main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AFTER ROTS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES - A good movie, or not?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Al_Kenobi_83, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I really see no problem with the movie.

In fact its plot is much better than TPM, ANH and yes I dare to say TESB!

It starts small scale and turns into an intergalactic war. It is a conspiracy-, a thriller-, an adventure- and a romance-movie.

Characters are as good as always. Damn, it is STAR WARS!!! Great story, paired with great charakters and great FX. I love to watch it.

2. DarthAkka

DarthAkka Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    I think from best to worst in my opinion would be

Revenge of the Sith
    Empire strikes back
    Return of the Jedi
    Attack of the clones
    The Phantom menace
    A New Hope(a classic and the one that started it all so i respect it but it really is quite boring lol)

but after ROTS return of teh jedi means so much more to me when vader dies, if you really think about it The whole saga is really about vader and not luke like the originals make it seem. It think they all go together VERY well except for teh Insest between luke and leia and how she remebers her "real" mom but lukes doesnt hmm????

3. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    I did not like AOTC at all actually.

I thought it was the worst movie. It had the worst dialogue and the worst acting I have basically ever seen in a movie. The special effects were all right but nothing huge like ANH. I liked TPM better just because of the fun factor with it. It was a fun and cool movie. AOTC was just boring and had basically no worthy plot for any SW movie. The dialogue was horrible ("This is such a drag") and the acting was terrible (Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme). TPM was more fun because of the newness of it and because of Jar Jar (Much as I dislike him I can stand him over AOTC dialogue). The major downfall with TPM was that it was too childlike (Anakin and Jar Jar). I admit it was a bad movie but nothing as bad as TPM and it actually had a great final duel whereas AOTC had a crappy final duel (Obi/Anakin/Yoda vs. Dooku). I absolutely did not like the Yoda duel in that movie. It was really stupid. C-3PO's dialogue in AOTC almost made me want to throw up. It was horrible. So was Obi-Wan's though. I think the only parts I actually liked in AOTC was the duel between Jango and Obi-Wan and Dex's Diner. Otherwise the movie was completely un Star Wars. TPM actually had new and inovative characters and a solid storyline whereas AOTC did not. Qui-Gon in TPM alone acted better than all of the cast of AOTC combined. Ewan acted better in TPM then in AOTC. As a padawan he was better because he was still learning with Liam but in AOTC he was unfit to be a master to Anakin. There was a clear villian in TPM (Darth Maul, although he wasn't the best at stalking). In AOTC we had no idea who the villian was, save for Jango but he clearly wasn't a main villian. Also Padme's accusation of Dooku when she was talking to Yoda, Mace, and Palpatine was disgraceful. How and why would she just go off and accuse Count Dooku? It was stupid. I could go on and on but I feel I got my point across already.

~JH505~

4. JekPorkins1977

JekPorkins1977 Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    not enough lightsaber battles but better then the critics/jerks say AotC TPM and ROTS they are just as good if not better then the OT

5. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Also Padme's accusation of Dooku when she was talking to Yoda, Mace, and Palpatine was disgraceful

Yeah, accussing the leader of a movement that is completely against the Republic, of possibly trying to kill a highly respected Senator in the Republic is extremely disgraceful. :rolleyes:

6. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    The point is, the watchers did not know that. She just randomly mentioned Dooku when none of us knew who he was or what was going on. She goes off and just acusses someone that we know nothing about is stupid. We should have at least been told that he was a Seperatist Leader at the beginnnig before she acusses.

~JH505~

7. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    We should have at least been told that he was a Seperatist Leader at the beginnnig before she acusses.

Did you read the opening scroll or not? [face_thinking]

8. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I thought AOTC was really good. If Hayden and Portman didnt act like amatuers, it'd be very good.

Poor script and direction are to blame as well, sorry fanboys

9. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    ^ What he said. I like most of the movie, but I hit the Fast-Forward button during the Naboo(hoo) scenes. Oh, and that "you`re my hero Ani" kiss during the arena fight...you know, when Padme lands pefectly on the back of the Reek - CHEEZE PUFF!

10. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Funny, DarthAkka

I just need to switch TESB with ROTJ in your list and I agree completely.

ANH is a little slow and has not the scale of the other movies (I really hope they add some scenes like the dissolvation of the senate, or Yoda on Dagobah), the plot is pretty much straight forward. That beeing said. It is still a classic, but nevertheless it is last on my list.

11. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Attack of the Clones is a great movie and very much underrated.

