main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After seeing TLJ, are you as excited about seeing Ep. 9 as you were about Ep. 8 after seeing TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 24, 2017.

?

After seeing TLJ, are you as excited about seeing Ep. 9 as you were about Ep. 8 after seeing TFA?

1. I was slightly excited about TLJ, but now I'm very excited about Ep. 9

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. I was pretty excited about TLJ, but now I'm very excited about Ep. 9

15 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I was slightly excited about TLJ, but now I'm very pretty excited about Ep. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I was very excited about TLJ, and I'm equally excited about Ep. 9

50 vote(s)
    23.6%
  5. I was pretty excited about TLJ, and I'm equally excited about Ep. 9

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. I was slightly excited about TLJ, and I'm equally excited about Ep. 9

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. I was very excited about TLJ, but now I'm only pretty excited about Ep. 9

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. I was pretty excited about TLJ, but now I'm only slightly excited about Ep. 9

18 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. I was very excited about TLJ, but now I'm only slightly excited about Ep. 9

38 vote(s)
    17.9%
  10. My level of excitement has fallen so much I'm not sure I even want to see Ep. 9

71 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I am one with the hype and the hype is with me.

[​IMG]

2. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I will generally look forward to a new Star Wars movie (except for Solo), so yea I'm kinda excited for IX.

However I will say that TLJ ended with less cliffhangers than I thought so I'm not as hungry for IX as I thought I would be. Not a knock on TLJ.

3. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm less excited for 9 than I was for 8. It's not because I disliked TLJ (I enjoyed it), but simply because TLJ didn't really leave me wondering much about what happens next.
    I think the other reason I'm not as excited is that SW is no longer a big event. When TFA came out, it was huge because most of us assumed SW was done, and now we were getting not just a new SW movie, but a brand new trilogy. So when I left the theater after TFA, the whole idea of new SW films was still very exciting. But now we've had a new SW movie every year for the past three years, and we're getting another one in a few months, so it's hard to work up quite as much enthusiasm.

Darth Nerdling and Jaxxon- like this.
  4. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    My hero Luke is gone.

5. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I had little excitement going into The Last Jedi. I didn't like The Force Awakens a whole lot, and I didn't have much enthusiasm.

Now, I have little interest in Episode 9. I will watch it at some point, but definitely not opening night and maybe not in theaters.

Hopefully Solo is good.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  6. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Maybe we'll see Jake again in IX

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OriForce and DarthHass like this.
  7. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    But....who could we cast as Trioculus???

And I want Doug Chiang to update the Moffship. Think of the merchandising. A shampoo bottle where you could pour liquid out of zorba the hutt's neck.

Strongbow likes this.
  8. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I was very excited for RJs take on TLJ and left disappointed. I'm very mixed about this film and don't know where to put it. Honestly, I felt some elements made it feel like the saga was finished. A lot was done that could have been held back for IX. Sadly, right now, I'm not really interested or is it because there's not much to speculate about to keep my interest going. And I am a true fan. Just because I don't have an interest at this point in IX doesn't mean Im not a Star Wars fan. Rey has to be put through the ringer to rebuild her character. Don't think kylo should be redeemed. I think there should be a time jump between this film and nine. Have the new characters separate again and regroup. Find those contacts that never showed up to help at the end. And what to do about Leia ..... and Luke.

Darth Nerdling and Ridley Solo like this.
  9. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    Jake?

10. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    I just rejoned I forget my password and I am using a different email.

Anyway I said it at the beginning in 2012 that Disney would ruin Star Wars.
    The prequels might not have been executed great but waiting for Episode 3 the excitement was off the charts for me.
    I really believe that JJ Abrams is a waste of time as regards the movies he has helemed and just like Star Trek he has now ruined Star Wars.
    Rogue One however was brilliant and it really joined up the OT and the prequels.

TFA was a mess a rehash of A New Hope with nothing original a new Death Star and New Empire in each case bigger and laimer then what came before.

I think Episode 8 tried to be original but being honest I was meh before it even came out.
    Has anybody noticed that the returns for each movie is falling 2 billion of TFA 1.1 billion for Rogue One and TLJ will struggle to get to a billion.
    I also think the Han Solo movie will flop big time.

