main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist AG88's SW images***UPDATED 30 March 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by academygrad88, May 12, 2005.

1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    :eek:

I was the one who asked ag88 about the Embrace of Pain (I actually have a sock named Embrace-of-Pain) and I am incredible impressed.

The anguish and physical torture that Jacen endured is conveyed very well! :eek:

Thank you very much ag88. Next time I threaten to put someone in the Embrace-of-Pain I'll be able to give them a visual [face_devil] :D [:D]

2. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Ganner's last stand
    Wow. It looks great! I haven't read that book (Traitor), but I do know about that moment, and I love how you were able to capture it. It sounds like an awesome scene to depict and you did it so well. I also think the second version with more Vong added is much better - makes it all the more evident of the weight of the task he was taking on. I can't help but think of Gandalf confronting the Balrog in LOTR when I read "None Shall Pass" (even though that's not exactly what he says in the movie, it still reminds me of it).

Sernpidal
    Yet another pivotal moment out of Star Wars. The images were blended well together in this one, and I like the haziness of the smoke you've applied. Also great pic of Chewie too - 'shaking his fists at the moon' as you said. I honestly thought that that was an actual picture of Chewie you found somewhere and 'pasted' until I saw your 'tutorial'. That's just amazing how you were able to create him like that. Absolute superb work on the fur. =D=

The Embrace of Pain
    You really pick some great moments out, you know that? :D I love your interpretation, and can understand how this may have been tricky to do, with having trying to keep his modesty while in such an angle as you mentioned. C_R is right about the blood - the colour isn't too bright and the cuts themselves are convincing in the way that they were placed and rendered. The idea of torture was brought out excellently, making us (or at least me) really feel for Jacen's situation.

A-98 'Nate' Arc Trooper
    LMFAO!!! That Bar soap scene alone is almost enough to make me go out and by that book. Then I looked at your shower scene which made me crack up even harder - especially with the wet towel snapping in the back. That is definately some funny stuff right there. It's sort of bizzare in a way since I just finished looking at some really dramatic or milestone moments you portrayed before hitting your most recent piece. It's kind of like taking a breather. Anyways, getting to the picture itself, I think that he has a very decent likeness to the actor himself and great work on making his body glisten from being wet. Also some very skillful concealment and placing once again. I keep looking at the guy in particular that was unfortunate enough to get 'snapped' - his reaction is perfect. I love the stuff you can come up with. ;)

- Suz ^_~

3. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you Corellian_Rogue, Corran_Fett, PadmeLeiaJaina, HanSolo29, DarkLadeJade, and YourWorshipfulness for your kind comments. I really appreciate you looking and taking the time to reply.

Zonoma asked if I could do a picture from the book Traitor where Juvenile Amphistaffs wrap themselves around Jacen's body.

I had to reread that chapter a few times. From what I gather, Jacen is wearing a living Vong robe, but he had been tearing off strips from the bottom to patch up the other injured prisoners. The robe regrows, but the book described the Amphistaff vines climbing up his legs, torso and arms, so I thought it would be easier to draw if the robe was short in this scene.

The book says:

Amphistaffs twine about Jacen's ankles and climb his body like vines enveloping a forgotten jungle idol.

When the vines completely cover him like armor he says to the Vong, "I'd like you all to meet some friends of mine."

That was another outstanding moment in the NJO.

Here is my take on that scene:

[image=http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2061/tar0lh.jpg]

What do you think? I did a lot of painting in this picture. The body is from poser and the background jungle is from a photo I manipulated. I drew the Amphistaffs digitally.

Is it too dark or too busy? I am thinking it is too dark.

Here is the same picture that has been run through a Poster Edge Filter to give it more of a comic look: Jacen in the amphistaff grove .

AG88

4. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2003
    Wow! :eek: So much good stuff! I think it's so funny the way you alter the pictures and make Luke buff.... :p

5. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    :eek: What?!? Luke's not buff? [face_shame_on_you] Come on, he looked pretty good while training on Dagobah. ;)

Thanks for commenting. I am glad you like the pictures.

