main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist AG88's SW images***UPDATED 30 March 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by academygrad88, May 12, 2005.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo! I'm beginning to see a pattern here! All NJO pieces and I'm loving it! :D

Both of them come across as very powerful and capture the essence of the scenes quite well. The lighting and body postures really makes the mood. The Chewie one is especially powerful for me since well...he was one of my favorite characters. :(

Excellent job and I can't wait to see what else you crank out! :D

Oh, and thanks for the info on Poser. I've been meaning to download the trial for it, but I'm pretty certain I want to pick this program up. ;)

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I just got through reviewing all of your photos and have to say that I love your "cheesy" Luke and Mara pictures.

Your bare-chested/sweaty Luke photos are great :D I love all of the different styles of Mara images and how you manipulate Mark's face.

I absolutely loved how you explained how you created the last picture of Chewie - you put a lot of work into it and the result came out looking great!

Keep up the great work :D

3. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow!!!! This latest is amazing and thank you so much for taking the time to document the process in the creation of this beautiful image. Nothing to it? Yeah right!!! There's so many choices and decisions and alterations here that they are your own images now. And putting the fur onto that model!!! That surely must have taken so long and been so meticulous. Well done! :) It looks really wonderful with some brilliant composition choices, and colour choices.

4. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    Hey AG88! I've seen your Luke/Mara stuff over at SWSB. It's nice seeing your other stuff over here too. I like the "Ganner's Last Stand" and "Sernpidal".

5. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I really like your artwork that you've shared so far. I remember playing around with Poser in Junior High, though I admit I never got past making figures in karate uniforms floating in mid air and calling it "The Matrix", so it's neat to see someone taking advantage of everything this program can do. My favorite pieces are definately your last two. Ganner's death was one of the best moments of the NJO IMO, and I like how you explained how you made your Chewie picture. I look forward to seeing more!

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you HanSolo29, PadmeLeiaJaina, Corellian_Rogue, angel_gidget, and SoloKnight for your feedback. I am glad you liked the latest picture.

Thanks. I am a big Luke/Mara fanfic fangirl. I know most of you all favor the younger Jedi, but I like reading about the more 'mature' Jedi. ;) Sometimes a fanfic really inspires me to make a picture.

Yeah, I stopped posting there because nobody seems interested in fanart... so why bother.

Thanks everybody for all your wonderful comments! :)

I was asked in another Forum is I could make a picture of Jacen enduring the Vong Embrace of Pain. I reread the passage that described it and it said:
    Jason hung horizontally, suspended facedown ? his arms were drawn wide, pulled to full extension and twisted so that his shoulders howled in their sockets? The living machines that tend to his body also plucked out his hairs. All of them: head, arms, legs, pubis, armpits. Eyebrows. Eyelashes.

So here is my version of that scene:

[image=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9692/finalproducttheembraceofpain4z.jpg]

AG88

7. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    You must have those freaky Sith powers that Suz has because here's another pic that I was going to get around to attempting! I have a disturbing love for gore so this one gets a big thumbs up from me! Interesting viewpoint to take...in my head I always pictured it a backshot to show off those aching muscles, but this is quite different. The no hair thing freaks me out though... I think that's what stopped me from doing it (although if I do I'll probably take a bit of artistic licence ;) ) Love the blood detailing, good strong colour but believable, sometimes people make blood far too bright but this looks wonderful. LOL :D You are really on an art boom at the moment aren't you? Producing so much beautiful work for all of us here to marvel at!

8. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Opps![face_blush] Sorry about that. Ummm... maybe you should let me know what other scenes you were going to draw so I don't do the same ones. ;)

Thanks. I tried to make it tasteful, but once I posted it I worried that this might be too graphic for a PG site. I didn't think the Americans would mind, but I wasn't sure how this picture would be accepted by the European audience. Now, Americans probably would be more upset that we see Jacen's male nipple. LOL (reference to the Superbowl fiasco).

