main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga After the Dance: a Bail/Sola romance - one post w/cover art

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I originally wrote this piece back in November '03 for a first kiss challenge as part of a thread on the Writers' Resource board. I toyed with the idea of posting it over here at that point, but I wasn't completely happy with the entry, so I held off.

Well, I had a chance to go back over the story and this is something of a re-worked version. I don't know that it is worth reading again if you read it the first time, but I though I'd go ahead and post it here - what with Valentines Day being just around the corner - for anyone looking for a short romantic read in honor of the holiday...

Edit: How about a little cover art!

[image=http://publish.hometown.aol.com/reihla/images/afterthedancecover2.jpg]

Title: After the Dance
    Author(s): Reihla
    Timeframe: Pre-AOTC
    Characters: Bail Organa, Sola Naberrie
    Genre: romance
    Summary: A chance meeting between two lonely individuals sparks an unexpected romance.

Bail Organa congratulated himself on his narrow escape from the party. Though he?d been attending political functions all his life, he still found them stifling. The presence of so many pompous, narrow-minded individuals drained him physically and mentally.

Somehow he?d even managed to pull off the coup of ditching this evening?s bodyguard. Not that Obi-Wan?s eighteen-year-old padawan was offensive. Quite the contrary. Anakin was refreshingly candid and opinionated for a Jedi. It was more that the boy was an unnecessary encumbrance that had made his presence annoying on this particular evening. For the first time in a very long time it felt good to throw protocol to the wind.

He cast a sidelong glance down at the woman on his arm - the woman responsible for his sudden, uncharacteristic lack of caution. Sola Naberrie was a study in contradictions and inspired in Bail a kind of odd, breathless excitement. She was unguarded and open, which was a refreshing change in Coruscant?s climate of subterfuge and hidden agendas. At the same time she projected an air of complicated mystery. In many ways she was like her younger sister, a fact she had already denied many times this evening.

She hadn?t changed Bail?s mind though. It was obvious to him and to the rest of the universe that both women were exquisitely lovely, even radiant. Where they differed was in how their particular light chose to shine. Padmé had always reminded him of a fiery bright jewel, completely at home in the social whirlwind of Senate politics. Sola, in contrast, was possessed of the softer sort of beauty found in priceless Alderaani pearls.

He?d always loved pearls. Looking past their frosted silvery surface meant becoming lost in the glowing warmth of swirling layers beneath. A man could drown in depths like that if he wasn?t careful.

He cast his gaze forward again but Sola?s face remained burned in his mind?s eye. Sable hair twisted in an elaborately elegant style. Honey-gold eyes. Elegantly arched brows. Patrician features. Even the small beauty mark above her wide, generous mouth was fascinating.

From the moment Senator Amidala had arrived at the party Bail had been transfixed by her companion. Her stylish, yet simple gown of deepest blue set her apart from the more flamboyantly clad, upwardly mobile parasitic females that these functions seemed to attract. He was aware his staring had bordered on rudeness, but he?d been unable to keep his eyes off her during dinner. When she raised her liquid amber eyes to his across the crowded table his heart raced at the flash of awareness between them.

Years of social training had taken over and he?d lifted his glass in a silent toast to her beauty. Her slight, self-conscious smile sent a gentle heat curling through his body. She had truly seemed unaware of her own allure. Suddenly, meeting her had become a matter of necessity, like breathing. The moment dinner ended he found himself at her side asking for a dance.

He realized that by both Alderaani and Naboo standards he?d been incredibly forward. As

2. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *sighs* Oh, Reihla, this was beautiful. [face_love] So romantic, and such a joy to read. I enjoyed 'meeting' Sola for the first time, and I think her characterization, along with Bail's, was very believable. She's probably what Padmé will become after she's lost everything she loves and her idealism dies down to a quiet acceptance. Your writing style is amazing. :) I'm glad I took the time to read this. ;)

3. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This was such a beautiful, romantic piece.

Padmé had always reminded him of a fiery bright jewel, completely at home in the social whirlwind of Senate politics. Sola, in contrast, was possessed of the softer sort of beauty found in priceless Alderaani pearls.

Wonderfully written!

4. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    I think you're right, Fate. Life's sad experiences probably will change Padme in just the same way. I'm happy you stopped in and even more so that you enjoyed this little story :)

Thank you Gina, I'm glad you liked it!

5. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    That was so beautiful and I never would of thought of Bail/Sola as a couple.

~aeryn

6. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Ah the lost art of courting. I love this fic, the descriptions you made were marvelous, and it is nice to see Sola in a starring role

7. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    AERYN_SUN - That was so beautiful and I never would of thought of Bail/Sola as a couple.

Thanks. I didn?t actually start out thinking of them as a couple. I wrote this other vignette for a writers? challenge ? it was a pre-AOTC Anakin/Padmé thing ? and it involved a dinner party at the capital. Sola happened to accompany Padmé and when she caught Bail?s eye the inspiration for this fic was born. Strange thing, really. That doesn?t happen to me often. Of course, I had to kill off her husband, but I couldn?t let that stop me. :) Thank you for reading and for giving feedback.

Hananiah - it is nice to see Sola in a starring role

I?m glad you think so. I?ve liked her and been wanting to explore her character ever since the deleted scenes from AOTC. I admit I wondered if there would be any interest in her paired with such a strong canon figure, but I couldn?t just not write it. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it.

8. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Liked this before, like this still. You brought these two characters together without compromising their canon integrity. I love the sheer ... sophistication of this story: Sola's sable hair, the wines, the cape fluttering to the ground... :) , the underlying theme of mature love... [face_swoon] [face_laugh]

So, when will you be revamping and reposting Dinner Party? ;)

9. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Gotta admit that this isn't exactly my cup of tea but it was beautifully written. Tense and slow buildup, the dialogue, everything just fits. I can see these two together. I hear Harlequin knocking down your door in the near future.

10. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Realyl nice, I like it at lot. I don't think i've ever seen that pairing before. I like this though.

:Targeter:

11. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    leia_naberrie ? when will you be revamping and reposting Dinner Party?

Heh, heh. I hadn?t planned to, actually, but I guess I could. :) I sorta forget about my challenge pieces once I finish them (like bubble gum, sweet while you?re chewing it, but if you keep it to long?). I reposted this one mainly because I had a brainstorm session about where to go from here on it and ended up practically rewriting the whole story. That's a bad habit of mine, reading/rewriting. Thanks for being so supportive of it. :D For characters that just fell in together I?m happy they were so well received.

Zane-Marit ? I hear Harlequin knocking down your door in the near future.

Oh would that this were true! My husband would be thrilled. I guess he figures if I?m going to be writing all the time I might as well make money. I read a lot of romance novels growing up. I guess I gravitate to that genre whenever I?m looking for something ?comfortable? to write. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I appreciate you reading my story even if it isn?t what you normally like. :)

CodeName_Targeter Yeah, they aren?t a very likely couple, are they? Not real sure why I paired them, except they happened to make a cameo in another vignette I wrote and practically begged for their own scene. Thanks for reading! I?m glad you liked it.

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Reihla--this is beautiful, my dear! I've always wondered about Sola--what she was like, how she related with Padmé, and how she functioned as a (single) mother. I love this portrait of her, and what an interesting pairing! I would never have thought to pair her with Bail Organa (another minor character that has always intrigued me) and you did it with perfect plausibility. I like this story very much!

13. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Emilie! [face_blush]

14. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm speechless... that was so absolutely beautiful... beautiful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.