main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After seeing ROTS, do you still see a PT and a OT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jango10, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    After seeing ROTS, do you differentiate between the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy? Or do you see it as One Saga?

Personally, I do not divide the Saga. ROTS connects both Trilogies very nicely, it is not 2 Trilogies anymore, it is 1 Saga!

2. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    I'm a Saga person. It's just better that way. Plus, I like the PT more so I wouldn't take the OT without it now :)

3. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Agreed I find that ANH feels more like "ROTS PART II" rather than the beginning of a new saga. The two films integrate with each other almost perfectly and bring the other four films in line into a near-perfect six-film saga.

I say near-perfect as some of the shoddier 1977 FX shots are still present and are annoying at best.

4. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I think that ROTS integrates wonderfully with ANH, but I don't think it integrates at all well with AOTC and TPM. In my mind, the saga is really Episodes III-VI, and Episodes I-II are just filler so that there would be a new trilogy of films. Of course, I-II introduce characters, etc. but the heart of the story is really III-VI.

5. Bremerton

Bremerton Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Before seeing Sith, my little brother thought that Hayden in Jedi was idiotic, after seeing it he thought it made sense. To me that's an indication that combining the two into a saga was successful. I would like to see some of the FX in Hope spruced up to match the PT more, though.

6. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    I think that the sagas were combined brilliantly though I didn't really start to see how lucas was going to pull it together until ROTS. He still had a lot of plot space to match up and he did it nicely in my opinion. There is a smooth transition at the end of the movie by having it all end on tantoinne where it also begins in the first of the OT.

7. Avon-Guido

Avon-Guido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Before seeing Sith, my little brother thought that Hayden in Jedi was idiotic, after seeing it he thought it made sense. To me that's an indication that combining the two into a saga was successful. I would like to see some of the FX in Hope spruced up to match the PT more, though.

i think they should redo the lightsaber effects and look in all 3 of the OT. during the ben vs vader duel at a certain angle when ben is backing up it looks like the saber is like a blue lazer pointer.

8. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    Yeah kenobi's lightsaber kind of fades out near the end of the scene and you can see the frame underneath the blue "blade"

9. Bremerton

Bremerton Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Yeah, the lightsabers should be made to match the PT.

Another thing I don't like is how Yoda suddenly turns into a puppet in Empire. While he has too much contact with Luke to completely replace him, I would like if it were possible to see him walking like we do in Sith, and, or maybe standing up after he falls off Luke's feet. I don't know if current CG technology could do this.

Also, I don't like the absense of Star Destroyers in ANH. It seems weird that there arn't any at the battle of yavin, but they'd have to be added without adding a whole new sequence, that would be dumb.

10. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    I wondered about that as well, why GL never put more than just the Death Star at the battle of yavin... I mean think about it this was before the rebellion was huge, and they had thousands of star destroyers to use and just completely wipe out the rebellion at yavin. Now that it's already made though I dont think that they should mess with it. It's a classic and people would complain if they went in their with current CG and spiffed it up, added scenes, etc. You know what they say dont mess with a good thing.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    While watching Revenge, I had no doubt that it fit with Episode IV.

I had my doubts however on how it would fit with the original trilogy in general. Those fears were erased this weekend when I watched Hope, and Empire. The films fit together so seamlessly. They aren't even one saga--they are one movie.

It is one film.

The fact that Luke leaves Yoda to save his friends, it had so much more meaning. The return of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Jedi makes such perfect sense. Not only to protect a loved one from certain death, but also the need to protect an unarmed prisoner (the same reasoning for saving Palpatine in ROTS.)

When Vader and Luke met in the Carbon Freezing chamber, my first thought when I saw Luke was that Padme's son had come to meet his father. I didn't think of him as just Luke Skywalker. He wasn't just the farm boy. He wasn't just the guy I knew as a kid. This time he was the son of a aristocrat from Naboo, and the most powerful Jedi in history. It had such meaning, such power.

As Obi-Wan hikes through the Judland wastes, my head was filled with such nostalgia. That man had seen the fires of Mustafar, had lost a friend--a brother. It was the man who defeated Darth Maul, who had lost his mentor, the man who discovered the clones.

Boba Fett isn't just a henchman, he is an innocent boy who lost a father. A child who grew up on the lonely and inhuman planet of Kamino.

I really can't begin to explain how well it all works. How rich the saga has become, how powerful.

-Seldon

12. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    Very well put, you cant sum it up much better than that. I will have to watch the OT now and see how much differently I look at it since the saga is finally complete.

13. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    There's a few things I'd change to make it sit better visually. As a story I'm pretty accepting of it as a saga.

