main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the NJO, before the DNT.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know about anybody else, but I would love to see some novels set during the 5 year gap between the NJO and the Dark Nest Trilogy. I'm curious as to if anybody else has any ideas for what could be done with that time period.

2. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I've always wanted to see a novel set around Jacen's travels and his thoughts during that time. Because the character at the end of NJO and the start of DNT is basically a completely different person. Growth like that is interesting and something i'd appreciate learning more about from Jacen's perspective.

In general i'd also like to know what the Jedi themselves were up to during that time when they operated under Vergere's teachings.

WynnDorvan likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We need to see the recovery from the Vong invasion.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've always wanted to see a Vong Warlord novel in the style of the old Imperial Warlords of the Week.

Could easily be a fleet or Xwing book, tied into the Bothan Arkai, with a faction of warrior caste who defied Choka's surrender, dug in and held out to the last man, whilst the other Vong castes rebelled and became heroes, etc, etc.

Instead we got Killiks... who I don't mind, and I realise why they wanted a break from Vong at the time... but now it's the reverse, and we could use a breather from Killiks and Celestials. So I'd enjoy a return to 30+ ABY for some mopping up Vong holdouts.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If they wanted to setup some other smaller scale stories, they could easily have a story set in the immediate post-NJO era and then have some smaller Yuuzhan Vong threats to tie us over post-FotJ Aftermath

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You don't even need Vong for smaller threats; pirate gangs and local warlords taking advantage of the chaos and devastation in the war's aftermath, regional power feuds in the altered political landscape. There would obviously be Vong holdouts, but I think it would be a mistake to focus on them, actually. After nineteen books about an entire war, you don't need to continue on with the mop-up as epilogue. Move on to some variety. Once other stuff is established in the era, then you can come back and fill in with the holdout campaign.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  7. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd definitely like to see some of what Jacen was doing around this time period. I'd REALLY like to see other Jedi like Kyp and Corran going out on side missions. Nothing like a galactic crisis, but still interesting adventures.

WynnDorvan likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hav, I was just hoping they'd take my hint to have Nom Anor come back after FotJ!

Force Smuggler and _Catherine_ like this.
  9. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I would adore a novel set in this era...with Luke, Mara, and Ben. Or a Wedge novel focusing on his reactions as his daughters finally grow up and Syal joins Starfighter command. Or a Lando novel!

And...ugh, Killiks. Want to shoot myself multiple times every time I think of them. One of the great things about playing as a Sith on Alderaan in TOR is the chance to wipe the floor with millions of the evil buggers.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I desperately wanted small scale conflicts and the recovery from the Yuuzhan Vong War, but instead we got yet another Sith plot set on the back drop of yet another major war, that seems to be little more than a betrayal of Traitor and a poor rehash of the PT.

SiouxFan likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, we can still have those smaller conflicts as there are those 5 years to tap. Plus no irritating Jacen to ruin the story!

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't care about that five year gap, the recovery from the Yuuzhan Vong War should still be happening during the Denningverse. That's not even Jacen, that's Darth Vader II.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but that's much harder to get now, I'll take what whatever we can get.

14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I think we need to see interaction between the Alliance and the Jedi. At the end of NJO things were at an all time high for the NJO. By the start of DNT they've apparently been clashing with Alliance command for some time on how closely the Order is tied to the Alliance and where exactly they operate in terms of Luke and Cal.

Silas Allender likes this.
  15. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Little skirmishes with Vong resistance groups, arresting members of the Peace Brigade, exciting adventures in the Outer Rim/Unknown Regions. Maybe something involving the Hutts.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Somewhat off-topic...but am I THE ONLY ONE who prefers the pre-Traitor view of the Force? I liked the black-and-white feel of it, and where you COULDN'T use the Dark Side without being an evil butthole. But that's just me.

As for books set post-NJO but pre-DNT...there is a lot of area to cover. And who says it has to be a war (or skirmish) book? We can just as easily have a book that shows the Galaxy recovering from the Vong War.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I don't know about anybody else, but I would love to see some novels set during the 5 year gap between the NJO and the Dark Nest Trilogy. I'm curious as to if anybody else has any ideas for what could be done with that time period.
    i have been saying this for years. If nothing else, a five year journey series with Jacen, pared with another storyline with Luke would have been welcome.​

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Zeta1127 "betrayal of Traitor" I see what you did there. [face_mischief]

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You can do that as a Jedi too :p. Of course, the Sith are inevitably more brutal in their treatment towards them... still, fun to mow them down with a Troopers chain gun.

If only TOR had a planet of Squibs...

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I never made it to Alderaan as a Jedi or Trooper. I am salivating imagining the ability to mow them down with a chain gun, though. Er...which class gets the chain gun, again? I tried to pick the one that did, but I'm not sure...was it Vanguard?

Planet of Squibs...I'm just imagining the destruction...Hey, can we use one of those superweapons from the Jedi Knight storyline on that planet?

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    All this thread does is remind my how poorly the post-NJO Del Rey series have been executed and planned. I genuinely lament what could of otherwise been a "Golden Age" for the EU. :(

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Nah, Vanguards get a blaster rifle, but lots of extra defensive weapons. Commando's get a big chain gun that also doubles as a healing weapon (nifty thing). Of course, I always wondered what would happen if you pressed the wrong trigger when trying to heal an ally... :D

For what it's worth, though, I've had a chance to play a vanguard (friend has one), and I think I prefer them.

23. CMShake

CMShake Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2010
    I've wanted a book or series featuring Jaina's (and other jedi's) adventures ever since reading her brag about them in DNT.

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I think I chose Commando, because I wanted the big underslung gun. So I'm good!

25. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    This. An X-wing-esque series about her and Zekk's exploits taking on smugglers and warlords. A little more piloting awesomeness, a little less swinging of lightsabers.

A novel about Jacen's travels would have seemed interesting, once-upon-a-time. Now, especially after FotJ... meh. They pretty much covered it. The EU just really needs to let Jacen/Caedus go at this point. The last 9 books have still been about him and he's dead.