main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Life Debt (Book 2 of 3) by Chuck Wendig on July 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Of course, but that's another matter entirely. It's pretty self-evident that a story must stand on its own first and foremost. There rest is fluff. But I love good fluff.

Give me the opportunity to choose between a good story and a good story full of good fluff, and I'll pick the latter.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh I agree. Fluff is what makes a story become a universe inside your head.

LelalMekha likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mean that the story is inaccessible, but that the evident pleasure in the interconnected material is inaccessible. It's a tiered system -- think of it like an in-joke, where only certain people are aware of it. That's great for those who are aware of it, and like I said -- I enjoy catching it too.

But I mean -- it's all well and good for us, here, to be saying it's perfectly accessible to newbies. We can say that, from the comfort of being very conversant EU fans. But that's not how all new people feel. Sometimes people can leap right in, but as the EU went onwards and onwards it became harder and harder. People feel like they're missing half the story, and it turns them off -- especially when they see how much they need to catch up.

I don't think this alone justifies a reboot. I was against the reboot for years. But I think it's something that people have to keep in mind when storytelling -- if you start catering to a narrower and narrower audience, that's a problem.

I agree with you about Aftermath -- I introduced a friend to HttE not too long ago (post-reboot, actually), and she said that she had trouble reading it because she had to look up every third thing and they had massive articles. And I said, "don't worry about it -- nobody knew what a Bimm was when these books came out, just read what the book says and go with the flow." But sometimes people feel like they need to.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have stories like Skyewalkers ever again, I'm just saying that there are different sides to this. Like I said, I still think we can have those.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Nobody knew what a Bimm was for quite a long time after HTTE, either. :p

Jeff_Ferguson and Iron_lord like this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Look at Darth Plagueis. That is jam packed with references and every single normal core fan has loved it.* References made and not understood just go over their heads as long as the story told is engrossing enough.

*As far as I've seen. The RFR team which is usually very dismissive of EU material loved it and the overt references to other material wasn't noticed in the slightest by them

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, people do really like Plagueis for some reason :p That's true.

But it's also taking a marquee title like Plagueis or Kenobi -- something way more main stream than even your casual SW reader -- and then using references in it. It's like how TFA has cute EU references that don't get in the way. I think that's the exception rather than the norm.

And it's not really the references that are the issue, but that extremely developed continuity that's being mourned. Because like I said, you can still have a super referential book -- just look at Tarkin -- today. What I'm saying is that people might've read marquee titles, but the daunting continuity was preventing access to things that weren't one-off stories that people could jump into.

Now things are more open, and we've unfortunately lost that huge body of work (with respect to continuity and interlocking stories) and we may never get the same thing back. That is a loss. But we'll get something good still, I think.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    im hoping LD ends with two things: 1)the identity of the unidentified fleet admiral and 2) the beginnings of the battle of jakku.

8. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Does this book have some sort of summary yet?

9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    yep. This is the one from the Penguinrandomhouse.com

It is a dark time for the Empire. . . .

The Emperor is dead, and the remnants of his former Empire are in retreat. As the New Republic fights to restore a lasting peace to the galaxy, some dare to imagine new beginnings and new destinies. For Han Solo, that means settling his last outstanding debt, by helping Chewbacca liberate the Wookiee’s homeworld of Kashyyyk.

Meanwhile, Norra Wexley and her band of Imperial hunters pursue Grand Admiral Rae Sloane and the Empire’s remaining leadership across the galaxy. Even as more and more officers are brought to justice, Sloane continues to elude the New Republic, and Norra fears Sloane may be searching for a means to save the crumbling Empire from oblivion. But the hunt for Sloane is cut short when Norra receives an urgent request from Princess Leia Organa. The attempt to liberate Kashyyyk has carried Han Solo, Chewbacca, and a band of smugglers into an ambush—resulting in Chewie’s capture and Han’s disappearance.

Breaking away from their official mission and racing toward the Millennium Falcon’s last known location, Norra and her crew prepare for any challenge that stands between them and their missing comrades. But they can’t anticipate the true depth of the danger that awaits them—or the ruthlessness of the enemy drawing them into his crosshairs.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks. So it seems like I have to read Aftermath first, right?

11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    More than likely. This book will build off of it and continue the plot threads from it. If you really wanted to start on this one, you probably could, but you'll miss a lot. Regardless, Aftermath was really good and is worth reading.

my kind of scum and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Listen to the audio book. I did and I don't regret the decision at all. And I'm not overly fond of audio books to begin with

Taalcon and spicer like this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    How anyone can read that last Wendig blog and come to the conclusion he's an ******* is so very... cognitive dissonance-y.

I definitely belief projection exists.

14. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I just hope Wendig doesn't overdue it with the animal metaphors this time

15. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    Just finished the first book and it's literally one of the worst novels I've read in my life. What a garbage writer. I'll definitely be relying on Wookipedia to find out what happens in books 2 and 3.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's... Nice? Constructive. Detailed. Maybe even pithy. This isn't the Aftermath One thread mind you but very nice.

You definitely pushed along discussion in the Aftermath 2 thread. Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Author bashing is not allowed and will not be tolerated. You are welcome to post your thoughts on the merits of a work in the appropriate thread, but we do not tolerate any personal attacks on authors. Consider this your first and only warning.

--Adm. Nick

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Welcome to the board - you've been Nick'd!

Still, here's your answers as to what happens in the next two books: The Empire fights and loses the Battle of Jakku and collapses. THE END.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  19. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to this. BRING. IT. ON!!!!

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Does anyone think that the Ravager will be revealed to have survived that crash?

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    As in, they managed to rebuild it from the Jakku wreck?

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The crash of that ship just pains me so much. It is the death of the Empire, personified by that ship.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Your ship is dead son. The ship has ceased to be. It is an ex-ship. I know a dead ship when I see one. That ship is no use to you dead.

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, ATimson and 2 others like this.
  24. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

[​IMG]

There is definitely a wrecked SSD on Jakku. So unless they pulled a Razor's Kiss-Iron Fist-Second Death scenario I would say no. But then again, they have been hinting the First Order has SSDs in the TFA cross-sections book and other materials.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That someone had to do that diagram is mildly amusing.