main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the NJO, before the DNT.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's been awhile since I've read TUF but R2 was about to tell C-3PO that I believe. That's how the post NJO universe should have started. R2 and C-3PO talking, Luke and Leia overhearing them and we get to see the history of the prequels. Then we go to Naboo and a couple other places, find Mara's family. Stuff like that

2. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Force Smuggler: exactly - knowing what happens next really would leave a bitter taste to any victories she had. Maybe a story about the Rogues where she wasn't the perspective character? I just don't know - Dark Nest just poisons so much that I love about Jaina and the EU during that time period.

LexiLupin: No, I agree they're partners. I just think he's really, really boring. The bits of Zekk in Fury were pretty awesome - him pulling the "I'm actually dark side, not like crazy bug Twi'lek over there" on Ship. But then, Fury is my favorite Legacy of the Force novel. The jealousy of Jag and secret murder plans were fantastic - and I love Jag too :).

I really wish they'd let Allston just write a trilogy about Jag, the Rogues, the Wraiths, and Jaina post DNT (and maybe Ben), and let Denning write his "Jacen goes nuts and dies after making everyone unhappy" trilogy (without touching Mara), and let Traviss spin off Boba Fett into novels where the Mandos wouldn't bother anyone. Or better yet, have Allston write the DNT slot trilogy, instead of Denning. But he probably wouldn't be a fan of that - while he loves writing Luke, Ben, Leia, and Han, he generally says he likes to write at the margins of the universe - and even when he's writing about the "main" cast, he always throws in perspective characters like Seha, or Javon, or Octa, who bring in a perspective which isn't "I've saved the galaxy umpteen times and am pivotal to every conflict." So...maybe give the next step in the universe to Stackpole?

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    imiller
    If we could wipe DNT/LOTF/FOTJ away I won't complain. I really wanted to see Jaina in charge of a Starfighter squadron and a jedi running missions. More Rogue stories with Jaina as a character but not the main one? Works for me. You spelled Allston wrong in the last paragraph lol. I agree whole-heartedly with your last paragraph 100%.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hah! Caught it before the stupid edit time limit!

I'm kind of odd in that while I hate Mara's death, I actually like a lot of Legacy of the Force. I don't so much hate Fate of the Jedi as find it a great way to take a nap. It's Dark Nest that I get really, really angry about.

But if wiping it out was the way to wipe out Dark Nest...I'd probably do it.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked LOTF more than I did FOTJ. I hated how Mara's death happened but I was okay that it happened. We want the new Generation to take charge right? Why not get rid of the OT generation to do that? I like DNT as well but if we could a reboot I wouldn't complain. Well without DNT, LOTF and FOTJ would most likely not have happened

6. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    We want the new generation to take charge, but I think Mara's death is a stupid and wrong decision for a couple of reasons.

1) You don't have to kill the old generation to have the new take over (see also: Luke, Leia, Han not being dead - and more importantly, Wedge has actually retired, while not being lazy, and let his daughters take center stage).

2) Mara is the easy, lazy choice for the authors and editors to kill. She's not forbidden, but she's nearly as beloved as those main characters. However, she has absolutely no in-universe reason for her to be Jacen's sacrifice - the only reason I can think of why they didn't go with Tenel Ka or Allana is that Mara's death would actually get them controversy, and therefore sales.

3) Other than Mara and Jacen, no one really important or even well developed died in Legacy of the Force. So the whole "will someone die" tension was completely bogus. At least in Apocalypse, as much as I hated the book, Barv's death was of a character who we cared about.

4) I would also note that saying "we won't kill anyone important" is almost as stupid as saying "we will kill someone important" - it focuses fans on external factors, and not the internal tension of a story. Heaven knows I don't want more characters to die, but for the publicity team to say that everyone important is safe just signals to me that they simply don't care what happens in their books.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Agreed. Instead we got DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ. There are a lot of good moments sprinkled throughout the 3, but none of them equal the disappointment i've suffered after TUF. I really expected so much better. Instead I got Joiners, the assassination of Jacen Solo's character, and Abeloth.

I'm wondering if they're ever going to develop other characters Ben's age, like they originally did in YJK.

SiouxFan likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. I do complain about the DNT/LOTF/FOTJ arc but every time I pick up one of those books I end up liking it. Out of the 3 I like LOTF the most. I've only read each FOTJ book once so I really shouldn't have an opinion on that.

They do need other characters Ben's age. A YJK-type series would be amazing

9. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Disagreed. Pellaeon.
    (Is it bad that I might be more upset about his death than the other two?)

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I mean seriously, am I supposed to want to read about every character I like either being killed or ruined to the point that they are no longer the character I like?

SiouxFan likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Disagreed further. Cal Omas.

12. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    (may he rest in peace, now that we have official artwork to remember him by)

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Nelani Dinn in Betrayal, Sal-Solo in Bloodlines, Lekauf, Mara and Lumiya in Sacrifice, Cal Omas in Inferno, Alema Rar in Fury, Pellaeon in Revelation, Jacen, Shevu and Isolder in Invincible.

Jacen's death, following by Pellaeon, being the most painful deaths.

Anyone else I missed?

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Well, there's Alema in Fury, and Lumiya in Sacrifice as well. Are we counting villains?
    Guess so. :p And Alema was a likable character once upon a time.

edit: oh! And Jori Lekauf! Maybe not too well developed of a character, but it was an emotional death.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Duly edited.

It was quite the meat-grinder, indeed.

16. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I personally was a fan of Lieutenant Tebut, but I think we can draw the line well before officers who were introduced to make us like them in one scene, just so we can be appropriately horrified when they're murdered in the next.

17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Fett's daughter?

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It would be even greater if the series could have been about Jacen training a young teenage Ben, the scenes of them in Betrayal were great. Ben is too old for a young readers series as things stand now.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    maybe we could have areboot and get Mara nd jacen back. I would rather see Jacen be part of the imperial knights than a fake sith

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A series about Jacen teaching Ben? Not a bad idea. It has potential

21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    How old is Ben though? 16-17? By the end of YJK weren't Jacen and Jaina around that age?

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    To be fair, you can have new Jedi characters who are in-the-trenches-style characters who work against smaller-scale threats, and would have no particularly significant reason to show up in a major role in DN/LOTF/FOTJ. We also do have at least one instance of elevation in DN, with Octa Ramis emerging from "nondescript young Knight who's actually a bit of an immature hothead" to "Jedi Master on the Council."

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Nelani Dinn in Betrayal, Aliyn and Sal-Solo in Bloodlines, Lekauf, Mara and Lumiya in Sacrifice, Cal Omas in Inferno, Alema Rar in Fury, Pellaeon in Revelation, Jacen, Shevu and Isolder in Invincible.

Duly accounted for. That's terribad.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've always found counting Nelani against the body count of LOTF to be ridiculous. She was in one book, in one plotline for maybe half the length of the book, and was introduced for the express purpose of dying. That in no way compares to killing off Pellaeon or Jacen, or even multi-book major supporting characters like Shevu. The character really ought to exist prior to the death for the death to count.

Dur Gejjen and Tresina Lobi, on the other hand, could reasonably count as recurring supporting characters who were killed off. And if Allston hadn't essentially resurrected Kam, LOTF would be even bloodier.

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I didn't care about him. ;) I got that I was supposed to, but I just didn't, probably because I felt "meh" about the series and book as a whole.