main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My bet is on Wedge.

But it's reluctantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I really don't want Star Wars to fall into the whole "kill the gay" trope. I'm only okay with Sinjir dying if a lot of other folks die, too. But if he's the only one? I will be extremely upset.

Taalcon and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Maybe the whole team dies, a la Rogue One.

4. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    And TFA!Snap is.... A robot of himself he left behind?

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  5. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    My best guess on who dies:

Rae Sloane, Gallius Rax, & most of the Team (barring Snap & Mister Bones)

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Obviously Snap won't die since he appears in The Force Awakens.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I didn't think I needed to specifically mention Snap as a character alive 29 years later!

Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  8. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    It's not about him being gay. It's about him being an ex-imperial, evil characters who turn good usually die as a final act of redeeming themselves. I'm also sure that several main characters will die.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

On the other hand, if he was a clone using Zahn naming techniques, would he be Snaaap? :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Especially when he's been going through his 'I'm an evil person' belief stage. I'd like him to get some happiness somewhere, before he goes, though.

Balaaa likes this.
  11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
  12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm not saying, but I'm just saying, going by Wendig's Heartland trilogy (which he's pointed people to in the past as a "how I'd write SW" illustration), a lot of people get kinda brutalized in the final installment. Like, beyond Deathly Hallows lot, almost Rogue One lot. Even people who don't die are basically irrevocably changed by what happens, both physically and mentally. For all else Wendig might get criticized for, being daring with his characters' fates is not one of them.

DarthSienna likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, that's not true. The Amazon reviews are a mess, for many, many reasons.

My best advice would be to read a book sample (kindle preview perhaps) and decide for yourself if the writing works for you.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Marswueste, Taalcon, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No.

Taalcon and spicer like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I totally, totally get why this is problematic. However, at the same time, I don't think that a writer can be scared to kill a character, or avoid killing him, just because he's gay, either.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Counterpoint:

Yes.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Counter-counter-point: Up yours Brule.

Playing around aside, the guy did come and do Q&As here for both Aftermath and Life Debt, which he didn't have to.

Yes, his writing style is certainly distinctive and not for everyone but we can do better than 'Wendig sucks', yes?

Karl0413 and spicer like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Two reminders:

I. We have an anti-VIP bashing policy here. Keep that in mind -- you all know full well the difference between criticism and attacks. Saying a person sucks is NOT acceptable criticism.

II. Moreover, we definitely have rules against personal attacks on other users.

So cut it out. I don't care if you're pro-Aftermath or anti, pro-Wendig or anti, the rules apply to everyone.

I trust this won't be an issue any further.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay, how about this:

I think his writing style is bad. I think it's telling that most people are excited about his one-page side stories than the actual plots. There's stuff in his two books that aren't even consistent with each other. I think he's part of a wider cultural trend of using quips and pop culture references and quirkiness in lieu of actual characterization or plots making sense that I really dislike. I think a good deal of the supposed 'controversy' over the books is nonexistent but promoted to make it seem like they're these great works by some benevolent misunderstood genius who only philistines could dislike. And I don't think in 10 years anyone is going to look back and think these books are great milestones of Star Wars literature.

The Bops and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Personally, I suspect that quite a few people we care about are going to die in this book. My predictions:
    • Sloane (let's face it, she has got both Rax and the New Republic gunning for her).
    • Wedge (yeah, there has been a lot of subtle hints that this is Wedge's last adventure).
    • Norra and her husband
    • Rax (well, maybe, we do know the Ravager gets destroyed in the battle thanks to Battlefront but this guy faked his death once already).
    • Sinjir (his character arc is definitely hinting at a heoric sacrifice of some kind).

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Brule -- that's fine from a board rules perspective, yes.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    How angry would y'all be if Ravager was taken out Knight Hammer style, ie through an inside agent, instead of through glorious combat?

23. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I kind of want to see her go down in a blaze of glory as befitting a super dreadnought. Why do you ask? o_O

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I'm okay with all of this, with the exception of wanting Wedge to survive (and if given the option, I'd like Sloane to survive too, but Wedge takes preeminence here).

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Also, while Sinjir is the highest-profile gay character in the Aftermath trilogy, he's hardly the only 'token' one.

Sinrebirth likes this.