I thought about this alot. I wanted to see Jacen's face for some reason and I wanted to see his body. The tricky part was I wanted to do this while maintaining his modesty. Finally I thought the scene would be the Vong 'vines' would be in the process of lowering Jacen to the floor. So he is a bit twisted. I also put the beam of light coming down from the ceiling so I could shadow his groin area so nothing could be seen. I considered puting something in the way, but I thought if I had a 'vine' hanging down from the ceiling in front of his groin area then that might be misconstrued as something else. :p I then considered putting Vergere in the scene, but I decided she was going to be a pain to create, so I abandoned that option.

Thanks. I probably wont have another one for a while since I just got my book The Unseen Queen. Yea!!!***Does a happy dance*** [face_dancing] I will probably be busy reading that this week.

Thank you for your feedback!!

AG88

9. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    *still stares at the picture*
    O M G ! :eek:
    poor Jacen....that looks terrible.

Very realistic, great picture. I love that you are doing EU fanart and you are very good at it. =D= I have nothing against your fanart boom.... :D

10. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Woah. :eek: Suitably creepy NJO art - love the detail on those Vong in Ganner's Last Stand. The murky feel to Jacen in the embrace of pain is fantastic - it hard not to look at that and cringe... poor Jacen.

Awesome stuff - keep up the great work! :D

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh wow, very cool AG88! Out of the entire NJO series, this was one of the passages that made me outwardly cringe. It was really horrible what Jacen had to endure and you captured it beautifully. You can really feel the anguish radiating out from this piece.

The only bit of criticism I would give is concerning the area surrounding his head. It's nothing major, but it's very hard to make out. Maybe that's the whole goal with the murky appearance of the whole thing, but things just appear to get a bit jumbled in that area.

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Jacen in the Embrace of Pain looks fantastic. Love the shaft of light through the middle - it really adds depth and reality to the image.

Looks great =D=

13. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Why is the moon full of stupid blue speckles on the chewie pic? The source has them too. You should've used a different one or taken them out or something. It just looks really strange and sloppy to me.

14. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004

Thank you Chilla. I appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Thank you, KA. If I could draw half as good as you can write I would be working for Lucas right now. :p Thank you for stopping by for a look.

Thanks Han. Jacen?s persona really changed from this experience. I think he is more interesting now. But it remains to be seen if his experience with the Vong made him a better man in the long run. I look forward to seeing how he does in the Dark Nest Trilogy.

Yes, I see what you mean. I think I may have been just a tad bit too enthusiastic in shadowing his face. Did you enlarge the picture as much as you can (and I don?t mean just from the thumbnail)? Click the thumbnail and when you get the larger picture go down to the lower right hand corner and see if an enlarge symbol appears. If it does try enlarging it again.

I think the problem is when I do my picture I do the details while enlarged because my eyesight is not very good. Then when I am done I zoom out and then I snag it off the screen so it wont be such a large file and would be easy to upload on these forums. I think a lot of detail is lost in that process.

I am sure there is an easier way to do that, but I am a complete computer illiterate. I didn?t grow up with a computer and only have been working with these programs for a few months. I only got the internet a couple years ago (just imagine your grandmother getting on the computer for the first time ;) )

But thank you for taking the time to point that out. I will keep that in mind for the next picture I make. I really need to zoom out and check to see how it looks more often.

Thanks Jade. That was my first attempt at a shaft of light. I kept getting frustrated because I am working with a mouse and I couldn?t get them straight. One day I will save enough money to get a Wacom. Then I can use a straight edge. :p I really appreciate your comments.

Hmmm? that is a good question, Omnis. I just used a unaltered photo. I assumed that the speckled appearance was due to the rocky terrain and the shadows that result from it. I didn?t change the moon since I thought an actual photo would be more realistic looking than something I could make up. I will keep that in mind the next time I make up a picture of a moon crashing through the atmosphere of a planet.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

AG88

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I saw this yesterday and didn't have time to reply then...wow...

This is awesome, AG88--I had a picture in my mind very much like this one when I read "Traitor," and you've really captured the grisly situation our young Jedi suffered through... The soft, almost soothing tones you've used are a stark contrast to the scene before us, and your shadowing for Jacen's "modesty" is beautifully handled: we can see the terrible torture without seeing "too much."

