main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL After Watching... Speechless...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MJedi, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavya

Octavya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 1998
    I saw it in digital at Loews as well. The quality was sensational. The days of blobs and splotchy's are gone.

The movie was so overwhelming. I couldn't believe the amount of action, love, despair, and intrigue that was packed into this one. I'll be seeing it again.

-Oct

2. MJedi

MJedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 17, 2000
    About the pit, KongZilla is correct. If you watch ANH again, this is the same pit that Luke looks into when Beru tells him to remind Owen to pick a droid that speaks Bocce. It has always been there.

One thing that I didn't see are the 2 other gravestones before Shmi's death. I didn't see them when Anakin and Padme were walking to the homestead. Are they there?

3. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    I didn't notice if it looked freshly dug myself. Maybe it was because it was freshly dug for the film. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the scenes shot in the courtyard bellow and scenes shot above are in two totally different locations.

I'll have to look for the gravestones as well. I did notice that one was smaller than the other two.

One thing that I was hoping to see but we didn't was the garage entrance to the surface. As much as I loved seeing the old locations I think it would have been cool to see more of the home as well. Oh well. I guess that will remain just a dream. :)

4. naalex

naalex Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 1999
    Hmmmm... there's so much in this movie; it was too hard to digest everything in the first viewing. 3 points:

The last hour or so beginning with the gladiator scene was incredibly intense and fulfilled everything one could ask for in a star wars movie. The yoda battle was short and left me wanting more, but I think Lucas put that there to tempt us for ep 3 rather than to conclude the battle in ep 2. I can't imagine the finals battles in ep 3.

The jango/boba fett thing was the best surprise in the movie. I didn't expect that story line to be so interesting. Anakin lost his mother, so we can't fully fault him for going berserk. Similarly, we can't fault Boba for becoming a bounty hounter. In the beginning, i thought boba fett was going to be an annoying minor children's character, but the scene in which he picks up jango's helmet is powerful.

I don't know what to think about the acting. But, Hayden absolutely redeemed himself in the scene in which he told padme about the slaughter. There were scattered giggles in the audience leading up to that scene, but they shut up pretty quickly. Very intense.

5. synasp

synasp Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    yes yes.. I totally forgot.. some of my friends didn't like the scene where Boba picks up Jango's helmet, but I loved that scene.... how he held it to his head.... wow......... I think Mace is headed for some major beat-down.... ;)

6. danimalicious

danimalicious Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    I agree that Boba vs. Mace would be pretty cool in the next one. But will Boba be old enough to really take on a Jedi Master? Granted, there was the accelerated growth of the clones, but maybe Boba wasn't cloned with that modification? And I can't imagine that #3 will take place more than 5 years after AOTC. But then again, maybe Boba is such a bada$$ that even at a young age, he could take down Mace.

7. synasp

Apr 9, 2002
    yeah, I dont think Boba would be able to singlehandedly take out Mace, but Mace could be weakened somehow... <shrug>..

8. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    In AOTC, Boba was an "Unadulterated" clone, which means he'll grow up normal. But if the next installment is 10 years from AOTC, he should be in his 20's and able to fit in the armor. Poor Mace!!

Mark

9. MJedi

Mar 17, 2000
    While a Boba vs. Mace duel of sorts may be cool, Episode III will take place 2 years after the events of AOTC. So, young Boba will be too young take Mace on.

Besides, Sam Jackson told Lucas he wanted a cool death. I'm not sure if being killed by a blaster would be considered cool. More likely, it will be in a duel with a Sith... Dooku, Sidious... or maybe even Anakin?

10. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    It's been pretty well-established that Mace Windu is second only to Yoda in the Jedi pantheon (perhaps even surpsing him in some points.) I can see only one person capable of taking him down, and that person's name rhymes with Garth Raider.

-Le Penguin
    "Is that him?"
    'Now that'd be some fuc&in coincidence if it wasn't!'

11. synasp

Apr 9, 2002
    I just saw Ep II at McClurg, and I have to say that the difference between ditigal and film are considerable........ yep.....

12. PinkMoonEP

PinkMoonEP Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Just a thought on the Qui-Gon:

I read the book (own it, whatever) and when Anakin kills in that rage, Yoda is meditating and he hears a surge of anger and pain and hears Qui-Gon's voice through the force going "Anakin! Anakin! No!" or something like that and he's totally shocked.

Hope it cleared up anything....

PM

13. MJedi

Mar 17, 2000
    Okay, I just got the screenplay. (It's included in the Art of Star Wars Episode II) It says:

Yoda meditates and suddenly hears a familiar voice, as if from a great distance. It is the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn, filled with alarm.

Qui-Gon: (Voice Over) No Anakin! No! Don't! No!

Mace Windu enters the room and sits down. Yoda opens his eyes and looks to Mace.

Mace Windu: What is it?

Yoda: Pain. Suffering. Death, I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain.

14. obi_juan

obi_juan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Are the tombstones in ANH? I don't remember seeing them.

15. synasp

Apr 9, 2002
    oh yeah, after watching AotC again, I'm sorry to say I am going insane.... that pit was there the entire time, and I just didn't notice it..... I have a bad memory, I suppose... especially with quotes.. hehe... I'll make up quotes that aren't even in the movies, but I'll be convinced they are.. :p

ah well... sorry again.. pit was there all along..

oh, also, the digital version is sooo much better than film.. I think I said that already, but it is.. :D

16. dstagl

dstagl Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    Yeah, digital is better because the resolution is lower so you can't see all of the really bad digital compression artifacts.

Dave

17. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I watched Star Wars again, I was looking for the headstones but did not spot them.

My speculation is that one is Cligg's first wife and another might be a sibling of Owen?

