main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AGAIN!!! Who would you like to see writing Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    For novels or comics, I'd love to see:

Peter David and Greg Rucka.

For novels, I'd love to see:

Kage Baker or David Gemmell.

I'll give reasons later. For now, I'm late for class!

2. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    David Gemmell?

Yeah, I guess he'd do pretty well. I've only read one of his short stories, not any of his novels, but he'd be a good choice.

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I didn't know he'd written any short fiction, but he writes straight-up action-packed heroic fiction with a capital HERO about as well as anyone out there, and I'd like to see his take on a Jedi.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Peter David would be a good choice, I like his writing and it would suit Star Wars.

How about Karin Lowachee and/or Allen M. Steele? They're both excellent authors, and I think that they could do something cool.

5. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Jonathen Stroud.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Roger Allen's Corellian Trilogy had all the essential elements of ongoing intrigue and climatic drama. And I liked the maturity and style of Michael McDowell's Black Fleet.

I'm not going to nominate anyone, really, as no matter how good their own material is . . . something happens when they write SW. It becomes simplistic childish fare.

7. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    AGAIN!!! i would like Brain Jaques and Tom Clancy (Clancy would be good at Republic Commando style books with precision and alot of gear to describe, of course he couldnt do as good as Traviss did, GREAT BOOK)

8. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    If there are any Infinities novels, they should be done by Harry Turtledove. :p

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dammit, Mas! Peter David is MY choice!

Mine! Or I will help you not!

10. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I'd like to see PAD novels rather than comics, myself. :D

11. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Mine! Or I will help you not!

Is that the line? I've always thought that it was, "Mine! For I will help you now.".

Anyways, as for the question at hand, I'd have to agree with Excellence. Most (most, mind you) authors seem to lose a little something when coming into the SW universe. That's how I see it, anyway.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    There are two sorts of Star Wars authors. Those who see it as easy-pay hackwork, and those who take it seriously. Traviss, Stover, Stewart, Luceno, Zahn, Allston -- they all do it well (or at least to the best of their abilities. It's the people like Shane&Dix, Sherman&Cragg, KJA and so forth you need to watch out for.

13. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I divide them, as well. Stover and Traviss especially have really impressed me with their SW work. As such, I went out and bought Stover's non-SW stuff awhile back and enjoyed them very, very much. I've also bought Ms. Traviss' two non-SW books, but have yet to get around to them. I'm looking forward to them, though.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Compare Williams and Dix's own material with Force Heretic and there's a galactic difference. When I heard they were doing a SW trilogy, I knew what their Evergence and Orphans trilogies were and couldn't wait for a blast.

The farce, more like. I learnt to temper my hope, and until Del Rey starts realising SW has more than a young readership and fluffy stories, they'll continue to alienate older readers who want more than endless X-wing fights and so on.

They're playing it safe, the fools. Look how many coming books are set in the movie trilogy years and purges. Yet more characters we know can't die or have little survival hope. I flat out refuse to read the Timothy book set after Yavin. Skywalker won't even have the Force. Like the Empire comics, the core cast it will have won't die! Where's the drama!

I don't know when Vos, Secura and Tholme will die---and that's the blast of reading. Dynamic adventures when anything could happen. These are the planners who don't just throw a hundred continuity references like Luceno for no reason, but use them for storyline purposes.

Luceno knows his SW lore, but the ability to overdose the references does not make a fine author. It slows the pace, breaks several strict writing rules at that, and adds needless info irrelevent to the scene. TUF was a shocking sample of this. Endless lists of names . . .

Allston's Wraith Squad Trilogy was great . . . his SOA and Enemy Lines Duology was pure rubbish. I have little interest in sampling his coming SW trio. I haven't bought a SW book since TUF came out, if Shatterpoint can be considered one. And it looks like another year too.

Why would I buy Survivor's Quest if the book character will not know the answers the reader will decades ago? If they made a 10th X-wing books, it'd only have starfighter names and fights we haven't already seen before, and they can't seem to say much other than sithspit or sithspawn.

I want to read something worthwhile, not books that milk the cow dry. Another Wheel of Time novel is coming next year, the 12th one, there's a large pool of dissatisfaction from just midseries when plot repetition is the way to go.

:p

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Brain Jaques and Tom Clancy

NO. Jaques has not had a new idea in years, what would we have? Ewok novels? Clancy would probably find some way to throw the russians in against the empire.

16. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    There are two sorts of Star Wars authors. Those who see it as easy-pay hackwork, and those who take it seriously. Traviss, Stover, Stewart, Luceno, Zahn, Allston -- they all do it well (or at least to the best of their abilities. It's the people like Shane&Dix, Sherman&Cragg, KJA and so forth you need to watch out for.

I would argue that KJA did work to the best of his abilities. :p

17. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Unfortunately, we're never going to see a SW humor novel.

If we did, I'd love to see Donald Westlake write it.

18. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    I flat out refuse to read the Timothy book set after Yavin. Skywalker won't even have the Force. Like the Empire comics, the core cast it will have won't die! Where's the drama!

You assume that he's going to be writing about the core cast. I'd at least wait until I heard what it was about to decry it. :)

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I would argue that KJA did work to the best of his abilities.

I'll second that.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    True, ATimson. But this is Del Rey, and it's set after Yavin, and they think nothing brings in strong readership than a book spam pack with all those movie names.

Just the setting tells you a lot, and I have a few pipelines myself. [face_batting]

21. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    Goodkind.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    If Goodkind were writing SW, we'd have Jedi apprentices having to go through kinky sex rituals, Mara would probably be raped and killed, Han would be tortured and turn into a communist . . . on second thought -- maybe Goodkind should write some SW. . . ;)

Did you hear that Tor had to recall every single DEBT OF BONES paperback because the copyright page said that the book was copyright Robert Jordan. Heckuva mistake, huh?

23. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    True, ATimson. But this is Del Rey, and it's set after Yavin, and they think nothing brings in strong readership than a book spam pack with all those movie names.

On the other hand, this is Zahn. Y'know, the guy who the editors seem to be afraid of? If he wants to do something unexpected, they'll let him.

Just the setting tells you a lot, and I have a few pipelines myself.

I wish I had pipelines. :(

24. JadedSkycrawler

JadedSkycrawler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2002
    J.K Rowling? o_O oh no, not really.
    I was thinking Margaret Weis actually, or- and I'm sure this would NEVER happen- Anne Rice. However one of my favorite authors is already writing star wars, so I can't complain. (troy denning) I'm just hoping I don't lose my sanity searching without success for spoilers on the upcoming darknest trilogy. [face_praying]

25. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    If Goodkind were writing SW, we'd have Jedi apprentices having to go through kinky sex rituals, Mara would probably be raped and killed, Han would be tortured and turn into a communist . . . on second thought -- maybe Goodkind should write some SW. . .

As long as it wasn't one of the preachy volumes (Faith being the one that comes foremost to mind), it'd all be good. :)

Did you hear that Tor had to recall every single DEBT OF BONES paperback because the copyright page said that the book was copyright Robert Jordan. Heckuva mistake, huh?

They ain't getting mine. :D I'm actually surprised it took them this long to notice--I could've told them it was wrong last Friday....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.