main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After repeated viewings, which Star Wars/Disney film is the best/more enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2017.

?

Best Star Wars/Disney film?

1. The Force Awakens

56 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Rogue One

75 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. The Last Jedi

63 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Hmm...this is actually really tough because I like all of them but for different reasons.
    I just rewatched TFA and RO after TLJ so they are all fresh in my mind.

TFA - The first hour is an amazing movie that properly introduces the new characters and makes you fall in love with them almost immediately. That's really tough to pull off. Once Starkiller Base enters the picture the quality goes down some but Han's death is handled so beautifully and I really enjoy the Rey/Kylo duel. It isn't terribly original but it does capture the feel of a Star Wars movie very well.

RO - I'm constantly struck by the attention to detail to make everything look like ANH-era Star Wars. The space battle at the end is one of my favorites. First viewing in the theater I wasn't sold on Tarkin/Leia but on blu-ray they actually seem much better somehow? Some of the speeches seem a bit forced and uninspired. The characters are somewhat-likable but not to the same degree as TFA's new characters. Overall it is a good standalone movie.

TLJ - This is so new I'm still processing it but my first viewing left me feeling somewhat disappointed. My second viewing I thought it was one of the best things I've ever seen...so...yeah. I think it was not what I expected, but once I got over that I could really enjoy the movie. The character development of Rey, Kylo, Poe, and even Luke are spectacular. Finn/Rose scenes didn't do a lot for me but I like the themes of their story and how it ties into the overarching themes of the movie. I like that RJ made a movie we need to think about, but that is something we aren't necessarily used to with Star Wars. TFA you can just watch and enjoy and feel good about it. With TLJ there is a lot more going on with characters and themes.

I think I'll go with TLJ...for now anyway. Ask me again in 2 years and who knows.

Eternal_Jedi, MarcJordan and Kole like this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Rogue One! I actually think it enhances the OT even more than the pedestal I already had it on :cool:

3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    1. RO
    2. TFA
    3. TLJ

I agree that RO gets better with each showing and for me it's definitely got a Prequel/OT vibe. It has bits of visuals that I loved the PTs about whilst maintaining an even better vibe than the OT. The characters have their moments and the action sequence was perfect. Perfect. It handles it all spectacularly which is surprising considering it's directed by the guy that brought us that god-awful Godzilla movie. I went in there expecting to hate it but it was grand.

Ironically, I went to TLJ with high expectations but I was horribly disappointed. TFA was okay for nostalgic purposes and I feel that was what JJ had in mind with Luke and the NR meant to have a bigger impact than what RJ did for them in TLJ.

I don't know what it is about the STs but I'm finding even the music to be lackluster, it just doesn't have that hyperactive energy the PTs or even the OTs had that got me all excited. With RO, I dunno who they got for the music but it definitely had me going. Even that vocal bit with DV at the end. Definitely a PT-OT vibe.

But really, the STs feel like something I could've seen out of Rebels, which I find okay, but the formula of Rebels vs. Big Empire has gotten really tired. It was an okay movie as a general summer flick, but I feel like giving RJ an entire SW trilogy of his own to direct is a bit over the top.

MS1, Miriedis, Torib and 3 others like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Aw man, I think Solo could be the best!

PymParticles likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think it'd be hilarious if, after all the pre-release skepticism, it ends up being the most well-received of the new movies.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have only seen TLJ once.

R1 is the best so far imo.
    TFA was pretty fun though.

7. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I completely agree with your assessment. My main gripe with Rogue One was the weak soundtrack that sounded like it was intentionally trying not to step on John Williams' toes by avoiding the classic themes, but even still, it (the R1 soundtrack) has grown on me. And a movie is doing pretty darn good if the soundtrack is someone's top gripe, lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  8. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Rogue One. Easily.

A tragic tale about how the Empire destroyed a loving family.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    You chose wisely.

11. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Rogue One - 10/10 or 5 Stars
    The Force Awakens - 9.9/10 or 5 Stars
    The Last Jedi - 9.8/10 or 5 Stars

To close for me to call. Hold a lightsaber to my neck and Ill say Rogue One.

MS1 and Kole like this.
  12. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    TFA 9.9/10
    TLJ 8.5/10
    RO 3.5/10

TFA and TLJ made me "feel" like a star wars fan again. With RO, felt like i was watching someone from EU/Legends getting to write a script.

and just to head it off, no i'm not implying your love of RO is wrong. These were just my purely subjective feelings from my movie going experience.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    TLJ by far.

By the nature of their narratives, TFA and R1 needed to traffic in some nostalgia, but the entire thesis of TLJ is to progress beyond it. It's the ballsiest Star Wars film since TPM.

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The Last Jedi is the one I have the most interest to see again.

I loathed TFA and haven't even seen it since December 2015.

On the other hand, Rogue One is visually the most beautiful SW film since ROTS. Beautiful environments that combine both PT and OT aethetics, and the final half hour is breath-taking.

Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy the first hour, and I don't care at all about the characters. It's hard for me to get through it minus the action scenes. Still, it helps enrich ANH and I am happy it exists.

