main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Life Debt (Book 2 of 3) by Chuck Wendig on July 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 28 and 29:

Damn, Han and Chewie, you've got your work cut out for you. Dismantling inhibitor chips?

Geez, poor Wedge, that interaction with Norra is awkward.

But...Mister Bones. Guess who's back, back again, Bones is back, tell a friend... :D

"I am glad I have no astromech parts. Astromechs are meddling, weak things that remind me of trash receptacles or repositories for human waste fluids. They are nearly as useless as protocol droids, who serve no function at all except to talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk..."

Hmmm, maybe Bones has met 3PO. And maybe we need a Bones/R2 scene. I'd like to see R2's reaction to being compared to a toilet.

Poor Brentin, but some PTSD is to be expected.

I've always been neutral towards Mon Mothma, did not care one way or another, but this chapter...damn I hate that woman.

I love Leia's interaction with her, on calling the entire political process for the bull**** that it is.

"You want to negotiate something that is non-negotiable. Over here is the right thing, the good thing. On the other side is the wrong path. The evil path. We have long fought to be good. To be heroes! But now? You want to negotiate in this middle space. You want to dither about in the grey."

Well said, Leia.

I can't blame Temmin for thinking this "Liberation Day" is a dog-and-pony show and a farce either.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

On the one hand, in Legends, we see Mon Mothma allowing herself to be pushed around by a certain Bothan; on the other hand, in Life Debt, Mon Mothma is acting like more like an Imperial than a pro-democractic Rebel/New Republic leader. To be fair, Leia had her fair share of questionable moments in Legends (cough, cough, Black Fleet Crisis, cough, cough).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I'm sorry, which of my posts are you referring to? The reverse of what?

4. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    KMac? May seem like a silly question, but I honestly can't think what author that's refering to and I I'll probably feel silly when I get an answer.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sorry, this one. I was meaning it'd be nice to see Rebels/Jedi honouring an Imperial. :)

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Ah, aha. I gotcha. Sure, it would definitely be nice to see that. I don't really know of any Imperials with the kind of reputation Ackbar has, though...Rax maybe, but he's behind-the-scenes so they don't know of him. All the others with that kind of reputation are dead, now. I think they did treat Admiral Shale very respectfully; unlike the other Imperial prisoners, Shale was kept in an apartment-like cell and treated very respectfully. That's something, for sure.

Jedi Ben and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  7. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Michael P. Kube-McDowell (Black Fleet Crisis).

8. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is the backcover to Empire's End :D
    [​IMG]

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Rey: "Why's my house on the back cover of a book?"

10. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    No image shown!!! :(

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks. I never would have thought of that. It's been years since I read the BFC.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 30 and 31 and Hosnian Prime interlude:

Holy hell Tolruck is an evil *******. Between this book and what Thane witnessed in Lost Stars, the NEU is doing a great job showing just how sickening some of the Empire's practices really were.

I was hoping that smelly ***hole would get his arms ripped off, but getting choked by a recently freed abused Wookiee was even better.

LOL, therapy Ewoks? So...NOT the ones who are cooking humans as the main course in honor of golden protocol gods?

I see Ben Solo does not even wait to leave the womb before giving his mother hell. Those are some pretty vivid dreams.

And Brentin...what the actual ****.

Yeah, I guess the answer to that is forthcoming.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Lusankya programming anyone?? Took some plot ideas right out of the X-Wing series

PCCViking likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 32 and 33 and the Ryloth interlude:

Poor Jas. Leave it to Han to be the eternal optimist.

And ha, Evaan saying that Leia is a lot more scoundrel than people think. I love the plan to blow off Mon Mothma's dog and pony show and go to Kashyyk.

Glad Cham Syndulla and the Twi'lek resistance got some credit for freeing Ryloth.

Jedi Jessy, Karl0413 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Between this and Bloodline, I'm really disliking nu-EU Mon Mothma. By Bloodline we see just how useless the political system she set up is, and even now, in these early days, she seems overly optimistic and politically naive. The whole Liberation Day show for instance.

But then that's just part of my general discontent with the really short war. I know the RotJ Special Edition had plenty of places in the galaxy celebrating Palpatine's death, but I didn't expect nu-canon to take it quite so literally. If the New Republic is capable, they should be helping to free a smany Imperial worlds as possible. But no, gotta get ready for the party instead. Old EU had plots like this too, I just wish the Aftermath novels seemed less like TFA prequels. RotJ era is already pretty empty, with most of the focus going to TFA and post-Yavin (of course).

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 34 and 35:

Pretty cool to get that back story on Sloane. Now I understand why she supports the Empire. It makes sense that someone would support at least the notion of totalitarian dictatorship if they have had a traumatic experience and have reason to believe such a dictatorship will keep them safe.

I think I could read an entire book of Han and Sinjir going back and forth.

