main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    OT then ROTS then RO,

2. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I'm thinking out of the box, but how about this order after Solo:

4, R1, 5, Solo, 6

You watch A New Hope and after they blow up the Death Star, then you watch the backstory on that plot point with R1. You then watch ESB and as they incase Han in Carbonite, then you watch the backstory on Solo, then you watch ROTJ to round out that OT story.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe? I tend to prefer chronological order and find that R1 works better as a lead into ANH then a flashback.

As far as Solo goes, I'd want to see how the movie is set up. For example, if there's some kind of framing device, I might prefer seeing it in relation to that.

Darth Bridge 167 likes this.
  4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm doing a 1-3, R1, 4, Solo, 5/6 watch through now, and it might be my new favorite marathon style.

EDIT: I should add, Solo will be a theatrical viewing. Nothing crafty going on here. ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    PCCViking likes this.
  5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Solo
    6. Rogue One
    7. The Force Awakens

Don't need Eps 1, 2 and 8 LOL.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  6. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Any order, unless you haven't seen any of them before; then probably chronological order.

Watma Rysou likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I’m still sticking with release order, Saga films only. The films build on each other most organically that way, since it’s the order the story was imagined and told.

Rogue One I think works best on its own, as something to be seen in the context of the OT but separately from it. And Solo will feel out of place in any marathon until the Darth Maul thread gets wrapped up.

3sm1r, datatapes and Sarge like this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Chronological.

Include the animated stuff.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I still prefer it all chronological, with Rogue One right before ANH. I can see your point, but if you've never watched ANH right after RO then you need to. Like, right now. Go.

I don't want to bring up box office woes in this thread, but I now have doubts about whether we'll see any more Solo movies that resolve the ending of this movie. In that regard, it's kind of too bad in retrospect that something like the Maul reveal got included, but I guess we can enjoy the what-ifs or maybe see it played out in books or something instead. So I'll go with inserting Solo into the chronological order like I do the others, even though the number of movies at this point is kind of making it a bit of a theoretical exercise.

TheYodaPagoda and Count Yubnub like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think the Boba Fett film, presuming it gets made, would be a good place for Maul to show up. Han should be kept as far away from the Force and anyone that can use it in this time period. I agree though, I wish they hadn’t included it. The film would have stood on its own a lot better without the reveal; it kind of retroactively casts the entire preceding film in a different light.

Sarge and EHT like this.
  11. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    They can resolve it in the Obi-Wan film, where he can finally impale Maul on his lightsaber.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    For those who seen the films: ROTS, Solo, Rogue One, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, Episode IX
    For those who haven't: ANH, TESB, ROTS, Solo, Rogue One, ROTJ, TFA, Episode IX

13. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Rogue One
    Followed by Episode 4 give this time to sink and a few days later The Empire Strikes Back.

Wait for a weekend get a beer or two and some popcorn get the biggest screen you can and 5.1 or even 6.1 sound and enjoy the Climax to the best trilogy ever made Return of the King.[face_laugh]

Now it is time to watch Return of the Jedi and when you get to the end.

[​IMG] :D

Things can only go downhill from there you are thinking the Ewoks are the most silly ever in Star Wars by this point trust me you have no idea.

Lordban likes this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    My recommendations for noobs is to hook them early with the easiest to watch run and then try to take some breaks in eras with phases without losing their enthusiasm.

EASY VIEWING / HOOK NOOBS

RO
    ANH

ONCE HOOKED MOVE FORWARD

TESB
    ROTJ

FOLLOWING HIGH OF OT CHECK OUT 3 OF THE MORE RESPECTED BACK STORY MOVIES THAT HELP YOU APPRECIATE WHAT YOU SAW MORE

ROTS
    KENOBI
    SOLO

MOVE AHEAD NOW & WATCH RECENT FILMS

TFA
    TLJ
    IX

THEN MOVE INTO THE NEXT PHASE AND WATCH 2 EVEN EARLIER THAN ROTS BACK WHEN ANAKIN WAS ACTUALLY A KID.

