main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After the prequels, it seems that AOTC gets bashed more than TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by colivo, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    After the prequels are finshed now, I've noticed on these boards that many people think AOTC is the worst of the Star Wars movies.

Since 1999, TPM has gotten bashed for Jar Jar and kiddie stuff, and how much a letdown it was after 16 years of waiting. AOTC got its fair share of drubbing with the 'love story' dialogue, but in May 2002 everyone said it is atleast better than TPM.

But lately as I go through the threads here, and read peoples opinions, AOTC is getting buried alot now, even more so than TPM. What happened in 3 years?

Did the TPM get too much of a drubbing, that people are going back to reassess the film? Was everybody too easy on AOTC in 2002, just because it felt like a better movie than TPM? Did ROTS make TPM a better movie because you can go from a 9 year old cute little kid to a guy tries to commit mass-genocide?

I still defend AOTC. I kinda-liked TPM, but had my problems with Jar Jar, and just all the kiddie aspects that weren't needed. I still cringe at some of the love story moments in AOTC, but overall I really liked it. It had a good story, good action, and a great ending. Still doesn't compare to the OT, but that is another story.

So has anyone noticed this about AOTC, or am I way off the mark.

Strilo edit: Please use the thread linked below.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    AFTER ROTS: Is Attack of the Clones a good film or not?

I think the reason you'll see more AOTC bashing now than TPM is because TPM was a lot deeper after seeing ROTS than AOTC was (to me, anyway). I love all three prequel films and will always defend them, but I won't deny that they have their flaws. I always liked AOTC better than TPM, but after seeing ROTS, I like TPM better. You see things in there (especially things like "no one can kill a Jedi") and it really makes you think wow, things sure changed.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it's just that SW films take time for people to appreciate, and TPM is finally being appreciated after an initial knee jerk reaction of negativity. AOTC is now the one that isn't being appreciated, because ROTS is all payoff.

In time people will all see this as one large 13 hour movie, and there won't be this inequity of appreciation.

4. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    What Ousely said.

ROTS_Obi1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.