main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Agree with the viewing order you've proposed for your cousin. While the revelation in ESB would be spoiled, I doubt your cousin would mind.

2. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    Up to you obviously, but I don't believe release order is necessarily confusing for six-year-olds. I think that can be explained to most kids of that age or indeed younger. Any temporary confusion is not necessarily great enough to negate the advantages of release order.

Interestingly at 1:45-1:55, Gareth Edwards says that if he had kids he'd show them ANH first.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think I'll stick with my usual order of TPM, AOTC, ROTS, with the OT as optional for when I'm feeling like watching the whole Saga.

Rogue One might be a nice standalone, but I don't think I'd want to watch it in sequence with the saga. I probably won't watch TFA again, but if VIII and IX are good I might add them to the OT part of my viewings.

TCW and Rebels I also only watch on their own, separate from saga viewings.

Jonipoon and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  4. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    III, RO, IV, V, VI, VII (VIII and IX as and when they become available).

I have nothing against TPM, but watching that would necessitate watching AOTC as well, and that film makes me mentally ill with its badness. So the above is what i'd probably go for. I'll consider the Solo movie (and any others) as and when i see 'em.

Satipo likes this.
  5. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    1,2,3,rogue one,4,5,6,7

ConservativeJedi321 and themoth like this.
  6. First Order TIE Pilot

First Order TIE Pilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2017
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens

After the the indoctrination process, watch in chronological order from Ep. I-VII, with Rogue One in-between Ep. III & IV.

7. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the best way to watch the saga would be something like this:

ANH: The "OG". Introduction to the star wars universe all the classic characters and scenes. This movie needs to be watched first.

R01: Prequel of Episode 4 or episode 3.9. Awesome film shows more of the star wars universe, gives more mystic to the force without going into detail. Shows the Rebels are not this perfect group.

ANH again!!!!": The stories of R01 and ANH are beautiful watching together.

TESB: Best film of the saga and maybe best film of all time. See the force being used in a bigger way. Still love the revelation of Vader being Luke's father. First time we see the Emperor via hologram. And of course Yoda!!

First third of ROTJ. Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister. U find out what happens to Han. Jabba scenes are awesome. Then death of Yoda, last time Luke talks to Obi wan and he finds out about his sister. Also get to see more of the mysterious Emperor.

TPM: Prequels watched machete style or "Godfather II flashback" style

AOTC

ROTS

Last two acts of the ROTJ: The end of the original saga! Watching it this way gives way more meaning when Vader turns good.

TFA

Here is the order again.

ANH
    R01
    ANH again
    TESB
    First third of ROTJ. Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    Last two acts of the ROTJ
    TFA

8. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TFA
    ROTS
    R1

9. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I have finally decided what I consider R1 to be. It is a feature length prologue for ANH. The reason I call it a prologue instead of a prequel is because the 2nd half of the movie is completely detailed in the crawl for ANH (Star Wars uses a crawl in lieu of a prologue scene). Also by calling it a prologue it becomes part of ANH almost like what they have done with Deathly Hallows or Mockingjay. It is one story about destroying the death star divided into 2 parts.

This solidifies R1 always being watch prior to ANH for now on. The only time I would not do with is with someone who is truly new to the series and does not know any of the plot spoilers (I am your father, etc) in that case either would recomend release order or machete order w/ R1 being watched after ROTS but before you jump back to ROTJ.

astinus4 likes this.
  10. DaffyTheWizard

DaffyTheWizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    I don't I guess just start with episode 1-3, then Rouge One, and then episodes 4-7. I know for me Episode One was my first Star Wars movie and I didn't see the original ones until after I saw Episode Three, for me seeing them in order was just fine. But I know if I'm going to watch them in order I'm putting Rogue One before A New Hope.

StampidHD280pro and Torib like this.
  11. weirdkerr

weirdkerr Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2017
    Following watching Rogue one at the Cinema I watched A New Hope followed a few days later by Empire(as a tribute)now I'm thinking I will give a variation of Machete order a go and watch the prequels follows by ROTJ over the coming months before watching TFA and VIII (whatever it's called)

12. BMO

BMO Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2016
    In my opinion, you can't leave out the TV series. They have their many merits (and weaknesses), and especially if you're introducing them to newer kids, they can't be left out. However, the magic of star wars was easily the first movies that started it all. Here's how I would place them.

then
    Clone Wars
    Rebels (not a must, but will have numerous crossovers when it ends apparently)
    R1
    (5,6)

The new Han Solo movie might mess up this order again but definitely start with the first 3 then branch off.

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  13. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I think release order is still the best way to watch the Saga films, so I'll be going with that. I don't really feel that Rogue One fits in with the Saga (which is why it's not a Saga film [face_thinking]). By watching in release order you don't get a jarring ageing in effects going from Ep III to SW, but most importantly the characters are best in this order, as the information about them accumulates by realise. The best twists and whatnot are also preserved in this order. Rogue One doesn't quite sit on the Saga spectrum, as none of the major characters will likely be seen again in a future film release (maybe? You never know) and so it doesn't have the same flow with the Saga films as there is no flow over in characters.

I's watch Saga films in release order then the Anthology films in release order or no particular order. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7 etc then Anthology. I also probably wouldn't include the TV series and TCW film and would have them separately.

14. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm a firm believer in watching films in order of release, not the order of the timeline, whether it's Star Wars, LOTR / The Hobbit, James Bond, Batman, X-Men or the MCU. Same goes for books in a series. I like Prequels, but I think they actually work better when read later.

PymParticles , Sarge, Nate787 and 2 others like this.
  15. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    By release date. This is how I introduced my children to SW and there was never any confusion. That said, I'm intrigued with the machete order- never done that myself, but will one day. I think RO should be viewed after ANH- purely for that fact I think it gives the last 5 minutes of RO more of an impact- I cannot imagine ever tiring of those final moments....and, TBH I may not have felt the same from seeing RO before IV-VI (and to an extent the prequels, which while I'm not a huge fan of, recognise their place in the SW story).

Sarge likes this.
  16. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    The only way to watch it is the storyline chronological order:

The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    The Clone Wars
    Revenge of the Sith
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens

OldTimeFan and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  17. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    I'm going with release order. (Although, I could easily put 7,8,9 before Rogue One).

18. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    The Clone Wars and Rebels not a chance.
    Darth Maul died in TPM cannon be dammed.

Apart from that I agree with your list.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Generally I think release order is the best.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    For someone who has not seen any of the star wars movies, i would show them 4,5,6 then go to 1,2,3,RO, and then go to 7. For myself i will just watch it chronologically.

21. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i will now watch them in chronological order

22. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    For someone new, release order (starting with the unaltered OT) is always better and the movies are cleary designed to be watched that way. Every one has some call-back, cameo, "inside" joke and reveal that only works when watching them in release order and RO is a prime example. Chronological order ruins all of those without offering much in return. Prequels are meant/designed to be sequels that tell a backstory, otherwise they would have told the prequel story first and in a much different way.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    This would be my suggestion to a newbie:

Firstly, watch the original trilogy IV-VI to get settled.

Then, watch I, II and III followed by Rogue One and then IV-VI again.

Lastly, watch TFA.

24. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    All due respect, but why would you watch IV-VI and then immediately watch them again after I, II and III? I would get tired if I watch it twice in such a short span of time.

25. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, alternatively, you could watch the original versions of IV, V and VI during the first round and the specialized versions during the second. :p

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.