main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aftermath of Digital Yoda

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by MrHat, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Agreed Jedi Randy

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Its not that he shouldn't be in the prequels, its just that no character should be in a movie (especially as prominently as Yoda is in AotC) without validating their own screentime.

Yoda having the big fight with Dooku at the end takes away from our main heros Anakin and Obi-wan, it would be like if Captain America showed up to fight GreenGoblin at the end of spiderman. Its a climax to a Yoda movie at the end of a movie about Obi-wan and Anakin.

But additionally, Yoda IS a beloved character with a history (or future depending how you watch the movies) in the saga. So adding in more Yoda without matching the power of his words in ESB and the wonderful things he teaches in that movie waters down his character when viewed as a 6part saga. It adds some fat to the meat that is not nessesary.

Again, I'm not saying Yoda should not be in the PT, only that there should be a good reason why he IS in it. So far everything Yoda has done could just as easily have been done/said by Mace.

3. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    Yoda being one of the only surviving Jedi and yet not having him in the PT could easily be explained. He was on dagobah and Anakin/Palpatine did not know that. Obi-wan never told Anakin where to find Yoda, because he took it upon himself to train Anakin rather then sending him to Dagobah to be trained, because Ben thought he could teach Anakin just as well as Yoda could have. There, simple as pie.

Why write around something like that? That's just excluding him for the sake of excluding him. If we go by your logic then anyone can be left out. Why not leave out the droids and say thay they're with Captain Antillies or talking to binary load-lifters? You've given an example of writing around something, but there's still no hard reason to leave Yoda out of the PT.

And why not use a memorable character that was a beloved part of the OT? The bottom line is that movies are entertainment..... especially SW. IMO there would be an outcry of epic perportions is Yoda was left out of the PT... especially if he was left out in the same manner that RS is suggesting.

But just hanging around making cryptic and generic Jedi comments doesn't really cut it for me.]

So do you want a new Jedi Master to do that? That's like saying Santino shouldn't have been in the Godfather because all he did was stand around and act like a mobster.

The PT is also about the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Sith.... so why leave out the very definition of Jedi? It just doesn't make sense. If you don't like the Yoda lightsaber scene, fine, but don't take that and twist it into not having him in the PT at all.

"great warrior" was Luke's assumption about Yoda

I don't think Luke was meant to be wrong by saying Yoda was a great warrior. Yoda's reply was: "Wars not make one great." which doesn't really imply that Yoda wasn't a warrior.... but that he's not great because of war.... similar examples would be war vets asking not to be called heroes, or Firefighters doing the same....

(I hate using those kind of examples but it's the only thing I can think of....)

I'm sure if C3P0 had a big lightsaber battle in ep3 and did all sorts of matrix style action it would elecit a similar response, but is that really right for SW or C3P0.

I don't agree with you here.... Yoda is a Jedi Master.... he's powerful.... 3PO isn't thought of the same way.....

4. JediRandy

Aug 21, 2002
    So far everything Yoda has done could just as easily have been done/said by Mace.

And vice versa..... why not eliminate Mace and use Yoda? Or beter yet just get rid of all the Jedi and have Yoda sit in a huge leather chair with a gold desk like Scarface?

The fact that Yoda is Jedi (IMO)... and that when he's on screen he pretty much steals the show... he's the oldest and most respected Jedi... he trained Obi-Wan, he trained Luke.... so much goes back to him that to write him out of the movie would be a mistake.

5. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Why write around something like that? That's just excluding him for the sake of excluding him."

No, its simply not including him. You asked how he survived so I supplied an answer.

"If we go by your logic then anyone can be left out."

It would be hard to leave out Anakin and Obi-wan. Palpatine needs to be there at least some of the time, there to be Jedi to die, Bail and the Lars must appear at some point, it wouldn't hurt any for Tarkin and Mon Motha to put in appearance, and someone must carry and give birth to Anakin's children, but otherwise you are correct.

"Why not leave out the droids and say thay they're with Captain Antillies or talking to binary load-lifters?"

GL could just as easily have done that, and it probably would of worked pretty well, I know most people I talked to after TPM were surprised that the droids showed up (but not for the worse). There's certainly a lot of continuity issues resolved, but GL said very early on that the droids were the only characters who would appear in every SW movie, and that they are the witnesses who would recant the tail thousands of years later when Luke and all the others are just space dust.

