main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Not a creative person? Some people brains function on a high level

2. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Sprinkles with ice cream?

3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

That's right....that wasn't a typo.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you want to see creative, I can ban you. That would be a neat trick that would probably get even more inspired reactions out of you than your current routine of butthurt lashing out in response to the silliest of jokes. Let me know by continuing to derail the thread with your clever personal sniping. We can treat your Unban Request thread like an art gallery exhibition for all of your amazing creativity.

5. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Goodbye.

[​IMG]

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    But if you watch all of them...I guess...

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, RO, HS? , 7, 8, 9

darthOB1 likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

I'm of the opinion that watching them in release order works best for newcomers to the Saga. For veterans, watch it in whichever order you prefer.

Since I know all the twists, I like watching them in chronological order. Mainly because I get my least favorites out of the way first.

8. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    These days it would be really hard to find someone who doesn't know the iconic scene where Vader tells Luke, "I am your father." Anyone who hasn't seen Star Wars probably doesn't know that Vader's real name is Anakin Skywalker. So there would probably be more of a shock factor to watching the PT first, not knowing the hero becomes the bad guy. The viewing order to show someone who has never seen any of them... 1 2 3 R1 4 5 6 7.

9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The problem with 123RO4567 is that I am not sure that I would like 123 as much as I do if I watched them without knowing where they lead to.

RO4567 are easier on general audiences.

Sarge likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "General Audiences"

[​IMG]

Death Wizard likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    1,2,3,RO,4,5,6,7. But I'm a rebel so I know that's not for everyone. :p

Death Wizard likes this.
  12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I use the Fibonacci order: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5...

TX-20, Gigoran Monk, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    But look how happy they are with RO456 :p

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I-VI. R1 was fun for a theatrical viewing, but there was nothing there that made me want to revisit the film. I would classify it as a decent, yet ultimately disposable franchise installment.

15. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    My problem with RO 4 5 6 7 is if you introduce someone to Star Wars with that order they'll be confused when watching RO. Rogue One was made for the people who already know what Star Wars is. A new comer will not know what they're talking about when the Force is mentioned, who Vader is & why he's so important, why Vader can move things with his mind, who Bail Organa is, or who Mon Mothma is talking about when she mentions Bail's "Jedi friend." Even C3-PO and R2-D2's cameo will be lost on them. Not to mention its tone isn't a great set up for the rest of the movies.
    I say stick with 1 2 3 RO 4 5 6 7 or just watch them in the order they were made but I feel like the overall epicness to the story won't be as great. I'm a fan of the chronological order.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    My only issue with that argument is that I don't think TPM is any better at setting up the Force or any of the other key concepts of Star Wars. Both TPM and R1 drop audiences in the deep-end.

Sarge and TX-20 like this.
  17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair point, although I wonder if enough of Star Wars has entered pop culture to kinda negate that problem?

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    None of that matters. It's mysterious stuff, just like there was mysterious stuff in ANH. And it works in Rogue One's favor, as the plot unfolded slowly, revealing info bit by bit. I watched Rogue One with two colleagues who never a Star Wars film, and they loved it and got everything about it (then proceeded to watch the whole OT and PT, and determine that RO was clearly the best of the series). The only question they had was about who Bail Organa was, but they figured (correctly) by the end of RO that he was simply a sympathetic Rebel character, and that he had dispatched Leia, another sympathetic Rebel (though they were aware of her from pop culture), to intercept the plans. RO works perfectly fine as a standalone. Indeed, it may even be better as one.

TX-20 and PCCViking like this.
  19. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    After RO, there is no viewing order. Just watch RO on a continuous loop.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    This has actually kinda turned out to be my new concept of watching Star Wars films.

21. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014

I've been caught up on the RO/ANH double feature lately.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I did 2 runs through ROTS/RO/ANH awhile back, and it was grandiose. But, it has been a bit of time since I've watched any of them aside from RO. And, that film seems to be on in my house at least once per week.

23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    It's really good to see that someone else caught the RO bug as badly as I did.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    IMO the best approach is by release date, simply because each new feature surely builds on and changes to a lesser or greater degree the viewers understanding of what has come before; especially with the episodic films. However, the beauty of allowing us various options in this regard should not be lost on anyone and is both unprecedented in the history of cinema and quite simply glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I watch RO or the RO/ANH combo at least once a week. I've been completely enamored with this phenomenal movie.