AG88

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Incredible! This is from a completely different angle than I picture in my mind and not how I will draw it when I get some time (yeah right, what's that?) but that is why I love it so much. It is neat to see how others read Star Wars (or anything else for that matter).

It is rather dark but so is the scene so it works out and I love the way it is so busy, it feels as if everything is in motion (which it is).

Thank you for doing this. What is next on the menu at cafe 88?

7. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I don't know. I was asked to make a picture of Anakin Solo's death. I was thinking about doing that. I just don't know if I will be able to get his face right. I have to look at some of the book covers. Then I have to translate that information into the Poser 6 program. That 3D image I did of the clone warrior was managable since the actor that played Jango has very distinct features.

I am glad you liked the picture. I wasn't sure what juvenile amphistaffs would look like, but I thought they might look vine-like when they were not stiffened as a weapon. I was also at a loss as to what Jacen's robe would look like, so I just took a guess and made it look like skins.

Thanks for the feedback!

AG88

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome pic of Jacen with the Amphistaffs! I always loved that part of "Traitor" too--his natural affinity with nature, combined with his new "Vongsense," enabled him to enlist the help of the creatures that had up till that moment been used against him as weapons...very cool! Would have loved to see the expressions on the faces of those Yuuzahn Vong warriors, btw! ;) Great pic!

FF

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...definitely not too busy. I think you have enough contrast between the background and Jacen so that nothing becomes lost within the image. Although, at the same time, I think adding the poster edge filter is too much. It's fine the way you have it right now.

As for the image itself - I think once again, you've done a fine job conveying the scene. I love how you have Jacen's arms raised in acceptance to the amphistaffs. Although, I do want to point out that Jacen does resemble Tom Hanks just a little bit in this image. :p

Great job overall!

10. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks FalconFan and HanSolo29 for your comments.

**Takes a double take at the picture I made*** Darn it HanSolo29, if you never mentioned it I probably would have never noticed. It does look just like him!!! Now that is going to drive me crazy! [face_frustrated]

Man, I spent a long time trying to get that face right. LOL

[image=http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4605/isjacensolotomhanks3sl.jpg]

It looked okay when I had it blown up, but you are right, it does look like Tom when reduced to a smaller format.

[face_laugh]

Thanks for your comments.

AG88

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Better than Jacen looking like Elvis on this cover...

[image=http://www.geocities.com/chronicles_of_elydia/sw/sbspredator.jpg]

:p

12. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    [face_laugh] Thank you. Thank you very much! ;)

Oh man, that is... a really strange rendering of Jacen. Maybe the Japanese artist were told to make him look like a typical American so it was a toss up between Elvis and John Wayne. [face_laugh]

Hey RedGold! It is nice that my best e-friend finally decides to stop by my Art thread. o_O

Of course, I run by you my rough drafts so often, I guess there really isn't any need. :p

AG88

13. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    yeah, sorry, guess I'm not being a good friend... :(

i'm very much looking forward to your next pic!

of course I always get sneak peeks!

14. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I was asked in another Forum to do a picture of Anakin Solo's death. This is my rendering of that moment. I have to tell you that I am not happy with it. I don't think it captures that terrible moment. But it took me a while to make it, so I might as well post it.

[image=http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/1447/123anakinsolosdeath6fq.jpg]

Large Format Version

I also ran the image through a Poster Edge Filter to see what it would look like as comic book art. I think it gives it an interesting look. Just make sure you enlarge the picture as much as possible. For some reason, when I click on the thumbnail my computer only displays a slightly larger photo. I then have to bring my mouse arrow to the lower right hand corner of the picture (Where I signed the picture) and then click on the enlarge symbol that appears.

[image=http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/1169/1anakinsoloposter6es.jpg]

Almost everything I made myself. The only thing that is a photo is the building itself. The Vong I created using my Poser 6 3D program. When I made the Vong I made them nude and I actually painted in the clothing myself using my mouse and the paint portion of my Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 program. All the weapons and armor I made myself by painting them. Here is an example of a before and after shot: How to make a Vong Warrior

If you are wondering why Anakin is glowing it is because that is what is said in the book, Star By Star.

