main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After seeing Yoda unload some whup-ass in AotC, are you expecting more out of Luke in the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fire_Light, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Thats not to say Luke hasn't done anything in the NJO, it just has not been high profile or very flashy. But after seeing what Yoda was capable of, do you think Luke will see more action? Frankly, I don't think we've scratched the service of what Luke is capable of in the NJO, but they could be holding out until The Unifying Force to really let loose.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Fire: "But after seeing what Yoda was capable of..."

By "capable of", do you mean spinning in the air pointlessly and failing to achieve his objective? :confused:

Anyway, Luke did unload some whup-ass in Onslaught, as I recall. Luke + two lightsabers + lots of Yuuzhan Vong = Drizzt Do'Urden, eat your heart out! :D

3. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    By "capable of", do you mean spinning in the air pointlessly and failing to achieve his objective?

And how else is a 3 foot troll supposed to attack a man well over 6 feet? ?[face_plain] Of course he's going to have to leap! :) But then, we've already discussed this.

As to the main point, Yoda's battle proficiency has no bearing whatsoever on Luke's fighting in the NJO.

JMA

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    JMA: "And how else is a 3 foot troll supposed to attack a man well over 6 feet?"

Spinning in the air does not benefit Yoda in any way at all. Yoda was employing "flash" appeal. If he was a true master, he would have been able to take Dooku out with practical means. He could have, oh, I don't know, actually beat him in a sword contest? [face_plain]

Sigh. I'll go over this slowly, even though I've already recieved warnings over PMs that people here don't want to listen to logic being articulated by someone experienced in the subject matter being discussed.

Yoda could have parried each of Dooku's assaults, as he did in the novelization. He could have beaten Dooku by traditional methods. Lightsaber blades don't weigh anything, thus, Yoda wasn't at any severe disadvantage. In fact, his diminutive stature might actually have benefited him in such a contest.
    Moreover, Yoda could have employed a dual-phased 'saber. Again, the blades don't weigh anything, so, while Yoda would still look slightly ridiculous, he wouldn't look as strange as he did during the film fight sequence.

Dooku comes down with an overhead chop. Yoda could raise his blade in the proper riposte and compliment the parry with a forward thrust or slash. Dooku's assaults would mostly come as overhead chops. Dooku wouldn't be able to slash effectively, because his opponent was so small.
    Yoda, however, was able to employ a variety of sword tactics against Dooku.

Yoda had an advantage. Those ignorant of combat techniques apparently refuse to accept that. [face_plain]

I really don't want to continue this debate. If any of you live in Orlando and want to prove me wrong, then send me a private message and we could meet, and I could kick your ass with a sword in person to better articulate my point. :)

5. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Those ignorant of combat techniques apparently refuse to accept that.

JMA

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree completely. Yoda wasted a hell of a lot of energy accomplishing nothing but providing us with some eye candy. Whup-dee-do. I'd much rather see some Li-Mu-Bai coolness out of Yoda than some midget-Neo-on-crack antics. Speaking of which, the trailer for the Matrix sequel looks ridiculous.

Back on topic, I still want to see Yoda and E.T. in a fight, and I still think E.T. would win:

Yoda: E.T., your father. . .I am!
    E.T.: EeEeEeEeEeEhhhhh!
    Yoda: ::whips out lightsaber, strains to tear some struts off the walls to throw at E.T.::
    E.T.: ::ignites ouch-finger, prepares his devastating heart-glow, and then uses his amazing T.K. powers to throw Yoda into the wall a few times::
    Yoda: ::Recovers, slashes at E.T.::
    E.T.: ::Retracts his neck stalk, causing Yoda's slash to go by overhead, overbalancing Yoda. He uses the finger to hurt instead of heal, scrambling Yoda's brains::

The End.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, I think Yoda would be able to defeat E.T. [face_laugh] :p

Edit:

Mastage: "I agree completely. Yoda wasted a hell of a lot of energy accomplishing nothing but providing us with some eye candy. Whup-dee-do."

You know, because of my negative opinions on Yoda's fight, I've actually gotten a private message titled, "You are retarded". The private message said, "YODA IS THE MAN and YOU ARE DUMB".

