main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Life Debt (Book 2 of 3) by Chuck Wendig on July 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sure there was plenty of that, it just didn't need to be mentioned in the story. Adea made arrangements, we know that much.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Damn, I was not expecting that ending..

Sheev on Jakku?! Nice! What is there? Some lost Sith temple maybe? What do you guys think? I love how this new Canon gives us small news book by book, comis after comics. And it's cool that old characters still have an impact on these new ones. Cannot wait for part 3!'

darklordoftech, Stymi and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was foreshadowing in Rey's Survival Guide:

which talks of surviving Imperials guarding something mysterious.

Maybe Empire's End will have the big reveal?

I would guess that it has something to do with Snoke.

Chris_Fives and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    DAMN! I was about to buy this book about Rey yesterday but thought it will not be worth it! But now you got me curious! Gonna run to my store tomorrow morning hahah

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I suspect it's a map to Snoke. We know that Tashu is looking for something in the Unknown Regions and we know that the First Order is based in the Unknown Regions, suggesting that Tashu is looking for Snoke.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  6. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Interesting...
    Also since the last chapter happened 3 decades ago, what is the actual time of that moment? Clone Wars era? I think I'm a bit confused by the timeline...

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If they're not rounding off, but using a full 30 years, then (assuming Life Debt is close to a year after Endor)- then ROTS is 24 years before, AOTC is 27 years before, and the Moment is 3 years before that.

8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Which is the only problem I have with the book, because the flashback at the end has Palpatine describing himself as an Emperor, and having a face described as pale and craggy, when neither of those things would be true for another six or seven years! Whatthesheev!?

IamZam likes this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

He could be acting confident. After all, everything seems to be proceeding as he has foreseen.

DelRiego likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the author subscribes to the "Sith mask" theory of Palpatine's appearance?

IamZam, DelRiego and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Or maybe it was just an error and he meant two decades.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Or he could have gone by the initial plans for Palpatine's face: normal look in TPM; slightly older, more wrinkly in AOTC (although far from his look in ROTJ); then they decided to go back to the normal look in ROTS before the Force lightning was redirected.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That problem's been bothering me too... If we do another Q&A with Wending, that would be a good question to ask.

14. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I'm hoping Empire's End will show us the peace treaty, and the Galactic Concordance mentioned in the Force Awakens Visual Guide, echoing our very own Treaty of Versailles.

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Hey, not OUR very own; I don't believe Congress even ratified it.

16. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I meant from our very own galaxy :p

Pfluegermeister and PCCViking like this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

How long pre-ROTS was the flashback?

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I am sure Palpatine would have been calling himself Emperor in private long before he announced it publicly. In anycase is Rey's survivor guide worth getting? I didn't bother with it because I didn't think it would add much to the lore (just kind of a retelling of a portion of the movie for younger audiences). Does it add much to the new canon story though?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It adds a bit to Rey's character - seeing things in her own wording, as well as fleshing out Jakku a bit.

20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I doubt it is a map to Snoke. One thing about Palpatine, in both the old and new canon, is that he is very concerned with potential challengers rising to overthrow him. It is why he puts people like Vader and Krennic at odds with each other. It is why COMPNOR and the ISB have their own paramilitary units, to keep the regular army and navy in check and Palpatine encouraged the rivalry between the respective outfits. It is why he commissioned Cylo's cyborg supersoldier program as potential Vader replacements. It is why he has Inquisitors rounding up Force sensitive children and then later disposing of them once they serve their purpose. Palpatine is not going to excavate some stasis tube with some ancient Dark Side ultra-badass in it, he doesn't want to deal with somebody Vader and him can't potentially handle.

Plus, them outright saying saying Jakku used to be a lush, fertile world a thousand years ago and Palpatine's love of superweapons points to something more destructive then some old Sith Lord buried down there.

Darth_Pevra and PCCViking like this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

You're correct, but he also might not intentionally have anything to do with Snoke. It could be a Mummy-type situation where his actions could awaken or strengthen Snoke, depending on Snoke's backstory.

Vthuil, Iron_lord and Karl0413 like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why can't it be...

The map to the first Jedi Temple? Maybe Luke was searching for it for reasons for more than just its history. Something else is there too.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    please let it be something from the force wars or if they want to compact continuity I want Ajunta Pall referenced.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    26 BBY
    7 years

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, if we're being pedantic:

1.) It's not Congress, it's the Senate.

2.) The Senate does not ratify, it provides advice and consent.

3.) The President ratifies, or more properly, signs instruments of ratification.

;)

Pfluegermeister likes this.