main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends *Afterglow* - A Songfic for all 'ships and eras ... Single post ... Monday, Feb 6

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by oldjedinurse, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Title: Afterglow
    Author: oldjedinurse
    Timeframe: Reader's choice
    Characters: Any SW relationship
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: A songfic for any era.
    Notes: I spend most of my time in the Beyond, but this piece of mushy angst could be placed in any timeframe, with any couple. Thought I would venture here, in case any "Before" enthusiasts might find it enjoyable. ~ oldj ~

[face_blush] Oops! I've made a faux pas by posting this in all three eras! I am locking this thread and heading back to the Beyond... oldj

Based on "Afterglow": Music and lyrics by Andrew Farriss, Desmond Child;
    Desmond Child 2005 Deston Songs (ASCAP).
    Recorded on the CD "Switch" by INXS, 2005.

Afterglow

Here I am
    Lost in the light of the moon
    That comes through my window
    Bathed in blue
    The wall of my memory
    Divides the thorns from the roses
    It?s you and the roses

Sunset on the last day of your life was hours old. I hadn?t bothered to shade the windows, preferring to watch time pass by the arc of Naboo?s moon. Its silver rise against the black reflection of space reminded me of you, of your spirit, now free to soar the galaxy and beyond.

Scenes from our lives flourished in my thoughts. I chose to dismiss the cheerless ones, concentrating on every happy memory I could recall. No need to hold onto the disappointments when happiness far out-distanced them.

You were that happiness.

Touch me and I will follow
    In your afterglow
    Heal me from all this sorrow
    As I let you go
    I will find my way
    When I see your eyes
    Now I?m living
    In your afterglow

Your warmth lingered then and is with me still. That night, when our loss was fresh, I found solace in the sensation and bathed in the light you left behind. Several times, I felt your hand in mine. Reluctantly, I opened my fingers, willing you forward on your journey.

Our child looked at me with your beautiful eyes, telling me that you were not entirely gone. I was not alone. Your legacy was in my embrace.

Here I am
    Lost in the ashes of time
    But who owns tomorrow
    In between
    The longing to hold you again
    I?m caught in your shadow
    I?m losing control
    My mind drifts away
    We only have today
    In your afterglow

Time is a traitor.

What we shared was wrestled out of my grasp. Your life has been confined to holos and historical archives, and the reflections of those who loved you. More of the past vanishes every second. Memories fade. Even those I burned stubbornly into my mind will slowly fall to dust and scatter. This is inevitable, and knowing only increases the ache.

Your future was stolen; your chrono stopped at the edge of time. Our time. My arms clutch your pillow?no substitute for your body, but its scent and form create memories in the present. If I felt your hand on my shoulder or saw your profile darken the moonlit wall, I would cross the mists into madness. I long to come after you, to wherever time has taken my love. If not for the caring of those who share my grief, I might chase your presence into the future. They hold me here, now, when I want to find that place where past and future meet to become the present.

Heal me from all this sorrow
    As I let you go
    I will find my way
    I will sacrifice
    Till that blinding day
    When I see your eyes
    Now I?m living
    In your afterglow

I must release you, or bear this anguish forever. I need your comfort, and once again look into the eyes of our youth and future. I offer myself to their depths, to survive in their light and enjoy your resemblance, until you stand waiting for me.

When the veils are gone
    As I let you go
    As I let you go
    In your afterglow

You have joined with the Force. I must believe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.