main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist AG88's SW images***UPDATED 30 March 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by academygrad88, May 12, 2005.

1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Okay, this next drawing isn't mine. It was done by my son who just turned 6 years old. He really wanted to see his work on the computer just like my pictures.

[image=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7850/obiwan8dk.jpg]

I told him he should draw a starship or something he likes, but he said he wanted to draw Obi-Wan or Luke because he knows Mommy really likes them. :p

AG88

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Awww he's great! You've got a budding artist in your household :D

3. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Oh that is too precious! Make sure he knows how much I liked seeing his artwork and tell him that he has a fine eye for detail and seeing how things should be drawn.

4. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks PadmeLeiaJaina and Zonoma. I showed my boy the thread and he had me read what you said twice. He loves drawing, which is good because it is about the only time he is quiet.

He and his brother recently won in a poster drawing contest sponsored by the Department of Energy. My 6 year old got Honorable mention and my 4 year old won first place in his age division (I think he was the only one who submitted a drawing for that age group). So they have to go to some banquet next week to receive their cash awards and certificates. I am so proud of them.

Anyway, I have been working on some coverart for a friend's fanfic. It is called One Night on Kuat and it is written by Arica. It is a sequel to One Night On Wayland which I also made coverart for. Both are L/M romance fics.

Anyway, in this story Luke is captured by a certain redheaded former Imperial assassin.

The bodies were made by poser 6, the spaceship I created by Bryce 5.5 with the exception of the scopes on the wall, which are just photos of osciloscopes I pasted on the wall. Luke's head is from a photo, but his body is poser. Mara's clothing I painted on using Corel Painter IX.

[image=http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/6333/copyofposterkuat0ah.jpg]

AG88

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    LMAO! [face_laugh]

God I love your fanfic covers, that content look on Luke's face is priceless :p Great job on the composition and execution of the cover :)

BTW always happy to encourage younglings to draw, there is as great of need in this world for people to bring beauty into our lives as there is for future pencil pushers.

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]=D=

Oh, yeah! You really have this Luke-and-Mara thing down! I agree with PLJ here--Luke looks like the proverbial canary-eating cat! He certainly doesn't appear to be in any sort of worried state, that's for sure! I love that you have Mara's back to "the camera" here--a nice touch, and the red hair is the give-away on her!

Another great cover, AG88!

=D=

FF

7. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you PLJ and FalconFan. I love doing the cheesy fanfic coverart. It is the least I can do for the wonderful fanfic writers out there that keep me entertained!

Okay, I have another piece of art to show. And I really am not cringing while refering to it as art this time, because I didn't use any photographs for this one! Everything was created by me using various 3D programs and Corel Painter. I painted on Mara's clothing, her knife, most of her hair, the light post, lights and such. I created the city using Bryce 5.5 a 3D Landscape program, and Mara herself I made using Poser 6.

I spent a lot of time getting her face right. I haven't really liked the default face for the poser female. I was looking at a drawing of Mara from a Japanese bookcover as a model and I altered the various aspects of her face to match. I think she turned out pretty good, although I think she looks a little like Agent Scully from X-files.

Anyway, here she is:

[image=http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7166/copyofmarabackground21wa.jpg]

Please let me know where I can make improvements in my painting (mainly the clothing). I think I may have to work on her shadowing a bit.

AG88

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    AG88

Whoooaaaaa! :eek::eek: That Mara ROCKS! Congrats on this great piece! I love her pose, her hair color and the stern/focused expression on her face.

Interesting that you mentioned that you thought she looks like Scully for that's who I thought of also. Course her outfit's too tough for Dana, nor can we expect to see Scully packing that kind of heat :p

GREAT JOB!!! =D==D=

9. Princess_Bunhead

Princess_Bunhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2005
    I love the first one listed! I've seen a lot of Mara/Luke Art, but I think I like that one the most. And I can tell you like Luke....as much as I like Han, hehe

10. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    I like it. Might be surprising coming from me, but I think Mara looks a little heavy up top. Overall quite a nice piece of work. Congratulations, Ag!

11. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work AG88! You're insanely good at this program, your work makes me want to have a go! :D You're really getting such realism in your work and the character is wonderfully grounded in the background...well done! And what a background this is...I love the blue lights along the side there, really gives the image depth. You should be extremely proud of yourself, because all of us are. I can tell your excitement and joy over this piece by the crazy amount of exclamation marks in the title! LOL :D Isn't it just the best feeling when you've achieved something you've worked your butt off at? Congrats and look forward to the next beautiful piece!

12. Ljungberg

Ljungberg Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2005
    AG88, your works is very amusing very different=D= god job..

Those are realy great[face_batting]

13. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you everybody for your kind comments.