Really, Chuck Wendig, you could write that. With interludes of Mister Bones, R2 and 3PO.

Sweet baby Jesus in a manger, I hate spiders.

But I laughed until I cried at the way they were used.

And then we get this gloriousness:

"There are spiders out there. Not little spiders. Spiders as big as my grandmother. And while my grandmother was a fairly small woman, she was still considerably larger than any other spider ever."

"They're occupied."

"Occupied?"

"Eating stormtroopers."

"Did I mention I hate you?"

"Maybe once or twice."

[face_rofl]

Looks like our heroes are in trouble anyway.

But I have a new standard wish for my least favorite characters and politicians:

May you encounter a hungry Kashyyk spider.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that whole section is brilliant at making you both laugh and squirm at the same time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 36 and 37:

In another franchise I would have expected Sloane's comments on the parade spectacle to be followed with "You damn kids get off my lawn." But in this franchise it works, and I sympathize, especially given Mon Mothma's attitude.

Rax, you creepy ****. Get eaten by a Kashyyk spider already.

Chandrila got attacked by a bioweapon in the old EU. I guess Chandrila is the main windshield for all the Empire's bugs.

I love the way Han and Leia understand each other. Han was kicking himself because he had failed at this mission that he felt he had to do, but musing on how Leia would understand why he had to do it--and she had said as much back in her office a couple of chapters ago.

I think the new canon needs a book on Huttese insults. "Yo' mama ****ed a Tusken Raider" is funny but we need more.

I enjoyed the discussion on the Star Destroyer. 'These guys are coming.' 'We can take them.' 'No really, THESE guys are coming.' 'We can take them.' 'BUT...' Until Chewie finally decides, alright, enough bull****, I'm breaking out of here.

Leia going behind Mon Mothma's back to get Wedge AND Ackbar was priceless.

I never thought I would see Leia in more trouble with Mon Mothma than when Mon Mothma tried to arrange her marriage to Fabio.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And the rest of the book:

So Sloane fell off the bridge but DIDN'T die. And Rax has a Kilgrave thing going on with the prisoners.

That did not surprise me but the way it was carried out, did.

Sloane and Norra beating the hell out of each other is something I could see playing out in an entertaining way on screen.

And geez, poor Sloane. The only one left in the Empire with any sense.

Leia may have lost her "political capital" but I'd call it well spent.

I suspect we will see a lot more later about the importance of Jakku. Some ancient Sith temple buried there, reminds me of the scene in Wild Space when Obi-Wan and Bail went to the edge of the galaxy looking for it (although without all the crying that happened in that book). I assume we'll also find out why Lor San Tekka was there and the significance of Rey being dropped off. I just hope there is nothing about anybody being reincarnated.

I ALMOST felt sorry for Rax at the end. Almost.

Great book, I enjoyed it more than the first one (and I enjoyed the first one).

Jedi Jessy, Revanfan1, Giovs and 3 others like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't help but observe that
    There's a hero named RAE on Jakku....

21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Using a very loose definition of "hero"

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I think "anti-villain" would be the more accurate term in this case.

23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    She's a hero to Jello, at least, considering that she's a True Believer in the Imperial ideal.

24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Finished it. Took me 3 days. I couldn't put it down!
    So here are my spoiler free impressions:
    I'm one of those that liked the first book, and that actually liked Wending's writing style (It works great in action scenes, for me at least). But I did get disappointed that there was almost nothing about Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia in that book. So I went in Life Debt with great expectations about the classic heroes, but afraid that I wouldn't get enough of them to satisfy me. Gladly, that was not the case: Han, Chewie and Leia have important and expanded roles in this novels, alongside Wedge, Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar. There's nothing on Luke, just like in Bloodlines, and while I can understand the reason, it does feels strange... there's only mentions of him, but nothing about what he's up to since recovering the Jedi Temple tree in Shattered Empire.
    The core characters from Aftermath are back, and they're just as great as Han, Chewie and Leia, and just as fun to read. They're more of a team now, but there's still a lot of bickering among them. Rae Sloane is great as usual, and we learn just enough about the mysteryous Fleet Admiral to keep us interested in him.
    In the first books of the new canon, I complained that none of them felt like they really mattered, nothing really important was depicted in any of them. But I'm glad to see that after the release of The Force Awakens that changed. It's true with Bloodlines and it's true with Life Debt. We get to see how the Empire is holding up, it's plans (or part of them), it's struggles.... and the same holds true to The NEw Republic (And I have to say that I feel that the NR is kind of a let down).
    The one thing that was better in the first book (In my opinion, of course) were the Interludes, only a couple of the new ones got my atention. By the way, I've watched an intervew with Chuck Wending about LIfe Debt, and he informs us that the Interludes were based in the World War Z novel, where the entire books is told in that format, just a fun fact.

So that's about it, it's my favorite book in the New Canon so far, and I can't wait for Empire's End.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Here, here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk