After the NJO, they should do "Episodes 7,8,9"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Was thinking about this recently, and while we know Lucas isn't gonna do Episodes 7, 8 or 9...at one point or another, Lucas had at least a basic outline/concept/idea of what he would have done for Episodes 7, 8 or 9 once upon a time. He also once said that the trilogies were seperated by 20 to 30 years or so. Once the NJO is complete, we'll be very near the 30 years after Yavin timepoint. I think it would be great if Lucas would relay what he would have liked to have done for Episodes VII, VIII & IX to Del Rey and the various SW authors ou there, to translate those ideas (and adapt them to fit in-line with the events of the EU and NJO, etc) into a stand alone trilogy or 4-book series (ala the initial X-Wing books by Stackpole, pre-Wraiths).

He did something similar (meaning providing his initial ideas for would-be-sequels he ended up not making) for a Willow sequel novel or two, so I think it would be great to do something similar for star wars.

If need be Del Rey could wait until after Episode 3 came out (and publish a second story-arc series of books ala NJO, after NJO, but still prior to the "sequel trilogy" booksin the meantime) until doing this as a kind of "endcap" to the prequel trilogy's run (and also prevent Lucas's possible hesitation at giving out ideas he might use in episode 3, so once E3 is done, he wouldn't have to worry about that anymore and can spill the beans, so to speak.).

Just an idea::)
  2. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This is something that comes up every now and again. At one point someone claimed that the NJO was based on the potential story line for the sequel trilogy. Someone else said that it was actually the Dark Empire Trilogy that served as the sequel trilogy, and even said something like Lucas himself claimed that Dark Empire came close to his vision of what would happen in the sequels.

Personally, I think that unless Lucas decides he wants to try and do the sequel trilogy after he finishes with the prequels, we should just let the sequels go. Things have already reached a point where the sequels would be more meaningless.
  3. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "Willow sequel novel"? Whazzat?
  4. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    A book trilogy. Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn, and I forget the third title. Shadow something or other.
  5. InSearchoftheForce Jedi Padawan

Although, I have thought of what it would be like to have a 7,8, and 9 in the past. I think that it wouldn't be such a good idea now, only because of the darker tone the NJO series seems to have taken, I can't imagine it translating well to the big screen,meaning I can't see it fitting in well with the tone of the rest of the Star Wars movie, but I guess I will have to wait and see II and III, they seem to be moving down that path
  6. ron corless Jedi Knight

star 3
    It would be fun if authors ghost wrote what
    Lucas had in mind for Episodes VII-IX and
    deal with what Luke,Han and Leia are up to when they are 60 or 70. It could be a trilogy
    of hardcovers or a 4-part book series or a huge arc like NJO post-NJO where Luke passes
    on the excalibur to the next generation of Jedi Knights.
  7. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    I also have thought about this...

I think that he should work with the author(s) in plotting the 3 books. They could even have a soundtrack for it, like Shadows of the Empire.
  8. Keyan_Stele Force Ghost

star 2
    I see no reason that someday, someone won't come across various notes that G.L. has scribbled down about 7-9 or even possible screenplays that were considered once upon a time and then use that material to write novels. Or alternately that he would release such material for such endeavors. I figure it might happen when the influx of money from current ventures begins to trickle off.
    Hopefully someone won't get their hands on that stuff and try to make films out of it after G.L. has passed on someday. The results could only be gross shadows of the former glory of SW films.
    However, seeing that material in some sort of printed form someday would be .....interesting.
  9. Doright Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It may be possible that Lucas will allow someone else to make movies in the Starwars universe in the far future. Ones that take place long after ANH. You never know. Always in motion the future.
  10. Jedi-Sith Jedi Master

star 3
    Hmmm for ages I have hoped this would happen and yes I think it is quite possible... I just thought of something just know when someone said excalibur... I saw an inteview with Mark Hamill a while back that had him saying that George Lucas had asked him if he would like a role as a King Arthur like character handing on the excalibur onto the next generation around the turn of the century.... interesting....

Also I wonder if you have heard my theory on NJO series. One of the problems with the sequels is that the EU might get in the way... I mean, the EU develops all these characters and then they suddenly dont turn up in the new movies? so what do they do? create a series that has a dark twist to it and kill of a lot of these unwanted characters...
  11. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Lucas has also said that he might like to do TV again, so maybe we could be looking at a Star Wars TV series around 2006- who knows.
  12. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A TV series, God I hope not.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    A TV series could be fantastic if done properly, although personally I'd prefer if it was an EU-adpatation series instead of an original series that might contridict things. (Which is why I suggested Episode 7, 8 and 9 should be adapted to take place after NJO).

For a glimpse at how an EU TV show could be pulled off in the form of an epic semi-anthology series, check out my posts (where I eventually map out 7 to 8 seasons worth of episodes) in this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4342973&replies=61
  14. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    EVII-EIX are about Luke rising his son and his son's tempation to the dark side, set circa 20-30 years after EIV.

That's the only 'truth' to the storyline that I've comfered but you don't know with Lucas.

Wheather or not It comes out after EIII or not we'll just have to see.
  15. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Uh, that's fan speculation, JWK.
  16. Keyan_Stele Force Ghost

star 2
    To further clarify my earlier remark in this thread where I said 7-9 being made into movies after Lucas' passing would be a bad thing..... What I specifically mean is that if someone "uncovers" (or just makes up) the 7-9 screenplays or notes that Lucas has laying around and then obtains the rights and then just decides to make the movies, the results would be poor. The movies thus being made without the approval of G.L. would pale in comparison to the prequels (1-3), not to mention the originals (4-6).
    Now if G.L. were to give the info. to a credible director and ask him/her to make 7-9 someday, that would probably be ok. I still think the movies would lack a certain atmosphere that Lucas brings from his creativity and imagination in I-VI, but it would be interesting to see the material presented in an approved manner somehow.
  17. Jedi-Sith Jedi Master

star 3
    Keyan_Stele, I totally agree

Although I want for everything in the world (well almost) for the Episodes VII, VIII and IX to be produced it just wouldn't be right if Lucas didn't do it. I am a great EU fan and cant understand those people in the movie forums dissing EU because it isn't Lucas' work... EU even without Lucas is great however, only Lucas can do the films right....

If he does stop and someone gets the rights to make films of Star Wars then they should get a decent director to make movie adaptions of EU but no the sequel trilogy can only be done by Lucas
  18. dengofett Jedi Youngling

star 1
    if episodes 7 through 9 came out buy the time it took GL to do the OT and the PT episode 7 would be out in 2021 and im not sure but that would put GL at around 70 or 75 maybe hell save 7-9 for his last projects before retirment.it just seems to soon to end the saga with only 6 movies and the huge fan base we all know star wars has it seems thier will be more pressure to do more. when money talks people walk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.