TPM
    AOTC

Also, sorry for all caps. Started for titles and then forgot. Too lazy to redo. That’s my recommendation to people who haven’t seen any because I want them to fall in love with it all first and get through as many as they can.

For me I would set them up in sequential order:

TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    KENOBI
    SOLO
    RO
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    LUKE TEMPLE MOVIE
    TFA
    TLJ
    IX

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    After seeing Solo, I still think chronological order can work well for new viewers. Counting down the days until I can show my son all the movies and shows. Probably at least 3 years yet though.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  16. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    :vader:
    First-time viewer:
    1. Original Trilogy
    2. Prequel Trilogy
    3. Solo / Rogue One

:yoda:
    Future viewings:
    1. Prequel Trilogy
    2. Solo / Rogue One
    3. Original Trilogy
    4. The Force Awakens
    ...And pretend TLJ doesn't exist unless Episode 9 is good! :p

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  17. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I've never just sat through all the movies and watched them in order. I should have gone and done this when they were in theater b4 episode 7. Did anyone's local theater do this before eoisode 8

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My viewing order:

SW
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    TFA
    R1
    TLJ
    S

By release date.

19. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    RO (stands out very well on its own and is, after all, leading into ANH directly)
    ANH (start of the Star Wars saga proper)
    ESB (preserve the OT "I am your father" reveal)
    ROTS (let's flashback and see how things got this bad)
    ROTJ (this is how the Star Wars saga ends)

Everything else that's out so far can be viewed after that in no particular order, it's the expanded universe of the Star Wars saga ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    I don't think I would try to watch them all in order now. To me they're too disparate to really work as a unified block now.

Solo, R1, the OT and TFA work as a unit.
    The PT works ok as another unit.
    Although I admire TLJ it's really almost the start of a totally different story.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think for Episode IX I'm going to do the "Machete Order," but I'll probably end up just going chronological like I always do. Whether it's canon or not, The Star Wars Holiday Special gets a viewing no matter what. I consider it Episode 4.5, but that's me just being goofy. I do think the holiday season being sort of "Star Wars" themed these days influenced my decision.

Watma Rysou likes this.
  22. Maul Clone

Maul Clone Jedi Grand Master

Mar 26, 2000
    RO, ANH, ESB, ROTS, ROTJ. That's the core SW story IMO. And they are all good enough to keep your attention span. Watch the rest when you are bored.

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Saga films in order, non-saga films separate, even though R1 doesn't fully work in isolation, as it inherently exists as a direct prequel to ANH, and relies on your knowledge of that film to work.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    RO absolutely works fine on its own, without knowledge of ANH. I know this because I know a number of people who have no knowledge of ANH who saw RO and fully understood and appreciated it as a standalone film...

As fans, it's hard for us to understand that RO can be appreciated without ANH. But it's true. The narrative is perfectly self-contained.

mirrorbright likes this.
  25. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not sure how well RO works as the first Star Wars movie someone would experience. It doesn't really introduce the galaxy very well. It just kind of assumes you know who Darth Vader, Mon Mothma, and Bail Organa are. Same thing with the Leia bit at the end. Obviously the plot pays off well going into ANH, but otherwise nothing actually introduced in RO pays off ever again, really. Everybody just dies. That can be disorienting when you get attached to the concept of Star Wars itself as being RO and then you immediately have to accept a whole new cast and plot focus.

For new viewers, I would generally suggest release order. Its simplest. However, I would also keep in mind that probably many of us just kind of fell into Star Wars. Maybe we saw them in their original theatrical releases, but I'm sure plenty of people were first exposed to the movies out of order or maybe they never really watched it until they caught TCW (or maybe they group up on TCW), etc.

As for people who have seen the movies before, whatever floats your boat. I'll generally stick with chronological for myself, though.