main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After ROTJ and Before Episode 7

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ubraniff Zalkaz, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Also leave out the blue skin and the art analysis. The blue skin looks looks silly and the art analysis doesn't make sense.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Aha so pink and polka dotted skin then?

Revanfan1 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  3. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I'll bet they'll easily be able to do a spin off within this time frame, based on backstories of the new characters we'll get in EP7.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The end of ROTJ is just the beginning.

mes520, Redimet, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    A Game of Thrawns. [face_rofl]

But seriously...I think it might be hard to launch a series right after Episode VII. It might need to wait until after IX, just in case it contradicts major plot points in the upcoming movies. If it doesn't deal with major plot points....then why am I watching it? That's my main problem with EU stories.

6. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The question is whether they want to cash in quickly by featuring the big 3 or take the long term route of developing new characters and organizations. A lot of interest could be easily generated by featuring Luke, Leia, and Han in the years after ROTJ. A big problem is that it will have the effect of narrowing the focus of the franchise. Sure, of course there will be a lot of projects going on, but anything focusing on the big 3 will suck up a lot of attention. There would be a lot of pressure on that one series to carry the profits and reputation of the whole franchise outside the movies.

My preference would be for them to do what they are already doing with Rebels. They are investing in new characters while focusing on a subject SW fans are interested in (the birth of the rebellion). The show will have a pretty wide berth to do what it wants to do without limiting what others can do with the canon. It also creates characters that may have long lifespans and spawn a lot of other media. Disney will always be able to sell Leia and Luke toys, but if Sabine Wren suddenly becomes a huge deal a whole new line of merchandise will open up.

In my opinion the best thing for the post-OT era would be for Disney to focus on the OT and Dark Times era's first. This way there will be a larger number of established characters that can influence the events after ROTJ. It would be an opportunity for the whole saga to be deeply connected, with each era containing stories that encourage people to learn what happened before and after.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    =D=

That's the right attitude. I agree 100%.

8. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Hmm... but to me the fact that he was an alien reaching a high Imperial rank was one of the most intriguing things about his character. Plus the blue skin & red eyes really stood out against his white uniform. What if his skin was less comically royal blue, & more pale? & his eyes would only glow when he was angry. Yeah, I could do without the salamanders & art fetish.

9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, I'd hope for a complete redesign personally. The white uniform was ridiculous, and I'm sure they can do better than evil smurf.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For as long as I've been a fan, ROTJ has never been the end for me. Thank you EU. There is just so many stories possible. Also the Jedi Order and Republic have to be rebuilt. So ROTJ is an incomplete ending imo.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    ^:)^

Dra--- likes this.
  12. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Smurf off! [face_dancing]

Dra--- likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    who wears the rouge?

14. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Rouge 5.

TheManFromMortis and CairnsTony like this.
  15. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

The most FABULOUS pilots in the Alliance.

Also, the chicks.

DarthIshyZ and Dra--- like this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I actually thought the new animated series was going to fill this time period. And although Rebels looks good, I would've much preferred it had in all honesty. But 30 years is a huuuuge time period in terms of filling an untold 'gap' in a continuing saga. So, so much can happen in 30 years in terms of the prominent characters story arcs in such a story. From what we now know as being actual 'canon', it could be absolutely anything? And that I find very intriguing..

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sure, but they need to keep this space open for now to maintain mystery about what E7 might contain.

Redimet and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep you're right. But considering it's such a big time period, there's an awful lot of story to tell isn't there? Way more than than just over a year of animated episodes can cover. By the time VII is ready to hit the theatres, you'd barely be into a quarter of the potential filler needed to plug that gap. The potential story of VII would still be a complete mystery..

Revanfan1, Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, maybe. I don't know. It really depends on what happens during the 30 year gap. And then you also have the issue of audience inference and expectation. For example, say you do a show that directly follows ROTJ and covers a 3 year period. Whatever happens there would raise the audience's expectation that they're being given a clue about what might happen in E7 or the ST, instead of thinking about the end of ROTJ, which I think they probably want us to be thinking about. And a show 5 or 10 years later would create similar problems. If Luke begins building a Jedi Order, then the mystery of whether or not there's a Jedi Order in the ST will be destroyed.

And they probably also want to finish the ST before deciding what's best to fill up this 30 year gap. That way maintaining continuity will be easier, and the ST can actually refer to interesting events in the gap. You know, how ANH talked about Clone Wars and later we had the show?

I think it's much better that they focus on the pre-ANH OT period like they are with Rebels. Since there's more distance there between the ST and Rebels, they can perhaps foreshadow some possibilities without spoiling any of the mysteries of the ST (Jedi Order? Luke married? Luke had a child? Empire destroyed or not? Sith?).

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't know. Take an average persons life and their experiences over a 3 decade period. There is absolutely no way what happens to them as they hit 20 will still be prevalent and pertinent to them as they reach 50. They're basically different people. Except offcourse if children enter the equation early? But there's no guarantee that will be the case with this. For example, a few episodes beyond the end of ROTJ, Luke disappears and remains so? The story could easily continue without him. Come VII, the timeline would be nowhere that of the series. So if Luke is still absent, nothing has been revealed regarding the fate of the Jedi.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'll bet you're right, they probably could. And assuming we get some terrific new characters, something like that could probably be really cool, too.

But when I think of telling the canon stories set between VI and VII, my first thoughts aren't about filling in back story for the new ST characters. Not at first, anyway.

No, my imagination turns towards the early post-ROTJ years and the surviving OT heroes and villains as a starting point. And then maybe, over time, as the stories work their way across those thee-plus decades towards the ST timeline, our new heroes are organically introduced to us along the way (chronologically speaking).

That's the route I'd like to see Lucasfilm consider, anyway.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's say in 1998 a novel that takes place in 60 BBY was published in which Yoda battles a Sith. Then TPM comes out and says "The Sith have been extinct for a millenium." That would be a major contradiction. A similar situation could easily occur in a story set immediately after ROTJ.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, he's actually writing a Rebels novel coming out this September.

Keep the blue skin or don't call him Thrawn. A non-Chiss Thrawn wouldn't be Thrawn at all. If you don't want blue skin, then make him someone other than Thrawn.

Odolwa and loki41872 like this.
  24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Jcuk :
    Perhaps not, but having stories that take place after RotJ would give away hints of what we'll see in the ST, while right now, we know absolutely NOTHING.. Having stories after RotJ might let us know, for example, just how big a blow the loss of the Emperor and his forces at Endor was. Maybe it wasn't as devastating as we were led to believe at the end of RotJ? It might also let us know whether Luke starts to train Jedi immediately, or if Leia and others try to set up a new government early on. Things like that.

Okay, but what kinds of stories will be told without Luke, the Jedi, and the Force??? As I've said before, stories about X-wing pilots and smugglers and space battles would get rather "old" after a while without the Jedi and Force usage. It's the Force and Jedi knights that make SW unique from other space/war stories. I know that I wouldn't be interested in reading about 25 years of SW history or seeing 25 years of SW history as a TV show that didn't involve the Force and Jedi knights. Disney would be severely limiting story-telling by making Luke, the Jedi, and Force usage unavailable for the majority of the time between the trilogies.

I'm not expecting stories that take place after RotJ until after Episode VII is over. After that, I think we'll get plenty of stories. And if Disney is smart, many of those stories will include Luke skywalker and the beginnings of the restoration of the Jedi Order. The stories wouldn't seem like SW stories if the Jedi and the Force aren't involved in most of them.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    With Porkins as the protagonist.

TheManFromMortis, Redimet and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.