I'm glad the droids are in it, but I wouldn't have put up any fuss if they weren't.

"You've given an example of writing around something

No, just not writing it in the first place.

but there's still no hard reason to leave Yoda out of the PT."

And I never said that there was, I jsut said that a character should not appear just for the sake of appearing. I don't want token Yodaism, thats giving the people what they want, not what they need (to quote the smartest and ironically cut line from AotC)

"And why not use a memorable character that was a beloved part of the OT?

I agree.

"The bottom line is that movies are entertainment."

I don't think anyone is disputing that. But it doesn't mean that there is no inner logic to movie making. If all GL wanted to do was entertain people and give them what they want, then TPM would of had Anakin and Obi-wan fighting hundreds of clone mandalorians and lots of Darth Maul.

"IMO there would be an outcry of epic perportions is Yoda was left out of the PT"

Its entirely possible, but there is an outcry already about several problematic elements in the PT, and people such as your self say that it is of little consequence and GL is just following his vision. So if GLs vision was not to have Yoda in the PT, then you'd all just have to deal with it. Besides, if the movies were done extremely well, then it wouldn't matter. I like Han solo, but I don't need nor want him to appear in the prequels. The same is true for lots of OT characters.

"especially if he was left out in the same manner that RS is suggesting."

Left out is left out. As long as the continuity is intact then the method doesn't really matter. This way also watching the movies chronologically the surprise is still left in tact for ESB. In the PT Yoda could be talked about a lot and built up as a powerful Jedi, so by the time we meet him in ESB, we're really wodnering what he'll be like.

Most people see the OT as the question and the PT as the answer. I'm the opposite, I see the OT as the answer to the question of the PT. Or at least thats how it should work IMHO.

"So do you want a new Jedi Master to do that?"

Not not at all. I'd like the Jedi characters (yoda or otherwise) to say something of meaning and be strong characters the way Ben was in ANH, Yoda was in ESB and Qui-gon was in TPM.

"That's like saying Santino shouldn't have been in the Godfather because all he did was stand around and act like a mobster. "

Who's santino again? Its been a while since I've seen GF. It would be impossible for me to address this reference honestly.

"The PT is also about the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Sith.... so why leave out the very definition of Jedi?"

But thats the problem, it is left out. Yoda may be there, but his words are empty a

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    How didn't he justify his own screentime?

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I don't feel he said or did anything that was really essential or interesting (by and large). And as I said most of what he says could have been said by anyone (except it wouldn't be backwards)

what Yoda says in ESB, the things he teaches Luke. Thats specific to Yoda. We get the sense that only Yoda could teach these things to Luke (and us). Its not just expositional dialogue "go here you must, find out the answers you shall" etc etc its thoughtful moments that make the audience think about the nature of life etc, its philosophy. Yoda is saying something, he's conveying ideas, not to advance the plot foreward but to elevate Luke and ourselves and in the process deepen his own character. And he's training Luke because nobody else could train Luke.

as always it comes back to an issue of quantity over quality. If Yoda can't give us something in the range of the luminous beings speech, then I'd jsut as soon not have him around. Anyone can provide the exposition, look at Dex. Dex is a character created specifically to provide exposition in an interesting way.

which is not to say Yoda cannot be used to convey exposition, only that he deserves to do more then just that.

8. JediRandy

Aug 21, 2002
    I still don't see this idea RS... I've gotten into the Yoda is like Ghandi argument before and I see it, but the bottom line is that its just different perceptions of the character....

Yes but before that he goes "Great warrior?! Ha!" And there is nothing warrior like or fight oriented in his character or dialogue in any of ESB. Nothing Yoda teaches Luke seems to have any relation to fighting. Yoda is teaching Luke how to master his abilities and be a good person.

I don't think the "great warrior, Ha!" changes the point that I made earlier.... The point of Luke's training was to confront Vader..."You must confront Vader..." there's no way Yoda thought that that confrontation would not be a violent one... how could he? He knew that the Sith had to be destroyed in order for the Empire to be destroyed. Yes Yoda didn't give Luke fighting lessons, but if his lessons aren't a tool for his ultimate confrontation with Vader and Palps, then what were Obi and Yoda hinging all their hope on Luke for? They couldn't have thought that Luke confrontation with the Sith was going to be a Ghandi-like sit down where they discuss their differences.... Yoda knew, as did Obi that Vader and Palps had to be destroyed.