Yeah, I really didn't notice it until I did the finishing touches to her hair and worked on the lighting. By then it was too late. There was no way I was going to redo it. :p But I have seen people use that actress to portray Mara in fanfic coverart, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Thank you. I like that one also. I had just gotten my Microsoft Digital Image program and I just discovered filters. I have always favored using a paint filter. There is something about the soft brushstrokes that I like about it. Plus it makes the picture look a bit classier than just cropping and pasting photographs together.

You know, I didn't notice this until AFTER I painted her clothing on. And after I took so much time doing that I didn't want to go back and fix it. I may go back later and see if I can correct that. I am not that good at painting, so I was afraid I would totally screw her up. It is funny, two people mentioned to me her breasts were too big and both of them were guys. Hmmm... maybe there is a reason that Mara is so big. She is an assassin that was working undercover at a Corsucant Hooters Resturant. ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Thank you! I am not as good as Giolon05 with Poser, but I am progressing. Yeah, I do feel good about getting away from the photographs. Now I almost feel like a real artist. :)

Thank you very much. I do love the funny fanfic coverart the best. Thanks!

Thank you everybody for stopping by and commenting.

AG88

14. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hey, that's great. Looks really like Mara. (have never seen X-Files)
    I can imagine it took you long to do this.

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome Mara piece, AG88!! I agree with everyone that it really captures our Mara, with the pose, the expression, and all the ordinance she's sporting! I really like the lighting you've achieved here--very cohesive in the entire piece (figure, background, etc.), and the environment is amazing! Looks like it came out of a game screenshot or something! I love how you've draped her hair over one eye, sort of a rakish styling that really seems to suit her--and the highlighting on the hair is amazing! My, my, my--look how our little girl is progressing...

sniff-sniff

This is just wonderful! =D=

FF

16. MaraJade4S

MaraJade4S Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Wow, AG. She's great! I love her look! One minor thing though: aren't her breasts a little big? [face_worried] But othrer than that... she's a real fighter!

17. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you Chilla, FalconFan and MaraJade4S for your kind comments.

Yes, MJ4S, I realize I made her breasts too big. A few of my other friends also commented on that. Once I painted on her clothes I realized she looked a bit top heavy. I was also told her shoulders were a little low, which I agree. Next time I will make sure I reduce the size of her breasts. Poser must have been invented by men because all the women seem to be well endowed in that respect. :p

Thanks for your comments.

AG88

18. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    My favorite parts are definitely the sheen of the hair (very realistic!) and the awesome, super cool background. I can't do those to save my life!

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    If anything, you're one hell of a spokesperson for this program!
    When my new comp gets here, and I have the funds, I'm definately going to have to check this out.
    Is it wrong that I generally like the romance peices? :p

20. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Big Mara Jade fan. I really like and enjoy your art. Pretty cool update.:D

21. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks Zonoma, TWD, and Jetta for your comments. Yeah, I do love poser. They should give me a job as spokeswoman... I could use the money. :p

This is a background image I am working on for a Fanfic coverart. It is supposed to be Yavin 4. I still need to put in the Gas giant in the sky. Later I will add people in the foreground and the fanfic title.

I made this using Bryce 5.5 and Corel Painter. No photographs were used for this image. I am getting a little better with Bryce. :)

[image=http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/485/yavin4a7ot.jpg]

AG88

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh no, more techno-babble....what's Bryce 5.5?

BTW so far that's looking fantastic - looks just like the Jedi Temple!

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful! I really like this one (and actually, you could say that the bright orange sky is the gas giant, if you didn't want to mess with adding it in...): the stones of the temple building (I'm assuming that's what it is!) are great--some of them look almost glassy in texture--very, very interesting! The foliage coming around from the left side of the frame looks very believable, and I like the little "gate" affair, with the vines, about halfway across... The sense of depth here is very good, with the leafy shrubs in the foreground, the temple wall and "hedge," then the towering mountains in the distance. The lighting seems uniform on everything, which adds a great deal. Wonderful! You should start charging for this work, AG88!! You really are churning them out!

FF

24. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Bryce 5.5 is a 3D landscaping and animation program. It lets you create entire worlds. I can make mountains, oceans, buildings and such. You can check it out here

I have had it since July, but I only just started working with it. I wanted to get the hang of Poser before I tackled another program.

I would definately suggest that if you want this program that you have 512 MB RAM on your computer. 256 MB RAM in the minimum, and that is what I have, but it takes forever to render a picture. It is a nice program though.

Thanks, FalconFan for your comments. I may just leave the sky alone since it is just the background picture. Now I have to make some people to put in the foreground.

I appreciate your comments.

AG88

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Urgh - you make my head hurt by showing me all of these cool programs. I just spent like a 1/2 hour looking through the gallery of images/packs you can purchase and found myself drooling. I need to win the lottery :(