I consider it my fav. Star Wars movie probably because it has so much variation. There are plenty of stories told in AOTC:
    - Political Story: separatists vs. Republic
    - Palpatine's further rise to power
    - Love story: Anakin & Padme
    - Personal story: Anakin & his mother, Anakin & Obi-Wan's relationship
    - "Religious" story: Jedi vs. "the hidden" Sith, Qui-Gon's reappearance
    - Mysterious story: The Kamino mysteries, Who's Count Dooku

And in many of the scenes, these stories are interwoven:
    ex. Anakin talking about politics (dictatorship) in a "love story" scene...

At the end of the movie, each story comes together in Geonosis, which leads to a nice climax. I hardly skip a scene when I view AOTC, because it keeps interesting me time after time. So far, it's the only Star Wars movie in which I don't skip scenes.

ROTS made AOTC even better. During my ROTS viewing, I wanted to go back to the mood of some AOTC scenes. Especially Padme saying "Hold me, like you did on Naboo, when there were no politics, just our love... (or something like that)". In my mind, I immediately went back to the picnic scene, to their first kiss on Naboo... even Anakin's ride on that Shaak and their roll in the grass are much more powerful than they were before. I really understood Padme's nostalgia. It made me wonder how everthing would've been if Anakin didn't turn to the dark side.

I'm really glad I like AOTC and I learned to appreciate the movie the way it is. It's a great addition to the Star Wars saga. It really is the "key" to the saga, as said during that DVD-release spot. :)

12. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    AOTC is vital.... you can't go from TPM and a cute little pod racer boy to a full fledged Jedi Knight that is 2 minutes away from joining the darkside.... Anyone that thinks AOTC is important to the story...well they say that after saying seeing AOTC however. It's very very very necessary, especially to the Anakin character. It shows how the character turns from a little boy with some talent but no training to arguably the greatest of the Jedi.... You can't just have a little boy and then the greatest of the Jedi... it doesn't work and doesn't do any justice to the Anakin character or to the complicated relationship that develops between Anakin and Obi-Wan... Obi-Wan has his teacher, his master, the one who trained him from a boy....this was a main point in the OT, and not something you would get just from watching TPM (in which Obi-Wan and Anakin just meet and don't really share any moments or screen time) or the couple lines in ROTS where Obi says "I trained you from a little boy....." etc.... the dynamic between Obi-Wan the master and Anakin the Padawan is essential and remains as a theme all the way through ROTJ. All of that is in AOTC, and you need to see it.....the part about his mother was soo incredibly important to the reason that he fell to the Dark side.....

... I also think that the moment when Mace showed up and put the light saber to Jango's neck and said this party is over and all of a sudden hundreds of lightsabers ignite all throughout the crowd....for me, that was the best movie going moment of my life and it still remains that way...it hasn't been topped, for me.
    I'm not saying it was my favorite episode, because it isn't, but it is soo soo necessary to the greater story of Star Wars and very very important. And like I said, sitting in a theatre for the first time watching AOTC...up to this point, we had only seen 4 lightsaber battles... Obi and Vader in ANH which is easily forgotten when compared to Luke vader in ESB, which though emotially charged, I think is not as good as Luke Vader in Jedi... and then TPM, with arguably the greatest lightsaber fight in any of the movies.... this is all we have seen, one on one lightsaber battles (a 2 on 1 in TPM), and Jedis fighting robots....enter AOTC, hundres of lightsabers ignite and a wave of Jedi runs towards the wave of droid soldiers.... it was the greatest thing I had seen up to that point, and still is...just for the awe factor, if nothing else.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "It's very very very necessary, especially to the Anakin character. It shows how the character turns from a little boy with some talent but no training to arguably the greatest of the Jedi.... You can't just have a little boy and then the greatest of the Jedi..."

I thought this film showed how a likeable little boy with a strong connection to the force from Episode I turned into a whiny, unlikeable and unsympathetic character. Does anyone know why I should care for Anakin?

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I thought this film showed how a likeable little boy with a strong connection to the force from Episode I turned into a whiny, unlikeable and unsympathetic character. Does anyone know why I should care for Anakin?

Perhaps you should delve into exactly why Anakin?s demeanor is constantly bitter and morose throughout the course of Attack of the Clones in order to answer your question. While the transition from noble little boy to angst-ridden older Anakin isn?t blatantly spelled out in any film (something I do wish we would have seen), I don?t think it?s very hard to gleam a bit of sub-textual information that logically develops Anakin?s shifting worldview.