Bail and the Lars must appear at some point

This one does't work for me either. Yoda isn't needed, but Bail and Lars are? At the end of Ep3, they take the twins and say: "take the girl to Senator Bail Organa..... and Obi says: I'll take the boy with me... I know someone who can care for him...."

There you go. The Leia goes to live with a Senator, similar to a life like her mother. And Luke goes with Obi to live a life like his father... neat as pie.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yoda was the one who didn't agree that Anakin should be trained in Episode I.

Yoda was the only one to give Palpatine a weird "what's he up to" look after he insisted that Amidala be protected by the Jedi.

Yoda was the only one who realized that only a Jedi could have erased Kamino.

Yoda was the only one to realise the battle at Geonosis was not a victory.

Yoda is the most inportant Jedi in the preqeuls aside from Obi-Wan and Anakin.

This is just ridiculous. Why not just enjoy the story? Why do you guys have to go so far out of your way second guess everything?

Ohhh I don't like Jar-Jar so he shouldn't have been in the prequels.

Ooooh I didn't like Jake Lloyd's performance so Anakin should have been older in TPM.

Oooh I don't like the way Yoda jumped around, so he shouldn't have been in the prequels.

I would hate to live like that.

10. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "there's no way Yoda thought that that confrontation would not be a violent one... how could he?"

Yet ironically Luke found victory by throwing down his saber.

Its kind of muddled what Obi-wan and Yoda wanted Luke to do since attacking the emperor was supposedly what would turn him to evil, its one of the unfortunate problems with ROTJ.

"He knew that the Sith had to be destroyed in order for the Empire to be destroyed. Yes Yoda didn't give Luke fighting lessons, but if his lessons aren't a tool for his ultimate confrontation with Vader and Palps, then what were Obi and Yoda hinging all their hope on Luke for?"

I don't know. But then again if Yoda was a great warrior why not include scenes of him teaching Luke to duel, or at least have a saber hanging off his belt if only to show that he had one.

"They couldn't have thought that Luke confrontation with the Sith was going to be a Ghandi-like sit down where they discuss their differences.... Yoda knew, as did Obi that Vader and Palps had to be destroyed."

Don't forget that Yoda is on a whole different level then Luke, he can pull off the ghandi thing, Luke is not so powerful. And yet thats exactly what Luke did.

"This one does't work for me either. Yoda isn't needed, but Bail and Lars are?"

Well Luke needs to end up in their care somehow, and even if you keep the Leia secret you have to justify why obi-wan would entrust Bail with her, and show him serving Bail in the clone wars.

"At the end of Ep3, they take the twins and say: "take the girl to Senator Bail Organa..... and Obi says: I'll take the boy with me... I know someone who can care for him...." There you go. The Leia goes to live with a Senator, similar to a life like her mother. And Luke goes with Obi to live a life like his father... neat as pie."

Indeed, and it could probably have worked with a little tweaking, but you would have to justify why Obi-wan picked those people of all people, because if they haven;'t been in it up until that point then they are just a random farming couple, and a random senator. Not to mention there is a lot of dialogue in ANH which addresses a Owen/anakin/Obi-wan history that is not even really explored in the real PT, much less the imaginary Lars free one we are creating right now.

"Yoda was the one who didn't agree that Anakin should be trained in Episode I."

Yes, but nothing came of it, Yoda reversed his descion and by AOTC its kenobi who doubts anakin and yoda and Mace are actually defending him.

"Yoda was the only one to give Palpatine a weird "what's he up to" look after he insisted that Amidala be protected by the Jedi."

Ah yes the famous glance. I still don;t see what the big deal is.

"Yoda was the only one who realized that only a Jedi could have erased Kamino."

No, Yoda was the one who stated it. And the fact that Obi-wan nor anyone else could figure out that the file was erased was kind of sad.

"Yoda was the only one to realise the battle at Geonosis was not a victory."

And yet it was all his doing, so his words are seem empty and hypocritical.

"Yoda is the most inportant Jedi in the preqeuls aside from Obi-Wan and Anakin."

No arguement there.

