main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Nah, I'm the same. My brother, roommate and I are planning a Saga marathon in the fall to build up to The Last Jedi. We'll either watch the seven Episodes in release order or episodic order, depending on what everyone votes on, but we've unanimously decided to exclude Rogue One. We all love the film, but as it's intentionally set outside of the Saga (even if it links up with the beginning of A New Hope nearly seamlessly), and thus free of both its structure and traditions, we feel it's best watched that way; in the context of the Saga, but separate from it.

2. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I still say the movies should be watched in the order of their release. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, R0

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting way to look at it. Me personally, because of how closely it ties with the original movie, think it belongs in the Saga. At any rate, I have seen the original movies without it in place and the series felt very incomplete without it. I could see why someone would prefer to see it alone though, I kinda feel that way about the Clone Wars movie.

4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I say the first time you really should watch the films in release order. After that, chronological order is enticing. I just think release order is the best for the first time around because of cultural context.

5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Release order is a must for a first time viewer.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nah.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Why not?

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll quote my first post in this thread:
    Now, I'm not saying one has to introduce people through chronological order, I'm just saying that it works very well too.

darkspine10 likes this.
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Anakin turning to the dark side isn't set up as a twist though, but everyone knows Vader is Luke's father these days anyways so fair enough. Showing it chronologically could mess up their view of Vader though (no prequel hate). When my sister first saw the end of ROTJ she felt sorry for Vader. When I showed her all movies chronologically she just straight up did not like Anakin at all and thought he was a creepy stalker.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A friend of mine decided to find out what this Star Wars thing was all about and she watched them chronologically. She felt that the prequels were referencing things she hadn't seen, and wished she had watched release order instead.

11-4D likes this.
  11. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The central drama of Rogue One though is I think much more self supporting, the PT depends on knowing the rise of the Empire and Vader are significant.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not really, I see it as the other way round, the Empire and Vader gain more significance in the OT from the PT. There's nothing in the PT that really requires anything from the OT.

fastcooljosh likes this.
  13. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    On the other hand, a lot of newbies are more acclimated to the prequels by having grown up with the Clone Wars cartoon. You also get people introduced through TFA, for whom all the previous movies are like backstory to that film.

I guess I'm not sure if the originals are automatically the best starting point anymore.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I believe it needs to be, RO, IV,V,VI, TFA. Then start over. I enjoy the prequels, but after the depth RO brought to ANH and the rest of the OT, I don't feel the prequels have much of a place in the GFFA anymore. As someone posted earlier in this thread, the prequels are kind of like reference material in case you want to go back and check something.

15. Obi-wan KeNOObi

Obi-wan KeNOObi Jedi Knight

Apr 25, 2017
    I can not believe how much I laughed at this. The sad truth is that nowadays that is the common standard with newer SW fans who have only seen those two movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Grievous: Anakin Skywalker. I expected someone with your reputation to be a little... older.

Anakin Skywalker: General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected.

General Grievous: Jedi scum!

Obi-Wan Kenobi: We have a job to do, Anakin. Try not to upset him.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That can kind of be said no matter how you approach it, though. For example, starting with Episode 4 (which in itself seems odd now that 1 through 3 exist) means you have no reference for things like the Force, the Clone Wars, what really happened to Luke's father, etc. You just have to be open to finding some things out as you go... in the case of starting with ANH, we don't know any more than Luke does. If you'd seen the PT first you'd know about those things already... so both ways have their pluses and minuses. But I do think the only really big point that kind of gets ruined by chronological order is the TESB father reveal, and otherwise I generally prefer to see large stories in chronological order.

Growing up with these movies naturally meant I saw them in release order. And that's actually how I showed them to my son, too, but not by any plan I felt determined to stick to. He wanted to start with the movies featuring Luke and Han since he knew them best from the SW books he'd be looking at then (he was three). The big plus there was that he was truly surprised by the father reveal.

Also, RO followed by ANH is so great that I feel I have to update my preferred order:

I II III RO IV RO IV RO IV RO IV V VI VII :p

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I get that, but for me, marathons often suffer from formula fatigue. A few films in, and the basic SW formula can start wearing out it's welcome. Throwing RO into the mix provides a nice stylistic respite before returning to the saga style. Add to that the sheer beauty of its transition to ANH, and I think you really should include it.

