main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Life Debt (Book 2 of 3) by Chuck Wendig on July 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, when they aren't being unreasonably obstructionist...

[/politics]

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sometimes not even then. [/UNCLOS reference]

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Hmm so it happens somewhere between TPM and AOTC.

And he already call himself Emperor[face_laugh]

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think he always thought of himself as "Emperor," even when he was Plagueis's apprentice.

vncredleader and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    haha.. that's true! :)

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like "Palpatine" and "Darth Sidious" are both "masks" and his "true self" is "The Emperor". This explains why he's never referred to as anything else in the OT.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  7. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    I agree. I am also really curious about the 3rd book now. I really hope they will explore those times as well.. It seems that Jakku is going to be as important and major as Tatooine ;)

8. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I wonder if Rey was hidden on Jakku because of the Sith temple/dark side power; it could have masked or dulled her Force potential so Snoke couldn't find her.

Chris_Fives and JediMara77 like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  10. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, don't look at me - Nick and I don't do pictures, we're just the writers.

12. Royal42Smallsy

Royal42Smallsy Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    Evening all, finished life debt 2 days after it came out and just been re-reading another book called "Reys survival book"

Same style as the other books (book of the Sith, bounty hunter manuals etc)

In this one it mentions there being a group called the 'dead-enders' on Jakku who are allegedly guarding a secret imperial base under carbon ridge even 29 years after the battle of Jakku.

Thought this was quite interesting after reading life debt and the mentions of something important being on Jakku. Looks like this idea was either pre-planned or an after thought from one of the two books mentioned.

13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Just finished this. Slow going at first, but it really picked up speed towards the end. I kind of liked it (even wrote half a chapter of fanfiction in a Wendig style imitation somewhere halfway through).
    Stray observations:
    -- Malakili was a nice touch. Rotta's back!
    -- The Brentin turnaround was predictable. Less so that all the other prisoners were compromised, too. (What about Chewie et al, though? But I guess they simply weren't in the reach of the activator signal or something.) Where Brentin ends up at the end, though, and with whom... I wouldn't have suspected that. Nice teamup!
    -- Wendig's OCs finally came to life for me in this book. In Aftermath, I still sometimes got confused who all the names refer to at the end.
    -- Of course after finishing this I had to go re-read the last few chapters of "Lost Stars". Ciena's part works well with her complement hiding in the nebula (only that they apparently go BACK to hiding in the nebula after the Battle of Jakku, in the Nash epilogue?)... but then Thane tells Rieekan, verbatim,
    And this is in the immediate lead-up to the battle of Jakku, so definitely after Life Debt.
    So, did the NR keep the whole liberation of Kashyyyk thingy under wraps because some of their best assets going rogue was just too awkward, or what?

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I could kind of tell when reading it that that "never" was going to be trouble down the line. There's a reason why jasonfry is always talking about trying to avoid absolute statements.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps he means nobody in the Odyssean sense.

16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    It could be referring to completely taking over the entire ship. In Life Debt they rushed to the bridge in order to take over the turbolaser batteries. They had to lock down the bridge in order to prevent reinforcementa from arriving. If I remember correctly, in Lost Stars they were attempting to take over the ship so that it could be used by the NR. I believe they sent multiple teams to differemt sections of the shis so thay they would maintain control and be able to fly the Star Destroyer. So maybe the missions were slightly different. I think Lif Debt was only a partial take over. The NR only controlled the bridge and I'm sure the Imperial could have shuthe down the engines and other systems and would have eventually found a way to the bridge

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And I think that this is one of the reasons the Empire fell: Palpatine created distrust and chaos in his own ranks (as can be seen in say the Vader comics), and the entire Empire paid the price. His greed and overconfidence which made him Emperor in the first place, also result in his undoing.

18. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    I think sotrygroup has all of this pre-planned! ;)

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Or the Rebels have done it before, and kept it quiet so they could use the captured ships in false flag operations and the like, similar to Liberator and Emancipator in Dark Empire.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

The one thing I'm seeing over and over across SW media is that the Story Group is doing a stellar job. There's never been a more rewarding time to consume this stuff on release.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The story group is doing a very good job so far. However at the same time things really aren't that difficult to keep track of up to this point. Most of us regular fans are able to keep track of most things so for someone who is getting paid to keep track of it it should be even easier for them.

The real test of the story group will come ten years from now or so when the canon continuity is beginning to near the sheer vastness of what legends had. If they structure things properly it definitely can be kept track of but it will take quite a bit more effort then what is required now.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    That's a really common misnomer. It isn't the job of the Story Group to be the canon police, its their job to keep the storytelling consistent. There's a difference there that most fans miss. Story Group is basically their think tank for new story ideas, for keeping a general picture for the Star Wars universe in mind, and for plotting out where works down the line will go. It's very big picture. Stuff like one line in a novel gets overlooked because its insignificant. It's not the Story Group's job to line-edit every new novel that comes out, its their job to give the novel writer ideas and guidance on where to take their work so that it lines up with the other projects that are happening that may intersect with it IU. If LFL wanted the SG to be the canon police they wouldn't have a bunch of creative minds like Kiri Hart and Rayne Roberts on it.

DoubleSith, Dante1120 and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    but i wish it was the canon police :(

LelalMekha likes this.
  24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So then exactly who are the people that keep track of things like 'you can't have this person in this story because they are supposed to be over here doing this at this particular time'?

I would think both that and helping plan out future stories would fall under the belt of the SG.

25. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    It's a mixture of both big picture story telling and some elements of Canon policing. A guy like Pablo Hidalgo will not only over see general story ideas, but he's the type to know if something works within the timeline. There's been some small inconsistencies, but nothing flat out contradictory. I can believe the Empire slowly closed its grip on kashyyk in the space of time between the Chewbacca comic and Life Debt. The third Reich didn't conquer Europe in a day, neither did the Empire conquer kashyyk. You could even make the argument that they would have pushed for total enslavement of the wookie population in order to get the second death star built in such a short space of time.

Chris_Fives likes this.