"This is just ridiculous. Why not just enjoy the story? Why do you guys have to go so far out of your way second guess everything?"

No, I go out of my way to try and ignore the glaring errors but they just draw too much attention to themselves.

"Ohhh I don't like Jar-Jar so he shouldn't have been in the prequels."

Thats too bad. personally I liked Jar jar, I was angered that GL gave up on him and left him on the sidelines in AOTC. I guess you got your way.

"Ooooh I didn't like Jake Lloyd's performance so Anakin should have been older in TPM."

I thought Jake Lloyd was fine. Anakin should of been older to avoid having to switch actors mid trilogy, but Jake Lloyd himself was fine, I have no beef with his performance,

11. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I think Lucas should edit out Chewbacca from the OT completely, as he doesn't really serve the story in any way ;)

12. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    comic relief.

More importantly, he doesn't hinder the story in any way. He doesn't even have dialogue.

13. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    If comic relief is important, then Jar-Jar is vital ;)

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999

[b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Yoda was the one who didn't agree that Anakin should be trained in Episode I.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] Yes, but nothing came of it, Yoda reversed his descion and by AOTC its Kenobi who doubts anakin and yoda and Mace are actually defending him.[hr][/blockquote]NOTHING CAME OF IT? Anakin becomes Darth Vader, you have to [i]keep on watching[/i] to see where things are going. Yoda did NOT reverse his decision, he was out voted by the rest of the Jedi Council when they decided to let Obi-Wan train Anakin. Once that decision was made, it was out of Yoda's hands. Yoda and Mace weren't defending Anakin's arrogance, they were telling Obi-Wan that they have to trust Anakin to make the right choice, despite their reservations, that they can't make these kinds of choices for him, so they have to allow Anakin to learn how to decide his own path.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Yoda was the only one to give Palpatine a weird "what's he up to" look after he insisted that Amidala be protected by the Jedi.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] Ah yes the famous glance. I still don't see what the big deal is.[hr][/blockquote]Don't tell anyone, but Palpatine is really Sidious! :O Yoda is the only one of the Jedi who is starting to peice things together, that's what that "look" is supposed to indicate.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Yoda was the only one who realized that only a Jedi could have erased Kamino.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] No, Yoda was the one who stated it.[hr][/blockquote] :| [blockquote][hr][b]Rebel Scumn:[/b] And the fact that Obi-wan nor anyone else could figure out that the file was erased was kind of sad.[hr][/blockquote]The fact that the librarian couldn't conceive of the possiblity that something that wasn't in the archives could actually exist is supposed to highlight the complacency that can occur in a society that relies more on their records than first hand knowledge. Obi-Wan didn't think of it because he was over analyzing it. That's why it took the truly wonderful mind of a child to see the obvious.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Yoda was the only one to realise the battle at Geonosis was not a victory.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] And yet it was all his doing, so his words are seem empty and hypocritical.[hr][/blockquote]It wasn't his doing, it was Chancellor Palpatine's doing. Since he had emergency powers, he was able to send in the clones as a pre emptive strike against the Separatist. The Jedi, being sworn to protect the Republic had little other choice than to go along with his plans. Every time you saw him during the battle of Geonosis, you could tell he was very troubled by the turn of events he was participating in. This of course all leads up to his words to Luke in ESB about how wars not make one great.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] This is just ridiculous. Why not just enjoy the story? Why do you guys have to go so far out of your way second guess everything?

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] No, I go out of my way to try and ignore the glaring errors but they just draw too much attention to themselves.[hr][/blockquote]What "galring errors"? The idea that Yoda's screentime wasn't justified is simply your opinion. One I personally can't fathom. The way I see it, his screen time was more than justified.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Ohhh I don't like Jar-Jar so he shouldn't have been in the prequels.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] Thats too bad. personally I liked Jar jar, I was angered that GL gave up on him and left him on the sidelines in AOTC. I guess you got your way.[hr][/blockquote]I am mocking the complaints leveled at the prequels by your average malcontent. I for one love Jar-Jar. I am just trying to illustrate the lack of thought in a complaint like that. George didn't give up on Jar-Jar in any way. He was one of the more pivital characters of AOTC, despite his lesser screentime.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Ooooh I didn't like Jake Lloyd's performance so Anakin should have been older in TPM.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] I thought Jake Lloyd was

15. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "If comic relief is important, then Jar-Jar is vital"

and he is, his absents from AOTC was one of the things that hurt that episode.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    3-PO took on that role in AOTC.