The Last Jedi has alot I enjoyed tbh. I felt like I was watching a new saga film try something new. Something I hate about TFA.

Even though Luke could've had a better story, he was still by far the most entertaining character, and it was such a good time to see him give the Skywalker family one last moment.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    The Force Awakens is the smartest of all the Star Wars movies. And it builds, unlike TLJ, which peaks in the middle and then slowly dies. JJ has problems with tone inconsistency and the connective tissue of filmmaking. But he makes every single big moment pay down the stretch. And he gets that the movies are fundamentally about Rey and Kylo, with an assist from Finn, and all the small characters are there to serve their journeys. RJ overpopulate TLJ with character arcs, and they are weaker than, and draw away from, the central plot. Rogue One is a decent film with an exciting final hour, but pretty forgettable.

16. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Johnson inhereted those character. It was stated in a different thread that JJ and Kennedy ordered a rewrite in order to include more poe and Finn. That leaves the impression that Rian perhaps indeed wanted a more close knit film, which imo would be beneficial.

Last Jedi has some real character issues, maybe partially because of a forced shift in focus. However, when Last Jedi has that rhythm, it is really really really good. NOTHING in Force Awakens comes close to the lead up of Luke, Rey, and Kylo going to snoke throne room, imo.

Aetius888 likes this.
  17. Cody2017

Cody2017 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2017
    In order:

1. The Last Jedi
    2. The Force Awakens
    3. Rouge One

18. Breebel

Breebel Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    TLJ.

Any movie that combines concepts of the sephirothic tree of life vs the qlippothic tree of death (if you'll notice you'll see that the Jedi temple was built in a tree, while the dark side cave was basically a tree upside down with the roots around the ring) with a commentary on how greed and excess is built on the back of the pain and suffering of others gets my vote.

The symbolism in this movie is absurdly epic. This isn't just the best of the Disney films. It's the best out of ALL the films.

MarcJordan likes this.
  19. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    If so, wow. Bad choice.

TLJ definitely has some high points. The duel in the snow vs. the throne room? Tough one. They're both great.

20. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Last Jedi (x3 theatrical viewings and counting)
    2. Rogue One (x3 theatrical / x13 home viewings)
    3. The Force Awakens (x2 theatrical / x7 home viewings)

21. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    Rogue One Rogue One Rogue One.
    Filled with hope, like any proper Star Wars Film (side-eyes ST films), keeps Force stuff to a minimum (I love the Force but it was interesting to see it have a reduced role while still being inspiring), and delivers an action-packed war movie. And who didn't bite their knuckles in glee when the full force of the Rebel Alliance appeared out of hyperspace in 2016 CGI glory??

TFA was good, love the new characters (except Kylo).

TLJ can choke

JorakUln, Blue 5, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    TLJ for me by some distance, but I love them all and think each offers something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcJordan likes this.
  23. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    TLJ
    Rogue One
    TFA

I didn't hate TFA at all, but outside of the introduction to the new characters, the movie is a bit of a chore to sit through at times for me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I can't really say, I have enjoyed all 3 equally and more than that equally to the previous 6. I feel fortunate that has been the case so far, because I was nervous when Disney took over. I shouldn't have been as these have all been fantastic. I can't really decide which is most rewatchable either because I've seen them the same number of times in theaters except for TLJ, which will get there.

In some ways I might vote for TFA simply because it's more light-hearted, and the last two films are so dark that all they provide at the end is "hope," but ultimately they're all such great films. As a kid I always felt ROTJ was the most rewatchable because of it ending the series, and I still feel that when I want something positive and uplifting, it's going to be ROTJ or perhaps ANH. I'm sure Episode IX will serve a similar function for this trilogy.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  25. Do it for Holdo

Do it for Holdo Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2017
    TLJ connected with me on a level and made me think in ways I haven’t since the OT. I didn’t think any of these would surpass ROTJ or ROTS for me but TLJ did. My own father made an enormously bad decision in life that brought shame to me as his son and I still feel bad for the people impacted. It damaged my relationship with him and we don’t talk any more. Luke’s forgiveness in ROTJ is touching in the catholic sense but it never felt earned to me for all he had done. I relate to Luke’s issues of guilt and shame even though I didn’t cause the issues my father did. It made me wonder about him again and made me think about the anger I still have inside that I probably need to resolve and come to terms with. No blockbuster film I can recall in a long time has shook me to my core like this film did. I want to heal as Luke did and I think the first step is me just realizing that anger and embarrassment haven’t gone away and that I need my own Yoda. Somebody to talk to because bottling it up and pretending I can’t work through it more is holding me back.

I apologize for the rant. TLJ is my pick for obvious reasons as you can probably see. I really enjoy each of the threads and Holdo’s sacrifice was incredibly satisfying to behold.

I also love TFA and RO about the same for different reasons. I feel all 3 are above 8 out of 10 films for me as a Star Wars fan though.

Eternal_Jedi, Grey Matter and Bowen like this.