I wasn't sure whether to be offended, stoic, or amused. :)

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    LOL @ Mastadge

*Imagines the visuals of that 'duel'*

9. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    Mastadge:Yoda wasted a hell of a lot of energy accomplishing nothing but providing us with some eye candy

I agree, but it was kewl eye candy.

Valyn:I could kick your ass with a sword in person to better articulate my point.

Ok, lets do it, sword to sword, man to man.

And by sword to sword I mean you with a small twig, and me with a baseball bat.

Oh and by man to man I mean you alone, me with ten friends. :p j/k

To be serious though, why does everyone automatically assume I'm referring to the lightsaber scene and not to the Force battle beforehand?

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Fire_Light: "To be serious though, why does everyone automatically assume I'm referring to the lightsaber scene and not to the Force battle beforehand?"

I assumed you were referring to the lightsaber duel because, when I saw your thread, it was right above my thread discussing Yoda in AotC, which included a debate about Yoda's fighting abilities. A part of me was wondering whether or not this thread was just a criticism of my mentioned thread, because I've been recieving so much harassment about my negative opinions concerning Yoda's fighting exploits. :)

"And by sword to sword I mean you with a small twig, and me with a baseball bat."

Well, that does make things a bit more difficult for me... :(

"Oh and by man to man I mean you alone, me with ten friends."

:eek:
    I don't think so! :eek:

:p

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Don't worry, I'll be one of those 10 "friends," and beat on those others from behind. :D

12. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Valyn its a movie get over it.

13. Dark_Terror

Dark_Terror Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Hmm it ddn't seem to matter at the end. Dooku looked like he was going to be overpowered. Which is why he decided to drop a column on Anakin and Obi Wan...

Though it's only a movie. :p

14. starwarsfannumber1

starwarsfannumber1 Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2002
    I truly wish they had killed Mara instead of Anikan. That would have given Luke an excuse to go back to the Empire, take it over, and kick some Vong butt.

15. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 1999
    Well the Jedi do more than sword fight guys.

While you may think Yoda was being flashy it's entirely possible he was rolling out of the way of telekenetic attacks and moving to "screw with Dooku's radar"

Realize that jedi see the future before they happen.

Darth Maul and Yoda both move in part I believe to fake out their opponents as the Jedi lose their 'split second' advantage of seeing what their opponent will do in the second before hand.

While Qui Gon and older Obi Wan prefer a more militaristic approach to battle let's not forget where both of them ended up.

16. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    Don't worry, I'll be one of those 10 "friends," and beat on those others from behind.

Traitor! :mad:

17. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Valyn, I know you think you're Mr Miyagi or something, but could you drop the combat lectures? [face_plain]

Yoda leaped around and did cool stuff which is pleasing to the eye. Although he didn't beat Dooku, he held his own against him. You act as though he should have creamed Dooku, but you forget that Dooku is no push over; he easily beat Obi-Wan who as we all know managed to defeat Darth Maul, one of the most skilled lightsaber wielders ever.

However, I'm sure you'll continue to argue that he lost his fight and he is a poor swordsman. If only he had been your padawan, Sensei. [face_plain]

Now, to answer the REAL question of this thread, I don't think it's very important for Luke to fight with a lightsaber in the NJO as they are books and much of the visual quality of a lightsaber battle would therefore be lost. It would take a skilled writer indeed to make it seem interesting.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Barns: "...he easily beat Obi-Wan who as we all know managed to defeat Darth Maul, one of the most skilled lightsaber wielders ever."

Actually, Kenobi beat Maul due to his innovation and resourcefulness, not his sheer skill. Maul lost that duel because he grew too cocky at the end. :)

"It would take a skilled writer indeed to make it seem interesting."

How were Salvatore's fight sequences in Vector Prime? I've never read the novel, but Salvatore has a reputation for delineating fight sequences.

However, I was disappointed with his work in the Attack of the Clones novelization. He repeatedly used the word "snap". "Snap-roll", "snap-kick", you name it, and he could "snap" it. [face_plain]

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Yoda leaped around and did cool stuff which is pleasing to the eye.