Disney tried to get in all the casual fans with TFA and annoyed many long time fans.
    I think Rian Johnson did the best with what he was given to work with which was not a lot.

I will see episode 9 no doubt but I will be feeling meh about it.
    Even Mark Hamill said it that Disney should have used the Lucas ideas.
    If Disney thinks Abrams can turn around the rot they are the ones living in another galaxy.

guittarjedi likes this.
  11. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Just my flippant comment quoting MH and his "Didn't feel like Luke maybe it was Jake" statement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd be more excited if RJ was doing it than JJ and that is simply because I saw TFA a total of 5 times in it's entire release and I've seen TLJ 11 times in 2 weeks!

I hope JJ can pull something excellent off but as much as I enjoy his movies I can't say I've ever really been that enthused by them.

Will it be good to very good? Yes. I'm sure it will but can he close a story out that needs closing and not get LOST in his mystery box of questions with no answers?

And as much as I like TLJ it's still puts a lot of things in placeholder mode. I mean Rey and Ren do make some progress but essentially they are still in the same place they were after TFA. Yes we have that more insight into their characters and both have moved past their "masters" albeit rather too quickly as TFA was like 2 days ago.

I can't say I have been stunned by the world and galaxy building of the ST. I expected it to be mediocre at best but not this poor. I had hoped RJ would have been able to compensate for that weakness in TFA but he really didn't do anything. I don't see how IX at this stage can really do anything about it and I doubt they want to. So the ST is really depending on Lucas' originals (particularly the PT) as the base for the galaxy. That's fine as it makes them ever more important in the lore but I'd have thought they'd want to add something more to it themselves.

As it is we have to make a lot of things up ourselves with no real help or pointers from these movies but look to the Lucas' films for them. Now you might say "Well what about the books and the like?"

The books and comics where Phasma is this great villain but in the movies is a C character?

Yeah I don't think so.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  13. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    The problem with IX is what is there to talk about for the next two years to get people excited. Who are Rey's parents? Just couple of drunks. Who or what is Snoke? Who cares he's dead. Will Luke be a badass? No he will be in a deserted subway station trying to get force ghost Yoda to show him how to burn a tree. There is really no big question to be excited about. Does anyone really care about the stable boy. We could have been invested in Rey but in my opinion she is a waste. She's a nobody that is already stronger than the big bad guy (note:now there is only one real bad guy) I don't really care about the whole rebels verse the first order thing, that didn't matter in the OT why should it now. All that's left to talk about is did you like TLJ and did it make enough money.

14. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Too late. Snoke is dead, and Rey has already shown herself to be more than a match for Kylo Ren. She doesn't need a teacher.

If some secret Jedi survivor appears and trains Rey, it will feel redundant... She is more powerful than Obi-wan during the PT or than Luke during the OT, she doesn't need more power....

15. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm not even sure if I'll see the next one at this rate. Only halfway interesting character left is Kylo Ren, and I'm not sure if he's worth the price of admission.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I am more curious than excited. Curious in a "how can JJ possibly salvage this mess?" kind of way.

-NaTaLie- and Darth Nerdling like this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Lots of great points.

This is no AOTC or TESB in terms of the end of the movie. It's not "what is going to happen next?" but "This and this and this is going to happen."

Now sure we knew the kind of thing that was going to happen in ROTS but the point is that even though we did AOTC worked under the presumption that we didn't know and truthfully Lucas didn't fully know either. He started with one set of ideas (7 Battles on 7 planets) then threw those out. He got rid of Dooku and replaced him with Grievous.

Both Anakin and Luke progressed greatly in those movies personally and in AOTC the galaxy did as well.

I like Rey and Ren but it feels like the story is over for now and next time we see them would be in a new trilogy set 15-20 years later where Rey had a bunch of Jedi and the galaxy is where ROTS was with the Clone Wars.

I was never more excited for a movie than ROTS. The whole movie was just joyous from start to finish and the fans at the midnight screening were totally into it the whole movie. I was excited for TLJ and think it's excellent in so many ways but I feel nothing for the next movie. I mean sure at the time I will be excited but to regular movie high. They will have to work on their marketing beforehand to really juice this thing up.