18. Soulraven

Soulraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    In the novel, it mentions that Yoda hears Qui-Gon's voice calling, "No, Anakin! No! Don't! No!"

Yoda knows it's Qui-Gon, and is confused because Qui-Gon is dead, is one with the Force, and "one could not speak from beyond the grave." (so says the book). I think that Yoda knows something he is not telling, though. Here is the last two paragraphs from that scene in the book:

He didn't tell Mace the rest of it, that somehow Anakin's rush of agony manifesting in the Force had tapped into the spirit of the dead Jedi Master who had discovered him. Too much was happening here.

That disembodied familiar voice hung profoundly in Yoda's thoughts. For if it was true, if he had heard what he was sure he had heard...

I think Yoda knows what's going on, or suspects. It's a shock, it hasn't happened before, or rarely, and it's only something Yoda has studied, not seen. Somehow, somewhere, Anakin has opened a door to the other side. He says that he will become so powerful he will even stop people from dying. What if he just finds out how to keep their spirit around, in limbo? That would explain why Obi-Wan, Yoda, and himself are still around for Luke to see at the end of ROTJ. It would also explain why the other Jedi don't disappear when they die. They aren't going to limbo.

Or it could just be midnight, and I could be really tired. :)

19. matt_maul

matt_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001

Just some other random fuel on this fire. My fiancee noticed this, altho I didn't so I had to consult with my downloaded copy. Listen carefully, after we hear Qui-Gon's voice there's another, more haunting, sound that we're all pretty familiar with. I don't want to spoil it, so just listen next time you're watching it and you'll see. Tres cool.

matt.

20. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    It makes me wonder... In showing how powerful the Jedi were at the end of AOTC, what is GL going to come up with to take them out? It can't be just Vader, Tyrannus and Sidious alone... can it?

I guess I really don't want to know.. I'm just sort of thinking out loud. ?? ...by typing it... :)

21. Soulraven

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes, something even more powerful.....the Press. If you haven't been following Holonet News, it is my belief that Sidious is turning the tide of public opinion against the Jedi. Also, by informing them that the Senate is being controlled by a Sith Lord, he is driving a wedge in between them, as well. Just think of the L.A. riots--why hire assassins to kill the Jedi when the general public can be goaded into doing it for free?

The Empire does not take over the Republic, the Republic becomes the Empire. They have already started to give Palpatine more power. He doesn't have to seize control, control is given to him by the blind masses who are more concerned with their personal safety than their personal freedom. Sure, Palpatine's first act was to create a grand army, but who wants to bet his second act was to put guards at all the landing platforms, checking baggage and confiscating knives and nail files? Maybe you can't meet your partying and the landing platform, but have to stay on the other side of security and just meet them at baggage claim? No one had a problem with the Coruscnt Security Act until clonetroopers started randomly stopping transports and searching them. Mas Amedda could have a press conference every week and announce that they have "strong evidence" of new attacks in the future, but can't give specific times or targets.

Start cheering for Dooku now. His little Separtist movement is the seed of the Rebellion against the Empire, without which Luke would probably end up as a comm officer on a Star Destroyer and Han would be killed when he tried to dump a load of thermal detonators without jumping back into normal space.

Did I mention that it's only 1092 days to Episode III? :)

22. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    Soulraven, you're freaking me out, man! Why can't people just learn all their life lessons from Science Fiction and we can start the Federation right now? Oops! Sorry, a Star Trek reference! (Fires plastic phaser at plastic lightsabers hitting KongZilla on his head.)

23. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I wouldn't cheer for Dooku - although I think he might start the Rebellion - but perhaps that isn't a good thing? Look at it this way - the Republic/Empire needs a reason to build forces - the seperatists are the reason now - but Dooku is just doing the bidding of Palpatine. What reason could they need to build the ultimate weapon? Hhhm - what about the threat of the Rebellion? Perhaps all along Palpatine is building the Rebellion just to fuel his own power. Just as he goads Luke to strike him down in Jedi.

It appears to be the nature of the Sith to find a new apprentice and kill their master - Darth tried to do it. Maybe Maul would have if he were around longer, and Dooku certainly tried to do it to Obi-Wan.

I think we'll see every little thing is in accord with Sidious' plans up until the moment that Anakin reawakens and throws him into the shaft.

24. danimalicious

danimalicious Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    I just wanted to agree that cheers ought to be held back for Dooku for the time being. Through Dooku, Palpatine is just using the Separtists to cause the need for his acension to power.

The Separtists are just a tool right now, and once Palpatine is firmly in power, they'll be forgotten and/or killed.

The Rebellion, I imagine, comes from the desire to see the Republic as it once was. Bail Organa will hopefully play a larger role in #3, and will hopefully be one of the few to speak out against the increasing power of Chancellor Palpatine. There's no desire to form an entirely different and separate territory, as the Separatists desire. At least, that's what I'm thinking... ^_^

25. Soulraven

Feb 4, 2002
    I agree that Dooku doesn't really deserve accolades for starting the Rebellion; he is just doing Palpatine's bidding. The fact remains that there does need to be a reversal of fortune in Episode III, with the Republic beomcing an evil Empire and the the Speartist movement becoming the noble Rebellion.

It would seem that the easiest way to get Anakin to fully convery to the Dark Side is to kill off Padme. I think it would be a nice nod to ROTJ to have Dooku kill her, or somehow have Anakin feel that Dooku is responsible for her death. Then there could be a replay of the end scene in ROTJ, with Palpatine encouraging Anakin to give into his hatred, strike down Dooku, and take his place at the Emperor's side.

Episode III should be very interesting. I am already billing it as the best "Star Wars" movie ever. There is a lot that has to happen, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.