His aura was burning so brightly that he cast shadows behind his foes....[Anakin]took a crippling slash to his thigh... then caught an amphistaff in the ribs...

The book says Anakin was much more torn up than what I pictured, but I thought if I made him too bloody it would be a bit too disturbing. I didn't want to make a snuff picture. At this point of time Anakin is just about to throw the thermal detonator toward the cargo pod full of Voxyn tissue. Tissue that would be used to clone millions of Voxyn if not destroyed.

Anyway, I hope you like it, even if I don't. ;)

AG88

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I love your art, can you do requests also?

Since you are one of the few artists that can do really great NJO art and even do funny or sexy stuff, I´d like to see JAINA SOLO in the BACTA TANK, or before/after the tank, of course without towels :p but for this board a version with towels might suffice, though I always prefered her without O:)

is this possible? or some tenel ka or tahiri pics would rock as well.

16. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Yes, if they are not too complicated and I pretty much only do people, not space battles.

LOL. You know CeiranHarmony, I never looked at your bio before. For some reason I thought you were female, no offense. I guess it was the teddy bear icon that threw me off. So anyway, when I saw your request I thought, "Why would she want a picture of Jaina in the nude?" [face_laugh] Sorry, my bad.

Ummm... I don't know if I could get into making a picture of a nude Jaina. Now a nude Luke, I could do. :p

I was thinking of doing one of Tenel Ka and Jacen. Perhaps that scene from Joiner King where she tells Jacen "play time is over" or something like that. I don't have my book with me to get the quote exact. That would be a nice picture to post over at the Lit Forum 'Sex' thread. ;)

I will let you know if I do make a picture from your suggestions. Thanks for your kind compliments.

AG88

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    it happens to most people, thinking I am female, lol... but it is nice to infiltrate female communities *fg* what I of course would never do :p ;)

I am sure you could do a Jaina, just believe in yourself. and I´d really like the jacen/tenel ka idea you mentioned, hehe... maybe her on her bed in some revealing sexy half-hapan half dathomiri dress? not to mention a whip and some toys in the background that will make jacen think of the embrace of pain again lol hmm.. handcuffs..

also, wouldn´t a Mara/Anakin implied pic be nice for the other sexthread? she pulling him (stilll clothes) into her sleeping area.. hm..

can you recommend any other GOOD njo or post-njo artists? I know some, but the majority does just some sketches that arn´t very good. I don´t dislike them, but they need more training.

btw.. do you know my old art about a naked tenel ka? nothing disturbing seen, everything well hidden by the pose I chose. if you are interested, tell me or PM me, and I´ll give you the link to my photobucket album. some other art that TFN wouldn´t like is there as well O:)

18. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    :eek: CeiranHarmony!! This isn't the 'Sex' thread! [face_laugh] I would venture that a majority of the people in this Forum have never ventured over to the Literature Forum, let alone the 'sex' thread. You are probably freaking them out. LOL.

Oh, McEwok would like that, wouldn't he? I probably would get another Golden Ewok for that picture. ;) Not that I need anymore. Personally, I hate that theory. My Mara would not do such a thing. Why should she, she has the sexy farmboy!

My recommendation would be for you to take a look through this forum. There are artists that are absolutely incredible. Also look at the Request thread:here This has a list of artists that accept requests for art work. They give samples of their work. My favorite artist is Wicktone, but I don't think he is taking any more requests.

by the way, I would love to see your art. You can PM me the link to your drawings.

Thanks again,

AG88

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    hmm freaking them out? lets get FREAKY, yeah hehe..

20. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    **tries to scrub the previous discussions out of her mind...**

Ahem...

