main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AfterEffects 3d Compositing + "FireBreath" Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by madhorizons, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    All -
    I decided to attempt to play with AE's 3d space using 2d pix. I also tried, with no tutorials, to emulate a fire blast of one of my fav characters.

Pls review and critique. I know i'm n00bish, so be gentle :p

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B624B2185229AA10

I googled and pulled images of:

* Tokyo skyline
    * Sunset
    * Various characters
    * Various sounds

I took all of them into Photoshop and cut out what i didn't need and export them as .png with transparancy.

2. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    OOOooooooooo :eek:

It's pretty good for a starter. It's not great but it doesn't suck either it's good in its own way.
    I find it rather amusing. :)

3. madhorizons

May 10, 2006
    Hehe....hope that's amusing in a good way. I wish i had exported just the fire breath. You can't see the line detail inside of the glow. Probably b/c of the transfer mode or something...i'm going to redo it. I did up a side by side comparison:

[image=http://www.sounds-n-motion.com/gcomp.jpg]

Things i see i need to do is - make it more linear, and figure out how to get the edges more visible. If i export just the breath comp, you can see the noise and lines a lot better.

EDIT: It's my first time flying solo w/out a tutorial to hold my hand, and I appreciate all feedback (even if Rigon is the only one :p )

4. BigManEntertainment

BigManEntertainment Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    Hi! Just so you know, I love Godzilla, lol. I tried a Godzilla deal once. It was done with action figures infront of a green screen and done with After Effects, you should check it out! It's in the Short Films Section. Really that's pretty cool. I would say to make it look more like the movies there should be some energy stuff around his mouth, I tried it. But pretty cool!

www.freewebs.com/bigmanentertainment

5. xwolverine2

xwolverine2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2005
    so.............

how did you make the firebreath thing?

6. madhorizons

May 10, 2006
    Thanks for your comments, and i agree it needs the energy build up around his mouth, but i have to figure out how. I think i may follow Ryan's energy ball tutorial and modify that. Or i may just continue to play with things to see if i can figure it out on my own. I don't like manuals (even tho i still rtfm from time to time), i like hands-on learning.

I will have to look at the settings. I just started trying tons of different things. Once i get it closer to what i want (and i've been told it should) it looking like, i'll answer. The settings may change totally from what i have. I've already noticed some other things since my original post that i need to modify.

7. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    I'm with wolverine here, how did you do it?

As for the clip, I say it has style. Did you use 3d and the camera function to achieve the blur and motion?

8. madhorizons

May 10, 2006
    I appreciate it.

Yes. I basically took separate image files and followed some of the AE 3d Tutorials in the stickies. I re-did it a little based on an image from Godzilla: Final Wars (Nov 2005) and tried to get it closer to that. If you folks like this one, i'll put a tutorial somewhere in the internet (won't post it here, not StarWars related tutorial).

http://media.putfile.com/Gojira-Breath-Test

Thx guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.