main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    For me it would be: 4,5,6,1,2,3,R1,7. I hate to say it but after Rogue One I just can't watch the prequels anymore, especially 1. However, for the uninitiated, the importance given to Bail's entrance in R1 would lose its meaning without 2 and 3 to tell us who he is and his place in the scheme of things.

I think R1 is a good way to close out the pre-7 saga films and then move forward with the saga continuation with 7.

Sarge likes this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If I were showing someone the series for the first time: release order for the Saga films, and then show them the standalone movies after.

For my own personal marathons, I think Rogue One has convinced me to forgo release order and adopt linear chronological order. It'll make things simpler while also maximizing the amount of Star Wars I watch in a limited window of time.

TX-20 and JoshieHewls like this.
  3. JediDrunk

JediDrunk Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    RO-ANH-ESB-ROTJ-TFA

If you have never seen any of the films Darth Vader's introduction to the series is more powerful this way IMO. You also get a weird religious introduction to the force via Chirrut.

Think about it, you get an entire film that makes it seems like Jyn is going to be the hero of the franchise only to have the Empire kill all the heroes with a menacing Darth Vader doing epic stuff in a single scene at the end of the movie..

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I'll just ignore the (overall) mediocre Prequel Trilogy and here is my suggested Star Wars viewing order then... Rogue One MUST always be watched before A New Hope because of the way the ending of the latter blends into the opening scenes of the former, so seamlessly!

Rogue One -> A New Hope -> Empire Strikes Back -> Return of The Jedi -> TFA

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I, II, III, R1, ANH, ESB, ROTJ

6. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    For a first timer? Order in which they are made. Always.

For a repeat viewing? A bit tougher, but I'll go with the easy chronological answer.

7. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Last twenty minutes of TPM
    Battle of Geonosis
    The clone wars
    ROTS but skip anakin padme scenes
    Read last padawan and a new dawn
    Rebels
    Rogue one
    A new hope
    Comics
    Empire strikes back
    Return of the Jedi
    Aftermath
    TFA
    Books are dictated by what I have available

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    TCW movie and TV
    Rebels

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    After Rogue One, the best viewing order is this:

A New Hope

Darth__Lobot and MS1 like this.
  10. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    RO, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA

Avnar likes this.
  11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    At this point in time I have RO, ANH, ESB, ROTJ then TFA.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    ROTS, RO, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA.

13. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Rogue One is OK to watch, even first. After that:

1. Star Wars
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi

The end.

Aperture Science likes this.
  14. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS, RO.

Skip the rest, life is too short to sped it on bad movies.

darkspine10 likes this.
  15. DarthAlgar

DarthAlgar Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    Even with Rogue One feeling like the first half of the story I still think ANH is the best entry point for new viewers. I'll definitely include RO in chronological order for my own marathons, but to me nothing can beat ANH as the introduction to Star Wars. That opening, Obi-Wan's explanation of the Force and the Jedi, following Luke from farm boy to Rebel hero. Those are the first steps into a larger world.

Sarge and Kuestmaster like this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I like all of those elements as the new hope though following the tragedies of Rogue One. I think somebody new would see Rogue One and it would give them an idea of the struggle people are facing on the ground because of this oppressive regime and what they're willing to go through to fight back. You'd be happy with the Rogue One mission's success but absolutely terrified by the power of this weapon that isn't even yet at full power. The villains also have a dark wizard of some kind who seems incredibly powerful and terrifying. The action then continues right into ANH and we see the stakes raised even higher. By now you absolutely loathe the villains, are truly worried about this captured princess, and wondering who in the Galaxy can possibly stop this man known as Vader. You've seen some cool Force connection work from Chirrut but nothing involving sabers or Jedi training from the start involving protagonists. Enter Luke Skywalker. Enter Obiwan. Suddenly, as a viewer, you have a little more hope. You already want to see the Empire fall but as an added bonus you beleive this Vader character also betrayed and murdered the innocent farm boy's father. Luke and Obi-Wan's lack of grey and inheritent desire to do good would seem even more hopefulf following all the shades of grey in Rogue One and the bleak black of the Empire. Obi-Wan and Luke would feel like beacons unique in the world. Destined for the Jedi arts. You'd sense what's different about them in comparison to regular humans more. You would also know of this weakness in the Death Star but would begin wondering how and when Luke and this new crew will become aware and play a part in its eventual destruction.

Honestly, I think Rogue One enriches A New Hope and compliments it and respects it. I think Rogue One first and A New Hope next is very logical now and the jump in hope, optimism and perfect execution of the hero's journey folllowing Rogue One would make all aspects of A New Hope even more special and enjoyable following all the shades of grey and the loss of life in Rogue One.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    What about Rogue One as a prelude, before flashing all the way back to Ep1-7. Could be cool to meet fully developed Vader and Death Star as well as an introduction to the force, before seeing the origin story and then the events that follow R1.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  18. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    1-2
    TCW
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    4-7

MissJo likes this.
  19. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I was originally going to leave RO out of a saga viewing, but after seeing it I feel like it has to be included. So, I'll be doing a linear chronological viewing. I, II, III, RO, IV, V, VI, VII.

20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm thinking something like:
    ANH
    R1
    ESB
    Prequels (optional or possibly just ROTS)
    ROTJ
    TFA

but that could get pretty convoluted with the time jumping....

I like the idea of ANH-R1-ESB though as ANH feels better as a 'first film' then watch R1 for backstory while increasing the fear of Vader before the ESB showdown

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think that it just has to be accepted that the Vader father revelation is just not going to be preserved for future viewers.

If I were showing Star Wars to my children (if I have them and when they're old enough) I think I would probably do this:

TPM
    AOTC
    Selected Clone Wars arcs
    ROTS
    Selected Rebels episodes
    Rogue One
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TFA

22. Cain909

Cain909 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2016
    For a new to Stars Wars person in 2016.. I think the best chance to hook them would be 7... Then 4,5,6... Then Rogue One... And if they are then hooked, and only then, 1,2,3....

23. bean bunny

bean bunny Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2016
    WHAT ABOUT THIS ORDER? WATCH 1,2,3,LISTEN TO THE AUDIOBOOK OF ROGUE ONE CATALYST,WATCH ROGUE ONE,4,5,6,7

24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I am now definitely going to be putting Rogue One before my viewing of ANH from now on. Rogue One puts ANH in a whole new perspective for me.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  25. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    For any first-time viewer I think they all still need to be watched in the order they were released. This way all surprises and nods to the other movies work the best. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, R1

Then then upon second viewing they should be watched in chronological order. 1, 2, 3, R, 4, 5, 6, 7