Chic, IL After Watching... Speechless...

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by MJedi, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Looks like I'm the first to get home from the midnight showing.

Words fail me...

I am in total shock... :eek: the good kind...

IT'S SO GOOD TO BE ALIVE!! :D :D :D
  2. obi_juan Jedi Youngling

WOW. That completely made up for TPM.
  3. obi_juan Jedi Youngling

Damn. This movie is going to make a LOT of money. Mostly from me.
  4. podracerdave Jedi Master

I am also speechless - WOW! Several parts of the movie gave me chills...Hayden did a great job! I would have cut a few scenes, but for the most part I REALLY enjoyed it.
  5. podracerdave Jedi Master

Did anyone see the digital projection...just wondering how it was?
  6. mmalloy Jedi Youngling

I went to Loews of Woodfield and saw it on the digital projector. Totally amazing. Crystal clear images.
  7. BaseDeltaZero Jedi Padawan

star 4
    After seeing the DP down at the celebration, then seeing EII on the good ol film I will definatly be going to a another theater that has a DP to watch it again.

8. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I saw regular old film at AMC, and several of the background images looked fuzzy to me throughout the movie....I'll have to see it digitally & compare.
  9. MrShiny Jedi Youngling

star 1
    There was absolutely nothing the least bit fuzzy in the digital version. For example on Coruscant you could see the smallest detail in the background.
  10. YodaOnMyLeg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I plan on making a road trip from Indy to Woodfield on Saturday to see it in digital. At C2, there was mention of an additional scene in the digital version. Has anyone seen it on film and on a DLP yet? What is the additional scene?
  11. MJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I saw the digital version last midnight at Loews. Today, I saw the film version at AMC. The landing of Senator Amidala's Naboo cruiser had spots, which are typical of film that's a few years old. The scenes in Padme's apartment were so grainy! Sheesh. It's as if it was deliberately made bad. Well, I'm not watching the film version ever again.

I didn't notice an added scene. I'll have to see the digital version again. :D
  12. danimalicious Jedi Youngling

well, for me, i don't know. I don't quite know what to think. The one criticism that I read most in early reviews was the lack of emotion and heart in AOTC, and to an extent, I do have to agree. Everything else, not so much.

I really liked Hayden as Anakin. While there were about three lines that I wish weren't in there - doesn't "I killed them all" say everything? I mean, jsut in case we thought "all" didn't mean "women and children", he made it a point to tell us. yay. - but really, I thought Hayden did a great job. And so did Natalie. Not to mention, she was hot. ^_^

And I liked the overall story - very cool w/ Palpatine playing both sides against the middle. I mean, *very* cool.

But despite this, for the most part, it seemed like everyone was just there and going through the motions. There's a spark, for me at least, in the original triology, that seems to be missing. I didn't find it in TPM, either, but I kind of thought, well, this is all exposition, and so whatever. But I was expecting heart or passion, even, in ep 2 & 3. And I don't know if I felt it.

But I think now I'm falling victim to what a lot of people fell victim to with regards to TPM. It seemed that a lot of people didn't like it b/c they didn't see what they wanted; they were judging the film based on what wasn't there, rather than looking at what was. I do want to see it again, and I guess that's a good enough sign that I thought it was pretty good, after all.

One thing, though, that I know won't improve in a second viewing is the score. Don't get me wrong, I think Williams is a fantastic guy to write movie scores. And a lot of his earlier work is outstanding. But his later work... it's crap. all crap. In this movie, for instance, it seemed like where there should be music, there wasn't anything. And when there shouldn't, he has some horn doodling and some strings plucking. And for what? They don't sound good nor add anything to the movie. Alternativly, in the asteroid field chase b/w Jango and Obi Wan, I was like, "where's the music?!?", since for the beginning of it, it was silent. And while I appreciate the opportunity to hear the brilliant sound design, it just wasn't quite... I don't know, that exciting. Think about the asteroid chase in Empire - brilliant sequence, and one of my favorites from the entire series, due in no small part to the exciting score. I think a better score could ahve gone a long way in adding emotion and heart and even passion to a lot of scenes that ended up falling flat.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I liked seeing Yoda prove his superiority - not to mention learning about this whole Jedi history: Yoda -> Dooku -> Qui-Gon -> Obi-Wan -> Anakin = very cool - but this duel was so short. I mean, we have this whole movie leading up to this final battle, and Yoda is in a race to the hangar and walks in jsut as Anakin is about to die (and if only they had extended the Dooku/Anakin battle with taht *great* lighting), and within 5 minutes, this graet fight ends with Dooku walking onto his ship. Granted, Yoda had to deal with that pylon, but otherwise, where's the narrow escape? Where's the tension? The fight ends before it really begins and then... it's jsut over.