Frank T. and EHT like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ROTS into RO into ANH in one sitting has proven to be life-changing in its splendor. They are probably the 3 most differing approaches to filmmaking in the entire saga but it somehow worked. I don't know if I have the fortitude... or time... to endeavor 8 films in a row but those 3 have proven to compliment each other in unforeseen ways.

19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. It's a revelation, and has given me a fresh look at ROTS. Cut out the Grievous bits and it could be my favorite stretch of Star Wars.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with all of that.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We've definitely considered it, and I get what you're saying about formula fatigue, but it still feels... I don't know, proper? To me, at least. I think of the Saga as a whole piece, made up of three trilogies, with each of the nine films all serving a role in building that whole while also functioning as full pieces on their own. Rogue One, on the other hand, is something that exists in the context of the Saga's story but is also set outside of it, and (for me, at least) is something that's best watched separate from it. I feel this allows the core narrative of the Skywalker Saga (to use Lucasfilm's recent term) to shine through and build most clearly, while also allowing Rogue One's unique attributes to exist on their own terms. Also, the three of us have since agreed release order is our preferred way to watch the Saga (unanimous consensus that the movies build on each other most organically in nearly every respect that way), and Rogue One doesn't really cleanly fit in anywhere there, especially not at the end as it would be ideal to finish with The Force Awaken's cliffhanger since we're building up to The Last Jedi.

Again, it has nothing to do with the quality of Rogue One or whether or not I like it; I love it. It's just my personal stance on its place, or lack thereof, in the structure of the Saga as a singular piece comprised of many parts that have an underlying consistency in various respects, and wanting the standalone films to, well, stand alone. If it's any consolation, I'm going to be the same way with the Han Solo film, which I have a sneaking suspicion might end up being my favorite the way Rogue One is yours :)

So yeah, my order would be:

Saga
    IV: A New Hope
    V: The Empire Strikes Back
    VI: Return of the Jedi
    I: The Phantom Menace
    II: Attack of the Clones
    III: Revenge of the Sith
    VII: The Force Awakens
    VIII: The Last Jedi
    IX: Colin Trevorrow Please Don't **** This Up

Star Wars Stories (No order, watched individually)
    Rogue One
    Han Solo's Big Adventure
    Boba Fett's Birthday Bash
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is Never Getting a Movie
    Jar Jar Binks: The Biggest Bombad General

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll have a marathon with my friends before TLJ, but since everyone has work, and families other almost-as-important-as-Star-Wars things going and therefore can't spend entire days in front of the TV, we'll spread it out over several days, like this:

Day 1
    -The Phantom Menace
    -Attack of the Clones
    -The Clone Wars (movie)

Day 2
    -Revenge of the Sith
    -Rogue One
    -A New Hope

Day 3
    -The Empire Strikes Back
    -Return of the Jedi
    -The Force Awakens

Day 4
    -The Last Jedi

I think this will make for an epic few days :)

23. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I think you need to split this between people who have never seen the films and hose who've seen them over and over again.

First time viewers must watch OT first to feel full impact of Vaders reveal: 4,5,6,RO,1,2,3,7

For regular viewers and avid fans: 1,2,3,RO,4,5,6,7

Frank T. likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If I ever receive visitors from Mars, I'll introduce them to the saga in release order since there is probably not a cognizant person left on earth who does not know Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's pop.

25. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    I think that anthology films that fill in story gaps will interfere with the running order, while movies that zero in on specific characters will be standalone and watched after the main saga, they will be almost like timeless bytes, while RO will feel out of place anywhere besides being chronological.

To us old-skoolers who grew up with only the OT, the Vader/father twist was outstanding, but to the millennial generation who grew up with the PT and watched it first, they had no idea that Palpatine was Sideous and that revelation was as big a shock to them as the Vader is Luke's father scene was to us, so it's swings and roundabouts. That seems comparatively underwhelming to US, but it's the same huge shock to them, so there is a perfectly fine case to be argued for chronological viewing, it is just as fulfilling and thrilling.

StampidHD280pro likes this.