main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After posting...why "click here"?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by One-with-the-Force, Nov 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I was wondering why we have to "click here" after posting a message to see our post. Isn't it a waste to have that transition screen? It would be much easier to be able to see the message right away.

Just a thought. Comments appreciated.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Sometimes people don't want to go back to their post and go to the forum or somewhere else instead.

Other then that I can't think of anything off hand.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Isn't it a waste to have that transition screen? It would be much easier to be able to see the message right away.

Given the size of some threads, that?s not always desirable. It takes a lot less time to load the transition screen than to load a forty to fifty post page with images. Running on a 56k at home, I?m rather grateful for it. Also, not everyone has any interest in checking their post. They draft it ahead of time, then ?fire and forget?, to borrow a term from the US military.

4. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    would it be possible to change things so you can check a box to immediately return to the thread when you hit "post"? (kinda like ezboards)

5. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Well I wish there was a way to turn it off. Kind of like the 'your email has been sent' thing in Hotmail that you can turn off.

edit: hey farraday, i love the new sig! the old one was cool because it seemed to reflect your views but with the new one your posts have so much more meaning. if you know what i mean. ;)

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Depending on the coding, it may be nessesary.

¤Night

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm gratified you noticed Nailbiter... i was thinking of changing it to Probitas laudatur--et alget... or maybe Bonum virum natura, non ordo, facit.

I'm sure you'd be amused.

As for the post here, Gandolf has a good point and I still think it would require a coding change.

Although it is possible, however inconceivable, I could be wrong.

Hmm, maybe Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla....

8. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Some boards have the coding set to automatically forward you if you don't select a link on the screen after 20 seconds or so.

The extra coding that zerosleep would have to do for this would be a huge favor, and since we aren't at liberty to get changes done unless IGN gets changes done to the code, I'd say the chances of this every happening are slim to none.

9. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    I'll post a thread about this over at the IGN Board Issues. Please repeat exactly what I should ask for again. Thanks.

10. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think finding a board system that we can change around as then need arises(and that will be able to handle the large numbers that snowboards does) should be a high priority for TFN. It would make things so much easier.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No system will be just right for the JC. Things that this system provides won't be there in other boards, and vice versa.

12. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Well what about getting permission to change this one around? I don't know alot about copyrights or whatever the hell says we can't just code whatever we want, but there's gotta be some way to get permission from IGN.

In fact, I'd love to see all ties to that whore-pit IGN severed and cauterised.

The only respectable snowboard aside from this one died with ChickClick. :(

13. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    It's no longer snowboards, its IGNboards [face_shocked]

14. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Well we're focussing on recoding the boards...can we get a link to an online grocery store in the header, I'm getting kinda hungry. :)

Seriously, how hectic is your life that you can't possibly wait for a transition screen to load?!? :eek: Is it slowing down your post rate that drastically?!? :eek: Why do you have to see what you just wrote...you wrote it! :eek: Have you never heard of a Preview button?!? :eek: Why am I so freaked out, is it the caffeine?!? :eek:

;)

15. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I think its good as it is, no need to change. But I doubt the "ruling council" gave it any thought ;)

Axl.

16. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    JediCourier used [face_shocked] five times in one post!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[face_mischief]

17. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    :eek:
    5 ;)
    [face_shocked]
    [face_shocked]
    [face_shocked]
    [face_shocked]
    [face_shocked]

I just had too!!! ;)

18. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker

Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Spam in Communications= bad

19. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Actually I wish the system was something like this.

Instead of taking you to that page it'll give you a little system message up top. This is how it works with PMs. Now some of you may complain that you don't want to see the same thread after and instead you wanna go back to the board you posted it on posting but then again its still one click away like the previous system. Then again, some of you might ask "what use is it if its gonna still be one click away?" Well at least now one of the options is only one click away. Well then some of you might say "its not fair that that option is one click away...i want the other one to be one click away so i can go straight to the board." Well, think of it like this: its easier to go from the thread to the board becaus eyou just click Communications on top where it always is...easy huh? If your on the board, its a tad more difficult and inconvenient to find the thread and go to it. Plus, its kind of stupid to have to post a message and then go back and click on the thread to see it.

20. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    JediCourier, it isn't that hectic, but if would be easier...

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, I don't have much of a problem with the transition screen, and, actually am quite glad for it. Some pages have huge post lengths, and at twenty-five posts per page and a pathetic internet speed, you don't know how much time it takes to load that page.

Besides, if you really don't want to go back to the post, why not simply hit the Back button the moment you say "Website Found: Waiting for Reply" on the bottom of the window, in the scroll bar? 8-} (Of course, if you aren't at your school/college computer, you would have to hit the Refresh button, but that's only a click away, and you don't have to wait for the transition screen to load.)

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.