main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After repeated viewings, which Star Wars/Disney film is the best/more enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2017.

?

Best Star Wars/Disney film?

1. The Force Awakens

56 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Rogue One

75 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. The Last Jedi

63 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    I have to go with The Last Jedi. It's the movie that keeps the most with you everytime you finish it. It makes you re-think everything you thought you knew about Star Wars, the Force and all it's characters.

The Force Awakens is very enjoyable and it's pacing is arguably better, but being very similar to ANH it offered little new besides the new characters (I love Rey btw)

And Rogue One is a very gritty Star Wars war film and very well done, but it's characters don't develop much and are some very one-dimensional.

MYMUTHAZ and Yora like this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Clearly The Force Awakens which did build up a lot of great things, only to be ruined by The Last Jedi. :rolleyes:

3. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    rogue one for me. i loved it immediately and didn't feel the need to convince myself that i did. i've warmed up to tfa over the past two years although i still wish that it hadn't gone the route of "empire vs rebels" (sorry to bring up that tired discussion again). i still need to see the last jedi a second time to really get a sense of how i feel about it but as of now i can't find the energy to sit through it again so that's that (for now at least) :(

4. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    In terms of just pure quality for me it's definitely TLJ > R1 > TFA.

Though TLJ has some structural issues and some bloat that TFA doesn't, what it accomplishes blows it out of the water for me.

Kuestmaster likes this.
  5. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Rogue One, followed by The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens. I find the complex themes of the first two more appealing.

Funbox likes this.
  6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Rogue One for me, with TFA and TLJ languishing at the bottom of the pile...

Ahsoka Blaster, Blue 5 and Funbox like this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Force Awakens. It’s my favourite film of all time. But I love all three of them.

heels1785 , jaqen and MarcJordan like this.
  8. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014
    TFA is a more consistently thrilling – and therefore enjoyable – pop spectacle, if not necessarily the better film. Rogue One was good, but marred by a shaky first hour. I am still attempting to reconcile some of my feelings toward TLJ.

Rhyoth, Ahsoka Blaster and Mendoza like this.
  9. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    RO. Best SW movie in 30 years and the only one that feels like its set in the same universe.

JorakUln, Miriedis, Blue 5 and 3 others like this.
  10. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    TFA, I wasn`t fully onboard with some story choices either but I found it to be engaging with likeable new characters.

Then RO, simply for its insanely strong third act.

TLJ... sigh, not my cup of tea for the most part.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  11. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    The Force Awakens is my favorite Star Wars movie ever, it is perfection! I've rewatched it more times than I can count and love it with all my heart.

Rogue One is some good stuff. I admire it for making A New Hope shine even brighter than I thought possible.

The Last Jedi, bad. I'm struggling to accept it, but I don't think I ever will. It left me with the worst feeling ever.

JorakUln and Miriedis like this.
  12. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    The Force Awakens and Rogue One are not perfect Movies. And not every Star Wars Movie has to be a flawless Masterpiece at least for me.
    So i enjoyed TFA very much for what i think it wants to be: celebrating the Fun of Classic Star Wars.

With Rogue One i had some more issues. But it has grown on me in the past couple Month. And now i would say it is the best of the new ones.

TLJ is a whole different thing. I never felt so uncomfortable with so many Scenes/Characters/Storytelling- and Plotchoices. It felt nothing like an Star Wars SAGA Film. It felt more like a 3-Story-Arc from Rebels. And don't get me wrong, i love Rebels and the Ghost Crew sooo much (Hera! :hera: ), but it is a different Kind of Star Wars.
    I saw it four times now and nothing changed my mind. Basically i think that LFL and Johnson did the same thing with this Movie what Luke did with the Lightsaber, they tossed it away and try to sell it as Bold and fresh. And i am disappointed especially because of that:

https://www.google.de/search?q=your snoke theory sucks&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS-5zzipvYAhVRbVAKHXwUA_QQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=765

Miriedis, Funbox and Darth Smurf like this.
  13. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    All 9 obviously!!

Blobofat and MarcJordan like this.
  14. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    In terms of most fun, definitely TFA for me. I think it's the most enjoyably paced of any SW film, and I was surprised by how much I liked the new characters right from the get-go.
    I've only seen TLJ once, so it's hard to judge it fairly. I liked the deeper themes it explored, but I found it overall less enjoyable than TFA.
    Rogue One has a fantastic second half, but its first half is a mess. Also, I just never warmed to its characters the way I warmed to the characters of the ST. That's not to say I dislike them, but they just lacked a certain level of charm for me.

