main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist AG88's SW images***UPDATED 30 March 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by academygrad88, May 12, 2005.

1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm impressed that you did it all from the reference pic. Was it Photoshop?

2. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Awesome job! - you should use the pencil more often. =D=

The detail of his body to show the horrid condition of it is wonderful as is his vicious expression, definately capturing the "Darth" aspect. Nicely painted, good colour scheme. Even the bleak environment of the BG seems fitting. I have not played Kotor, but I have become a bit more familiar with a few of the characters since making icons, and I do think that it's a great likeness of the character. I'm just not so sure about the positioning of his left leg (our right). The angle looks a tiny bit awkward since his foot is turned inwards - almost like he's trying to stand on the same line, if that makes sense. The perspective seems off, but I'm having a hard time discerning as to why. :confused:

- Suz ^_~

3. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    You did a great job on his skin!=D= I can also see that you are good at using Painter, I've heard that software befor but I never use it.

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    No, I haven't figured out Photoshop yet. I paint with Corel Painter. I really like that program. It seems way easier to use than PS. It allows you a great variety of brushes, from Acrylics, airbrushes, chalk, charcoal, pencils, felt pens, sponges and watercolor to name a few. Within these categories there are usually a dozen or more variations of brushes. So there are literally hundreds of brush options. For some reason I use acrylics... probably because it was on top of the list.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Thanks! And you have a good eye. That leg gave me the worst time. I had a lot of trouble drawing his foot facing toward me and eventually it ended up turned in a weird way. I need to work on that. Thanks!
    I really like Corel painter. Before I bought it I first used it free for a month from the company here. But if you decided to buy it and if you are a student, I would recommend that you purchase it from a dealer who sells only to student and teachers like The Academic Superstore

It is the same program, but a fourth of the price ($100 instead of $400).

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.

AG88

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    YIKES!!

Perfect image to post just before Halloween, AG88!!

This is gruesome and beautiful at the same time: the dreadful condition of his body is shown just beautifully, with the scars and crevasses and wounds done so realistically; his expression really makes me break out in chills (...or it might be this awful cold...)! I think my only suggestion might be to go even more dramatically with the shadows and light--really punch up the lights and darks, so he's even more scary-looking! For a piece like this, it would really make it pop even more than it already does. Wonderful job, grad!! =D=

FF

6. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks!!

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think I wanted to do that, but I was a little confused as to how to do the shadows since I have at least two, possibly three light sources (like from behind, lightsaber and possibly from the front). I tried darkening it but I don't think that helped:
    [image=http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7613/darthsionshadowsqw4.jpg]

Thanks a lot for your help. I plan on doing some more Sith, so perhaps I will get the lighting down better on the next on.

AG88

7. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    This next pic I did fairly quickly. I think it took about 6 hours. I first drew Nihilus on paper with pencil and pen and scanned it into my computer. I then painted him in. The background I painted also. I think I got his proportions off a bit (I think his head is too big), but I think he turned out alright.

[image=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9564/darthnihiluslowrestu0.jpg]

What do you think?

AG88

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Man, you've really got it bad for the "Bad Boys of the Sith" lately, AG88! ;)

This looks really cool--I especially love the billowing of his cloak/cape back there--beautiful! The pose is awesome, with his saber hand stretched out toward us in a sort of challenge (...runs to hide under the bed...). As to proportions, his head might be a tiny bit large, but I'm not familiar with this fellow and don't know how his helmet/face mask fits onto his form. I think with most of the KOTOR villains, you can't go wrong with the "superhero" body proportions: smallish head on a sort of overdeveloped torso, with big muscular arms and legs. Within reason, of course, depending on how realistic you want to be with it... Great dramatic lighting in this one, too, with the deep darks and the bright reds. Very nice (and yet another great Halloween addition!)!

FF

9. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Great job on Darth Nihilus, AWESOME mask!!!!

10. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    It's been a while since I last looked in here (checking out your thread with my ancient dial-up modem is like wading through treacle) and wow, your work has become very impressive.=D=

Your figure drawing is very good, and your poses are very dynamic and life-like. You've really mastered the trick of digital painting , some of the lighting effects you have going on in your picures are stunning.

The eyes and the gloves of Darth Nihilus are my favourite parts of you recent picture - very realistic, excellent use of lighting, and all in under 6 hours.

Your work seems to be going from strength to strength.

11. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Yeah, I had a weird Halloween idea for a pic that required me to draw a bunch of Sith Lords. I was going to have three ghosts of Sith past looming over Jacen... and I don't know, maybe stealing his Halloween candy. LOL I don't think I will have it done for Halloween though. :p

It is too big. After you looked at it I went back and lengthened his neck a bit and raised up his head. He looks a tiny bit better now.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I really appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks! I am glad you like it.
    Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. I was pretty happy with how this one came out, except that Nihilus appears to have a large head. With practice I should be able to iron out my problems with proportions.

Thanks for stopping by!!

In case anybody wants to see my step-by-step progression of this piece, here it is:
    [image=http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4350/howtonihilistresizedbg8.jpg]
    AG88

12. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Happy Halloween!

[image=http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/866/happyhalloween2006resizwu6.jpg]

AG88

13. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Nice, nice, very nice! Sith are always Halloween-appropriate :D

14. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    That's awesome. Wouldn't be Holloween with out a bunch of Sith.[face_pumpkin]

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah, so this is where we were going, with all the "bad boys!" ;) :D

I really like this--it's a real "rogue's gallery" of Sithliness! Nice work on combining everyone (and btw--have we seen that one of a naked-chested Darth Maul before...? My, my, that's a nice one! ;) ). And Happy Halloween to you, too! [face_pumpkin]

FF

16. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you! They are a scary bunch!
    Thanks! I sure hope these guys don't turn up on my doorstep! :p
    Yep, but I didn't get to finish it. I was going to add a cowering Jacen and have the Sith stealing his Halloween candy. LOL. Come on, really Jacen, you may be strong in the Force, but you don't have the evilness needed to run with these bad boys... yet. ;)

Yep, Darth Maul was one that I did last year. That one I started out with poser and then painted him over. The same goes with Palpatine. All the others I drew from scratch.

Thank you all for your kind words!

Have a wonderful Halloween!!

AG88

17. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    [face_laugh]Oh Darn! I would have really loved seeing Jacen's candy being stolen! :p [face_pumpkin]

18. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Great Halloween image, AG88! Excellent job on all of them.

My Halloween image, unfortunately, cannot be posted on this board, he he.

19. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Yeah, bummer that I can't draw faster, but I think it looks okay the way it is now. So maybe I will make a separate pic with Jacen later on.

Thanks for stopping by to check out my thread![:D]
    Thank you for your kind words.
    :p How come that doesn't surprise me? You have to PM me a link. I check your DeviantArt thread and didn't see it there.

Hey, is it just me, or in my last Halloween pic does it look like Darth Nihilus is patting Palpatine on the butt? [face_laugh] I didn't notice it until now.

AG88

20. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Okay, FalconFan really helped me with this next picture. She not only suggested it, but she gave me feedback along the way. So I want to thank her very much for her assistance.

This is a scene from Bloodlines. I don't think the drawing itself will spoil anything but the explanation I will black out just incase you don't want spoilers.

In this scene Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker are working with the Galactic Alliance Guard and they have captured what they suspect is a terrorist named Ailyn. Jacen starts interrogating her and is being brutal. When Ben balks at his methods, the Jedi sends his apprentice outside. For the next two hours 14 year old Ben has to endure the screams of this woman until Jacen finally 'accidently' kills her.

I did this painting by first drawing it on paper and then scanning it into the computer. I then imported the drawing into Corel Painter and then painted it in.

When you look at it please take into account that this is only the third painting I have drawn from scratch. I am still learning.

[image=http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5634/ben15gi7.jpg]

AG88

21. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Thanks! And you have a good eye. That leg gave me the worst time. I had a lot of trouble drawing his foot facing toward me and eventually it ended up turned in a weird way. I need to work on that. Thanks!

Perspecitve can be such a b**** sometimes. Believe me, I know. :mad: ;)
    -----

OMG! :eek: How could I not reply when I saw this!? This is such a fantastic picture! I don't think anyone could have depicted it any better than that. Poor Ben looks so anguished sitting there! You really make us feel for him since his torment is so solidly shown. You've truly done justice to this scene. Very powerful with the emotion - just beautiful work! =D=

The painting itself is just as good, especially on the environment/setting (texture on the wall & door). Not too shabby for a third try at freehand. :) I'd like to make a note that I think the skin tones are excellent - it's hard to get it to look right (At least I think it is).

- Suz ^_~

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I've been sitting and looking at this since AG88 shared the completed piece with me last night...and it's still giving me chills. **shudders some more** I totally agree with Suz here: the emotion in this piece is right up front, raw and intense--my heart ended up in my throat when I read this section in "Bloodlines," and I have to admit to getting all teary when I saw even the first sketch of Ben in this piece--perfect pose: the body language perfectly illustrates this young man's horror and anguish (great word, Suz--couldn't come up with that yesterday...) as he listens to his formerly-beloved mentor torture the woman to death... :_| :(

The composition is another big kudo here, too: giving that door such dominance in the image only increases the gravity of what's taking place--and the lighting is gorgeous--stark, cold and emminently ominous. Perfect! wicktone would be proud, AG88--and I mean that in all sincerity! :) This is an awesome, emotional piece--great, great job! =D==D=

FF

23. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    I really like your interrogation of Ailyn Vel. the color is very well done. I'm accually working on my own inturpretation of that same scene. I would like your input. it's still a W.I.P. I always find it amazing how two people can have two diffrent visions of the same scene.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You do hands so well.

I'm very jealous.:mad:

25. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Still learning, you say? Don't be so modest. I couldn't tell that you were still learning.