main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After repeated viewings, which Star Wars/Disney film is the best/more enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2017.

?

Best Star Wars/Disney film?

1. The Force Awakens

56 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Rogue One

75 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. The Last Jedi

63 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I've only seen TLJ twice, so tough to say where things will fall with greater perspective. TFA is an enjoyable and fun movie with characters I was invested in. I like re-watching it.
    Rogue One had a lot of epic scenes, but I don't really care about the characters (with the exception of K2) or even the mission they're on. The Last Jedi is probably the most interesting.

Right now TLJ >TFA > RO

2. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    TFA is so bland imo that I just zone out when I try to watch it over again. I don’t think TLJ will be like that for me though, it’s definitely got more to enjoy.

3. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    TLJ has much more to catch with repeat viewings, which is so fun to discover. I found something new with every viewing (four) that I've had so far.

I love RO and TFA. But TLJ has way more scenes that I would put in my top favorites of the SW saga as a whole.

Satipo and Darth-Seldon like this.
  4. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017

What...? As far as I'm concerned RO had the STRONGEST soundtrack so far. I dunno who the guy was but they should really consider him for future movies.

Which is sad, because John Williams was behind TLJ and TFA. I dunno what's going on with him, but the ST soundtrack has been pretty forgettable save for some bits in TFA. TLJ was completely abysmal.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I like the TFA and TLJ soundtracks, but I'm with you on R1's soundtrack. I love it. I haven't looked into this anywhere to know if it's blasphemous to prefer a non-JW attempt at SW, but I loved the fresh take that was both homage and different.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I say TLJ, minus the moments that take you out of the movie like most of the Canto Bight stuff. RO is fine, but the first half lull brings it down for me. TFA is fun, but I always find myself thinking I'd rather spend my time rewatching an OT film.
    1) TLJ
    2) RO
    3) TFA

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting topic!

I went with The Last Jedi. This film has grown on me since I first saw it, and now that I've seen it again recently, I enjoyed it much more. To me, just being able to get over the initial shock of things and also notice more minor details really helped. Compared to TFA it really moves the story forward for the ST. It's still not my favorite by any means, but I have gone from disliking it to quite enjoying it-which IMO is quite a move!

Rogue one was just-Rogue One to me. It was great, and I really like it, but to me it's like a piece of fruit stripe gum: A huge-and great-blast of flavor right away, but after just a little bit it loses all its flavor, and you still chew it cos "hey, at least it's gum!" As opposed to the saga episodes, which are much richer in depth, story and meaning-so there's much more to enjoy there on repeat viewings. There really IS such a thing as "too much of a good thing," which IMO R1 has quite a bit of.

The Force Awakens actually grew a bit LESS enjoyable as time went on. Not sure why-I like it, but maybe its cos we learn almost nothing in that one, and the story basically goes nowhere, in terms of the trilogy. Perhaps when the trilogy is complete I may see it in a different light...

Satipo likes this.
  8. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I didn't get to watch Rogue One until the last week it was in theaters. When I walked out I felt it was the best Star Wars film after ESB. While ANH has come back to #2 for me since it's still the best thing Disney has done since they acquired the franchise.

TFA was loads of fun when I saw it, with time it's become less interesting as the rehash accusations seemed right but it still felt like Star Wars.

Both Rogue One and TFA in essence feel like movies made by people who have a lot of love for Star Wars and respect everything it is about.

TLJ, all I will say is LOL.

9. JorakUln

May 23, 2005
    This is basically what happened with Rogue One. Given Kasdan is involved it wouldn't surprise me at all. It also will show a worrying trend that the Anthology films will be 2/2 in eclipsing the "saga" films which get worse and worse as the story goes on.

When it's all said and done the bottom line may end up being that we didn't need new stories about Han Luke and Leia. Just new cartoons and Anthology films would have been fine.

Blue 5 likes this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, I’m the opposite. I liked both TFA and TLJ more than Rogue One, and although I have high hopes Solo turns out well, I’m sure I’ll like them better than it as well. I have noticed an interesting contrast between people who are responding more positively to the ST than the spin-offs (both released and announced) and vice-versa, though.

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    This is my POV too. I love all three, but TLJ is easily the deepest and richest thematically and in terms of character for me. I think it's got the most going on thematically of all the films.

12. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I guess TFA. I saw TLJ for a second time in theaters with some of my family members and got very bored during the repeat viewing (my mother fell asleep for her first viewing, I couldn't blame her).

lookameatbag likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think by far it has the most thematic depth and breadth of the entire series, and that lends itself well to its rewatchability for me, but I also just find it to be a really fun film filled with exciting moments I love to relive. It really is the whole package deal.

Satipo likes this.
  14. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Rogue One is easily the best made film. Best characters, best story, good for casuals and hardcores alike. TFA was a decent start point. TLJ burned that start point down.

15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. I have some nitpicks and things I would have done a little differently, but I love it. RJ played a blinder.

PymParticles likes this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Rogue One by a mile

17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "The Rebellion is reborn today." AND "I will not be The Last Jedi."

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  18. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Rogue One: I've really warmed up to this one with more viewings at home (not that I disliked it previously). It's such a strong, immersive experience; the Star Wars/war film juxtaposition is thrilling, especially when it all comes to a head at Scarif; and the characters are interesting in a relatively understated way, which adds to the rewatch value. I also love the nods to Rebels; just seeing the Ghost in live action is surreal.

The Last Jedi: It still has that new-thing filter, but I love it and am itching to get my third viewing. Even listening to the score makes me appreciate how eclectic it is, like all of Star Wars in a nutshell, the package deal as Pym said.

The Force Awakens: My first step into a larger fandom world, it's still such a fun yet evocative ride with immediately endearing new characters, including the one I relate to most in the saga.

All in all (and without voting for now), TFA is still my favorite, but I echo that there's something to love about each one. Star Wars is in a great position. :)

19. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I've seen TLJ 4 times so far and it's gotten better every time.
    TFA and RO both got better after multiple viewings, but not to the same level as TLJ.
    It' just deeper, with so much more going on.

Ruffmeian and PymParticles like this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    This Is how I put them in order,
    1.TFA
    2.TLJ
    3.RO
    But I love them all TLJ got bumped up one after second viewing!

Satipo and 3sm1r like this.
  21. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Rogue One by about 12 parsecs.

mirrorbright, T-R-, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  22. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Well I'm glad someone (well, at least two) love the R1 soundtrack. To me, it was "inspired by Star Wars" rather than "this IS Star Wars". John Williams has a distinct style, and it makes me smile when I hear it in any movie/series. :)
    I heard a (older, think ~60 year old) coworker mention he thought parts of TLJ felt slow/boring to him, I think the middle part in particular. I found that surprising, as that never crossed my mind in the theater.

23. JorakUln

May 23, 2005
    Unbelievably, I got bored during the initial viewing. Especially during the Canto Bight stuff. Never in a million years thought a Star wars film would almost put me to sleep. And I'm about half the age of the people you mentioned.

It happens. Not too farfetched.

T-R-, Dak Oolron, MS1 and 3 others like this.
  24. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm 35 and I got bored multiple times, and not just at some of the Canto Bight stuff. The Crait non-battle/tease was zone-out worthy until Luke showed up. The turtle-speed chase/massacre was also hard to pay attention to. No substantive action at all in two plot points that should have essentially been battles. Just very strange stuff for a SW film.

T-R-, Dak Oolron, MS1 and 4 others like this.
  25. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    RO by a million light years

mirrorbright, Blue 5, T-R- and 3 others like this.