main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's all the Tatooine air.

Vialco likes this.
  2. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Despite all the negatives of Chuck Wendig's Aftermath, Mister Bones is a most inspired character creation. Easily my favorite star wars character.

PCCViking likes this.
  3. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Master star 3

Oct 23, 2009
    Finished Empire's End a few weeks ago. I wanted to make mention of how fitting it was for the Emperor to create a kill switch on the Empire so that if for whatever reason he was deposed, no one could rise up and rule in his place. Very fitting given how he ruled the Empire, always pitting his top people against each other. I also really enjoyed the Emperor's celestial stations and his push to explore the unknown regions. I thought this was handled well, as they didn't give much away or go into detail, but it is very fitting for the character.

The battle of Jakku provides a realistic explanation for how the Empire could collapse so quickly after Endor. I sure there were some warlord factions and I hope these get elaborated on, but having the majority of imperial forces essentially self destruct makes the New Republic's early success more believable.

EzraSnoke, Vialco, Stymi and 3 others like this.
  4. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 12, 2017
    I would be very surprised if it wasn't elaborated on in the future.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would say the Emperor's focus on the Unknown Regions may well end up being Snoke-related. Or Snoke adjacent.

Dawud786 likes this.
  6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2013
    So I just finished this book. I had read the first 2 books back to back but I didn't really like Life Debt that much. It was ok but it took me longer than it should have done to read it because I kept losing interest.

This book was good overall though. I loved the political parts with Mon Mothma and I got a classic Bantam era vibe from the part when the crew teamed up with Han to find out why the 5 senators voted against sending the fleet to Jakku.

I liked most of the interludes this time too which is good as I found the ones in the previous books to be more miss than hit. The standout ones for me were the Lando one and the Jar Jar one. (I felt bad for Jar Jar after reading his). The one with Chewie and Lumpy reuniting was sweet too and brought a smile to my face reading it.

As for the main characters, Jas is awesome and I hope she shows up in other stuff further down the line, Sinjir is great with his snark and Bones was funny. Unfortunately though I still found Snap and Nora annoying but at least they didn't argue that much in this one fortunately.

I didn't like the scenes with Niima the Hutt and her creepy slaves though as they felt out of place in Star Wars to me.

The scene with Leia feeling a dark presence reaching out to her (which I think we can safely say was probably Snoke) and Ben moving inside her almost in response, made me wonder if perhaps Ben was always doomed to join the Dark Side even if Luke didn't do what he did. I think TLJ might have implied this too but it's been weeks now since I saw it so it's not as fresh in my mind now as it was.

Near the end it's said that Palpatine had the observatories built before the Empire but I'm trying to think exactly when they would have been built exactly. The Clone Wars maybe?

Anyway all in all this book turned out to be much better than I was expecting. Of the 3 books I would say this is the best one IMO.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    kalzeth and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    @Grievousdude Pablo Hidalgo said when the book released that we should not interpret too much about Leia feeling the darkness and that Snoke wasn't there yet. I think Chuck didn't know too much about Kylo's backstory and prefered to be vague.

And this book said Leia get pregnant in Endor but Bloodline said about a travel some months after their wedding. If Aftermath was right, Leia was pregnant for 1 year so I believe more in Bloodline

8. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Knight star 4

May 31, 2014
    Anyway, Chuck got some guidelines to stick to. So maybe he had to write something about darkness felt by Leia without knowing much about Snoke and Ben later.