After all, we do know that Anakin was taken from a relatively comfortable family life as a young boy on the basis that he fit the description of something the Jedi needed. He was deprived of his mother?s love, and the void was filled with a plethora of mentors that from all intents and purposes are emotionally cold. Anakin was thrust into a life of being melded into a weapon to be wielded by bureaucracy while in his downtime he?s constantly subjected to poignant reminders that attachment is forbidden in his life. Anakin returns to his battered mother only to watch her die in his arms. This, despite Obi-Wan?s dismissive statement that ?dreams pass in time,? was a brutal affirmation that the Jedi way of life has cost him much. Finally, when Anakin does find a means of filling his emotional void in the form of a romantic relationship with Padme, again his Jedi upbringing insists that this is not something that's concurrent with the lifestyle required of him.

All of these things are proof that the freedom the Jedi offered him was merely a thinly-veiled guise for forcing him into another brand of slavery. So no, Anakin is not the altruistic, shining hero who is eternally selfless. But I find it hard to not feel sympathetic towards the character given the extenuating circumstances of a life that at best can be described as down-trodden.

15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    I partially agree with the point you`re making. I think it would have come together if the timing and derection of both HC and Nat had been a little better. Sometimes the chemistry seems to work or is at least on the verge of (IMO), but the Naboo scenes reeeeally frustrate me. It`s just too cheezy. The first kiss scene works, but then it shifts to "Teen Wars." Let`s talk about first kisses, lets roll in the grass, THEN let`s eat floating pears (tee-hee)!

Stop! Hit the breaks!

Anakin: "Padme, I`m hot for you baby. I hurt....I hurt for you...and the pain isn`t because I fell off the Shaak."

WTH? It goes from tension, to Teen Wars, to tension again. When I Fast Forward through the "TW," the serious Anakin/Padme scenes flow better when I watch it.

16. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I LOVE ATTACK OF THE CLONES IT'S GREAT

My Favourite Star Wars movies from 1 to 6

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. A New Hope
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Phantom Menace

17. GrandTheftWatto

GrandTheftWatto Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    I actually prefer AOTC to ROTS, just a little bit. Sure, the romance is corny but for me it is in proportion with the rest of the movie - any more and it becomes too annoying, and less and you have no EP3.

And I actually have MUCH more animosity for the podrace announcer than I do for Jar-Jar. He ruined what could have been one of the most iconic action sequences of the saga (on par with the DS trench).

18. Darth_Somebody

Darth_Somebody Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2004
    i would like AOTC alot better if the love scenes weren't as corny. as already stated, the first kiss scene is fine, but after that it goes rather downhill. i can believe they're in love in a corny sort of way, but c'mon, couldn't they have made it easier to watch? another problem i have is JW's score - it's still good, but too much of it was cut and pasted out of TPM. i also didn't like how the chase scene music was reused in the geonosis factory scenes; it didn't seem to fit very well to me. overall, AOTC is fun and a nice addition to the saga, but it could have been better.

19. Sweetie_Skywalker

Sweetie_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    I think The Attack Of The Clone is a Great movie!!!!I love it because I love aggressive negotiation ( Action )~!!Great!!

20. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Darth_Somebody that's not John Williams that's Ben Burtts editing.

21. TheWhiteTuxedo

TheWhiteTuxedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2004
    AOTC is the weakest Star Wars film in my eyes. I think all the right ingredients to be a great film, but it just sputters to me. The love story is one of the key elements of the story, and I'm just not gonna rip it. Too many have alreasy.

My biggest problems are

a) The acting. The dialogue is sub par too, but Hayden and Natalie are a bit wooden.

b) The editing. It's just bad. The middle of the film feels like watching a tennis match. Back and forth, back and forth.

c) The biggest problem for me is the complete lack of urgency or suspense. Okay, Anakin and Padme go to Naboo. Now she is totally safe. Well, that kills that story. Han and Leia were actually in danger in TESB. There should have been some kind of threat to Padme on Naboo, or there should have been some trouble in actually getting to Naboo. The love story would have worked better had it been forged amidst great danger. Also, the Obi-Wan subplot lacks drive. The whole middle of the film lacks drive to me. It isn't until Anakin just HAS to go save his mother and then save Obi-Wan do things heat up. and that dream sequence should NOT have been cut from the freighter. We get one mention of his dreams near the begining, and then nothing for an hour. That one scene would propelled SOME kind of suspence. It have given us SOMETHING to wonder about, instead of watching Anakin and Padme have a pleasant picnic.

22. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    why would a movie be good after the fact is a better question? if anything i find both tpm and aotc to be more pointless then they were before. rots is the only one that i find interesting

23. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i agree

24. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    To me, it's always been a good movie. Now moving right along...

25. XVIII_XV_XIII_V

XVIII_XV_XIII_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    Here's how I see it. Aotc made TPM look like a piece of crap. RotS made AotC look like a piece of crap. You guys want some pancakes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.