I'd like an HD-DVD release, all 6 episodes on 1 disc, with an option to view them as the 1 feature, ie 1 fox fanfare and 'A long time ago' intro and X years later... BOOM! Episode II, Episode III, etc and one huge set of credits at the end.

Minor changes I'd make to the originals;

IV- laser effects; especially deathstar super-laser, sabers.

Obi-Vader; up the pace and fluidity. Maybe add a shot or 2, nothing too fancy- a la ROTS Dooku perhaps,

Seriously overhaul the trench, have vader more showy in his piloting, make it more fo a battle than a few ships and 20 TIEs after tham.

V- CG existing At-sts (they look like fisher price snap-models), add more protecting the AT-ATs underside, a good few snow-speeder shots, yoda's movements and eyes- leave the essence of Oz's performance, fix Vader's saber.

VI- still amazing- laser effects, yoda again and cg v-wings- they're so bland.

All of that is pretty minor and visually would work wonders in my opinion whilst barely impacting on the films.

14. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    In terms of story, no.

In terms of style & production quality, yes.

15. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yes, and Lucas says as much. There are two different tonalities and two different stories, though it is all intertwined. It's one story, but still one story told by two different generations and two different journies.

There is a definite cycle that repeats in the OT and ROTS ends with a definitive stopping point for the narrative. The Jedi are defeated, Anakin is condemned, and armageddon has occurred.

The story begins again in ANH with a greater history added to it by the tragic story that ended in ROTS.

16. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    I have been a saga person all along, I said it was saga when I first heard Lucas making Episoes 1-3, so my view is that Star Wars is the greatest saga ever!

17. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    definitely One Saga :).

the story has been completed. now lets get that boxed set DVD :p

18. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    It's a saga, but the PT and OT still can exist on their own. It's basically a 2-part saga moreso than a 6-part one.

The first trilogy is the disintegration of the old republic, the fall of the Jedi, the prevailance of evil. There is imbalance to the force at the beginning of TPM. By the end, however, this imbalance is massive and threatening the well being of everyone in the galaxy.

And the OT is about the redemption of balance. It's about finding the right perspective, using the force for good to it's fullest potential.

The constant cycle of life from yin to yang and back...I can't think of anything more appropriate to make an epic about.

19. tigermoth

tigermoth Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2005
    I do still see a PT and an OT.

ROTS seems like the "end of an era", in a way -- the characters (all of the Jedi, Padme) die, the location totally changes (goes from Coruscant to backwater desert hicksville), and we see the few characters we're familiar with as (especially in Kenobi's case) old men. Worlds apart.

It's still a saga, of course, but it remains (at least to me) divided.

20. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I never did see it as two trilogies, but one saga. I think ROTS connected with ANH very well. It was like seeing ANH for the first time after I saw ROTS.

21. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    After AOTC, reaaly I wanted to see it as a Saga, but the "trilogies" were just so different. Plus, the incessant droning of the Bashers was kind of demoralizing, at times - kind of like watching CNN.

So, during most of the 3-year wait for ROTS, I wasn't sure GL could *actually* pull it off.

But the first trailer for ROTS really pumped me up for the final, perfect realization of the completion of the Saga, and the movie was everything I had hoped for. and more.

Long Live The Star Wars Saga!!!

"Yipee!" - Anakin Skywalker

22. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not sure if for first time viewers watching the movies 1-6 would work totally by itself. i've read a few things now with people watching it for the first time and when the OT starts it's a complete shift of POV from anakin to Luke. all they really care about is finding out what happens to Vader. and Vader is almost a minor character all of a sudden.

I do think that if you were to stop it at Episode III and explain that the focus shifts to Luke's POV that it could probably work. it'd be nice if/when they release the 6 set DVDs they separate the two trilogies in a way that doesn't really separate them at all. and i'm not smart enough to think of a way to do that right now.

I-III Anakin's story. IV-VI Luke's story. all six the Star Wars saga. it's pretty perfect.

23. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    Yes, i do see two trilogies, but only because the two are so different in terms of how they were made. I realise that there is an attempt to have connecting themes, and similar shots etc (even more with the special editions) but they were made many years apart so that's inevitable.

One story, one saga...but two trilogies. (um, if you get my meaning) :)

24. TK-513

TK-513 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I still see them as sagas because the OT is so much better than the PT.

25. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003

very good question

I do see the saga

but... and its a big but

the two trilogies are told so differently. the focus is different one is much more broad and has a huge feeling while the ot has a smaller, closer feeling.

that plays alot in how a I see the the big picture. with the ot there is a shift in the way the story is told.

granted ROTS made a strong effort to give us that smaller feeling. and it really did tie everything together.

I can elaborate if that made no sense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.