17. MrHat

MrHat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2004
    Jar-Jar being absent was fantastic. 3-Po Just sucked in AOTC.

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "NOTHING CAME OF IT? Anakin becomes Darth Vader, you have to keep on watching to see where things are going. Yoda did NOT reverse his decision, he was out voted by the rest of the Jedi Council when they decided to let Obi-Wan train Anakin. Once that decision was made, it was out of Yoda's hands."

Where do you get that from??? Yoda and Obi-wan were alone when they discussed Anakin's future, Yoda was against it, then changed his vote after Obi-wan convinced him

"Yoda and Mace weren't defending Anakin's arrogance, they were telling Obi-Wan that they have to trust Anakin to make the right choice, despite their reservations, that they can't make these kinds of choices for him, so they have to allow Anakin to learn how to decide his own path."

It still ends up being Obi-wan bad mouthing Anakin to Mace and Yoda who are confident that Anakin will do okay, which flies in the face of how TPM ended things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Don't tell anyone, but Palpatine is really Sidious! Yoda is the only one of the Jedi who is starting to peice things together, that's what that "look" is supposed to indicate."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Yoda knows this, but does nothing to stop it, and never mentions it to Mace or Obi-wan, instead he just stands by while Palpatine tightens his grip. Wonderful. I'm liking Yoda more every minute.

"The fact that the librarian couldn't conceive of the possiblity that something that wasn't in the archives could actually exist is supposed to highlight the complacency that can occur in a society that relies more on their records than first hand knowledge. Obi-Wan didn't think of it because he was over analyzing it. That's why it took the truly wonderful mind of a child to see the obvious."

Thats so weak. I understand that that is what GL is going for, but its terrible. Just terrible. Are we going to feel anything for the Jedi when they get wiped out in ep3? They remind me of the Doe-Doe birds from ICE AGE who bumble their way into extinction chasing after a watermelon. Why would we ever root for luke to be a jedi after watching these morons compalin their way into the grave? What makes palpatine so smart if all he did was best some half wits? what makes him so evil if the people he eliminated were't particularly valourous or heroic to begin with?

"It wasn't his doing, it was Chancellor Palpatine's doing."

Yoda was the one who went and got the clones. Further more Yoda and Mace would have been the ones to tell Palpatine about the clone army since they were alone when Obi-wan called the old folks home. Anyways the point remains that they could not put 2 and 2 together to realize what was going on.

That they can't take what they know about kaminio, the erased files, dooku, tyrannus, jango, the cloners, and the military creation act and figure out what is happening. Sad.

"Every time you saw him during the battle of Geonosis, you could tell he was very troubled by the turn of events he was participating in."

Could you??

"This of course all leads up to his words to Luke in ESB about how wars not make one great."

Becuase it was so important to explain that one line, while nearly every line from the OT about the PT has proven half true at best.

"What "glaring errors"? The idea that Yoda's screentime wasn't justified is simply your opinion. One I personally can't fathom. The way I see it, his screen time was more than justified."

By what?

And of course its my opinion, but I'm not going to sit here and list all the flaws with AOtc. Myself and others have explained t

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    No, 3-PO rocked. :)

20. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "this is such a drag" was an inspired bit of humour (sarcasm)

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    "I'm beside myself"

"This is such a drag"

Was inspired. :) (optimism)

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I agree with RebelScumb that its pointless having a character with a lot of screen time who doesn't contribute to the narrative and that Yoda doesn't necessarily do this in the conventional sense of plot advancement. However, the thing about Yoda that I enjoyed in the PT so far is that despite his power, wisdom and experience, he's flawed like everyone else. In the OT he was infinitely wise and presumably infinitely powerful. This was cool, but I think he's now an even better, more interesting character because he's shown his falability. He's had the wool pulled over his eyes by Palpatine, he's made a call about the training of Anakin that's going to cost big and he's going to get his little green arse kicked on some level in Ep 3. Flawed characters, no matter how powerful, are the most interesting. This is why the Anakin/Vader character has had so much mystique over the years and why anti-hero characters are always so intriguing. The falability of Yoda has in my view contributed to the overall power of the SW story and even for this reason alone, he's been worth having in th PT.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999

