't have your priorities in order T007, lol.

J/K.

;)

8. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    Since the Clone Wars is being done by Republic Comics, I think Galactic Civil War is being done by Empire, Republic-Imperial War has been done to death by Bantam and NJO is finishing off there isn't much left to do.

I am not really interested in the ancient past, the few backstories there is enough, Ep3 to ANH would be a good ongoing series, and a series continuing after NJO should go ahead.

Luke discovering his family history needs to happen shortly after NJO before the next series starts.

What other eras are there?

9. ImDaBudge

ImDaBudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I have to sadly agree that I believe it'll all die off a year or two after Ep. 3 is released. Honestly, how many of us where reading the EU stuff before Ep. 1. I know I wasn't.

I considered myself a Star Wars fan but had no idea that there were novels and comics and the like.

But what I'd like to see is the continuation of the current time line. Luke, Mara, Han and Leia retire on some planet. Jacen, Jaina, and Ben go fight evil where ever it is. The only trick to doing all of that is keeping it original. By then anyone who remembers the "glory Days' of the Empire are old, or dead. The Empire by all rights should just fall apart and become part of the NR.

I think more of a history for Yoda, and Mace, and maybe some other Old Rep. Jedi. But not this Obi-Wan or Anakin as a padawan. Full grown jedi kicking some butt.

10. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I don't show much interest in the prequel eras in all honesty (still haven't watched TPM yet, can never quite be bothered). I enjoy a good read more than a movie (that's JUST ME, not a criticism of the SW movies, I assure you of that). I much prefer reading about a series that's moving onwards, going in a direction I don't yet know (for the same reason I'm not interested in boox that fill in the Bantam era even MORE so). The only series that *could* interest me is post-NJO, tbt.

11. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    After NJO, will star wars literature shift to the past?

I thought that all Star Wars literature took place in the past.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away

12. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    I find it hard reading about the past when u know that a chars gonna be dead in a few books time...Not a lot can suprise u about the pre ANH books cos u already know the outcome, about Darth Vader and the fall of the Republic. I find these books interesting but not asorbing.

I hope we see the books moving on to post NJO.

13. finaljump

finaljump Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    I think that the decision of what direction Star Wars novels go after NJO will be made as The Unifying Force gets closer to release. NJO seems to have really revitalized the saga over the past few years, and I personally really enjoy having an overall story arc compared to the one-shots or trilogies that the EU used to use. If the writers and fans think that the Luke, Han and Leia time period is over, and that the Jacen/Jaina isn't going to be interesting, then perhaps there will be a shift to a different time period. Of course, with some of the new developments from Destiny's Way, it looks like there's plenty of opportunity for new stories in the future of that galaxy far, far away.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I expect to see SW die in the next 5 years... no new movies after EP3, I expect to loose a lot of fans afterwards... people will loose interest, less sales, less purchases... <<

Well, don't forget that SW lit did pretty well for itself when we didn't know if Lucas was ever gonna make any more SW films (1991 through 1995) until he announced his intentions to do so around late 95 or so, about the same time the SE's began work, IIRC.

It might not get as many "newbies" after, say, 2006 when Episode 3's hype dies down, but it'll certainly maintain itself for at least another 5 to 10 years after that film comes out.

And, of course, when they allow me to make Quest's EU TV Show, SW EU will be sustained for another healthy decade or two ::)

15. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    When all the movies finally come out we better see a lot more stories set in the past. I think there are so few now because of all the unanswered movie questions. Books set during episodes 1-3 will just be fill in the gap stories and not extremely captivating. There are endless possibilities for earlier times, though. I've always wanted some stories to come from the Chu-Unthor.(sp?) Imagine the places a good author could take a star destroyer sized mobile jedi training complex. Maybe just more on how it came to rest on Dathomir.

I'll need a really good hook to get me addicted to an earlier world with new characters the way "Heir to the Empire" got me going, but it could really tie in with the current stories as something of a history lesson.

16. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    i'd love to see more books after njo but i also think that would ruin it all...njo is like the ultimate sw series...the biggest threat...after it is done, any other threat is lame

here's a little "analogy"...i dunno if anyone has read this series but anyways...

a few years a ago the animorphs series ended...after 60+ books, the enemy (the yeerks) were destroyed...in the last book...one of the characters dies...and the rest of them go on to and try to live normal lives again. one of the animorphs, axmili, is an alien..so he returns to his homeworld and he joins the space navy...one day they find a strange ship and try to board it...they disappear...so the rest of the animorphs go off to find their friend...and thats where the series ends...the author of this series said she ended it this way because "the animorphs came in fighting a war...and they went out fighting a war" or somehting to that effect

so the point is...some things are better left alone

17. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
  18. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Yes, Even_Piell, I was a big Animorphs fan. I hated the way the series ended though, and I hope that Star Wars doesn't go the same way.

19. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i personally would like to see books go even more forward... not backwards. i want new stuff!!! :D

~NiKe, DaRK LaDy oF THe SiTH~

20. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    it was a dramatic ending...but i agree...i wish there was at least one book on wat happened with the kelbrid and all...they probably died :(...but anyways...heeeeyyyyy isn't esplin visser 1's (formerly visser 3's) real name?

21. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I want a Vader trilogy set between Episode 3 and 4. Maybe they could have it about a dark jedi who wants to kill Vader and replace him. It would be much more of a challenge instead of Xizor( who I believe was too weak to go up against Vader)in SoTE. Or a conspiracy that's occurring in the Empire, I don't care. I just want to see more novels of Vader. If Boba and Maul can get their own books, how come Vader can't?

22. Adm_voss_parck

Adm_voss_parck Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2002
    Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. :p

Seriously though, as said earlier the GFFA will be in tatters after NJO, ravaged by war there will undoubtedly be those who will seek to take the opportunity to carve themselves a new empire. maybe even acertain senator from DW ;)

And since the fate of the Vong is ultimately up in the air, they may even become a new political force alongside the NR and IR. Doubtful, but possible.

Personally i would not like to see a regression. We have a new line of prominent characters emerging to take a strong position it the EU Lit area, hopefully DR will lose the publishing rights and someone who actually does care about it will pick it up.

We can always hope.

23. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    Er, what do you mean, Even? Um, what're you talking about? ... :) Okay, I admit it. You come in second place in the contest to guess my name's origin. And here is your prize: :) Peace out.

24. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    second place?!

25. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    Yes, I'm afraid Corran-somebody-or-other beat you to it. Well, second's better than, uh, third...or last...... All hail the Council of Thirteen. Bow down to the power of the Yeerk Empire, human scum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.