main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After the NJO is over, what era of novels do you want Del Rey to focus on?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fire_Light, Apr 1, 2002.

?

After the NJO is over, what era of novels do you want Del Rey to focus on?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Novels set in the Sith Era

10.5%
  2. More of a focus on the Prequel/Republic Era

13.5%
  3. Novels from the Empire/Rebellion Era

5.3%
  4. More novels from the New Republic Era

6.0%
  5. Novels set immediately after the NJO concludes

48.1%
  6. Novels focusing on the adventures of a grown up Ben Skywalker

3.0%
  7. Novels focusing on the Skywalker/Solo descendents (100+ years in the future)

6.8%
  8. I don't want to see any novels after the NJO

6.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Post-Xim, early Republic. One other question, if the Jedi through out the sith 100000 years before ANH, why are the Jedi credited to being started at 25000BBY?

2. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
  3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I can see why a lot of people are interested in seeing books after the NJO, and stories about Ben Skywalker, but come on...We've just been allowed to delve into the Prequel Era this past 3 years! Let's start focusing on the original Skywalker before we learn about his descendants.

You know what I think would be awesome? There is two years between Episodes II and III. Wouldn't it be really interesting if they did a series of novels spanning that time, almost in realtime, much like the HoloNetNews stories? They could call it the Clone Wars Chronicles or something, showing what happens with Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan and other characters after Attack of the Clones, and the Clone Wars that rage across the galaxy, between the Republic and Confederates, and any other factions that participate, such as the Mandalorians and Freedom's Sons. [face_mischief] The last book in the series could literally be a prologue to Episode III, much like how TAS is for AotC.

If any other megaseries were planned after that, I would fill out the ten years between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, and then the twenty years between Episodes III and IV.

And then perhaps a wrap-up ending for the whole Saga, after the New Jedi Order Era.

Just one more thing: I'm sure this will never happen at least until after Episode III, but we need the story of how Luke learns of the prequel events. Not just for continuity's sake, but for literature's sake. This would be a GREAT story, Luke finding out the history of his lineage, the relationships he never knew of (technically, Threepio is Luke's brother). I'd like to see Luke visit Naboo, maybe talk to some of the people who were involved in those events and survived. We need this story.

Agreed. I think that he should've learned about some of the events in TPM during Vector Prime, and then now, perhaps in Destiny's Way, he could learn about stuff in AotC. So he finds out more information at the same time the audience does. I don't see why it's not happening.

Post-Xim, early Republic. One other question, if the Jedi through out the sith 100000 years before ANH, why are the Jedi credited to being started at 25000BBY?

I think that is the Sith species, or when they discovered their "magic", which is really just the Force, something that is infinite.

Force-users had probably been around a little bit for hundreds or thousands of years before the Jedi. The Jedi just institutionalized the practice of it, and rose into being as guardians of the new Republic.

4. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I voted New Republic era. Just after the movies, before NJO. They could pretty much phase out anything that happened between the 8 years after ROTJ to 13 years after and make it interesting, because IMO, Children Of the Jedi, Blackfleet Crisis, are junk. Or else make a type 2 EU, keeping classics from the origional EU, like Thrawn trilogy, and have new characters and some old EU favorites and make some new stories. After NJO would really start getting stale, I mean how much suffering do these people need to go through, from the time Luke was 18 till now in his 40s he hasn't had to stop dealing with baddies. From the time the Solo twims were born they've had evil breathing down their backs. Some of the stuff is good, but I really don't want to read about a 90 year old Luke Skywalker dying of old age in his sleep or turning off his lightsaber in battle or whatever.

5. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't think Lucasfilm would make any stories retroactively infinities. We all have certain stories that we dislike more than others, but like they say, one's trash, another's treasure.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'd like a novel where it explains who built Crellia and put the Sharu ito hibernation ect.
    I'd also think it'd be nice if the NJO ended with a nice wrap up of everything.
    What I'd really like to see, is Lucas himself write a story taking place after all the other stories and wrapping up his saga :)

7. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Me too.

8. BuzzKill

BuzzKill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 1999
    I'd love to see the sith era and how it rose and fell. The infighting the scheming and a nice rebellion to cap it all off.

9. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I voted Republic era. Specifically Yoda's lifetime. Think of how interesting this would be! Yoda's younger years at the Temple, maybe his training. There could be a whole series on Yoda's life. I can only imagine! Think of Yoda knowing all the TPM Jedi as children, maybe training them. :D

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I voted for immediately after the New Jedi Order, but if they did solid, full-length Nomi Sunrider series, I would be positively TICKLED about it.

11. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
  12. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The prequel/republic era is begging to have quality novels written to flesh out the story. I want to know about the Clone Wars. I want a story bridging episodes 2 and 3. I want a novel taking the definitive in-depth look at Anakin's training in the Jedi Temple. I want a novel picking up after TPM like how Truce at Bakura picked up after ROJ. And I want it soon ;)

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think there is still much that can be written about between ROTJ and the NJO...the NR isn't finished yet, and if you want to keep the main characters like Han and Leia and Luke active, they need to stay young in the plots.

Besides: I WANT CHEWIE BACK!!!!!!!!

14. Anakin_1984

Anakin_1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2001
    I want all of those eras of novels to be worked on, but I picked immediately after NJO. My next choice is a hard one but I would say more novels in the New Republic era. I want both Chewie and Anakin Solo back.

15. njb87

njb87 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Thats a tough choice. I would like it to be novels set immediately after the NJO concludes, so that we can see how the NR (or whatever new orgainization they created), and Jedi are rebuilt. But I would also like to see what happends with Ben and the Solo children (whats left of them).

16. Erin_Hart

Erin_Hart Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    I haven't read all the NJO books (college took up so much time grrrr) but I'd like them to continue with the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books. I liked reading about the 'normal' heros of the Republic. I get tired of reading about Jedi all the time (waits to have rotten fruit thrown at her) or maybe read about the Sith....

That could be interesting...read about the conflicts from the Sith or even the Imperial point of view. Well, it'd make an interesting AU at least.

Erin

17. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes the NJO. Anyway, that's OT, so:

I voted Sith War, though any Republic "ancient history" would be good. I don't read the comics, so I know very little of this era, and some full length novels would be great.

After NJO finishes and Ep 3 is out, it will be open season for the whole timeline, because we'll have the whole story. The Clone Wars will no longer be untouchable. The Dark Times, between 3 and 4 will be available. The very-pre-TPM era really should get some attention, because it will allow completely oiginal characters and storylines, rather than the same heros going through the motions time after time.

Just after NJO is a posibility, though I don't know what would happen in them. Some Ben Skywalker books might be good too.

What the hell. I'll read them regardless. :)

18. Shadowjediknight

Shadowjediknight Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    I would love to read more stories in the period of the Empire rule. I love the empire and the dark jedi. I would also like to read stories the bring back characters such as and her Emperors Hand Roganda Isamar and her son Irek-Children of the Jedi, the Hutt Jedi from Planet of Twilight, the other Jedi order from I,Jedi with the cool armour and so many others...

19. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    The outbound flight project II. Only this time try to get the Chiss out of the way. This maybe a way to get rid of the old charecters like luke or leia without ever acknowledging that they die.

Miin Bodenna
    Co-CEO of Massassi
    Defense Deprtment

20. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
  21. Hal_HORN

Hal_HORN Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2002
    I may stand alone here but I think that the comic series are the perfect medium for the sith era, although some of the history has been covered there is still alot to be written. I think the novels should be based upon the new trilogy, between the events of 1,2,3 mostly because it has the most gaps in the story. It would be great to see how Palpatine managed to hide his presence from the Jedi for so long and to see his long-term plan start and come to fruition. Mostly I think the clone wars should be written about but only if it is a NJO-type story where most of the chapters are preset to avoid confusion in the storyline and to maintain integrity to the characters (Would anyone please explain why Luke would cripple an enemy ship instead of destroying it. The Skywalkers were not Pacifists!!!!!)

22. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    The outbound flight project II. Only this time try to get the Chiss out of the way. This maybe a way to get rid of the old charecters like luke or leia without ever acknowledging that they die.

Why would they want to wipe out the chiss, they don't even associate themselves with the GFFA, let alon cause it's problems.

23. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I voted for the Empire/Rebellion Era.

I think it would be fun to see Luke, Han and Leia in between ANH and ESB. I would like to see their adventures in the Rebellion. I also would like to see a novel focused on a pre-ANH Leia story.

After that era I would have chose the New Republic Era and immediately following the NJO.

I'm not really that interested in any of the other time periods, at least not to read a novel about them...

24. The_Clone_of_Maul

The_Clone_of_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2001
    I think taking a leap a century into the future would be most intriguing....

25. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I'd say after the NJO to have more novels immediately after that time period.

I am extremely interesting in prequel-era Republic/Empire stories, but I'd rather not see many more of them until Episode III comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.