While I'm thinking of it, I wonder if this lack of tension that I've felt in the movie is only b/c I know what's going to happen (more or less). And so, it's hard to accept a lot when we all know Anakin will replace Dooku in the next movie. My money is riding on the fact that Padme dies, thus pushing young Anakin over the edge.

At any rate, did anyone else notice the score, or was that just me?
  13. MJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I've been wanting to comment on the score... and I do admit I was disappointed that the movie has parts where the TPM score was used. I don't mean those parts that was recorded for AOTC... these were actually recorded for TPM. I can't remember right now which parts had the TPM score, but if you heard it and was familiar with the TPM score, you'd know what we're talking about.

I was also looking for the music during the asteroid chase. My guess is that the sound from those seismic mines would probably overpower the score anyway, although that happened only twice. Still, it would've been nice... just to mirror the asteroid chase in ESB.

Aside from that, though, I think the NEW score is terrific. The Love Theme is so emotional and sad. Hearing the Imperial March as we see the entire clone army is chilling, heralding the birth of the Empire. If the clone troopers' white armor (like a stormtrooper), the Republic Assault Ship's triangular shape (like a Star Destroyer), and the walking AT-TE (like AT-AT's) isn't enough to convince everyone about this... I don't know. :D

Bring on Episode III! :D
  14. JediGemini Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm really still on a Star Wars high. Even though I live in a lot smaller area than Chicago and the fan contingent isn't as high, there was really a great excitment and anticipation in the theatre. People were murmuring around me as the 20th Century Fox fanfare was blasting, "Here it is!" "The three year wait it over!"
    I really, really, REALLY enjoyed this film. I honestly could not believe that I was sitting there about to watch Episode II. In some ways I felt like I had just seen TPM yesterday. But there it was. AOTC.
    Now, I did see it on film and I heard a lot of whispers around me of smudginess and fuzziness, but I really only noticed a few of those things. The story and the action and everything kept me focused on the movie and not the film itself, so it didn't bother me as much as some people.
    But, seriously. I have not laughed so hard during a Star Wars movie. It was seriously funny. I mean, there was some great humor in this thing. Some of the things only people who really knew the movies could get, but it was great!
    And AOTC did a great job of putting storylines together that we had seen in the original trilogy and in TPM and new ones in AOTC. The fact that the clone army and the Jedi worked together is like a one time thing. We saw the real beginning of Palpatine's corruption of Anakin. The rift between Anakin and Obi-Wan. C-3PO's first space flight. The reason behind the masked Boba. And it goes on and on!
    As far as the music goes, I really can't get the love theme out of my head! I'm starting to sing it in solfedge and tinkering on my keyboard trying to figure out the key and the meter! Crazy! I really need to see it again to listen for the problems you guys saw with the lack of music in the asteroid chase. Honestly, I didn't bother me. It also could have been a George Lucas thing, though. John Williams might have wrote music for that, but George didn't want it. Anyway, I loved how he brought back "Duel of the Fates" and the "Imperial March." Too cool.
    Well, I'm glad I was able to get that out!
    I can't wait 'till this weekend to see it again!
  15. KongZilla Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think I've just become to critical in my old age. As cool as the last 40 minutes of that movie were, the homage to Ray Harrihausen with the three arena monsters was truly classic!, the emotional core of the movie just didn't click for me. I could go into a winded explanation but, I'm sure it's been said before. I just like Luke, Han and Leia as characters more than Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme. Is it because I know the outcome for these characters...? Maybe it is. I'm never really worried for them. It's not just the subconscious rule that heroes do not die. It's a more direct knowledge that you know Obi Wan is gong to grow old on Tatooine and Padme' will die soon after the twins are born and Anakin will become Darth Vader.
    I think also that's really what I miss the most. There is no "Darth Vader" in these films. A character that is a physical and emotional threat to our heroes. Maul was just the physical. Dooku didn't have the visual pow of Maul or Vader. And Sidious is hardly in the film at all.
    Speaking of Sidious and Palpatine. I think they dropped the ball by not giving you the reveal that Palps and Sid are one and the same. ESB and AOTC both had unresolved endings. The "Bad Guys" win and nobody gets what they deserve. But ESB at least had the revelation that Vader was Luke's father. I don't understand why Lucas is holding off the Palp/Sid connection. We all know who they are, why not give us the blatantly obvious scene of Sidious taking off his hood or Palpatine putting it on?
    So, while all that seems to be really harsh criticism, I still enjoyed the film for its "Wiz-Bang" factors. To see a Fett use all his goodies and to see the Slave 1 in action was pretty cool. Seeing more of Coruscant was great. Jedi, Jedi and more Jedi was awesome. I never knew there were so few of them. The Lars homestead had me grinning from ear to ear and Threepio and Artoo together again for the first time was terrific!

Got to see it again!
  16. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "It's not just the subconscious rule that heroes do not die."