15. Mendoza

Mendoza Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2015
    Most enjoyable and best are two different things, though I suspect The Force Awakens would be the majority pick for both measurements.

Rogue One is dense and the characters don't pop like the newbies in the proper trilogy, Jyn really gets lost in the shuffle, though that may be by design seeing that they all died. It's definitely good, but it doesn't lend itself well to causal viewing. The Force Awakens is pure entertainment, a pop corn flick as it were. I like The Last Jedi, but I can already tell there's aspects of it I probably won't be excited to see again.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Force Awakens, but could be TLJ in the future, watching the movie in home.

MarcJordan likes this.
  17. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Rogue one is a direct prequel and has more drama and tension than both movies, especially vii.

Miriedis, Blue 5 and Funbox like this.
  18. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I think it’s simple, at least from my perspective. Rogue One & The Last Jedi took chances, were not safe and had Legendary lore and expectations to meet, which I believe they both accomplished. The Force Awakens was safe (which is 100%) okay, and set up characters. The only risk Force Awakens took was the death of Han Solo.

Because of those risks for my viewing pleasure the answer is The Last Jedi. It takes risks, forces characters into uncomfortable positions and alliances. It challenges the cast and audience both emotionally but also psychologically. It makes you use critical thought ~ I love it.

Ender_and_Bean, Yora and Funbox like this.
  19. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    Rogue One, definitely. This movie gets better with each rewatch. Followed by TFA, even though I had plenty of issues with it but I still enjoyed it better than TLJ.

So, it's RO > TFA > TLJ, for me.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TFA is the most fun, but TLJ is more interesting.

MarcJordan likes this.
  21. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Rogue One seemed like the better example of taking risks while respecting what Star Wars is about.

22. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Interested to see the support for R1 here since for me it's absolutely the weakest Disney movie, although still head and shoulders above the prequels of course. The third act is magnificent, and the overall plot is strong, but the characters are all paper-thin and Jyn especially undergoes a complete change of heart central to the film apparently offscreen and with no obvious rationale.

Still though, that third act lets me forgive a lot.

Funbox likes this.
  23. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Rogue One benefits massively from its time and setting obviously. It's set in the time period most fans around here love and shows us Vader doing things we wish we could have seen in the OT but didn't. It slots in right before ANH and enriches ANH the way many hoped the prequels would.

It's also unique in that it caters to people who had secretly wished for more realism in Star Wars and less magic/Jedi/Sith stuff. For all of those fans it delivers huge. I'm a fan personally but I think those are its strengths along with how it retconned a huge question/matter of convenience (the weakness) into something deliberate.

The Last Jedi, for me, is Star Wars at its best and most offbeat and original from all other franchises that exist with a mix of magic / Jedi lore / military action / emotion / humor personal setbacks and growth / family conflicts / Space opera relationship issues and surprises that no other franchise can top so it's currently my favorite of the new films.

dogprivilege and PymParticles like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue One, hands down. I did three theatrical viewings and have watched the Blu-Ray multiple times since it came out. I love all the characters (except Krennic, and even he never made me want to go through the screen) and the way they interact with each other, particularly Chirrut and Baze, Cassian and K2SO, Jyn and her father. Jyn’s speech to the Alliance is one of the best in all of Star Wars, maybe the best. “What chance to we have? The question is, what choice? You give in to an enemy this evil with this much power and you condemn the galaxy to an eternity of submission. The time to fight is now!” K2SO is the best droid in Star Wars other than R2. I loved the background of the Death Star being built and how horrifying it was, a gist we did not and could not fully get watching ANH, I loved all the action, I loved the settings, especially Scariff.

The Last Jedi would be second at the moment. I have only watched it once, but I prefer it to TFA for the lines (humorous and otherwise), for more Finn action, for Holdo, for the settings (Canto Blight, Ach-To and Crait), and for the new creatures.

TFA is last, saw it a couple of times in the theater and have only watched the Blu-Ray once since I bought it. I don’t hate it but it’s not my favorite either.

MarcJordan and Funbox like this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    TLJ has an absurdly epic third act but, overall, I will be buried with a copy of Rogue One in my casket with me.