I think you did a fantastic job with Anakin Solo's death AG88--it was a heartbreaking moment in the book, and I was one of the fangeeks that actually cried when I read it... You managed to bring out the heroic feel to it without being too graphic about the "damage" Anakin suffered. And I think you did a pretty good job with the Yuuzhan Vong warriors--their faces, stances and weapons all look very believable. I debated having a look at this, since that part of the book was so distressing to me (and still is, on some level--a young teenager making the ultimate sacrifice like this...WAAAAHHH!!)--but I'm glad now that I did: you handled the scene with sensitivity and drama without going overboard on either. Well done!

FF

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001

Heh...didn't mean to make you go crazy thinking about it. :p Just thought it was something to point out. ;)

Although, now after looking at the in-progress image of him, it does look more similar to the book cover. You're definitely right about the scaled down version warping him a bit into looking like Hanks. ;)

Ahh...Anakin Solo. My favorite of the Solo kids and he was killed. :mad:

Ah well, you did a really nice job once again capturing the essence of the scene. The agony on Anakin's face really conveys his struggle and his sacrifice. Nice job! Out of the two, I think the one with the poster effect works best in this case. It really gives it that extra notch to make it look great!

And once again, it's great to see in-progress images! I really need to get Poser. :p

22. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Sorry about that. [face_blush] The Literature Forum 'Sex' thread is probably one the most outlandish thread in the entire TFN site. They come up with some really weird theories over there. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I wanted to do the most intense moments of the NJO. I think the four I did in this series were the top 4. I guess the only other moments that were just as emotional are when Jacen killed Onimi, Jacen saving Luke from certain death and the birth of Ben. But I have no plans on working on those three at the moment.

Thank you. Poor Anakin. Is it just me or did that mission seem really stupid? Okay you destroy the Voxyn tissue, does that mean the Vong couldn't just develop more Voxyn tissue? I would think it would only delay the making of the Voxyn creatures.

But, let's just say it was a mission that needed to be done, did they have to send young kids on a near suicide mission... even if those children are Jedi? But I guess Anakin was at least 16 or 17. When I was 17 I was in the Army, so maybe they were old enough--that is if all the Jedi were in their late teens. I am still upset that he died.:_|

I noticed in your Bio that you are a student. Before you purchase Poser check out the prices at some of the online stores that sell only to students or teachers, like the AcademicSuperStore I mentioned earlier. Sometimes you can get the product for up to half price. All you need to do is fax or mail them proof of your student status. They have information on their site as to what they will accept as proof.

Thank you both for your kind comments.

AG88

23. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Only in your thread AG... hehehehe

;) :p

I think my hubby just volunteered to proof your nude Jaina pic... [face_frustrated]

24. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I am not going to make a nude Jaina!!![face_sick] Luke is the only one I am interested in seeing in the buff. ;) Or maybe Face Loran, Kyle, Kyp, Jacen, Corran, Wedge, or maybe even Streen. :p

Anyway, as you all know I have been using Poser 6 to design 3D figures. Up to this point I have made all the figures individually and then put them together using Microsoft Digital Image Pro (similar to Photoshop). That was hard enough to do. But I wanted a picture of two people embracing and I knew it would be nearly impossible to get their body positions right individually and then put them together. So I tried my hand at doing two 3D figures at the same time with Poser 6 and having them interact together closely.

So this next picture is a bit of fluff and not that complex looking, but it took me a lot of time and effort to get the figures in the right position and look. I am sure you all out there that have been working with 3D design can do it in minutes, but it took me hours. So, I guess what I am saying is 'be kind'. ;)

What I wanted to do is the scene in The Joiner King where Jacen and Tenel Ka get some quiet time together:

[image=http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6703/jacenandtenelkaonhapestuq2nw.jpg]

The figures were designed by me. The background was a photo that I manipulated using Microsoft Digital Image Pro.

AG88

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    That's pretty impressive. I have no idea how that software works so it doesn't take much to impress me :p Jacen/TK art in any form is always a good thing! [face_dancing]

I do wish we got to see TK's face though. She's one of my favorite characters. *Hint Hint*