1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TCF-1138 New Films & Fan Films Mod from the Far North

Manager
    star 5
    Yeah, that's a great trilogy of its own right there.
    Gigoran Monk, EHT and PCCViking like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The fall, the rise, and the fall of Anakin Skywalker. :)
    Last edited by Gigoran Monk, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Watma Rysou Jedi Youngling

I think the best way to introduce the saga to a kid who has never seen Star Wars is:

TFA: Start with The Force Awakens. Its basically A New Hope. Same story but better special effects.(Not saying its a better movie at all but more enjoyable for a kid in the year 2017) A kid would never notice the part of about Luke being Leia's brother in the opening crawl or really understand it. So the surprise in ROTJ is still intact. A kid watching for the first time would never piece together the whole Dark Vader is Luke and Leia's father. His helmet is in the movie for two seconds and he is briefly discussed. A kid would hopefully wonder who this Luke guy is and want to know more of the story and think Han Solo is a pretty cool dude.

ANH( special edition): All the classic characters and scenes. Watching the special edition would be an easier transition for a child then the theatrical version.

TESB (theatrical version): Best film of the saga and maybe best film of all time. See the force being used in a bigger way. Still love the revelation of Vader being Luke's father. First time we see the Emperor via hologram. And of course Yoda!!

ROTJ (theatrical version): Jaba, Ewoks and all the fun of Star Wars that I enjoyed as a kid.

R01: Prequel of Episode 4 or episode 3.9. Awesome film shows more of the star wars universe, gives more mystique to the force without going into detail. Shows the Rebels are not this perfect group. After watching all 3 of the original trilogy most of the easter eggs and stuff can be enjoyed in this film.Watch RO1 and ANH right after each other!
    ANH again!!!!" (Theatrical version) The stories of R01 and ANH are beautiful watching together.

TESB again!!!! (newest version)

First third of ROTJ (newest version): Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister. You find out what happens to Han. Jabba scenes are awesome. Then death of Yoda, last time Luke talks to Obi wan and he finds out about his sister. Also get to see more of the mysterious Emperor. RIGHT AFTER WATCHING FIRST THIRD OF ROTJ WATCH TPM!!!
    TPM: Prequels watched machete style or "Godfather II flashback" style

AOTC

ROTS: Find out what happened to Jedi and how Anakin turns. RIGHT AFTER WATCHING ROTS WATCH THE LAST TWO ACTS OF ROTJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last two acts of the ROTJ: The end of the original saga! Watching it this way gives way more meaning when Vader turns good.

TFA again!!!

Here is the order again.

TFA
    ANH newest version
    TESB theatrical version
    ROTJ theatrical version
    R01-ANH theatrical version
    TESB newest version
    First third of ROTJ. Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister.--TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS-Last two acts of the ROTJ
    TFA
    Last edited by Watma Rysou, Jul 13, 2017
  4. 11-4D Jedi Master

star 4
  5. TCF-1138 New Films & Fan Films Mod from the Far North

Manager
    star 5
    I don't think I've ever met a kid who would have the patience - or attention span - for this order to go over well.
  6. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    "Just forget it." - kid
  7. WebLurker Jedi Knight

star 4
    That sounds way to complicated to me. I think either doing rough release order or chronological order still works best; they allow single plot threads to play out in linear fashion.
  8. starfish Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I imagine most adults wouldn't have patience for that viewing order. :p
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    "OK, now remember this shot before I stop this DVD, because we'll return to this point in about 6 hours when we pick up that story thread again. So now I'm gonna just change the DVDs... OK, so now we're on chapter 4 in this movie, and -- hey wait, where are you going?"

:p
  10. starfish Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    As long as we don't attempt this with VHS tapes, I think I could handle it.
  11. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 9
    Kids would ask, "What's VHS?" :p
    starfish likes this.
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    My kids found our VCR put away in a cabinet and asked "what is this thing?". So I regaled them with tales of rewinding tapes before returning them to Blockbuster. :p
  13. Watma Rysou Jedi Youngling

All right, all right. Maybe not good for a kid. But good for a Star Wars expert like myself
    Sarge and starfish like this.
  14. Ricardo Funes Jedi Master

star 4
    I always introduced Star Wars to new fans using the OT-PT-ST order.

After R1, I may have to change that a little, as starting with R1 is not the best idea in my point of view.

So after R1, I am considering doing the PT-R1-OT-ST order.

I guess that this order, while losing some impact from the fatherhood and so on, is easier for newcomers to understand the story and what is happening in the OT.

Also, the PT has aged well enough, aside from some earlier CGI.
    Last edited by Ricardo Funes, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM
  15. Emperor Ferus Jedi Knight

star 4
    1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, RO, 7, HS, 8
  16. Artoo-Dion New Films Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Be kind. Don't remind.
  17. MrDarth0 Jedi Padawan

star 1
    4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, RO, 4, 5, 6, 7

Keep repeating until the day you die.
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 6
    Jumpin around the timeline, kick off with R1 just cuz it's shiny and new and leads right into ANH, and then cut in the PT as an extended flashback after the "I am your father" bomb which sets up ROTJ. Han Solo movie after Force Awakens as a memorial / origin for Han and to let the TFA cliffhanger "breathe"

So that's

Rogue One, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, Han Solo: A Han Solo solo movie, The Last Jedi
    starfish, PCCViking and Dr_Cthulhu like this.
  19. SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Padawan

As of now I belive watching the saga films first would be the best way. ep 1 - 7 Then rouge one, clone WARs and rebels.
  20. starfish Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The Han Solo movie film is going to be an interesting one to fit into viewing orders.
  21. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Chronologically, anyway, Solo will be after ROTS and before RO.
    thejeditraitor and PCCViking like this.
  22. starfish Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Sure, that always works well. I was more thinking about the variety of film styles, we'll have ROTS a kind of dark film, followed by Han Solo which maybe more humorous, followed by RO a gritty war film, followed by ANH which is still one of my favorite films of all time. Could be a rather fun experience.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Fearless Vampire Killer

Manager
    star 8
    I told my daughter we were going to try watching Star Wars in the insane way listed above. For the first heartbreaking time ever my daughter asked me, "Can we not watch Star Wars, then?".

Good job, nutty list maker person.
  24. Watma Rysou Jedi Youngling

That's too bad. Need a tissue or want some ice cream ?
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Fearless Vampire Killer

Manager
    star 8
    Nah. I'm fine. My brain actually functions normally.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.