main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After the NJO is over, what era of novels do you want Del Rey to focus on?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fire_Light, Apr 1, 2002.

?

After the NJO is over, what era of novels do you want Del Rey to focus on?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Novels set in the Sith Era

10.5%
  2. More of a focus on the Prequel/Republic Era

13.5%
  3. Novels from the Empire/Rebellion Era

5.3%
  4. More novels from the New Republic Era

6.0%
  5. Novels set immediately after the NJO concludes

48.1%
  6. Novels focusing on the adventures of a grown up Ben Skywalker

3.0%
  7. Novels focusing on the Skywalker/Solo descendents (100+ years in the future)

6.8%
  8. I don't want to see any novels after the NJO

6.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
  2. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Tough choice. After much deliberation, however, I finally voted for Ben.

3. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    sith era

4. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I would rather they didn't write any more Star Wars novels. The NJO has have ruined the EU. If anything I would hope some other company would take over the release the books and if that were to happen storylines during or around the Sith War would be great. JUST DON'T MAKE CHILDREN THE MAIN CHARACTERS! If I wanted to read about characters near or around my age(18) acting like super heros or acting like they know it all I would read something else or go watch all those stupid teen movies. I want quality writing!

With that said I picked "I don't want to see any novels after the NJO". To me the post Return of the Jedi EU ended with the Hand of Thrawn books. The NJO has ruined the SW EU for me and no more IMO should be maded unless quality is the number one concern.

5. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    What about "the dark times"? [face_devil]

6. GenghisI2

GenghisI2 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2002
    I don't care, as long as it's written by Tim Zahn. It would help if they feature Mara Jade, too.

7. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    Sigh...Is anyone else getting real tired of April 1st?

j/k Genghis

Edit: If that is your real name! ;)

8. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    I voted for the adventures of a grown up Ben Skywalker. Because I would like to see what the next generation Skywalker will be like after Luke. And I would like to see what the "starship
    of strange design" will be like. And I also hope there will be books about the Skywalker/Solo descendants set 100+ years after ROTJ.

9. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    That actually makes my stomach turn....there's just so much that should be covered and will never be written about again and vice versa.

10. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    It was a tough choice, but I did choice post-NJO novels. I however would love to see novels between Ep III and A New Hope. I would love to see the early rebellion stages and other important events that take place in the 18-20 yrs between them.

11. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm just not voting, because there's so much stuff that needs covered, so many cool stories to tell. Star Wars will never end!
    :D

12. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Very good point. The Hand of Thrawn did a great job of "damage control", cleaning up some of the messier points in the EU. But there's still so much more! Two of these could easily be solved in the NJO: Callista and Dash. Callista just sorta...wandered off to find her Force powers. The end? Sloppy sloppy sloppy. Think about this: while out searching on the edges of the galaxy, she discovers the Yuuzhan-Vong, maybe finds the key to defeating them, and then shows up to share this info with the NR. Or at least pledges herself to join the Jedi in battle. SOMETHING. She needs closure, if only to have her meet Mara...that's gotta be an interesting encounter :) Considering Callista is Luke's only "ex" who's still alive, it would be nice for her to stick around for a while.

Dash is similar. We know from the SOTE game that he's still alive and went to the outer rim to hide. But come on...has he really been hiding for TWENTY FIVE YEARS?! Honestly! With the YV making no place safe for anyone, not to mention no more Empire to hunt him down, there's no reason for Dash NOT to come back out into the open. Maybe he could help with the evacuation efforts...just let him do SOMETHING.

Just one more thing: I'm sure this will never happen at least until after Episode III, but we need the story of how Luke learns of the prequel events. Not just for continuity's sake, but for literature's sake. This would be a GREAT story, Luke finding out the history of his lineage, the relationships he never knew of (technically, Threepio is Luke's brother). I'd like to see Luke visit Naboo, maybe talk to some of the people who were involved in those events and survived. We need this story.

13. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    Entire novels set decades into the future just wouldn't feel right to me. It would be too "Next Generation". I don't not want to see some of it, though. did that make sense? Including an epilogue or a few short stories after the NJO series set farther into the future would be cool.

There is so much left untold about the old republic. I always enjoyed history. It's more difficult to see where you're going if you don't know where you've been.

14. Yodimus_Prime

Yodimus_Prime Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    I'd like to see it all. But the 100+ year one was lacking, so i helped it.

It would be cool to have stories where the only familiar characters are c-3po and R2. I'd rather they write original characters than try to write a convincing Luke. And i'd also like to see what cool tech they think up for the next century sw universe.

15. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    short story anthologies set all over...=)

16. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    VERY TOUGH!

But I voted for the Sith era.

IMO, they will probably do a series based on the Clone Wars.

WHY you ask

Well, the Clone Wars have been "Forbidden" to the Authors right from the start and EpIII will be near to completion when the NJO Finishes. Which means a script for EpIII will have been done which will Outline the end of the Clone Wars.

So we have the Start of the Clone Wars (AOTC) and the end at EpIII.
    There are 2-3 Years between EpII and EpIII leaving ample space for another long series! :)

17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<JUST DON'T MAKE CHILDREN THE MAIN CHARACTERS! If I wanted to read about characters near or around my age(18) acting like super heros or acting like they know it all I would read something else or go watch all those stupid teen movies>>

Stupid teen movies like A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones? [face_plain]

wk

18. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    I have to disagree with the majority here even though I do know where you're coming from. While I would like to see how all the characters I got attached to throughout the NJO (and before that in the movies and Bantam Books) will fare after the NJO I hope they don't write about it. The main reason is that you can't write an interesting book without conflict. The Skywalker/Solo family has been through enough already and after the NJO they deserve a much needed break.

19. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I voted for "Immediately after the NJO" but I would also like to see more prequel era books.

20. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I know it isn't a popular view but you know I really like the PT characters better than OT characters.

21. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    After much contemplation I would have to pick post NJO books over bridge novels from the PT to ANH. If we get either one of those two when indeed the NJO does conclude I will be most pleased. :D

22. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Hmmm. Post NJO novels? How much more is there to write?

23. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Grown up Ben...with some of the kids that we see now. Valin, Jysella, Syal, and Miri among them.

24. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I suppose the rebuilding of the galaxy. Plus they have to sort out all the guys Jaina has accumulated over the NJO.

25. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yes, it will be the 'next next' generation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.