Which is why I thought the movie was so awful. It was nothing but eye candy. It was literally a 2.5 hour commercial, filled to the brim with kewlness and little details designed to please the fans, but with very, very little substance backing it up. Eye candy is good in moderated doses, but character interaction pays off so much more. Compare the fight scenes in The Princess Bride, the Empire Strikes Back, Conan the Barbarian, etc. to the ones in TPM and AotC. Sure, they're slower, but they're also much more impressive and much more touching, because the characters are actually interacting instead of just flowing through a rapid bunch of quick moves. To semi-quote George Lucas, "A special effect without a story is a very boring thing." Special effects are cool, but they need backup.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

After seeing Yoda unload some whup-ass in AotC, are you expecting more out of Luke in the NJO?

I am not sure I understand the relation of the two components of the title. First, despite Valyn's arrogant assertions and claims, he is correct. Yoda DID NOTHING to Dooku. However, I would also like to point out that A.) Dooku didn't want to fight and B.) He was trying to leave anyway.

Being as it seems that I am only other person here who knows anything about sword play, and then only slightly, I believe that Yoda is a true master swordsgoblyn, but what we saw on the big screen was in no way indicative of that fact. Bouncing around and landing a few parried blows here and there does not make someone a swordmaster, rather it makes them expend a great deal of energy to accomplish very little. Again, were it not for what I pointed out above about Dooku, nothing might have had been accomplished.

As to the title of this thread, I see no correlation. Since Yoda did not 'unload some whup-ass' by any stretch of the imagination, and even if he had, how does this have any bearing on Luke at all? What more can I expect out of the greatest hero in the known galaxy. How much MORE can we expect out of Luke? Whose 25 year career has seen the destruction of the Galactic Empire, the deaths of Darth vader and the Emperor, the formation of the New Republic and the resurrection of the Jedi Knights. How much more does he have to do? How much does he have left in him? He gives and gives, but I guess that isn't enough for some people.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Mastage: "Sure, they're slower, but they're also much more impressive..."

While I completely agree with you, I'm afraid that it seems as though the majority of consumers want the "eye-candy". Lucas himself, I believe, said that he wanted the fights in the PT to be faster. People automatically assume that faster moves yield a better fight. Not only do people assume this, but the accept it and defend it blindly and ignorantly.

I mean, c'mon! I even got a private message calling me retarded and dumb because of my criticisms in regards to Yoda's duel!

I think it's fairly easy to stereotype American movies these days. Said stereotype, from what I've garnered, is as follows:

Sexually attractive women, "flash"-appeal, parts where those sexually attractive women have portions of their clothing discarded, weak plot, impressive advertisements...and, that's basically all I can think of at the moment.
    It seems as though most American movies boast these qualities and (subtly?) emphasizes these qualities, as well.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: If we want quality products, we have to boycott the current products. However, since the majority of the audience (in my opinion) is blissfully ignorant, such a boycott will never transpire. Thus, society will continue to reduce quality generation by generation (if not at a more rapid rate) until we're left with a barbarian-like society again. [face_plain]

Edit:

Kier: "First, despite Valyn's arrogant assertions and claims, he is correct."

:eek:
    Should I be happy that you agree with me? Or sad that you called me arrogant? :confused: :(

Edit:

I really gotta' do something about the dialect I employ in my posts. Apparently, I'm usually "correct", but have a tendency to display "arrogance", as well. :p

22. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I have to agree, The Princess Bride had one of the most exciting sword fights between Montoia and the Man in Black- it was SUPERB, high energy, good acrobatics and a lot of fun. But also see very obvious similarities between how the Jedi are portrayed in the films when held against any Toshiro Mafune movies I have seen, and since my wife LOVES Mafune and Akira Kurosawa, I have seen quite a few of them.

Valyn, don't take it personally. I have noticed that people around here take people busting on their favorite thing VERY personally. Like, if you dis Star Wars, you must therefore be insulting them. Ignore them and move on.

As shallow as TPM and AotC may have been, are they any worse than an Adam Sandler or Jim Carey abomination? I think not.

23. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Valyn, I had no idea you were so hopelessly optomistic. [face_plain]

24. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I really gotta' do something about the dialect I employ in my posts. Apparently, I'm usually "correct", but have a tendency to display "arrogance", as well.

See?

25. starwarsfannumber1

starwarsfannumber1 Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2002
    What I want to see is more martial arts. The Jedi ability to "see" possible attacks an opponent may use would be a great advantage. Plus they could enhance their strength

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.