[b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] NOTHING CAME OF IT? Anakin becomes Darth Vader, you have to [i]keep on watching[/i] to see where things are going. Yoda did NOT reverse his decision, he was out voted by the rest of the Jedi Council when they decided to let Obi-Wan train Anakin. Once that decision was made, it was out of Yoda's hands.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] Where do you get that from??? Yoda and Obi-Wan were alone when they discussed Anakin's future, Yoda was against it, then changed his vote after Obi-wan convinced him.[hr][/blockquote][b]YODA:[/b] Confer on you, the level of Jedi Knight the Council does. [b]But agree on you taking this boy as your Padawan learner, I do not[/b].

[b]OBI-WAN:[/b] Qui-Gon believed in him.

[b]YODA:[/b] The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, [b]grave danger I fear in his training[/b].

[b]OBI-WAN:[/b] Master Yoda, I gave Qui-Gon my word. I will train Anakin. Without the approval of the Council if I must.

[b]YODA:[/b] Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not. [b]Agree, the council does[/b]. Your apprentice, young Skywalker will be.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Yoda and Mace weren't defending Anakin's arrogance, they were telling Obi-Wan that they have to trust Anakin to make the right choice, despite their reservations, that they can't make these kinds of choices for him, so they have to allow Anakin to learn how to decide his own path.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] It still ends up being Obi-wan bad mouthing Anakin to Mace and Yoda who are confident that Anakin will do okay, which flies in the face of how TPM ended things.[hr][/blockquote][b]OBI-WAN:[/b] I am concerned for my Padawan. He is not ready to be given this assignment on his own yet.

[b]YODA: The Council[/b] is confident in this decision, Obi-Wan.

[b]MACE WINDU:[/b] The boy has exceptional skills.

[b]OBI-WAN:[/b] But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him... well, arrogant.

[b]YODA: Yes, yes. It's a flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.[/b]

[b]MACE WINDU:[/b] Remember, Obi-Wan. If the prophecy is true, your apprentice is the only one who can bring the Force back into balance.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] Don't tell anyone, but Palpatine is really Sidious! :O Yoda is the only one of the Jedi who is starting to peice things together, that's what that "look" is supposed to indicate.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] So Yoda knows this, but does nothing to stop it, and never mentions it to Mace or Obi-wan, instead he just stands by while Palpatine tightens his grip. Wonderful. I'm liking Yoda more every minute.[hr][/blockquote]Yoda doesn't know this, he is suspicious at this point. He isn't able to foresee the outcome, because the dark side is clouding everything. In this scene, there is something he can't quite put his finger on. Of course by the time Yoda does figure everything out, it will be too late.[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer (before):[/b] The fact that the librarian couldn't conceive of the possibility that something that wasn't in the archives could actually exist is supposed to highlight the complacency that can occur in a society that relies more on their records than first hand knowledge. Obi-Wan didn't think of it because he was over analyzing it. That's why it took the truly wonderful mind of a child to see the obvious.

[b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] That?s so weak. I understand that that is what GL is going for, but its terrible. Just terrible. Are we going to feel anything for the Jedi when they get wiped out in ep3?[hr][/blockquote]Sure, if we are compassionate. If we are able to see that their faults are the same faults we are all susceptible to as human beings.[blockquote][hr][b]Rebel Scumb:[/b] They remind me of the Doe-Doe birds from ICE AGE who bumble their way into extinction chasing after a watermelon. Why would we ever root for Luke to be a Jedi after watching these morons complain their way into the grave?[hr][/blockquote]Wait, the Jedi are morons, who are complaining

24. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow. There have been emaculant post since I was asked that question Go-mer. Um, well, about Lucas convenient changing of his own words. Iv said this before but its a solid example. Lucas claimed the CT was made for everyone. Children and grownups and everything in between. More than once he has said this and before the theatrical release of the special editions he said it again. The starwars movies are meant to be enjoyed by EVERYONE. Yet, when the toy-driven, uh-oh robots, exsqueeze me, videogame hinting TPM was released with a little fan dissapointment here and there. He simply shrugged and said "These films are for kids."

That is what I thought of when Scum said that. Peace, imout!

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So, let's see some quotes to that effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.