main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After watching all 6 movies, which battle should really be called 'the duel' now?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CJedi72, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    The duel between Yoda and R2-D2 on Dagobah in ESB. (over the little lamp)...lol:D ...ok but honestly

Honestly I think that the Mustafar Duel shoud be the pinacle of all STAR WARS duels. Alas, it was not. When I walked into the theatre and sat down all I could think about was a HUGE duel at the end of the story with powerful music, a speedy pace and no interuptions. Not to mention expecting 10 minutes of constant dueling. What I got was a moderate to large duel with a fast pace and many iteruptions going back and forward between the Emperor and Yoda and Obi-Wan/Anakin. I'll admit the music was beautiful but still not near my expectations. Definetly needs improvement.

2. Rebel-Hero-Solo

Rebel-Hero-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    I believe the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan still deserves the title of "The Duel." It shows what the whole Saga is about, it also shows what the Dark Side can do to a person. It showed how far Anakin would go to save the one he loves, and how he destroyed a friendship that he spent 19 years building. If that is not epic, what is?

3. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    A duel in which Father and Son fight each other, the winner becoming the new Dark Lord of The Sith.

And ending with the destruction of the most evil being to grace the galaxy as well as his Empire.

4. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Thats not epic, just a happy ending! [face_beatup]

5. Rebel-Hero-Solo

Rebel-Hero-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    Well, if you take into consideration that Anakin thought of Obi-Wan as a father figure you find that the personal relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin in a way surpassess (I could never spell that word, did I get it right this time?) the emotion of the duel between Vader and Luke.

Vader and Luke did have the relationship of father and son, but they did not have the time spent together to form a sort of "bond" that Anakin and Obi-Wan did. That is why there is supposed to be more of an emotional impact in the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

6. Jedi_Master_25

Jedi_Master_25 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    I concur with Rebel-Hero-Solo the battle between obi-wan and anikan is "the duel" it really shows what happens when you turn to the dark side......you will get your legs chopped off and you will loose all of you hair!

7. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    Not exactly what I was going for... Anyways, I can see why people choose the Vader and Luke ROTJ duel rather than Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. I just believe there is more emotion involved in the Ani vs. Obi duel.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Ramred, some dialogue could have added drama to the duel.

IMO, the most visually exciting duel is TPM, the most dramatic duel is ESB and the most impactful duel in ROTJ.

9. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    The Duel that put Darth Vader in The Suit was the stuff of playground legends in the late 70s and early 80s.

To me, it always was and always will be The Duel.

10. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Ramred, some dialogue could have added drama to the duel.

In your opinion. It is one that I do not share. I don't see the need for dialogue in the middle of a duel. I can see dialogue before or after the fight, but not in the middle. But . . . this is my opinion. And I just don't see how the dialogue in the OT duels made it superior to the ones in the PT duels.

And I also get the feeling that this topic is just another excuse for some fans to declare how the OT is superior to the PT. I realize that I cannot stop it, but I do find it increasingly redundant.

11. Jedi_Master_25

Jedi_Master_25 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    if there was diaglog in the fights it would make it a little more interesting.

If the diagloge was about something interesting it would make my interest take a spike.

12. LordHelmet1

LordHelmet1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2006

It depends on the duel and how much dialogue is needed. I love TPM duel, it is action-packed and there is no need to have dialogue, it is just sith vs jedi. I really like AOTC duel with Dooku vs. Kenobi/Anakin/Yoda, that just enough dialogue & action to keep it balanced. Remember this was a fallen jedi, so it was nice to see Dooku taunting Kenobi.

I think ROTS duel between Yoda/Emperor is great, and better than the Mustafar duel. I love The Emperor laughing at Yoda almost living for this situation, and Yoda not taking any **** from him as they go back and forth with Senate Pods. How ironic!

The Mustafar duel with Anakin/Kenobi is a letdown because of the dialogue. I liked the action, but I just felt there needed more dialogue between Anakin & Kenobi. There needed to be some line about QuiGon, or maybe Anakin saying to Kenobi he wishes he were half the jedi QuiGon was. I just feel this duel fell alittle flat compared to the other PT duels.

Now for the OT, I do think ESB is the best, it just has they great combination of dialogue, action, and editing, and I have always loved the set they used on Cloud City. Kershner was able to capture how much more powerful Vader was emotionally and physically over Luke in this duel, and that is missed in many of the other duels in the saga.

So, I do think in some duels, the dialogue is a huge factor in whether I like it or not, and the Anakin/Kenobi in ROTS lacks that great dialogue. IMO.

13. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    The Mustafar duel with Anakin/Kenobi is a letdown because of the dialogue. I liked the action, but I just felt there needed more dialogue between Anakin & Kenobi. There needed to be some line about QuiGon, or maybe Anakin saying to Kenobi he wishes he were half the jedi QuiGon was. I just feel this duel fell alittle flat compared to the other PT duels.

The duel fell flat due to a lack of dialogue during the actual fight? I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me, considering the amount of dialogue that occurred before and after the fight. I get this feeling that many of you want some rehash of one of the OT duels or some Hollywood sword fight of the 1930s or 40s - as if this is the only way that a sword fight should be conducted on screen. And personally, I find that particular scenario nothing more than a tiresome cliche.

14. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    Well, of course the most dramatic duel is the one between Luke and Vader in ESB. I mean what can top:

"No, I... Am your father."

That is one of the most known lines in the world if not the biggest. Yet, Obi-Wan's and Anakin's duel is still in my opinion "The Duel."

I also have to agree with RamRed, there was enough dialouge in the Obi vs. Ani duel. Once again a line that has been quoted since the release in theaters back last May... I can't remember it exactly:

Anakin: "I hate you!"

Obi-Wan: "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you!"

Really, I believe that many duels in here can be considered "The Duel," which is not a bad thing but rather a good thing in my opinion.

15. LordHelmet1

LordHelmet1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2006

RamRed, can anyone say anything about the duel on Mustafar without it being bias?

I just said I liked and loved many of the PT duels, but the Anakin/Kenobi duel just wasn't that great to me. I just gave one example off the top of my head, I wasn't writing a new script.

So what do you find tiresome, that we don't agree with you 100%? I see so many of your posts, and if they don't fit RamReds opinion, there is some bias we all have for the reasons we dont' agree with you.

I wish you just respectfully disagree with me, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But don't just start inferring that I am some PT basher cause I don't love every duel in the PT.

Here is another opinion I have: I think the ROTJ duel between Vader/Luke is underwhelming too. Is that a tired cliche comment about the OT now? Or is it just my opinion?

Please be fair, Ram Red, your opinion is not the law here, it is just an opinion.

16. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    The last confontation between Vader and Luke[face_mischief]

17. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    THE duel is The Duel - RotS.
    No better duel in Star Wars or any movie IMHO

18. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    After watching all six movies from Episodes 1 thru 6 consecutively, I would have to say that the ROTJ is THE DUEL because it's the very point where the entire saga aims at.

Obi-Wan vs. Vader in Episode 3 was full of drama, excitement, and danger, but it's a close second to Luke vs. Anakin in Episode 6.

19. Master_Bauer

Master_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2006
    I agree that the ESB fight is the best out of the saga, but I think the RotJ fight between Luke and Vader with Sidious in the background should carry the title of 'The Duel'. This is because the whole saga leads up to this point, and there is so much riding on it.

-But the RotS fight is still my favorite.:cool:

20. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Whew. I must not have turned fully to the dark side yet. I've still got my legs...but the hair is going mighty quickly.

Carnage

21. Thank_The_Maker

Thank_The_Maker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2006
    I think Vader vs Luke in ROTJ!

22. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    For me, in my own opinion, the ultimate lightsaber duel, it's a big tie between both the lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith and the lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    IMO, I don't think there is anything shown that changes what "the duel" is. It always was going to be Obi-wan vs. Anakin, and so it is. It was all about anticipation and importance to the trilogy as a turning point.

24. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    The best duel as far as athletics and visual dynamics goes to Duel of the Fates from TPM.

The best duel as far as mood/dialogue/sheer coolness goes to the duel on Bespin in ESB.

Those are just my opinions. I feel the duels in ROTS, while cool, were not as well choreographed or executed as they should have been. Poor editting hurt them a lot.

The duels in AOTC were also unremarkable, and Yoda fighting was cool, but it seemed like a setup for him fighting in ROTS, in reteospective.

The duel in ANH was sort of poor, but it had good dialogue.

The duel in ROTJ was alright, but nowhere near as cool as the ESB duel until that last moment. One epic moment doesn't push it over the top, though.

25. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    For me, The Duel is Vaderkin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS. It was a battle between two different philosophies and approaches to life at the time. Obi-Wan, a paragon of Jedi virtue (for good or ill) and Vaderkin (an example of when your personal boundaries are non-existent). Iconically, it's good vs evil at it's simplest, Sith vs Jedi, former Padawan vs Master/Teacher, brother vs brother, etc, and it's very emotional to boot. Watch the duel in half speed slow motion on your DVD player, and note the facial expressions on the two to see what I mean. It culminates in Vader's birth and the hate that fuels him for the next three movies, and also, Obi-Wan's despair and ultimately his giving up on any chance for Vader's redemption. Imo, this is definitely, THE DUEL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.