This was a very painful and emotional read in the book, and you've captured it with an almost delicate power here. Awesome...and well, well done! =D=

FF

16. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Wow. It would seem we have very similiar ideas on which scenes to do so I'll bet you might like this idea: Jacen in the amphistaff grove as they crawl up his body, trusting him. That is what I planned for my next piece anyway but I think you could probably do it better and faster than I could hope to. I love your NJO series. Great job. Everyone else has already said all the juicy details so I will just add to the thunderous applause.=D=

17. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Oh this is getting downright creepy... that is the NJO scene I wanted to do next. :eek: There are a couple reasons why I haven't started it. First, I am not quite sure what an amphistaff grove looks like and second I thought that might be way to hard to do.

But I do love that scene. When Jacen said he wants the Vong to meet some of his 'friends' and then he calls to him the amphistaffs, it was like he had become some sort of demi-god. It sort of reminded me of the book Dune when the Paul Atreides transforms into Kwisatz Haderach and makes it rain on Arrakis.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try to do that scene next week when I have some free time.

And thank you FalconFan for stopping by and checking out my lastest picture. I am glad you liked it.

AG88

18. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    WOW! Cool art! You surely can handle computercolouring! Your Asajj was cool! =D=

Marmida

19. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks Marmida for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I don?t know how many of you read The Cestus Deception, but I was really intrigued by a scene in that book where the clones are in the shower and one clone drops the soap.

?The soap squirted out of one of his brother?s hands, and Nate caught it. Then, to the amusement of those around him, he tossed the slippery bar from one hand to another like a carnival performer. That action triggered a brief wave of spontaneous silliness and dazzling jugglery as the troopers flipped the bars of soap back and forth to each other??

Anyway, I thought I would make up a picture of A-98 ?Nate?, an ARC Trooper in the shower. Not particularly that scene.

[image=http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/9089/a98nate4vl.jpg]

LOL.[face_blush] I spent 10 years in the military and I never got to see anything like that.

Okay, before you think I am weird. This is sort of an inside joke. An 'Army buddy' of mine told me she was scarred for life when I sent her my picture of Luke meditating in the nude. She said, I'll settle for the shower scene in the Tales comic, "Being Boba Fett".

Well, I don't have that comic, but I figure Boba Fett looks just like Jango Fett which looks just like the clone troopers, so I made up a picture of the scene from The Cestus Deception instead.

The only things that came from photos are the shower and the towels. The men I made myself using Poser 6. I manually adjusted the face variables so the image looked as close to Temuera Morrison (the fellow that played Jango) as possible.

It is a joke people. I don't want to scar you guys for life. ;)

AG88

20. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    LMAO!!! :D Hilarious stuff! The poses and expressions on the two guys in the background are classic...definitely some snapping of wet towels there! :)

Oh and was that section seriously in a book, an actual published one? :eek: Very very bizarre.

21. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Oh yeah, on page 41 of the hardcover version of The Cestus Deception. [face_laugh]

AG88

22. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    And here I was thinking the whole Wes-naked-with-stuffed-Ewok debacle was weird! :p (if you haven't read the x-wing novels that will make absolutely no sense but I guess it's pretty obvious! LOL )

Remind me never to read that novel. :D

23. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Hilarious poster, AG88 [face_laugh][face_peace]
    When reading that part in the book, I didn't really notice it. You made me read it again, lol :D

btw, I really loved the Janson/Kettch-parts in Aaron Allston's X-Wing books... *g*

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    OMG that has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in eons [face_laugh]

BTW the Jacen picture is chilling *Shudders*

I just love how versitle you are. Can't wait to see what you come up with next :D

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

Hmm...I clicked on the thumbnail and positioned the mouse how you mentioned, but I don't see an enlarge symbol. Perhaps it's my browser. Oh well.

Anyway, I totally understand what you mean about working on details close up. I do that a lot myself in my own drawings. Something that I find helps while you're working like this is every once and a while just take a step back from your work and study it from a distance. You don't notice mechanical errors or when something just looks wrong up close, but at a distance, you'll be able to catch it fairly easily.

As for resizing your work, I find that just resizing it in Photoshop using the same proportions works well. I have a set size that I resize all my work to and I've had no problems. ;)

Now for your most recent creation - that's great! It's definitely different from the typical recruitment posters you see, but I like the original idea going on here. I like how you depicted all the bodies very glossy and buff. In a way, it appears that this poster is reaching out to women more than the men. :p