I suggest to them to be more open and stop all this mystery nonsense. The story is more important. Of course you keep big reveals to the movie but there is no reason to not give the general parameters of said story.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Cannot wait!
    I have no conception of where the story is going and that utterly delights me. It's an entirely new experience as well, as with all of the other movies I have had ideas about what they would be about (the prequels, RO, TFA and even TLJ to a certain extent). I was mostly successful with avoiding spoilers for TLJ, I say mostly because in all fairness all the times I hungrily went looking there really weren't any leaks to be found (the big one I heard about the Achto battle with the Knights of Ren turned out to be nonsense!) and I intend to do the same with Episode 9 but will try from the beginning - perhaps the teaser, but no trailers, no pictures, no character names or bios etc. Wish me luck!

Grey Matter likes this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I don't have too high of expectations for IX..

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Mmmm... I don't think JJ has too many options...

We know the next movie will start with the First Order conquering the Galaxy, Kylo Ren hunting Rey, and the renmants of the Resistance trying to rebuild some kind of fighting force...

I don't think the Resistance will manage to do much in between movies... it would feel weird if they went from 20 people aboard the MF to a new Alliance to Restore the Republic offscreen...

Rey and the others will have a mission... rescuing Force-sensitive children, destroying some new superweapon, killing Kylo Ren... something like that.

And of course, Kylo Ren will have a grand plan of his own to crush all opposition... It will be something that will create a sense of urgency, like in all SW movies ("we have to stop Kylo Ren, or the Galaxy is damned!" sort of stuff...).

I don't think Rey will kill Kylo Ren... As I said in another thread, Kylo isn't a giant or a dragon to be killed by a valiant hero, he is a tragic, pathetic figure who will be destroyed by his own flaws... I think he needs to be betrayed by the First Order, whose members will judge him a handicap rather than an asset...

Kylo may die an unglorious death like Snoke, or redeem himself at the last minute like Vader. He may even survive and retire to live as a hermit in Tatooine or Jakku... I don't think he will ever be able to show his face without shame again, so no full redemption for him, he will get a hero's death, or a life of penance, at most...

I don't think the ST will end with a victory of Evil. This trilogy has been taking a too much form the goodies... if the baddies win, it will feel like a gang of neo-nazis assaulting a group of harmless elderly people and beating them with baseball bats and iron bars for six hours, until turning them to bloody paste... Not epic, just horrible and sad.

We won't see a new New Republic or a new New Jedi Order, but the heroes will announce that they will try to create them in end... I think a part of the FO may have a change of heart and make peace with the Galaxy this time... most of them are brainwashed children raised as soldiers, it would feel too harsh to destroy them all...

21. DAVIDUGLY

DAVIDUGLY Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2015
    Loved last jedi so much, perfect Star Wars movie for me, and now super excited for 9. Bravo Rian!

22. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm less excited now than I was after TFA, but not because of any issue with TLJ. There's a lot to take in and think about in the latter, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, and I don't get into a lot of speculation anyway. I'm sure that my excitement will pick up when we're closer to IX. In the next half-year, there's the conclusion of Rebels, the home release of TLJ, and the theatrical release of Solo.[face_dancing]

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  23. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    I don't think my enthusiasm will ever wane for the Star Wars films. Like others have said here, though, the fever starts to build when the teaser trailer shows, and then it's a few months of waiting until I get to that theater seat and the opening scrawl appears on-screen...

My life's so busy with fun and work that I feel I don't have enough time to breathe, but I'll always have time and room in my heart for that place from a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.

24. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I really didn't leave TLJ curious about what happens next -- without any ties to the original trilogy, I find these new characters pretty shallow -- but I agree with this. I think JJ will have a steadier hand on the next project.

It's too late now of course, but I wish Disney would at least listen to George Lucas to get some of his thoughts on where the galaxy he created could or should go next.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    George gave It all up He had his chance and then sold to Disney, Disney Is In Charge now And so far I think they are doing a Great job! It Is a great Time to be a Star Wars Fan!