main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Today? They did that today? With all the other crap going on, they're expecting attention? [face_laugh]

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I can't wait to see how a song written in three-word, present-tense sentences comes out.

SWpants and draw73 like this.
  3. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I swear this book takes too long to come out. But yeah, we really need a Snoke tease at the end.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    So based on the tweets..
    - An important character will die
    - There will be some big revelation in the prologue
    - There will be Han/Leia scenes
    - Someone important will be in an interlude

None of these are very surprising but they give some ground for speculation :)
    My theory is that Boba Fett will appear in one of the interludes

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Notwedgenotwedgenotwedge. [face_praying]

Wasn't Rax revealed in the Life Debt prologue? It's probably something more about him, or about Jakku.

Unsurprising, but pleasing.

Also unsurprising. Can I hope for Luke?

Could be Fett, but considering we've got a guy wearing his armor in the interludes already I'm not sure on that. Maz appeared in an interlude in Life Debt, so it could be her. Still hoping for Luke.

Barriss_Coffee and Balaaa like this.
  6. Balaaa

Dec 15, 2016
    I feel like they've been setting up Fett's appearance with the Cobb Vanth interludes in Aftermath and Life Debt, but I may be wrong.
    I'm hoping for Luke as well :)

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    If they killed Wedge for the sake of Drama, early the hell on in this continuity. I think that would be absolute garbage.

On the plus side, I don't think that's likely.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Well, it seems whoever apparently dies made the Star Wars Books tweeter emotional, so it's probably a loved character...but that could be Wedge, or Sloane, or one of the main characters. The only ones we know survive for sure are Han, Leia, and Snap (and Luke, if he's in it?). Oh hey, I guess Mr. Bones might die.

9. Balaaa

Dec 15, 2016
    I think Sinjir is a very likely candidate too. With him dying, his redemption story would come to full circle.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Eh, I'm not sure how much I'm really invested in nucanon Wedge. He's a nice guy and all, but the overwhelming majority of the "Wedge" I care about comes from the EU.

my kind of scum and spicer like this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Wedge dying here would put a big ass nail in One Canon so I'd rather he didn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Yeah, cause it's a two year old continuity.

13. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    This book will have an epilogue, right?

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Or a forty year old continuity. Depends on how you look at it I suppose.

15. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    Huh-I haven't read the book yet. Should I? I'm not a Disney canon fan, but I'm going to give a couple new books a try.

The title of the book gets me confused with Dark Empire:Empire's End. Anyone else? Also Galen Erso and Galen Marek. When I am talking about Star Wars with a friend and they say the name "Galen", I'm like, "Which one?"

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd say you should give Aftermath and Life Debt a try. I'd say start with A New Dawn though because a character from the Aftermath Trilogy is introduced and seeing her first appearance enhances the trilogy. It's not essential though.

Sometimes I do get confused by the two Empire's End titles. I kind of enjoy that; I feel like it's a good title for a post ROTJ story. Not so much with Galen, but that's because I think of Galen Marek usually as Starkiller so there isn't as much confusion with Galen Erso.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I heard on Amazon that Chuck Wendig sucks. Is this true?

Oh, and I'm kind of the same with Galen. If we're talking about New-Canon, I get confused. If we're talking about the EU or general SW then I usually don't.

18. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I disagree with the Amazon reviews. I found his writing style to be fast paced and engaging. Also his characters are well developed and are a great addition to the universe. The first book was a little constrained due to TFA, but the second book had more freedom and Chuck Wendig took advantage of it. He is creating a very interesting story and I'm expecting the payoff in book three to fantastic. Aspects of the books are reminscent of the EU while also being completely unique. The storyline doesn't resemble anything else, but there's something about the tone that made me think of the EU when I was reading.

Taalcon likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I remember Aftermath 1 being unpopular, but Life Debt seems to have a better reputation.

20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    His writing style takes some getting used to, but once you are past that the books are decent. Aftermath is hamstrung quite a bit due to the secrecy leading up to ep VII, but its not bad. Life Debt is quite a bit better.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    People mainly complained about the first Aftermath for two reasons:

1) The writing style (which they should've expected as it's Wendig's staple)
    2) The fact that it was a small story as opposed to explaining the larger details of the galaxy post-ROTJ

2) was rectified in Life Debt, and 1) you just have to get used to.

22. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I feel like the smaller scale for book one works well, especially when combined with book 2. It allows you to follow the cast as they're swept into the wider events. It provides time to get to know the characters on a closer level and see how they come to be involved with wider events. Also, it's cool because book one provides a lot of hints about the wider state of the Empire and then we see it in Life Debt. While the structure may be a result of TFA, Wendig took advantage of the structure and used it effectively.

23. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    So is Wendig's writing style like Stackpole's?

24. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Not really; Chuck Wendig uses third person present tense rather than past tense. He also likes to use short sentences. I can see how his writing style could take some adjusting to, if you're not use to it, but once you do, it's pretty well done. Wendig uses his writing style effectively and it can be quite cintematic at times. I'd say Chuck Wendig is definitely a good writer.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    My bet is on Wedge, We don't see him in TFA, and when Leia formed the Resistance in Bloodline he was also absent. And Wedge even in Aftermath is pretty close with Leia, so I fear the worst. It could be Norra though.