What? Huh? Heroes die, sir. Sometimes that's the only way they become heroes. There's volumes I could write on this, but since I'm at work (and since you were the first to point out that great Harryhausen tribute) I'll leave it at that for now.

More later, tho... lots more. If you only knew the power of a long-winded Penguin... I may start another thread for this.

-Le Penguin
    "I wanna go home and rethink my life."
  17. synasp Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I just wanted to comment quickly on when Anakin said he "killed them all" then told Padme that included women and children....

I'm not sure about you guys, but when I think of "sandpeople" I think of those guys that shot at the podracers, the ones that tore up 3P0 and were chased away by Obi Wan, etc... I never thought until he said "women and children" that sandpeople had women and children......... maybe because I've just never seen them before, but it was absolutely needed. -if not to stress the brutality of his actions, but to convey the acknowledgement on Anakin's part that killing women and children was horrible.... what I DIDN'T like, however, was that after that point, Anakin is a cold blooded killer.. a murderer... and Amidala was just like "oh, that's okay Anni.. I love you.. I looove you.." ahem.... :p

so I think they did the scene form when his mom died to when he came back perfectly (especially the scene wipe) the only thing I think that scene lacked was when he came back, he should have been caked in dry blood, and it would have been extra nice if the cloth covering his mom was dabbed with some sandpeople blood.... the blood would have represented a perversion of retribution for his mom, and signal a more brutal attack than just with lightsaber (which closes wounds, so no blood)..... I dont know.. maybe that would be a little overdoing it, but I didn't like how killing the sandpeople was so clean.. I really wanted that perversion element, because otherwise we think that killing is not that bad......

yeah, I'm going to stop here so I don't analyze everything.. :p
  18. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Well, I can see the symbolism, but let's face facts: lightsabers rarely, if ever, leave blood... that hangar duel would've looked a lot different if the blades didn't cauterize wounds.

-Le Penguin,
    Who is of the opinion that we're getting beyond first impressions here, so he's off to start another thread...
  19. synasp Jedi Youngling

star 2
    yeah, that's why I wanted blood.... because I think Anakin's murder shouldn't have been as clean as a lightsaber fight. Anakin should have used other force powers... using his lightsaber to kill them all would disassociate Anakin with his actions (like using a blaster)... but to kill with his bare hands is another thing... hm... maybe he isn't suppose to be that bad yet, but killing women and children is pretty bad already....

ah well...... did anyone else realize they had no reason to keep Shimi alive?....... and that her suffering brought him to her in time to witness her death?....... someone must have payed off the sandpeople to torture her.... hmm.... ;)
  20. KongZilla Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I know where you're coming from Le Penguin. I should have been more specific in my use of the word "Heroes". In most of your Action/Adventure movies there is the knowledge that the Hero will win in the end, in the back of your mind. It's not a bad thing. It's how they win that's the exciting part. It's getting so involved in the movie that you're not rationally thinking, "Well, the hero has to get out of this situation because it's only the middle of the film, etc. "

About Anakin and the Sandpeople... Did anyone notice the echoing voice of Qui Gon while Yoda was meditating? Any theories?
  21. danimalicious Jedi Youngling

regarding Qui-Gon's voice, I didn't catch it, but I wasn't listening for it - I will next time (and yes, my earlier comments not withstanding, I want to see it again. ^_^).

Word from the main theforce.net page is that Qui Gon's voice is relevant to the plot of episode 3, or at least it gives away a plot point. Hmnnn...

And I do concede the point about needing to illustrate that Anakin did kill the women and children, in addition to the men. Maybe if the line had been delivered better? I do think that that's one of the few lines that honestly made me cringe when I heard it. Apparently, the scene where he confessed to Padme what he did included more footage, but that it was cut from the final print. Oh well - I guess now I'll *have* to buy the DVD... =P
  22. MJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    After reading about the voice, and watching it again, I did recognize the voice. It was definitely Qui-Gon's. (They actually used Liam Neeson's voice from TPM when he tells Anakin to drop before Maul attacked him.)

However, the "NO!" was Anakin's I think.

I'm not sure about the significance of this... Maybe Qui-Gon, as a voice (like Obi-Wan was to Luke) was trying to stop Anakin from continuing his massacre of the Sand People, and Anakin was resisting it.

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe the book will have more about this.
  23. synasp Jedi Youngling

star 2
    yeah, I noticed someone talking, but I thought it was Obi-Wan in the future..... hm.... I'll look out for it when I see it.. again.... hehe...

hey, when they did the burial scene of Shimi, did you guys notice that huge pit?... it looked like it was just dug.... was it there before Anakin raided the Raiders?... ;)
  24. KongZilla Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That "pit" is the opening above the courtyard to the Lars' home. The one that Luke eventually stands on looking off into the suns set.
  25. synasp Jedi Youngling

star 2
    but it looks like it was just dug (all the soil on the rim).... is it suppose to look like that?...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.