main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After the NJO, how about a Palpatine book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by younghansolo, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Ive been reading a lot of posts recently about what fans think should be explored after the njo has finished. I just had a thought the other day that maybe a trilogy about the early life of Palpatine would be preety cool. I.e. how he became so twisted on such an innocent planet as Naboo. How he learnt the force and became a sith etc. I just think it would be compelling reading what do you others think??

Making the title seem less like news that there will be such a novel, and more like speculation. :)

2. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Very little about Palpatine can be covered in the EU until after Ep3 due to restrictions imposed by GL himself but after then the more the better :)

3. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    i would suggest that by the time they get onto something like this with all the ideas they already have, episode 3 will have been released. I think it would make a great way to add depth to a character, who, to be honest has been very underused in the eu.

4. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    He has been underused because of restrictions imposed by GL, these will be lifted after Ep3.

5. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Frankly, as much as I am a fan of the Emperor, I'm against an official story about him. He's really more of an archetype than a character in and of himself -- like Iago, he exists solely to be Evil. Anything beyond that is irrelevant to his character. I'd oppose a story explaining why Iago is so evil, and I'd oppose a story explaining who Palpatine is, and why he is the way he is.

Really, I prefer Ian McDiarmid's explanation. Palpatine isn't really human -- he's Evil from birth, and he's never been other than he is. That's all. He's just a force of nature in human form.

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Some stories have to avoid being told, no matter how much we want them. If they tell every story, we'll have lost a sense of fantasy, imagination. Even though I want to know what happened to Myn Donos, I don't want them to tell the story. It would take away the sense of fantasy.

¤Night

7. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but nervous about how it can be pulled off. Villains may be interesting, but a book totally about a totally evil character we should have no sympathy for, is really difficult to write well and read (and probably not going to happen)...

BUT...A book about Qui-Gon, where Palpatine is a major character (who seems to be a good guy, mostly) might work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.